Merkle

61 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Project Manager Interview

Interviewed at Merkle

Interview Details Before the interview, I was asked to prepare a presentation in which I walked through a challenging project I had managed. During the presentation there was open discussion about the details of th eproject and how I handled certain situations.

Interview Question – Choosing a project to present.   Answer Question

Digital Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Merkle.

Interview Details Was approached by a recruiter, who forgot our first phone appointment. After a brief conversation, a phoner with the hiring manager was set up. Hiring manager couldn't make that call, so hiring manager's boss ran the phone interview, which was cursory and somewhat uninformative due to lack of familiarity with the day-to-day of the role.
Was brought in for an in-person interview with 5 people, complete with presentation as others have mentioned. Of the 5, the hiring manager was 15 minutes late for my interview and left after 5 minutes, and promised to return for my presentation but never did. Another interviewer had no idea what position I was interviewing for. All made multiple references to being "a start-up culture", despite working for a company that is decidedly not a start-up. I believe they believe "start-up culture" means "overworked, understaffed, and miserable but we have SNACKS".
Another phone interview was set up for another position. That hiring manager blew off that phoner.
Another recruiter reached out to explain there has been a lot of confusion about what position I was there for, but all agreed I was a good company fit and they would contact me in a few weeks.
Total chaos and a barely apologetic waste of time.

Interview Question – What position are you here for?   View Answer

Manager Interview

Columbia, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Merkle in February 2014.

Interview Details I applied for a position posted on Merkle's website in late December and was contacted via email to setup a phone screen in January.

Phone screen was with the supervisor of the position and went well. She told me that HR would email me to setup an interview. At the end of the call, she mentioned the presentation that is required during the interview process.

HR contacted me asking for dates I was available. They setup the interview for late February due to month end close and the on-going year end audit.

I interviewed with 2 employees who would be direct reports to the position, a peer and the supervisor who was a Director. I was to interview with the VP/Controller but she was travelling on business. They allotted a 1/2 hour with each person. We were able to go over since the VP would not be interviewing me. I found that even with 40-45 minutes I did not have as much time as I would have liked with each person. Everyone seemed thoroughly enthusiastic and praised Merkle. The Director conducted her interview over lunch and then I gave my presentation.

HR emailed me that day to come back the following week for an interview with the VP during lunch. She escorted me to the Director afterwards where I could ask additional questions. The Director stated she would get back to me either that day or the next.

She called the next day to offer me the job and I accepted.

Overall, the process was very organized and they made the decision quickly.

Interview Question – I did not have any difficult questions. They asked a lot of questions so you really need to know yourself and what you bring to the table. I understood the position and what I would be doing so I could focus on those aspects of my experience when discussing the benefits of hiring me.
The hardest part for me was the presentation. As an Accountant, I am used to presenting numbers to people who have a vested interest in the company. I did not think these people would be interested in numbers for another company. I chose a leadership topic involving mentoring employees and managing the project. It seemed to do the trick.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was not necessary. The offer was well worth the transition.

Director Interview

Director
Columbia, MD (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Merkle in December 2012.

Interview Details Ebullient phone screen followed by several telephone interviews, an onsite session of face to face interviews over one day, a business case presentation and a follow up caucus of interviewers regarding the candidate. A fair amount of disinformation is shared during this process to get you excited about the "special culture" Merkle offers to its employees.

Interview Question – Curve ball questions are typically thrown at you regarding how you dealt with a difficult client, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Zero flexibility (and a fair amount of misrepresentation).

Operations Analyst Intern Interview

Little Rock, AR (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merkle in December 2012.

Interview Details I applied for this college internship position through an employer referral. I did 2 15-20 minute screens. The first was with the hiring manager and it was basic questions about my experience/school work/resume. The second was with a Tech Lead from the account team the position was for, and it was mostly focused on my technical background and experience and my exposure to SQL. I then was asked to come for on site interviews a couple weeks later. This consisted of 3 back to back interviews with potential team members. The order was: Senior Operations Analyst, Lead Operations Analyst, Director. They were relaxed and conversational. Each person gave an overview of the account from their position and explained the internship position briefly. They each asked me about my background and experience and general questions about my resume. I was asked about my experience with SQL, etc. As this was for an internship, I was not required to give a presentation. I was asked questions about class projects and experiences, but no formal presentation. Overall, the experience was great and took about a month from applying to accepting their offer.

Interview Question – The questions were all straightforward and nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation as the position was a college internship. However, I was offered a full time position after graduation. They presented their initial offer and I was able to negotiate a higher starting salary with the input of my manager (accepted starting salary was ~15% more than initial offer).

Database Developer Interview

Database Developer
Marlborough, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Merkle in July 2011.

Interview Details I got a call from the HR when one of my friend referred me . She asked basic questions regarding relocation and my education level. Then scheduled a date for a Skype interview online with 3 of my team members and finally received a call the very next morning that i have been offered this position.

Interview Question – One of the interviewer asked me questions relating to OS level / Linux, Unix related regarding how to Free up the memory when the process is not running or seems to be hung?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing much to negotiate as i joined this company as an entry level.

Database Developer Interview

Database Developer
Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Merkle.

Interview Details Got the interview through college hiring. Got the interview after that and went through phone interview. It's the basic questions regarding data warehouse, design, implementation and some behavior question. Not too tough.

Interview Question – talk about clustered index vs. non-clustered, etc   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – barely room for salary negotiation

Digital Advertising Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Merkle.

Interview Details Merkle is very particular about recruiting and retaining top talent (think intelligent, fun, hardworking and driven), so expect a rigorous interview process to match. I had a pretty standard phone interview (talked through my resume and was asked about how familiar I was with some industry-specific terminology) before being contacted 2 days later to be invited onsite for Merkle's infamous day of interviews. This consists of back-to-back half-hour long interviews (usually ranging from between 4-6), followed by a project review where you deliver a presentation about a project you have worked on and its relevancy to your application. This presentation is prepared in advance and delivered to the people who interviewed you, as well as anyone else who wants to sit in. Expect questions! Interviews were all fairly friendly, with no unusually tricky questions.

While probably a more challenging process when compared to most companies, I never found it difficult, and those who feel the same way are likely those who will do well with Merkle's strong company culture. I received an offer within a few days - salary was a little lower than I would have liked, maybe slightly below industry average. I still accepted it because the people I met were inspiring, benefits sounded promising (unlimited vacation days!) and the office is absolutely beautiful. It was a very fast-moving and professionally organized process, and I would most definitely recommend it.

Interview Question – What is an ad exchange?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Statistician Interview

Senior Statistician

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Merkle.

Interview Details Onsite interviewing in Baltimore, after 2 rounds of phone screening

Interview Question – Can you describe a hypothesis test that could be used before clustering is done on customer data?   Answer Question

Business Systems Analyst I Interview

Business Systems Analyst I
Marlborough, MA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Merkle in April 2011.

Interview Details Initial communication was through my school's career services department where I saw the posting and I applied. I was called for a phone interview, about a month later was invited for another round of interviews and office tour. Two weeks past and I received a call and offer letter, had 2/3 days to decide.

Interview Question – Would you rather fight a horse-sized duck or 100 duck sized horses?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Merkle

Worked for Merkle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Merkle interview questions and advice. All 61 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Merkle employees and interview candidates.