Microsoft Product Manager Interview Questions

3.4

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

Long and arduous. Old-fashioned and difficult to understand what people did in their roles - lots of overlap. Getting to interview took years

Interview Questions
  • there is a car park - how do you design a system to advise drivers how many spots are free?   Answer Question
Not too bad. MSFT offered (at the time) sign on bonus and help with residency. Health care was to notch at that time.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Was asked to meet in person after the first interview

Interview Questions
    • Nothing about the interview was unexpected. I would however recommend to not overstate anything on your resume and be prepared for behavioral questions.   Answer Question

They could not match another offer i received

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2012.

it consisted of an initial phone interview with a recruiter and subsequently I was flown to Seattle for a full day of interviews (around 5 or so) with the team I was interviewing for. As the day progressed the interviews were with higher up employees and more difficult questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • A logic question that was asked in my final interview having to do with how curves are done in classes.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2012.

I never even applied to this job; I just expressed interest to a recruiter I met at a career fair. She then emailed me to set up an on-campus interview after filling out a really easy questionnaire. I thought I bombed the on-campus interview but was given an on-site interview. I thought I aced the on-site interview but then got rejected from an offer. I still enjoyed the process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you market the Windows 8 pre-packaged product?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2010.

3 rounds of interviews, all were pretty easy. The interviewers asked questions like:
    Why do you want this job
    Why Microsoft
    What do you think about [specific division you're applying to]'s [specific problem]? How would you solve it?

I got a few macro-level questions about the industry and company strategy, but that probably varies by position.

Interview Questions
    • Asked specific questions about high level tech trends & things in the news   Answer Question
    One back and forth, and done. They are more flexible on levels than they are on salary from what I've noticed. Always go with the levels -- managers change so often that you can often request a pay increase in 6 months or so. However, if you're stuck in a lower level and already making the max pay, it's much harder to jump levels.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

One day of interviews, 5 in all, with an as-appropriate at the end.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a new user interface for a bank application   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2012.

As a non-technical undergraduate student from a non-target school, I had to reach through my network to get connected to a Recruiter. The recruiting process is broken down as follows:

Overview:
    1. First-Round Phone Interview
    2. Notified About Second Rounds in Redmond, Washington
    3. Dinner Reception (Night Before Interviews)
    4. Interview "Super Day" at MSFT Campus
    5. Results

I. First Round Phone Interview :
    Several generic behavioral questions regarding teamwork, time management, conflict resolution, and explaining a technical concept. The phone interview also included several "Case-like" questions that analyzes the candidate's logic, critical thinking, and analytical abilities. Depending on the division one is applying for, the interviewer will ask you more role-specific questions (a la "How would you market the Xbox differently" if you're going for that team).

II. Second Round Notifications:
    You get a nice email from Microsoft that you'll be flown out to Washington. Great experience! They put you up in a great hotel, get a rental car for you, and take care of all your general food expenses :]

III. Dinner Reception:
    Meet and mingle with newly hired "Microsofties" over some great food. Learn about their experiences and show that you're a sociable and normal person!

IV. Interview "Super Day"
    Your day starts at 7:00am. Four hour-long interview rounds in a row. You get to meet some incredible people that love their jobs! They're really nice and make the interview rounds as pleasant as possible. *Warning* They might throw a stress interviewer to see how you sweat!
    The interview rooms are well-decorated, but are incredibly close in proximity so you can overhear the other interviewers. Pro Tip: Focus on YOU and not your competition :]

V. Results
    They said that we'd hear back "within a week." I flew out on Wednesday, interviewed Thursday, and got my offer by Monday.

Interview Questions
    • "What is a product that you think is marketed well?"   Answer Question
    • "If you were to market 'said' product, how would you do it differently?"   Answer Question
    • "If you were to market the Microsoft brand on-campus, how would you do that?"   Answer Question
    • "How would you calculate the market value of the Segway market in the United States of America?"   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable :[
    Regardless, they made me an amazing offer I couldn't refuse :]

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2008.

I worked in the same role as a contractor for 4 months. I was originally hired to support someone in her role. The first day I started as a vendor she left on medical leave, the manager who hired me quit, and a peer of mine was advanced to manager. The new manager also left on paternity leave so I was left with no support group at all. I did not have network access or an email address yet and just sat in the contractor room for 6 weeks with nothing to do and no one to report to.

Fortunately just before the hiring manager left I convinced him to send the Help File of the product I was to be involved in. He had to send it to my personal email account.

Within a month I rewrote it as I had a technical writing background. Within the next few months I delivered several solid Business Requirements Docs and the pushed me through a hiring loop to become an FTE (Full-Time Employee). I was the only person to go through the loop which I had heard was against their policy but I accepted the position and excelled in this roll until a re-org moved me unexpectedly to another position I didn't really want.

Interview Questions
    I tried to begin at a higher level but they stuck with the original offering which I accepted.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

The process is run tight with 4-6 people on the interview loop. Most questions are case questions (similar to consulting)

Interview Questions
    • how do you weigh an air plain without using a scale?   View Answer
    very little room for negotiation

Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

first round interview at b-school. usual process. one skills interview and one case interview. second round (final round) at microsoft in redmond. typically four to five interviews with the team. two interviews with peers, which are typically case interviews. one interview with hiring manager which was mostly getting to know you type stuff, and opinions on various related industry topics. One with hiring manage's manager (can be director or general manager), depending on if you've been okayed by the majority so far or not. can have a fifth interview as well, but not in all cases.

Interview Questions
    • nothing too out of the blue. as long you are well prepapred for a typicaly marketing interview out of business school.   Answer Question
    Was able to negotiate salary a little bit.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!