Microsoft

3,169 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details One of the recruiter approached me via linkedin, i had hit-around-bush chat with him just to get to know my background. then there was a formal technical interview. After that there was another one lasting for an hour. Then i was invited to the onsite interview in ireland. Unfortunately other things turned up i had to give up the chance

Interview Question – all normal questions on book, algorithms, data structures etc.   Answer Question

Applications Development Consultant Interview

Reading, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

Interview Details One hour technical interview, one hour face to face technical interview, one hour management interview, one hour presentation based on a subject with no prior experience. I was given 4 days to research the subject on my own.

Interview Question – Had to discuss a technical business requirement and then discuss what Microsoft technologies were appropriate solutions and five reasons why this technology was chosen. They are trying to get an idea of your thought process and problem solving abilities.   View Answer

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I was contacted by a recruiter who wanted to see if I would be interested in a poistion with Microsoft.

Upon getting a positive reply from myself we went through a 20 minute conversation to assess my suitability for the role. Following that my CV was sent to the hiring managers to make a decision.

I was then contacted to come for a face to face compentancy baed interivew. The interview itself was not hard, you had to give various examples of various situations where you have achieved something or overcome a difficult situation. Microsoft have a set of competencies which they test you upon howerver they do not share them with yourself beforehand so you need to be prepared.
TIP - Make sure you research the role and the business and if the details don't come up in the interview you need to mention how your certain capabilities would be good for the business and the role you are interviewing for.

Follwing this I was then invited to an assessment day which involved a Presentation, Competency based interview and Role play.

Presentation -
Ensure that you read all of the presentation brief, and take into account the requirements which are mentione and which have been implied. It is very easy to miss out what has been implied and that can go against you. Aim for the essentials which would help demostrate your combination of business and technical skills and how Microsoft's business customers can be helped.

Interview -
Again the competency based interivew. Same tips as before

Roleplay scenario -
I was dealing with some senior customers who were very unhappy. It was pretty ok to be honest nothing too hard, something that you would do on a normal basis. Again, you need to be calm, listening, sensitive and assertive at the same time.

Positive -
Things were well organised, however the communication from the recruiters could have been better. However I always tried to be pro-active and ensure that I communicated where I felt that thier HR was lacking, afterall it is my career!! The people interviewing me were good though they seem to have researched myself and my past qiute well.

Negative -
The long process which almost took me 3 months. By this time you really are mentally exhausted and want things to be over with, if not managed properly this can have a negative affect. Plus the comms from HR could have been better.

Reason why I was not offered -
In my first face to face interview I was told that they were impressed with my business knowledge however they needed to assess my technical knoweldge better as that had not come out in the interview.

So in my assessment to counter that and manage their expectations, I tried to highlight my technical knowledge in the assessment and the feedback was that they felt I had a lot more technical knowledge than needed and hence I was not strategic enough!. Yet they were the ones who wrote to me afte the interview asking that my technical knowledge needs to be shown and they were happy with my business experties. Maybe others can counter these things better however I was unable to manage the expectation of the many people interviewing me in a way that would result in a positive outcome for me. Based upon the feedback I received, they were impressed with everything other than this and hence role is not being offered. I will not comment further however I shall leave others reading this review to prepare themselves better.

Interview Question – Generally all questions were generic nothing too difficult or trick questions. If you have researched the role and company then you should be ok.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Applied through their on-line system after receiving an Information leaflet from my university's Placements team. Initial selection went smooth, however I failed one of the tests as I had only 48 hours of notice to familiarise myself with the subject matter (I basically received an e-mail with a link to the test and about two days to start the test).

Interview Question – The test I failed was the Numerical Reasoning Test subcontracted from SHL. 24 minutes for 18 questions all based on interpreting graphs and charts and churning out the right numbers as fast as possible.
 The problems themselves were simple, the time was just brutally short.
  Answer Question

Graduate Position Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Online application, online tests, pre-recorded video interview

Interview Question – How would you explain what cloud computing is to a customer?   Answer Question

Business Manager In Banking and Finance Interview

Reading, England

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

Interview Details 5 Interviews over 6 months. The last 3 interviews all on one day. The usual resume oriented questions as it was for a senior sales role.

The last step was a scenario based role play where I had to "fill in the gaps" in terms of how a sales scenario would run and identify selling opportunities.

Interview Question – None were to difficult and rather run of the mill/   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very fast, though not a lot of flexibility.

Marketing Industrial Placement Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details 1. Application form - Usual questions - why Microsoft? How are you more passionate and motivated than other candidates?

2. Verbal Reasoning test - Very easy test on SHL, given plenty of time! (possibly 3 minutes a question if memory serves me right)

3. Interactive Interview - One way interview, meaning you record your responses to pre-recorded questions. You're given the questions and have 30 secs to prepare your answer and 2 minutes to answer. Not massively difficult questions, they're all subjective, you just need detail. Dress smart!!

I failed at this point

4.Skype interview

5. Assessment Centre

Interview Question – Imagine you were trying to sell a corporate customer Windows 8 and Outlook, how would you go about a solution?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

MACH Program Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details I applied online to a marketing internship with the MACH program in Italy and was contacted via email about an interview on Skype. It took about 30 minutes and was very simple. She asked me a few questions about my future plans, if I wanted to specifically work in the tech industry and why I had decided to apply for Microsoft and what I know already of the company.
She then told me a little about the company and what the internship was about. She then told me to get back in touch in a few months due to me not having graduated yet and that I would have a second interview at that point with a group of people in charge of hiring the interns.

Interview Question – there were no difficult or unexpected questions, just genereic ones about my knowledge of the company.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Interview before current techniques implemented so not really applicable, still was asked problem solving skills rather than specific coding skills. Also MS look for people who want to work for right reasons not money.

Interview Question – Different ways or sorting, going through an algorithm for combining and sorting 3 list of data.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

EMEA Business Development Manager Interview

London, England

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Interview Details Clear communication about the process but long and many interviews with plenty of people. Decision making about the hiring is not always clear (who decides etc)

Interview Question – Regular interview about former experiences   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation about perks, base salary

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft interview questions and advice. All 3,169 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.