Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions

3.3

274 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

I went through the standard application process to get hired as an intern at Microsoft. First there was the application process, clearing which you're invited to an online test sourced from SHL. Passing the test you'll be invited for a telephone interview. After which you have the assessment centre.

Interview Questions
  • I personally didn't find anything unexpected. The questions tested the competency rather than my technical skills.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Program Manager Interview

You need to prepare as much technical knowledge as possible in order to get hired by Microsoft. You need to think and answer some algorithm questions fast enough. You need to write codes on the whiteboard, and they will criticize your coding.

Interview Questions
    • How to determine when to use C++ and when to use C#   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

One of my friend passed my resume to his recuiter atthe last day of his own internship.I was contacted by a recuiter from Microsoft 3 weeks after that. She connect me with a guy who was responsible for Microsoft interview at my ubiversity and he asked me about the location which I prefer to go for an internship. Then he said you should wait for us to notify you for the first interview. One week later I got an invitation by email for a phone interview. I asked them is it possible to be a video interview, they said no this time is just an audio without coding questions. It is just to know you and your experiences. I am preparing for my interview now.

Interview Questions
    • Introducing yourself and tell us about your experiences.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  College Station, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

Got recommended by a friend. Resume was "shortlisted" and got a phone interview. Really enjoyed the phone interview and thought it went very well, except for the last question. The interview lasted about 45 minutes.

Apart from smalltalk and giving me time to ask questions, the interviewer asked me three "thought experiment" type questions. For PM position, two of these were general critical thinking, and one (the hard one for me) was programming.

Critical thinking questions involved designing a kitchen for a handicapped user and testing a frisbee before releasing it for sale. These were very open ended.

I'll mention the programming question below:

Interview Questions
    • What is the most efficient way to add an element to a circularly indexed array.   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Setup through University Recruiting.

One on campus interview. Interviewer asked me what I am passionate about and asked me to design an app for it on paper.

Next Onsite. It will be 8 hours long and 5 rounds. Two junior level PMs, one engineer, and two exec level PMs.

Asked me to design systems on whiteboards and pointed out edge cases, which I had to address in the design. Last interview with the top exec and was very pleasant conversation about why I wanted to be a PM then design a product problem.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. Even if it comes up. Stay calm and take a moment to think about it. Always think back to the user and you'll be good.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Mostly tested on capability to think through. Hardly evaluate a person on specialized areas (unless that job is meant to be that way). They do ask situational questions to see whether u have the maturity to handle it. There is no right or wrong in many of these questions.

Interview Questions
    no. it is a preset package when I came into Microsoft.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied in-person - interviewed at Microsoft.

None, I had worked on the team before and the hiring manager knew what to expect. He also had very specific tasks in mind and needed help asap. I think my language skills came into play as this was a China project. I speak Mandarin natively.

Program Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Microsoft.

not so great

Interview Questions
    • given a chance to join apple, Microsoft where do u join?   View Answer
    nothing

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

Contacted at uni to apply for program management positions. Recruiters were very friendly and prompt to reply. Scheduled an initial video chat with one of the PM leads at Microsoft. Interviewer did not seem friendly / pleased to be doing the interviewing. Chatted about their role then dove into quite tough questions. Felt on the back foot most of the interview. Questioned how I would tackle some of the more complex problems they are currently facing as a team (e.g. how I might improve Bing Search). Couple of technical puzzler style questions (bit more algorithmic than "why are manholes round"), which were a bit unexpected for a PM role. Would recommend being familiar with the entire Microsoft range and not accidentally mentioning any competitors (probably obvious, but being uncomfortable with acknowledging the elephant in the room of Google Search was a bit unexpected).

Interview Questions
    • You have a 5-sided die. You need to produce a uniform random number between 1-7. You can re-roll the die as much as you need. How do you achieve this?   View Answers (2)

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

I was an FTE for several years and now an external doing an informational interview. Pretty sad and disappointing to know the process is so broken. Had heard negative stories from others but didn't believe it until I became an external again. They simply do_not respond to you if they aren't moving forward with you. Not even a courtesy email. I wish they put some feedback process in place to check on these vendors-recruiters' work. They leave bad impression, which is totally against their hiring principles.

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!