McKinsey & Company

692 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Consultant Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in December 2013.

Interview Details Submitted CV and cover letter online and received an email inviting me to a 1 hour problem solving test at a nearby McKinsey office 2 weeks later. Completed the test and was emailed 1 week later informing me that I had passed the test and was invited to the next round of face to face interviews. I was given a range of dates to choose from as well as the chance to attend a training session beforehand. The format was two 1 hour interviews with a different consultant. The first half hour of each interview was an in depth analysis of a single behavioural question eg "Describe a time you overcame an obstacle to achieve a goal". The second half hour was a case study of the type that can be found on McKinsey's career page with plenty of steering by the consultants.

Interview Question – Not a specific question but they will probe very deep on the behavioural question. Make sure that any example you use has enough meat to last for 30 minutes of discussion.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

London, England

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details Test, 2 rounds of interviews

Interview Question – Do you really want to focus on the UK?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Junior Associate Interview

London, England

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2014.

Interview Details Target school APD (Advanced Professional Degree) BTO (Business Technology Office) for London office. Problem solving test was waived, as I'd taken it previously. 1st round interview was great, well organized and very enjoyable. My 2nd round interview was botched. I was handed off to three different recruiters, with long (1 month+) delays. Took continual prompting and asking a friend in another office to help out to finish the process. The BTO intake seems disorganized compared to the standard batch-day process. 20/20 hindsight, I'd apply as a generalist consultant.

Interview Question – Standard McKinsey process. The London-specific 'role-play' scenario was the only unusual bit.   View Answer

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details First you do an exam, then you have 6 interviews (2 rounds of 3 people). The first round is with more junior people. Each interview is case based. You can check the website for more info. The process is very transparent.

Interview Question – The case is difficult but you can prepare by reading cases in the website and external books   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details 4 steps - first a screening of CV, then the problem solving test, then 2 rounds of interviews (3 interviews each). In the first round I got 3 cases - one was profitability-framework oriented, the other two business situation-oriented (think 3Cs or 4Ps). The cases were pretty straightforward but you do need to do the math quickly and without mistakes + be very structured. Apart from the cases there are general 'fit' questions.

Interview Question – I was asked to calculate the impact of cost changes on a company.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details I was interviewing for a summer role at the London office during my MBA. Although McKinsey undertook lots of activity in the run up to the recruitment process both in their offices and on campus, they offered very few roles to the cohort. Mixed bag of people – some nice, some very robotic.

Interview Question – Questions that weren't applicable to my professional history.   Answer Question

Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details Applied online and was invited to take the PST after about 2 weeks. The PST is hard, and is meant to be, so do not be disheartened. However, practice WILL help, and you should be getting the hang of it after a few mock tests. Another week after the PST, I was invited to first round interviews. There was a lot of support at this stage, both a "trial run" telephone practice session with a current business analyst at the office I was applying for, as well a an evening coaching session organised by the local McKinsey office. For the first round interview, I had 2 interviewers taking turns to interview me one at a time (I had the first interviewer with me in the room for 1 hour, he then left and then the 2nd interviewer came in to conduct her interview). Both interviews were similar, with general personal experience questions during the first half hour and a case during the second half hour.

Interview Question – Tell me about a situation in which you resolved a conflict within a group.   View Answer

BA Intern Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details I got called to the PST test, and having passed that, through to the first round interviews. My interview consisted of 2 x 1hour interviews with junior Mckinsey consultants (around 2 years of experience). The interviews was made up of around 10 minutes of behavioural based questions (tell me a bit about yourself, how do you deal with conflict), and then 40 minutes of a business case study

Interview Question – Business case discussing market share of a Tractor company based in the USA   Answer Question

Oxford, England

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2013.

Interview Details Phone Interview and Mock Research Design

Interview Question – Asked me some questions in Spanish unexpectedly, as I had said in application that I also speak Spanish   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Was only for 4 month internship and though it paid well, I wanted something more long term.

Very Difficult Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2013.

Interview Details 1st round PST, 2nd round of 2 interviews, final round of 3 interviews (all case & personal)

Interview Question – The role play was probably the toughest part, wasn't sure how much to embellish on the text written in front of you. This was apparently the weakest part of my final round and the reason I didn't get the offer   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at McKinsey & Company

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!

McKinsey & Company Videos

McKinsey & Company – Why Work for Us?

​ Someone once said “Far and away, the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Our consultants tackle complex, world-shaping challenges… from re-imagining healthcare… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McKinsey & Company interview questions and advice. All 692 interview reviews are posted anonymously by McKinsey & Company employees and interview candidates.