Microsoft

Updated 14 Nov 2014

3.1

185 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Applied through their on-line system after receiving an Information leaflet from my university's Placements team. Initial selection went smooth, however I failed one of the tests as I had only 48 hours of notice to familiarise myself with the subject matter (I basically received an e-mail with a link to the test and about two days to start the test).

Interview Questions
  • The test I failed was the Numerical Reasoning Test subcontracted from SHL. 24 minutes for 18 questions all based on interpreting graphs and charts and churning out the right numbers as fast as possible.
     The problems themselves were simple, the time was just brutally short.
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Intern Interview

Online tests, phone interview then assessment centre

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

I submitted my application through their website. They got back to me over 3 months (close to four months) later for a phone interview. I got an email a couple of weeks later saying I'd performed well in the interview, but that all of the spots for the internship they were considering me for were filled. It happens, but I was obviously very disappointed.

Intern Interview

interviewed at Microsoft in March 2012.

Phone screening

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2009.

They were looking for people with good transferable skills and adaptability rather than strong technical skills. Be friendly and open, and willing to admit when you're wrong or don't know something.

Interview Questions
    • There were a number of logic puzzles within the interview, the one I remember was comparing the height of a body of water with a ship sitting on top of it, compared to the heigh after the ship had been sunk.   View Answer
    No negotiation involved.

Intern Interview

Dropped off my resume at their desk when they stopped my university, received an email a couple of days afterwards to have an interview when they come back to my school two weeks later. The process was nice, actually. My interviewer was very professional, not awkward at all, and was very easy to have a conversation with.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse a string in place. Not the simple string reverse() STL function, but turn the string "My dog jumps over the fence" into "Fence the over jumps dog my".   View Answers (3)

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

From the time I gave my resume to when I got my offer, it took about 2 months.

1) Microsoft was at my school lobby and I dropped off my resume.
    2) About 3-4 weeks later I was invited to a 30-min interview on my University's campus. The interview was easy. First part was to describe a hard project or bug I worked on, and the second part was to code on the white board. Coding question was: Given a string and two chars, find the minimum distance between those two characters in the string.
    3) Since I had another offer which had a near deadline, Microsoft got back to me quickly within a week. I was invited to their Redmond campus for 3 45-min interviews. I did badly in the first question and didn't get to finish my code, did great on the second, and average on the third.

The entire interview process went smoothly and traveling to Redmond was great since everything was paid for and organized really well. I got my interview results in an email when I got back to my hotel after the interview day.

Interview Questions
    • Given a binary tree, where each node has a third reference which is not yet initialized, go through the tree and point the third reference to the rightmost tree node on the same level. If there are no other nodes to its right, point it to null.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Offered a phone interview through university. Interviewer was nice, asked a lot of questions about my personal projects. Asked 3 unusual/unexpected questions: "How would you explain recursion to a child?", "How would you test a vending machine?" and "If you have 9 marbles and one of them is heavier than the rest, how do you find the heaviest one using a scale only twice?"

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I was noticed for an interview one week after the career fair where I gave them my resume. The interview was held in campus and lasted for 40 min. The interviewer was an engineer, and he asked some experiences described in my resume, which took about 20 min. After that, I was given two coding questions, one was how to delete a LinkedList node, given the access to the node. The second one was to reverse a string without using additional strings.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about how to retrieve memory used in the program.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Met with a recruiter during an on campus career day and dropped off my resume. Got contacted about a week later for an on-campus interview. The interview was a short, about ~45 minutes with the first 20 minutes going over my resume, experiences, and other behavioral questions. The last part was a single technical question and going over my solution. The question will be very very easy if you know your stuff or just read CTCI. After that interview I got flown out to Seattle and interviewed at the Bellevue Bing Office. It was a entire day of interviews, I had 4 including a lunch interview. Two interviews were very similar to the first, but with harder technical questions. Two interviews were purely behavioral. Heard back about a week and a half later (mine was quicker than what others may have experienced since I had other offers on the table already).