Microsoft Intern Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct 2014

3.1

166 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Applied through their on-line system after receiving an Information leaflet from my university's Placements team. Initial selection went smooth, however I failed one of the tests as I had only 48 hours of notice to familiarise myself with the subject matter (I basically received an e-mail with a link to the test and about two days to start the test).

Interview Questions
  • The test I failed was the Numerical Reasoning Test subcontracted from SHL. 24 minutes for 18 questions all based on interpreting graphs and charts and churning out the right numbers as fast as possible.
     The problems themselves were simple, the time was just brutally short.
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Intern Interview

Online tests, phone interview then assessment centre

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

I submitted my application through their website. They got back to me over 3 months (close to four months) later for a phone interview. I got an email a couple of weeks later saying I'd performed well in the interview, but that all of the spots for the internship they were considering me for were filled. It happens, but I was obviously very disappointed.

Intern Interview

interviewed at Microsoft in March 2012.

Phone screening

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2009.

They were looking for people with good transferable skills and adaptability rather than strong technical skills. Be friendly and open, and willing to admit when you're wrong or don't know something.

Interview Questions
    • There were a number of logic puzzles within the interview, the one I remember was comparing the height of a body of water with a ship sitting on top of it, compared to the heigh after the ship had been sunk.   View Answer
    No negotiation involved.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online and was contacted by email to schedule a phone interview for an SDE internship. The process of getting contacted to schedule the interview to actually having the phone interview took about three weeks.

The interview was approximately 30 minutes and I was asked a variety of questions such as "What is your favorite Microsoft product and what is one thing you would do to improve it?" and "What is the difference between a thread and a process?"

I have to admit that I was caught off guard by a what was essentially a "Knights and Knaves" like question. If you're unfamiliar with those types of problems, I would recommend that you look over them briefly before an interview with them.

Other than that, the interview seemed very standard with the typical questions about my resume.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I was contacted via email and invited to an on-campus interview that lasted 30 minutes long. I was given two programming questions, one related to graphs and the other related to a subarray sum problem. After a few days, I was contacted for second round interviews in Boston, all expenses paid, to be interviewed at the Microsoft Research Building. I had 4 45 minute interviews in the morning, and received an internship offer within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Given a hashmap of abbreviations to a list of what the abbreviations stand for, write a program to guess new abbreviations' expanded forms (even though each letter could stand for many things) based on the mutual probabilities of the words being together in the existing abbreviation database.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

Phone Interview and On site interview. Initially an aptitude test online, then the phone which moved to an onsite interview. The asked the general data structures and oop questions. They threw some curveballs as well. My mistakes came down to not asking questions about their problem. ASK QUESTIONS! They will reveal more that way, it will transform problems.

Interview Questions
    • Design of an online banking application (expected to troubleshoot possible problems)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Got an interview opportunity from career fair on campus and the interview was also held on campus. There were two questions. Both were pretty straightforward and the interviewer was very patient in explaining all the questions I had. My first code missed out a lot of corner cases. The interviewer was nice enough to point those out for me. I was able to correct them afterwards but still no luck for the next round.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to return words in a string.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

The recruiting process was simple. I've done this twice in consecutive years. Microsoft sent some engineers to my college to find job and internship applicants in September 2013 and again this September.

In September 2013 they had a "mini-interview" round on campus. As I handed in my resume I was asked questions about my experience and interests. A few days later I got an e-mail invitation from a Microsoft HR contractor to do a sit-down interview. The interview happened a couple of weeks later, also on campus, with a Microsoft engineer.

The interviewer was cordial but curt because interviews were 30 minutes and stacked back-to-back all day, with no time cushion between. The interviewers were mostly casually dressed as were the applicants.

My interviewer asked me about my background and experience, then gave me a coding question. All other applicants I talked to were also given a coding problem, not one of those mythical non-tech brain teasers I have read about companies such as Google giving.

I was applying for their no-experience-needed "explorers" internship. I told the interviewer I just started learning about arrays, so he asked me to code an array sorting function. He seemed surprised it was over my head, in spite of it being my first month in intro to C, which Microsoft knew in advance.
    I wasn't able to completely code the answer, but the interviewer was helpful, offering general advice on how to complete it. I got a generic rejection e-mail about three weeks later from a do-not-reply address, saying my resume would be kept on file for a year.

This year I got an e-mail from Microsoft again, saying an engineer had reviewed my resume on file from last year and wanted us to do a sit-down interview. It was about the same as last year, though Microsoft was not offering the "explorer" internship anymore, just the need-experience one. My interviewer again was cordial, even friendly, and asked me similar questions to last year, followed by a new coding question that I was given a Surface tablet with an IDE (no compiler) to code with.

I handled it better this year, but I couldn’t finish the code so I talked it out. He asked how to code a translator from a base-10 number system to another system. I had about 15 minutes to code it, with the interviewer at times looking at my screen and notes, and asking questions. He was being helpful but it was too much pressure for me. The interview ended with some advice on how to handle the problem and well-wishes.

I got basically the same rejection e-mail from them as I did last year.

Microsoft has an efficiently structured system for recruiting applicants, processing applications (through web and e-mail) and coordinating interviews. They even use an automated system to remind you of your interview after you select it through a web system. The only weakness is a mismatch between the stated job requirements and what the interviewers expect you to know. In the case of last year's interview, for example, I had to explain what the explorer internship I was applying for was because the interviewer had never heard of it, and seemingly was not prepared to ask questions on that level.

Interview Questions
    • Surprisingly the interviewer this year asked me about my previous interview last year. He said he had on his computer not only the coding question I was asked before, but what my response to it was. He asked what I had learned from it. I told him that I didn't even remember the question, it had been so long. I'm sure it would have been better if I mentioned having worked on it after I went home. I was impressed that he and Microsoft by proxy seemed genuinely interested in my development.   Answer Question