Microsoft

Getting the Interview

143 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Applied through their on-line system after receiving an Information leaflet from my university's Placements team. Initial selection went smooth, however I failed one of the tests as I had only 48 hours of notice to familiarise myself with the subject matter (I basically received an e-mail with a link to the test and about two days to start the test).

Interview Question – The test I failed was the Numerical Reasoning Test subcontracted from SHL. 24 minutes for 18 questions all based on interpreting graphs and charts and churning out the right numbers as fast as possible.
 The problems themselves were simple, the time was just brutally short.
  Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Online tests, phone interview then assessment centre

Intern

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I submitted my application through their website. They got back to me over 3 months (close to four months) later for a phone interview. I got an email a couple of weeks later saying I'd performed well in the interview, but that all of the spots for the internship they were considering me for were filled. It happens, but I was obviously very disappointed.

Interview Question – Given a string, reverse each token in that string   Answer Question

Intern

I interviewed at Microsoft in March 2012.

Interview Details Phone screening

Interview Question – how would you test a simple 4 operations calculator.   Answer Question

Reading, England

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2009.

Interview Details They were looking for people with good transferable skills and adaptability rather than strong technical skills. Be friendly and open, and willing to admit when you're wrong or don't know something.

Interview Question – There were a number of logic puzzles within the interview, the one I remember was comparing the height of a body of water with a ship sitting on top of it, compared to the heigh after the ship had been sunk.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation involved.

Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2012.

Interview Details Coding test, and then interview with Skype. In the interview, I was asked to explain what I have done before and am doing now, which programming languages I am using, what research topics I am interested in, what kind of project I would like to commit, whether I would like to submit a paper to a conference or contribute some products.

Interview Question – Explain my paper which is my previous major (not directly related to my current major).   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Submitted my resume through my school's career center. Contacted a couple weeks later to schedule a phone interview. Couldn't understand the interviewer. Was notified via email a few weeks later that I was not selected for the final round in Seattle.

Interview Question – Tell me about a challenging project you have completed   Answer Question

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details Everyone was very friendly. Was introduced to the culture at every break.

Interview Question – Given the root of a tree where each node has a string but no parent pointer, output each level of the tree on a separate line. Tree may not be balanced. Expected runtime: O(n).   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details There were 5 rounds of assessment and I partook in 4. 1 CV check, 1 assessment centre and 3 rounds of interview. It was not that difficult but you are required to have good understanding and business sense. All the assessors were supporive, but other staff that were present at the office could come across as distant/ intimidating.

Interview Question – There are questions regarding leadership and soft skills with HR. As you go further, more business-related issues are brought up.   Answer Question

Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

Interview Details Passed the first round on campus. Then they flew me to Bellevue, WA for on-site. 4 interviews back to back. Both behavioral and technical questions were asked. The recruiter told us the result right after the interview

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, just open technical questions that require a clear thinking process   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Intern interview questions and advice. All 143 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.