Microsoft Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated 7 Sep 2014

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

Very standard questions from HR, like give me an example of your team work. Give me an example when someone don't agree with you. For the presentation period, it gives two projects to choose and ask your decision and why.

Interview Questions
This is only an intern job so not too much unexpected, too help you relax, the company has introduction round to keep you calm

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Business Analyst Interview

My first project at Microsoft took 3 hours and I interviewed with 5 separate managers. It was the most exhausting interview process I've ever been through, especially since I slept about 3 hours the night before from being nervous/excited about the interview. Once I had a year under my belt it was easier to navigate the job space within Microsoft.

Interview Questions
    • They were seeking very specific questions on past experience, end-to-end examples on how you tackled a problem, what was your thought process, what hiccups did you encounter and how did you overcome. Be prepared to discuss specific examples.   Answer Question
    No much room for negotiation when you're a vendor or contractor since you deal with external agencies.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

General phone screen before on-site interview. I was told there were multiple candidates for this position but I was one of their top. After waiting 2 weeks+ I finally received an update that they were pursuing internal candidates before external.

Interview Questions
    • How would you prioritize your tasks (x, y, z)? Why do you want to work for Microsoft? Very generalized questions.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2010.

Phone interview then in-person interview

Interview Questions
    • Name a project wher you were not sucessful   View Answer
    There was no negociation

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2010.

The interview was a full day, I met with 8 different people across the business and technology teams the role would be working with.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

HR contacted....walked me through a few different roles. Then contacted again after a few days to set up a phone interview. The interviewer asked about my background and explained about the position and group. He also asked me about a time when I have to push back on my manager in my earlier role. That was it. HR informed me that he was looking for a more senior person and told me that she would find another position for me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to push back on your manager ?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2007.

Microsoft has a very thorough and intense interviewing/hiring process. You're interviewed by recruiters, managers and several team members. Essentially, if you make it past the recruiters, the primary focus is on whether you fit with the team. For some technical positions, there may be some specific technical questions, but “fit” on the team is usually more critical. You will be asked many scenario questions. Each person who interviews you will be expected to immediately fill out a review and rating of the interview. On some teams, if even one member records a negative or “no hire” rating, you will not be hired. Be prepared for a very long day.
    For the most part, those members of the company participating in the interview process are pleasant and professional. They have been carefully trained to not give away any indication of their positive or negative responses to the candidate's interview responses. They tend to avoid discussions of the culture or will make it sound much more positive and supportive than it actually is.
    Once the interview process is complete, the actual negotiation and hiring phase is fairly short.

Interview Questions
    They will negotiate but some managers choose not to. One of their negotiation tools is stock options in leiu of pay. Be careful. They vest at 20% per year and are based on the price at EOD on your hire date.