Michaels Stores

Updated 18 Nov 2014
Updated 18 Nov 2014

1.9

Replenishment Associate Interview

It was a very easy and friendly interview, it contained average questions why do you want the job, what days are you available, are you ok with working early mornings.

None

Support Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores.

I applied online on a Thursday and received a call the following Monday to set up an interview. The interview was scheduled for Wednesday and I was told I would basically have the job and they would call me back after the background check. Received the call Friday and started the following Monday.

Interview Questions
    • They literally did not ask me any interview questions, other than, "I assume you're a self-starter, right?" Otherwise the assistant manager just talked to me about her personal life.   Answer Question
    I did not try to negotiate a pay and wish I had. I did not realize how many tasks the job entailed until I actually started, and quickly realized that I should have been getting paid much more.

Technical Business Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Michaels Stores.

no testes prior to interview. A phone interview with basic questions about my previous job experience and technical exposure. and finally they told they are planning to higher a .net developer itself instead of a Technical BA with .Net skills. The interview process was quick and good.

Interview Questions
    • nothing difficult or very technical during phone interview   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pearland, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pearland, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores in November 2014.

I applied online, got a call about a week later to set up an interview the next day. I came in and met with the manager in the Michael's classroom expecting to answer basic interview questions, but instead I just got asked about my availability. She then mentioned the job description and said the job was mine. (I had to tell her I needed time to think about accepting it.) I was the one that had to strike up questions about hours, holiday scheduling, training, etc. I got their 15 min early for the interview and left about 15-20 min. later. Not a difficult interview at all. If you want it, you can get it. It's just a matter of liking how their hours available and scheduling is like.

Interview Questions

I actually haven't accepted or declined yet, still thinking it over. Reason being is that they offer $7.50/hr (non-negotiable). I wanted something with a little bit higher pay, but I do like the flexible hours and laid-back atmosphere...

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores.

I applied online and went into an hour-long group interview. I was only there with two other interviewees and a manager and supervisor were there to interview us. They asked us if we had already filled out the application (which we all had) and then they had us write down our names and the position we were interested in. The two ladies who were interviewing us were super nice and funny and laidback, which was good. They basically just explained each job description and talking a little about the different classes that they offered for different positions. We then played two truths and a lie, which I really wasn't expecting. And then after that, they just explained some stuff more and asked if we had any questions, which they were good about answering.

Interview Questions
    • We weren't really asked any questions. It was mostly them talking and us asking some clarifying questions about different positions and hours.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. That part was also pretty straightforward and quick. They called a few days after the group interview and asked if I wanted the job. I said yes, and I went in the following Friday to get set up.

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores.

The interview process consist of two interviews. One with the assistant manager and then the store manager. They ask behavior questions. They also explain to you what your role would be at the store.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult. They were behavioral, you just need to prepare for them.   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores.

Filled an online application which was fairly easy - a lot of personality questions (strongly agree, disagree, etc.). I got a call within the next week if I'm still interested in the position (which I did) and if I would like to schedule an interview two days after. Interview was very nice, manager was friendly, very interested in me (I'm from Europe, moved to the US couple of months ago). Standard questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle difficult customers (I had no prior experience)   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores.

It was a bit strange. Filled out an online application, you couldn't just go in and get one. The application included a personality test (strongly disagree, disagree, neutral, agree, strongly agree) which was pretty straightforward. It tried to get you to contradict yourself in a few places - just stick to your guns and act like you're a shining example of excellence. About 3 days later, I got a call to come in for an interview the next day. I practiced questions/answers and was ready to give a pretty good interview. Went in and waited about 15 minutes until they were done interviewing another woman. She called me in. She looked over my application and realized I had went to the same local high-school as her daughter. Turns out I knew her, along with another person that worked in the store. After that, there were no questions. She spent about 10 minutes discussing the job duties and then told me to call the following week for my schedule. She was real nice but seemed tired. She talked about the "big boss" and how he was hard to deal with. Anyway, I called and was given a day to come in for paper-signing/official hiring and god my schedule for the next week during the same call.

Interview Questions
    She said it was usually 7.30 per hour but was trying to get the boss man to go for 8. I nodded like a bobble-head and we moved on. No real negotiation.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2014.

Applied online after a newspaper ad got passed around encouraging people to apply for seasonal positions. After about 2-3 weeks I got a call from my local store's hiring department asking if I was still interested, and if the hours I said I was available for were still accurate. I said they were, and was invited to come in for an interview a few days later. If I could have every single job interview I'll ever have to do go like it did, I'll die happy. I was sat in a small back room with two employees and it was more casual than I was expecting, very warm and friendly people. I mentioned all the crafting hobbies I have and they seemed very interested in that. 20-ish minutes later I was done, and literally three hours later I got a call back offering a position, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    Interviewer was very firm that pay would be minimum wage, with the possibility of a raise if I got hired full-time.

Seasonal Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2014.

This was a group interview. It was scheduled for 11:00, but for some reason the interviewer started 15 minutes early and treated on time arrivals as though they were holding her up. We were, also asked detailed questions involving company policies we had no way of answering. We made our best answers, only to be repeatedly told, "that's not store policy". After the third such question, the interviewer remarked that she didn't shop at Joann's, only Michaels.

Interview Questions
    • The oddest question was, "What would you do if a customer handed you a $50 or $100 for a $3-$5 purchase? We expect you to show some common sense here,"   Answer Question