Microsoft Intern Interview Questions

Updated 26 Oct 2014

3.1

170 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Applied through their on-line system after receiving an Information leaflet from my university's Placements team. Initial selection went smooth, however I failed one of the tests as I had only 48 hours of notice to familiarise myself with the subject matter (I basically received an e-mail with a link to the test and about two days to start the test).

Interview Questions
  • The test I failed was the Numerical Reasoning Test subcontracted from SHL. 24 minutes for 18 questions all based on interpreting graphs and charts and churning out the right numbers as fast as possible.
     The problems themselves were simple, the time was just brutally short.
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Intern Interview

Online tests, phone interview then assessment centre

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

I submitted my application through their website. They got back to me over 3 months (close to four months) later for a phone interview. I got an email a couple of weeks later saying I'd performed well in the interview, but that all of the spots for the internship they were considering me for were filled. It happens, but I was obviously very disappointed.

Intern Interview

interviewed at Microsoft in March 2012.

Phone screening

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2009.

They were looking for people with good transferable skills and adaptability rather than strong technical skills. Be friendly and open, and willing to admit when you're wrong or don't know something.

Interview Questions
    • There were a number of logic puzzles within the interview, the one I remember was comparing the height of a body of water with a ship sitting on top of it, compared to the heigh after the ship had been sunk.   View Answer
    No negotiation involved.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Got selected for an interview with Microsoft through a career fair in college. The interview was held in my college's campus and it lasted for 30 mins. It was A technical round. No behavioral questions asked. I was asked about my previous job experience only. No other behavioral questions asked. The interviewer was pretty cool and was helpful. While solving the problem, when I was stuck, the interviewer gave me certain hints and clues to get to the solution. It was more like a discussion.

Interview Questions
    • For a given anagram find the longest palindrome in it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Contacted by a recruiter for a 25-minutes phone interview. He asked questions about my projects and what had been my contribution. He also asked algorithmic theoretical questions. The recruiter was very cold and the questions were quite different from what I expected. Example: who is the best coder you know and why?

Interview Questions
    • You have 3 water containers. One full of 8 liters and two of 5 and 3 that are empty. What do you do to have exactly 4 liters in the 8 and 4 liters in the 5?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Copenhagen (Denmark)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Copenhagen (Denmark)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

On-campus interview followed up by an on-site interview. The on-campus was ok. I was asked some questions about linked-list and some algorithms to manipulate them. The on-site interview had been ok until one guy asked my hard-core questions about C/C++ (the malloc function). I guessed that was the reason that I did not pass. The next guy asked me to design the battleship game and he obviously seemed to be in a hurry so that I knew that I wouldn't get to no where at that moment.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online and was contacted by email to schedule a phone interview for an SDE internship. The process of getting contacted to schedule the interview to actually having the phone interview took about three weeks.

The interview was approximately 30 minutes and I was asked a variety of questions such as "What is your favorite Microsoft product and what is one thing you would do to improve it?" and "What is the difference between a thread and a process?"

I have to admit that I was caught off guard by a what was essentially a "Knights and Knaves" like question. If you're unfamiliar with those types of problems, I would recommend that you look over them briefly before an interview with them.

Other than that, the interview seemed very standard with the typical questions about my resume.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I was contacted via email and invited to an on-campus interview that lasted 30 minutes long. I was given two programming questions, one related to graphs and the other related to a subarray sum problem. After a few days, I was contacted for second round interviews in Boston, all expenses paid, to be interviewed at the Microsoft Research Building. I had 4 45 minute interviews in the morning, and received an internship offer within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Given a hashmap of abbreviations to a list of what the abbreviations stand for, write a program to guess new abbreviations' expanded forms (even though each letter could stand for many things) based on the mutual probabilities of the words being together in the existing abbreviation database.   View Answer