McKinsey & Company

14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Summer Business Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details Initially, I had to do a test and there was a pre-interview workshop. Then there were two interviews at the London offices, both involving both a personal experience element and a written case study.

Interview Question – What is the most interesting thing on your CV?   Answer Question

London, England

I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2012.

Interview Details First round consisted of 2 one on one interviews at the office. First was competency based and short case, second was a longer case. Very friendly staff.

Final round consisted of 3 interviews + a coffee chat at hotel in the countryside. Interviews included case studies, competency and role playing. Very friendly staff who are eager to make your experience worthwhile.

Definitely made my like the company more.

Interview Question – Business Case: Whether or not a mobile phone distributor should close up all of its brick and mortar stores to make space for ecommerce expansion.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Taipei (Taiwan)

I applied online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2013.

Interview Details 1. Sent the resume and cover letter through their website
2. Asked to attend the PST and a small English oral proficiency test (a small and relaxing chat)
3. Asked to attend the "batch day" when most candidates gather in the office to take the case interview.There will be at least 2 case interviews in one round (45 minutes each, will give you abundant time to take a break between interviews)
4. After the round of interview, your interviewer will give you feedback immediately and tell you if you pass the round, if not, you can go home directly... (Cruel!!)
5. If you pass the round, you will be asked to take the next round of interview, same process as above. There will be at least 3 rounds, and I failed in the 2nd round...

Interview Question – Nothing "unexpected", because the expectation is that the interview will be difficult and unexpected. PST and case interviews are just as what they should be like.   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details Recruiting was very detailed: starting with an elaborate information session with multiple alumni. First round was resume screen with additional standardized testing (kind of like an iq test) second round was interviews with managers and above and final round was with partners. The interviews were mostly case interviews although the interviews with partners can be more flexible

Interview Question – Most of the interview questions were expected, but they can chose to reject your for the smallest mistakes.   Answer Question

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details Everyone was very nice. Interview consisted of the test and two case studies. Final round was with MD.

Interview Question – Case studies are the most difficult. Can't really prepare besides a lot of practice   Answer Question

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details Applied through campus career services. Received email indicating that would be invited to first round. First had to take a difficult exam to assess problem solving ability. Then two interviews at the McKinsey office in Philadelphia, where we waited with the other candidates. A very intimidating process. I was informed that I would receive a follow up phone call the next week. The interviewers were not very forthcoming with information about the details of the decision making process.

Interview Question – What was one time you overcame a challenge and showed leadership?   Answer Question

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details Online application, numerical test at one European office closest to my place, then flight to the office I applied to, a super-day with 5 interviews.

Interview Question – Tell me about the recent crisis you handled?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2013.

Interview Details Used a contact to get in touch with 2-3 BAs before I sent in a resume. Met the recruiter at an info session. After being selected for 1st round, was given a "prep buddy" who was extremely helpful. There is a PST (problem solving test) first. It's tricky, but apparently just another data point. 1st round interview was at the office, which was very nice. Got a great vibe. Both interviewers were very, very pleasant. Standard behavioral + case format. McK does behavioral slightly differently with the PEI--personal experience interview. They dig very deep into your story. Cases were fairly straight-forward. Advanced to the final round and many people reached out offering help/advice. Final round consister of three 1-hr interviews. 1 was with a director, 2 with associate principals. Got an offer 30 minutes later.

Interview Question – Nothing in particular stands out.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Summer Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details You get recruited if you're coming from a top-tier institution, and you'll only get an interview after being a top candidate in terms of GPA, accomplishments...etc. There's a terribly long test you have to take before your interview as well. The process was very forced and in general I felt like the people in McKinsey are more type-A and cutthroat compared to the people I've met at comparable consulting firms.

Interview Question – The fit question is very in-depth. They will ask you every little detail about a situation--what did you think? Why did you think that? What would you do differently? Who were the people involved...etc.   Answer Question

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details I've attended to an information session at our college then applied online. There were two rounds of interview, at the first round I had two interviews with an associate partner and an engagement manager. In the second round, I had 3 interviews with an associate partner, engagement manager and a partner. The interviews were typical case interviews although in the first round they asked some 'leadership' questions.

Interview Question – Give me an example when you had to persuade someone?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at McKinsey & Company

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!

McKinsey & Company Videos

McKinsey & Company – Why Work for Us?

​ Someone once said “Far and away, the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Our consultants tackle complex, world-shaping challenges… from re-imagining healthcare… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McKinsey & Company Summer Business Analyst interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by McKinsey & Company employees and interview candidates.