Microsoft

Getting the Interview

259 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I was an FTE for several years and now an external doing an informational interview. Pretty sad and disappointing to know the process is so broken. Had heard negative stories from others but didn't believe it until I became an external again. They simply do_not respond to you if they aren't moving forward with you. Not even a courtesy email. I wish they put some feedback process in place to check on these vendors-recruiters' work. They leave bad impression, which is totally against their hiring principles.

Interview Question – Your stack rank in record.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Contacted at uni to apply for program management positions. Recruiters were very friendly and prompt to reply. Scheduled an initial video chat with one of the PM leads at Microsoft. Interviewer did not seem friendly / pleased to be doing the interviewing. Chatted about their role then dove into quite tough questions. Felt on the back foot most of the interview. Questioned how I would tackle some of the more complex problems they are currently facing as a team (e.g. how I might improve Bing Search). Couple of technical puzzler style questions (bit more algorithmic than "why are manholes round"), which were a bit unexpected for a PM role. Would recommend being familiar with the entire Microsoft range and not accidentally mentioning any competitors (probably obvious, but being uncomfortable with acknowledging the elephant in the room of Google Search was a bit unexpected).

Interview Question – You have a 5-sided die. You need to produce a uniform random number between 1-7. You can re-roll the die as much as you need. How do you achieve this?   View Answer

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2014.

Interview Details The interview process was a great experience. My initial interview was an on campus interview where we discussed some of the information on my resume as well as the infamous why Microsoft question. We touched a little on coding, basic algorithm and implementation stuff followed by some design talk which is where I think I did the best. The following day I received an email saying I was scheduled to be flown out to Washington for final round interviews. I was asked to provide several options for interviews. My initial onsite interview was cancelled due to a conflict and had to be rescheduled. Over the next few days I was asked to correspond with Microsoft Staffing to reschedule. My interview was then moved to the following week. Microsoft put me up in a really nice hotel and offered me a stipend for food while I was there. On my interview day I met with a recruiter who gave me an overview of what to expect throughout the day. She then placed me on a shuttle to my first interview. I had a series of 4 interviews the last 2 significantly better than the first 2. After completing all of my interviews I was taking back to where I had began the day where I received a parting gift. A few days later I received the email that I would not be getting the offer. The overall experience was really good though no complaints.

Interview Question – I struggle with a technical question during my first interview that asked something along the lines how would you create and implement database that deals with multiple servers?   Answer Question

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Did the interview process for my internship, got an offer, did my internship, and got an offer to join as FTE at the end. The process was clear but dealing with HR folks has been quite cumbersome. Way too many people in the HR process!

Interview Question – Since I was interviewing for a Program Manager role, all the questions rotated around software development management (read the "Mythical Man Month" book!), explaining products that I like and don't like (why I like it, why I don't, how I would change, what is good, etc). People were very nice and the interviewing process was very pleasant.
Communication and social skills are a must for PMs, so if you like to work alone in front of your computer, that's not for you.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since I was coming straight from the internship and college, the HR didn't want to negotiate. I insisted and talked with my hiring manager...doubled my hiring bonus! Don't be shy!

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Interview Details Takes a while to get the process started, but they will pay for your travel to HQ and take care of you while you're there. Interviews are generally a series with up to 5-6 people on the team you're interviewing for (not just other PMs) and are not centralized.

Questions are a mix of design and technical questions, to see how well you'd work with engineers on the team. PMs are generally very creative and energetic people, so these interviews are usually quite fun.

Interview Question – Write a basic spell checker function that checks strings for typos against a dictionary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation is close to impossible if you're coming straight from college.

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

Interview Details Was already Contracting for the same team so was very different. As I knew the role in and Out

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details -Lots of people to meet with, sometimes feels more like a formality than actually working with them
-Questions are somewhat random, coming across as "just because we can ask you"

Interview Question – -Brain teasers   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Somewhat flexible on base salary and signing bonus

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

Interview Details The questions were very straightforward. I got a few questions on wireframing apps and just my personal experiences on the resume. There were 2 different interviewers in total.

Interview Question – *Explain _technical term__ to a 5 year old.   View Answer

Program Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details There were 2 rounds of interview- one on campus and one in Redmond. The campus interview is very basic and the one in Redmond was oriented around design questions of everyday lifes.

Interview Question – Nothing was really unexpected. I think I should have been better prepared though. Make sure you get enough sleep the night before.   Answer Question

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

Interview Details 1, I applied this job online. 2, I had a writing test by email which only took a hour but actually you were allow to finished it within a week. 3, Phone Interview (30 mins). Then, I did not go through the next round. PS: I have a EE background.

Interview Question – If you need to add a feature that users would pay for it to the app (Whatever app we were talking before), what would you add? (I did not expect this Q).   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Program Manager interview questions and advice. All 259 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.