Microsoft Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated 10 Apr 2015

3.3

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I had one phone interview that wasn't too bad!

Question:
1. One with difficulty like implement strncmp or strcat, etc...
2. One that seemed easy but with a twist.

Onsite:
4 interviews in total

Questions:
Know your algos and data structures and you will be fine. Interviewers are comfortable and give tips to help!

Didn't do well on my last interview, which I think was the deciding factor for me to not get hired.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was one of the most professional recruitment process. It started with a telephonic round and then the remaining process happened at their Hyderabad campus. I had four interviews in total and the last one was with the Director of the unit.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult was to design round where i have to code and design a problem given by them.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

one online round and 4 in house rounds (2 algorithms, 1 straight up coding and 1 behavioral/senior). got a offer confirmation the day of the interview - which was surprisingly fast and delightful ! Team - Azure AD.
    Had a telephonic conversation with team manager in under a week, and was a really good positive overall experience.
    The offer though was slightly lower than what I was currently making but I would have saved more if i moved to seattle - but the benefits were pretty neat. I ended up declining the offer due to a compensation mismatch.

Interview Questions

• the usual algo/coding questions. try careercup / geeksforgeeks.org / etc.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

Interview

4 tech interviews, detailed questions, game of life, matrices, design questions, hash table questions. Talked through what it means to be a developer, why you want to be a developer, what to expect etc.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Research Triangle Park, NC (US)) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process first started with a recruiter who asked several questions about my current employment and what I was looking for in a job. She also gave me a high level description of the job.

Second, she arranged for a developer to call me to have a discussion which lasted in hour. During the conversation, the developer asked about my technical background and gave me 2 computer programs to write over the phone.

Next I heard from Microsoft that the phone interview went well, so they wanted to see me in person. A scheduler contacted me by email to setup the face to face interviews. The interview went from 12PM to 4PM.

I arrived at the reception and the first developer quickly took me to his office where he questioned me for 1 hour and asked me to solve a computer program on the board. I interviewed with two other developers in the same manner. I was supposed to interview with a manager, but he was on vacation

Interview Questions

• Describe the most challenging problem you've had and how you solved it?   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Moscow (Russia)).

Interview

4 interviews - hr, manager, team lead, team

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in January 2014.

Interview

Standard hiring process: 1)Applied online, 2) 1 Phone Screen, 3) On site with 6 rounds of interviews. The On site experience was very pleasant, and all the interviewers were well prepared and made it look like a general discussion rather than a Q&A session. My only complaint is that the actual offer was delayed due to some internal re-organization. This delay of about 3 months made me really anxious. But my recruiter and Project manager were in constant touch which was a great help.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The offer was on par with my expectations and was able to bump up my sign on bonus a bit after negotiating.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Submitted resume at a campus career fair. Heard back a couple weeks later to schedule an on-campus interview. The on campus interview was a half hour long and had just two questions:
        1. Given two nodes in a tree, find their ancestor
        2. Given a function that does some bit operations, determine what it does and find the bug.

About 2 weeks after the on-campus interview I was informed that I would be moving forward in the interview process. This was one negative of the process for me, because I was asked to interview for a position nowhere near the locations I specified as being my preferred choices. The team I interviewed with was also quite different that the interests I discussed in my campus interview.

The hiring event consisted of 4 45-60 minuter interviews. Each interview varied a bit. Some of the other people interviewing received nearly all design questions while others had mostly coding/algorithm questions. I had a mix of design and coding questions which were done on the whiteboard.

For all of the coding/algorithm questions time and space requirements were discussed as the approach was talked through. No specific requirements were given at the start of a question, but the resulting complexities had to be discussed and justified. Some questions related to balancing the time and space requirements. Test cases were also discussed for each question ranging from use cases to catching integer overflow.

The final design question was very open ended, which I think actually tripped me up a bit because after several focused technical questions, I had trouble thinking from a broad design point of view.

Overall, I felt the interviews all went well, but with no feedback from the interviewers I can't say what it was that kept me from getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given a non-negative integer array that is then shuffled and 1 element is removed, find which element was removed.

2. Assume you are designing/writing code for some small business software how would you go about creating a clean, extensible method for calculating sales tax that can be extended easily to work in different parts of the world.

3. (Two separate questions)
          3a. Given an integer array, remove the duplicate values and return an integer array
          3b. Test a dice role generator method

4. Design a system for tracking employee applicants through the interview process

Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in November 2013.

Interview

Phone interview was pleasant. Questions were mostly related to previous work, C#. One each coding questions on array manipulation. The interview gave a detailed description of the team and projects they are working on and gave recommendations to the team manager. He was going to use an online tool so he can see the coding but the invite was sent too late. I just read out my code to him and he seemed to be happy about it.

Interview Questions

• What I can do to get you in the door?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to leave the current job? Why do you think this is a good place to move to?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not really

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

I was first contacted by a staffing member about the opportunity, followed by two phone technical interviews. One from the hiring manager and the other from a team member. Then I flew to Seattle for an onsite interview. There are 6 interviewers from 9am to 5:30pm. The first is the staffing member that originally contacted me, followed by 5 technical interviews examining my skills.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult. If you are the right one for the team then it is easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated using another offer.