McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr 2015

3.9

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England) in April 2015.

Interview

Typical consulting interview process -- apply online with CV and cover letter, first round interviews, final round interviews. Expect the interviews to have both fit and case components, in both first round and final rounds. Definitely a benefit if you are a current student and can attend sessions to meet people and get a pulse for the company and culture

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

First of all, you need to submit you online application(it requires CV only). It is quite difficult to be shortlisted for the next stage which is PST(Problem Solving Test). This is the most difficult numerical test that you can encounter if you apply to the top companies. If you are able to achieve certain number of points(they never disclose how many you need or how many you actually achieved), then you are invited to the First Round Interviews(2 interviews - both consist of 1 general fit question + Case Study Interview) it takes 1 hour in total. Next, there is the Second Round Interviews(the final round). It is always held in the office you applied to and this time you are being interviewed by more senior interviewers. If you are successful in the final round, then you receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to convince somebody to something. What did you do and how did you do it?   Answer Question

Summer Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England).

Interview

After McKinsey accepted my CV, I was invited for their test (PST). The test consists of 26 questions in an hour. Questions are case based and require you to perform both qualitative and quantitative reasoning. You will be short on time so may be forced to give educated guesses for some of the questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the LEAST appropriate answer for this question.   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England).

Interview

2 interviews, 20 min fit and 40 min case. I was told that I failed on count of the fact that my fit was not adequate, my maths was a little slow and I wasn't creative enough with offering a solution - I was too stuck to frameworks. Essentially I had practice far too much in getting the frameworks right and not spent enough time on the other things - when they are not even that important. Useful to just think up logical frameworks.

Delivery Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England) in February 2015.

Interview

Overall the interview process was rather disjointed. The initial telephone interview with HR was as expected very glossy and easy to walk through. After this a series of telephone interviews took place with various members of staff in London and New York.

I spoke for some time with a member of staff n New York, in my opinion a rather dull and emotionless interview. It was very clear that no common ground was being discussed and I was given the feeling that the person on the other end of the call was doing her nails. The interview style was unlike anything I had experienced before, with questions being so 'open' it was hard to nail any specific answer..

The face to face took place in McKinsey & Company's office in London. I was led into a meeting room at 10:00am by a lady who had obviously forgotten her personality that morning. After 30mins of waiting it was clear that I had been forgotten about. A short while after this two young men entered the room with a look of 'We will carry out this interview even though we only found out about it 2mins ago', (I was due to meet someone else that morning who was called away to a meeting in Scotland), these things happen i guess.. Worth pointing out that this was for a contracting role and not perm, also worth noting that I had travelled 200miles for this interview and was under the impression that we were at final stage..

The opening line from my expert interview panel was, Sorry Mr X is away, after this interview could you come back later in the week.. However unbeknown to them, at 10:15am that morning I had decided that a career move to the mighty McKinsey would end badly! "No" was my response, which to my amusement confused my new found friends. As you can imagine this was a great opener and something neither of them had experienced before, however they looked more shocked when I asked for drink, having sat in the nasty little room for over an hour.

To be honest, the questions were as expected. Interviews around agile based software delivery always yield the same competency based issues, so nothing new or out of the ordinary. Having said that, I would imagine we had all mad our minds up way before this dance started.

As for the agility "expert" sorry I forgot your name (I shall call you Mr Nice Suit), not everyone has the compulsion or obsessive need to increase their Klout by writing a Blog and although I'm sure the internet appreciates the endless bandwidth you consume with your thoughts and opinions, it really doesn't deserve the kudos you believe, in fairness it more than likely adds to the problem of miss-information and bad advice that any search for 'why can't my team deliver quality?' returns in Google;)

As for attending Agile hangouts of an evening afterwork, while i'm sure they are interesting in their own right and full of like minded people, i'd sooner fight my way home and spend time with the little ones. I normally spend 9 hours a day at the office, couple with that an additional 3 hrs on the train, the last thing any sane person would wish to do is talk about the latest additions to SAFe or Scrum 2. Whilst i'm sure the departure from 'commitment' to 'forecast' provides the stimulation of a night in Las Vegas it's not for those who don't have a World of Warcraft account or girlfriend.

So, please accept my open apology for waisting your time and whilst I appreciate you are the mighty McKinsey & Company, you need to let the professionals represent you front of house!

Parting words of wisdom:

Arrive late, they won't mind
    Take your own refreshments

Interview Questions

• Do you blog?   1 Answer
    • Do you attend Agile Hangouts?   1 Answer
    • Sorry the chap you were supposed to meet is away on business, can you come back later in the week after we have this interview?   1 Answer

Marketing and Sales - Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England) in February 2015.

Interview

After being contacted by a recruiter, I sent my CV and university documents. McK contacted me to have a 'fit screening' on the phone. HR person explicitly told me there would be no case interviews at this stage, that it would be rather a personal fit call. The screening call person was very friendly, and the first 15 minutes we talked about statistical methods and programming skills. The second half was a case study, which surprised me, because of the statements of the HR lady, but the case study was really not that difficult.
    In the end, we did not continue further, because the position required more programming skills than I had to offer.

Interview Questions

• A product sells for 2£. The CEO asks you how much more he has to sell to have the same gains when he drops the price 10% and wants to up his sales by 5%.   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

First round of two interviews and the PST then the final round of three interviews, all with cases, just as it describes on the website. No surprises at all, just prep prep prep!

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected, the process is very transparent. It feels a little odd not to be asked "why consulting?" or "why McKinsey" ...I had questions about conflict, difficult team situations and exceptional challenge/accomplishment. A lot of time was spent analysing the framework I had set out to solve the case study and this was true for all 3 final round interviews, so know why you're asking that question within your framework.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Interview

Well organised process overal: pre-screening on CV, then PST; if successful at that stage, 2 rounds of interviews: first with more junior staff and eventually with partners; interviews are very flexible (i.e. no great emphasis on formalised competency questions) and cases are generally well structured and well delivered make them pleasant to work through. There is also a fast-track option if you have an exploding competitor offer - in my case, it took only 9 days from initial contact to final interview going through this track.

Interview Questions

• At a tube station with 3 escalators, 2 are going up and only one is going down. Why is this efficient?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Process took about 2 months. After attending a networking event I was invited to take the PST. Very hard test but fortunately got through. First round consisted of two 60-minute interviews with a consultant and an engagement manager. Ver focused competency questions testing only teamwork in both interviews. Case studies seem easy but they are not. Quite complicated and nothing you have heard before.

Interview Questions

• Advice our client whether he should invest in the utilities of a new city build in the desert   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The process was very quick but this could be due to the fact that the firm was recruiting specifically from my business school. There were clear deadlines to submit your application and then they quickly came back with an interview invite. I put down three cities in order of preference and I was invited to interview for my 2nd preference city.

Interview Questions

• It was a question about the industry I had a strong background in and the interviewer asked me how I see the industry changing in the future.   Answer Question