Microsoft

Average Difficulty
152 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Applied through their on-line system after receiving an Information leaflet from my university's Placements team. Initial selection went smooth, however I failed one of the tests as I had only 48 hours of notice to familiarise myself with the subject matter (I basically received an e-mail with a link to the test and about two days to start the test).

Interview Question – The test I failed was the Numerical Reasoning Test subcontracted from SHL. 24 minutes for 18 questions all based on interpreting graphs and charts and churning out the right numbers as fast as possible.
 The problems themselves were simple, the time was just brutally short.
  Answer Question

Interview Details Online tests, phone interview then assessment centre

Intern

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I submitted my application through their website. They got back to me over 3 months (close to four months) later for a phone interview. I got an email a couple of weeks later saying I'd performed well in the interview, but that all of the spots for the internship they were considering me for were filled. It happens, but I was obviously very disappointed.

Interview Question – Given a string, reverse each token in that string   Answer Question

Intern

I interviewed at Microsoft in March 2012.

Interview Details Phone screening

Interview Question – how would you test a simple 4 operations calculator.   Answer Question

Reading, England

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2009.

Interview Details They were looking for people with good transferable skills and adaptability rather than strong technical skills. Be friendly and open, and willing to admit when you're wrong or don't know something.

Interview Question – There were a number of logic puzzles within the interview, the one I remember was comparing the height of a body of water with a ship sitting on top of it, compared to the heigh after the ship had been sunk.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation involved.

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Applied online multiple times for different internships. A friend of mine who interned and then was hired after graduation forwarded my resume in to recruiters internally. A recruiter reached out to me and said they would be interviewing soon and that I needed to fill out a placement sheet. The sheet asked various, extremely vague questions about what field I would like to be in. There was vague managerial questions like if I preferred to be a designer, a manager, or someone who works entirely with code across 3 fields. The fields were like systems, products, and general or something. It was weird because I still didn't know what I was applying for or what I would be doing. I was told I would be contacted "soon". A month went by and I heard no word. I attempted to email back, but got an out of office message. Another month went by. I asked my friend if I was even being considered anymore. The recruiter reached out to me after he inquired directly, she said they would contact me within the next week. ANOTHER month went by with still no contact. I attempted to inquire another time, and finally, out of the blue, someone called me. The gentleman sounded like he was in a rush to get me off the phone. He asked me why I wanted work with MS, what my interests are, and then went right into 3 riddles. The riddles were really silly and he timed me so short on them. He asked about having a group of marbles, a scale, and how to find the one marble that weighed the most without being able to use the scale more than 2 times. He then asked me about mis-sorted fruit baskets and how I would find certain fruits. I messed this one up, but came close. and when I came close to the answer, he abruptly asked ARE YOU SURE? Threw me off as I was confident in my conclusion, but it sounded so forceful I wasn't sure if I had said something really absurd without noticing. I didn't hear back for another month, in which I just got some automated email saying my application was declined.

Interview Question – Marbles that all have the same appearance, one weighs differently. Use a 2 sided scale to find the smallest marble. Only use the scale 3 times.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details 1 HR interview that included behavioural questions in addition to ligh technical questions, followed by 3 onsite interviews. 2 interview were focused on coding, and the third was purely testing.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I gave my resume to a recruiter at my college career fair and got an email invitation to an on-campus interview about 2 months later. Microsoft interviewed about 30 - 40 students on my campus back to back for 3 days so there was a lot of competition.

Interview Question – How would you design an elevator?   View Answers (3)

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details First round consists of a multiple choice quiz followed by multiple onsite rounds. The questions generally consist of Algorithms, Design and Project Questions. The interviewers are good and they even offer you to drive back home if you want.

Interview Question – There was one design problem   Answer Question

Intern
University of Colorado, CO (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details First, Microsoft representatives visited my university for a resume review. They basically reviewed my resume and gave me some guidance about the things to put and to remove from there. Then, they invited me to a small competition, it had nothing to do with the internship, to solve some problems, and they gave the winners some coupons. Then, they sent me an Email to sign up for a secondary interview at my university after which I could qualify for an interview at Redmond.

Interview Question – It was not hard. He asked me to design and implement two simple functions enqueue and dequeue in any programming language I preferred.   View Answer

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!