Microsoft

Updated 24 Feb 2015
Updated 24 Feb 2015

3.1

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Application was straight forward with a cover letter, resume and other common questions. This was then followed up by an online interview where you had to answer some questions, mostly standard ones like name your best qualities etc. After that it was an assessment centre involving two presentations and one final interview with one of the managers. As a note they included both in the same day.

Interview Questions
  • When was a time where you had to change something unexpectedly about a project and tell me about that experience?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Intern Interview

Gave resume to recruiter at job fair, about a month later I did an interview in person at my school, about two weeks later got invited to hiring day. The interviewers were friendly, smart, and the questions weren't extremely difficult

Intern Interview

moved quickly, had interview on campus, then at the microsoft campus had four rounds of interview. each interview was around fourty five minutes

Intern Interview

I applied in school career fair, and got an interview a month later. A University recruiter came to my University. He introduced himself and the internship program the day before interview day in a small meeting.
    During the interview, he asked me a question related to strings and pointers.
    After that, we talked about testing and refinement of the previous program.
    Another problem is about linked list.

Interview Questions
    • You should really know how to manipulate pointers in C   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2014.

This review is for the phone screening.
    Lots of behavioral questions and a few critical thinking/design questions. Interview was not technical.
    Contrary to what is often assumed, interviewer may not give hints -- as in my case. I didn't need any hints since I actively worked through each question even if I took a slight wrong turn somewhere, but at not point did my interviewer jump in with a nudge. Prepare to have someone only listen to you and type all of your answers up (one of the followup questions my interviewer gave me required him to read out my previous answer almost completely, word by word).

Prepare to be cut off, especially for the long design question at the end. It's a short interview overall, so try to wrap it up yourself as best you can so you're not cut off at an important spot. In my case, my interviewer cut me off at a natural pause spot in my answer and told me that my answer was very thorough and complete -- this feedback was nice to receive and I think It contributed to getting me through to the final round. If this happens to you, it's a very good sign.

Interview Questions
    Offer was to be put through to the final round (fly-in interview in Redmond)

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2014.

Gave my resume to a recruiter at a campus info session and got an email about 2 weeks later telling me to sign up for an on campus interview. Despite getting the only technical question wrong, I got an on site interview. The on site interview consisted for 4 technical interviews. It might be because I'm a sophomore, but the questions weren't very hard. All of them were about arrays, strings, or linked lists. I made a few mistakes, so I didn't end up getting an offer.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2014.

Talked through the phone, asked behavioral questions and one technical question. Interviewer was a developer himself so the conversation went smooth. We talked about my programming languages preferences, and he decided to go in depth with C.

He asked me trivial questions about memory management and garbage collection, explain a computational concept to a youngling, and then we talked a lot about their work environment. The interview was very positive and relaxed overall.

Interview Questions
    • Given 9 marbles that look the same but one weights slightly more, and a scale you can only use twice, how can you find out which marble is the heavier one?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

From the time I gave my resume to when I got my offer, it took about 2 months.

1) Microsoft was at my school lobby and I dropped off my resume.
    2) About 3-4 weeks later I was invited to a 30-min interview on my University's campus. The interview was easy. First part was to describe a hard project or bug I worked on, and the second part was to code on the white board. Coding question was: Given a string and two chars, find the minimum distance between those two characters in the string.
    3) Since I had another offer which had a near deadline, Microsoft got back to me quickly within a week. I was invited to their Redmond campus for 3 45-min interviews. I did badly in the first question and didn't get to finish my code, did great on the second, and average on the third.

The entire interview process went smoothly and traveling to Redmond was great since everything was paid for and organized really well. I got my interview results in an email when I got back to my hotel after the interview day.

Interview Questions
    • Given a binary tree, where each node has a third reference which is not yet initialized, go through the tree and point the third reference to the rightmost tree node on the same level. If there are no other nodes to its right, point it to null.   View Answers (2)

Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft.

Met college recruiter at schools job fair. Talk about how I got interested into Computer Science which got me an interview. The recruiter was very nice and actually cared about my story and generally wanted to hear it.

At the interview, I got a lot of help from the interviewer on the questions but I was just too nervous to think straight and was still a beginner at CS. Could have passed the interview if just brushed up on basics.

Interview Questions
    • Two behavioral questions.
      Describe about a recent software application you used and how would you improve it.

If Microsoft got into the soda vending machine business, how would come up with a paradigm shift for it?

Tech question:
      Given an array of customer ids, find out if a costumer called more than once. No data structures, other than arrays.

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Dropped off my resume at their desk when they stopped my university, received an email a couple of days afterwards to have an interview when they come back to my school two weeks later. The process was nice, actually. My interviewer was very professional, not awkward at all, and was very easy to have a conversation with.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse a string in place. Not the simple string reverse() STL function, but turn the string "My dog jumps over the fence" into "Fence the over jumps dog my".   View Answers (4)