Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated 26 Mar 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

interviewed at Microsoft (London, England) in February 2013.

Interview

I went through the standard application process to get hired as an intern at Microsoft. First there was the application process, clearing which you're invited to an online test sourced from SHL. Passing the test you'll be invited for a telephone interview. After which you have the assessment centre.

Interview Questions

• I personally didn't find anything unexpected. The questions tested the competency rather than my technical skills.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Got an email for an on campus interview after career fair. The interview was in 2 parts: programming and design. He was comfortable with C and not too much with Java, the language I was comfortable in. He even asked me to program in notepad since he didnt have a java ide. The question involved pointers and memory management but in java, the JVM handles it for you so I was unable to answer. For the design question I found it hard to understand what he wanted but after asking for clarification it went pretty smooth. In the end, the interviewer was very helpful and understanding.

Program Manager Interview

Interview

University Recruiting involved a 30 minute on campus technical interview followed by a full day series of in person interviews in Redmond, WA. It was a long day of interviews but was a very positive experience. Questions were all design and behavioral based for PM positions.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I got email from University recruiter offered me a phone interview, the interview is pretty straight forwarded, it was a great experience. I was offered a on-site interview later that week.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between managed vs. unmanaged code. Tell me about one of your projects, what type of problem did you face, how did you solve it.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied through employee referral. The interview was face-to-face. The interviewer started by asking about my past experience. Then, most of the discussion was around designing an engine to predict the outcome of a certain cricket match. I started well but then got a bit nervous and messed it up. It was only after I got out that I realized where I'd gone wrong. Got a negative reply within a day. The overall experience was quite pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Design an engine to predict the outcome of a certain cricket match.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

At first, a HR rep reached out to me to fill out interview selection time for two Skype interviews.
    When the time comes, the interviewer requested contact on Skype and began video calling right away.
    Both of my interviewers are PMs and spoke fluent English.

Surprisingly, I was not asked to do any programming questions. Maybe it's because it's a Skype interview.

For the first interviewer, he asked a lot about my experiences. For ex, tell me about this experience; how did you go about solving this and that at this internship, etc.

The other interviewer asked more product questions. For example, there are two features of a specific product (he described it), how do you choose which one to implement?

Interview Questions

• How would you describe __________(an example product) to your 80-year-old grandmother?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I met Microsoft representatives at Career fair at my school.
    I then submitted my resume. I was then was contacted 2-3 weeks afterwards for an on campus interview. It was about 15-30 minute Interview. It took then another 2-3 weeks to an update on my application. I wasn't super prepared for the technical questions so I need to brush up on these. The design questions are not too hard, but you may get asked harder technical questions. My friends were asked one behaviour question and one technical while I was asked two.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

Interview

30-minute on-campus interview. Some tips that I could've known
    -Be prepared to answer questions about a specific Microsoft product. What is its user base? Who uses the product? How does it profit? How can it be better?
    -Know what the PM does WELL. Are you able to recite is roles? Why it is needed?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a course in which you had a large coding project. In terms of large amounts of code.
      Tell me about another.
      How does that tie back to the program manager?
      Tell me everything you know about the program manager position.
      What are the differences between the PM and TD?
      Why does Microsoft have program managers?
      What is an application you know well and tell me about it as if you were a program manager.
      Why would Microsoft purchase Skype? What is its value?
      Why would Skype create Skype?
      Who are Skype’s competitors?

Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied at campus career fair. 2 weeks later did campus-interview. Pretty straight forward behavioural questions and one technical. Be sure to study programming and study design (engineering design process a plus). Offered final round but it's been pushed back for months.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

Had a brief 30 minute interview on campus where I was given some coding and design problems. A few months later I was flown out for a final interview in Redmond. The day of interviews went from 9:00AM to 6:00PM and consisted of five interviews (and a lunch interview). I enjoyed talking with my interviewers and Microsoft goes to great lengths to ensure a pleasant experience for candidates.

Interview Questions

• I've been asked to not repeat the interview questions however I will say that they were designed on the spot and tailored to circumstances which we discussed. Some questions were impossible scenarios and didn't have an answer. They are looking to see how you think and your confidence in your answers. Anything on your resume is fair game so ensure you truly know what it says you do.   Answer Question