McKinsey & Company

Updated 27 Jan 2015
Updated 27 Jan 2015

3.9

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

First round of two interviews and the PST then the final round of three interviews, all with cases, just as it describes on the website. No surprises at all, just prep prep prep!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, the process is very transparent. It feels a little odd not to be asked "why consulting?" or "why McKinsey" ...I had questions about conflict, difficult team situations and exceptional challenge/accomplishment. A lot of time was spent analysing the framework I had set out to solve the case study and this was true for all 3 final round interviews, so know why you're asking that question within your framework.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Well organised process overal: pre-screening on CV, then PST; if successful at that stage, 2 rounds of interviews: first with more junior staff and eventually with partners; interviews are very flexible (i.e. no great emphasis on formalised competency questions) and cases are generally well structured and well delivered make them pleasant to work through. There is also a fast-track option if you have an exploding competitor offer - in my case, it took only 9 days from initial contact to final interview going through this track.

Interview Questions
    • At a tube station with 3 escalators, 2 are going up and only one is going down. Why is this efficient?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Process took about 2 months. After attending a networking event I was invited to take the PST. Very hard test but fortunately got through. First round consisted of two 60-minute interviews with a consultant and an engagement manager. Ver focused competency questions testing only teamwork in both interviews. Case studies seem easy but they are not. Quite complicated and nothing you have heard before.

Interview Questions
    • Advice our client whether he should invest in the utilities of a new city build in the desert   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The process was very quick but this could be due to the fact that the firm was recruiting specifically from my business school. There were clear deadlines to submit your application and then they quickly came back with an interview invite. I put down three cities in order of preference and I was invited to interview for my 2nd preference city.

Interview Questions
    • It was a question about the industry I had a strong background in and the interviewer asked me how I see the industry changing in the future.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

I was invited to the Problem Solving Test and prepared with the samples online and GRE/GMAT material.Communication in advance and feedback were good. The test room was too hot and cramped.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

The london office does not take cover letter. After the 1st screening, the candidates are asked to take Problem Solving Test. The result of PST will be revealed in a week, and successful candidates will be invited to the next round personal interview.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Test, 2 rounds of interviews

Business Analyst Interview

First you do an exam, then you have 6 interviews (2 rounds of 3 people). The first round is with more junior people. Each interview is case based. You can check the website for more info. The process is very transparent.

Interview Questions
    • The case is difficult but you can prepare by reading cases in the website and external books   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

4 steps - first a screening of CV, then the problem solving test, then 2 rounds of interviews (3 interviews each). In the first round I got 3 cases - one was profitability-framework oriented, the other two business situation-oriented (think 3Cs or 4Ps). The cases were pretty straightforward but you do need to do the math quickly and without mistakes + be very structured. Apart from the cases there are general 'fit' questions.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to calculate the impact of cost changes on a company.   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2014.

I applied online where I was asked to submit my CV and cover letter. Including some other details. I went through individual interview, problem solving and case study presentation. My case study was on an oil and gas company wanting to start a new business in a new country.