Microsoft

Updated 9 Dec 2014

3.1

190 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Applied through their on-line system after receiving an Information leaflet from my university's Placements team. Initial selection went smooth, however I failed one of the tests as I had only 48 hours of notice to familiarise myself with the subject matter (I basically received an e-mail with a link to the test and about two days to start the test).

Interview Questions
  • The test I failed was the Numerical Reasoning Test subcontracted from SHL. 24 minutes for 18 questions all based on interpreting graphs and charts and churning out the right numbers as fast as possible.
     The problems themselves were simple, the time was just brutally short.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Intern Interview

Online tests, phone interview then assessment centre

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

I submitted my application through their website. They got back to me over 3 months (close to four months) later for a phone interview. I got an email a couple of weeks later saying I'd performed well in the interview, but that all of the spots for the internship they were considering me for were filled. It happens, but I was obviously very disappointed.

Intern Interview

interviewed at Microsoft in March 2012.

Phone screening

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2009.

They were looking for people with good transferable skills and adaptability rather than strong technical skills. Be friendly and open, and willing to admit when you're wrong or don't know something.

Interview Questions
    • There were a number of logic puzzles within the interview, the one I remember was comparing the height of a body of water with a ship sitting on top of it, compared to the heigh after the ship had been sunk.   View Answer
    No negotiation involved.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Application was straight forward with a cover letter, resume and other common questions. This was then followed up by an online interview where you had to answer some questions, mostly standard ones like name your best qualities etc. After that it was an assessment centre involving two presentations and one final interview with one of the managers. As a note they included both in the same day.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time where you had to change something unexpectedly about a project and tell me about that experience?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Gave resume to recruiter at job fair, about a month later I did an interview in person at my school, about two weeks later got invited to hiring day. The interviewers were friendly, smart, and the questions weren't extremely difficult

Intern Interview

moved quickly, had interview on campus, then at the microsoft campus had four rounds of interview. each interview was around fourty five minutes

Intern Interview

I applied in school career fair, and got an interview a month later. A University recruiter came to my University. He introduced himself and the internship program the day before interview day in a small meeting.
    During the interview, he asked me a question related to strings and pointers.
    After that, we talked about testing and refinement of the previous program.
    Another problem is about linked list.

Interview Questions
    • You should really know how to manipulate pointers in C   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft.

Met college recruiter at schools job fair. Talk about how I got interested into Computer Science which got me an interview. The recruiter was very nice and actually cared about my story and generally wanted to hear it.

At the interview, I got a lot of help from the interviewer on the questions but I was just too nervous to think straight and was still a beginner at CS. Could have passed the interview if just brushed up on basics.

Interview Questions
    • Two behavioral questions.
      Describe about a recent software application you used and how would you improve it.

If Microsoft got into the soda vending machine business, how would come up with a paradigm shift for it?

Tech question:
      Given an array of customer ids, find out if a costumer called more than once. No data structures, other than arrays.

Answer Question