McKinsey & Company

Updated 11 Dec 2014
Updated 11 Dec 2014

3.9

Associate Interview

Well organised process overal: pre-screening on CV, then PST; if successful at that stage, 2 rounds of interviews: first with more junior staff and eventually with partners; interviews are very flexible (i.e. no great emphasis on formalised competency questions) and cases are generally well structured and well delivered make them pleasant to work through. There is also a fast-track option if you have an exploding competitor offer - in my case, it took only 9 days from initial contact to final interview going through this track.

Interview Questions
    • At a tube station with 3 escalators, 2 are going up and only one is going down. Why is this efficient?   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The process was very quick but this could be due to the fact that the firm was recruiting specifically from my business school. There were clear deadlines to submit your application and then they quickly came back with an interview invite. I put down three cities in order of preference and I was invited to interview for my 2nd preference city.

Interview Questions
    • It was a question about the industry I had a strong background in and the interviewer asked me how I see the industry changing in the future.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

I was invited to the Problem Solving Test and prepared with the samples online and GRE/GMAT material.Communication in advance and feedback were good. The test room was too hot and cramped.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Test, 2 rounds of interviews

Business Analyst Interview

First you do an exam, then you have 6 interviews (2 rounds of 3 people). The first round is with more junior people. Each interview is case based. You can check the website for more info. The process is very transparent.

Interview Questions
    • The case is difficult but you can prepare by reading cases in the website and external books   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

4 steps - first a screening of CV, then the problem solving test, then 2 rounds of interviews (3 interviews each). In the first round I got 3 cases - one was profitability-framework oriented, the other two business situation-oriented (think 3Cs or 4Ps). The cases were pretty straightforward but you do need to do the math quickly and without mistakes + be very structured. Apart from the cases there are general 'fit' questions.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to calculate the impact of cost changes on a company.   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2014.

I applied online where I was asked to submit my CV and cover letter. Including some other details. I went through individual interview, problem solving and case study presentation. My case study was on an oil and gas company wanting to start a new business in a new country.

Consultant Interview

I was interviewing for a summer role at the London office during my MBA. Although McKinsey undertook lots of activity in the run up to the recruitment process both in their offices and on campus, they offered very few roles to the cohort. Mixed bag of people – some nice, some very robotic.

Interview Questions
    • Questions that weren't applicable to my professional history.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied online and was invited to take the PST after about 2 weeks. The PST is hard, and is meant to be, so do not be disheartened. However, practice WILL help, and you should be getting the hang of it after a few mock tests. Another week after the PST, I was invited to first round interviews. There was a lot of support at this stage, both a "trial run" telephone practice session with a current business analyst at the office I was applying for, as well a an evening coaching session organised by the local McKinsey office. For the first round interview, I had 2 interviewers taking turns to interview me one at a time (I had the first interviewer with me in the room for 1 hour, he then left and then the 2nd interviewer came in to conduct her interview). Both interviews were similar, with general personal experience questions during the first half hour and a case during the second half hour.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation in which you resolved a conflict within a group.   View Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2014.

Target school APD (Advanced Professional Degree) BTO (Business Technology Office) for London office. Problem solving test was waived, as I'd taken it previously. 1st round interview was great, well organized and very enjoyable. My 2nd round interview was botched. I was handed off to three different recruiters, with long (1 month+) delays. Took continual prompting and asking a friend in another office to help out to finish the process. The BTO intake seems disorganized compared to the standard batch-day process. 20/20 hindsight, I'd apply as a generalist consultant.

Interview Questions
    • Standard McKinsey process. The London-specific 'role-play' scenario was the only unusual bit.   View Answer