Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

3.2

511 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

I had a one on one interview with two people from Microsoft. The first part was technical, the interviewer asked me to code a function which would reverse the order of words in a string, and then I had to optimize the solution and consider edge cases, etc... The second interviewer asked me about my projects, my studies, etc...

Interview Questions
  • Give me a program and what you would do to make it better?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview before current techniques implemented so not really applicable, still was asked problem solving skills rather than specific coding skills. Also MS look for people who want to work for right reasons not money.

Interview Questions
    • Different ways or sorting, going through an algorithm for combining and sorting 3 list of data.   Answer Question
    None

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Nothing fancy, standard phone interview, no weird, tricky or anything like what you usually read. We mainly talked about my interests and my projects. I was asked to describe my most challenging projects, what I learned from them and what I think my main attributes are. I was also asked a few behavioural questions, i.e how would you deal with this situation or that situation.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really weird, I had read about tricky questions, but nothing like that   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Reading, England
    Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2010.

After HR screening interview, which is really nothing to worry about, was emailed a questionnaire containing a few usual sort of HR questions regarding working in a team, showing initiative etc. plus a few programming specific questions regarding project you have undertaken. It finishes with a couple of C++/C tests fr with you have to time yourself.

Phone interview with a manager was arranged with real time online programming tests.

Finally an onsite day of interviews assessments in Reading.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

Consisted of 15 mcqs mostly related to c/c++ and probability. It was fairly easy and very few people were eliminated
    Round 2(online)(1 hour):
    Round 3(Group fly round)(30 minutes) :
    Round 4(F2F)(90 minutes):
    Round 5(F2F):

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of integers where all the elements occur odd number of times except 3 elements which occur even number of times, find the 3 elements.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

There was a written test(15 MCQ ques which mainly consists of basic C questions by cocubes).50 students were shortlisted followed by coding round(2 questions).Around 25 students were shortlisted further.Then 3 interviews + HR round was there.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Applies through university.First, there was a written coding test- where there were two easy coding questions- one was if u have a rotated sorted array, write the function to find a given key in o(logn).
    In the interviews they asked questions on DS and many OS questions.
    There was:
    1) coding round
    2) write a code on paper for the given problem
    3) Technical interview 1
    4) Technical interview 2
    5) HR

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

The recruiter had a quick chat with me before arranging for a technical interview for evaluating my problem solving/algorithms/programming skills. The technical interview was conducted over phone and collabedit. I was given a programming problem (to be solved in the language of my choice). I used JavaScript to write the solution. The interviewer pointed out the need for optimization and gave some hints. I quickly figured out a fairly optimized code.

The interviewer didn't sound too impressed with my performance. As the problem was fairly simple, he probably expected me to write a perfectly optimized code on the first shot. In my opinion, I exhibited the ability to discuss and think through solutions, rather than being well-versed in solving a certain class of problems.

There is no telling what works.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected or particularly difficult. What is really hard is that the transparency is one way. You give your answers and you will never get to know what the interviewer was expecting to hear.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Warangal (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Warangal (India)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

round -0 onlinegeneral aptitude( c based mcq ) 20 questions in 15 mins
    round -0.1 online coding test about 2 questions for 1 hr
    round -1 written test about 2 questions for 1 hr
    round -2 technical interview about a question until u answer acoordingly
    round -3 technical interview about random questions until ur course

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

I got these questions in my first round of onsite interview.

1. delete all the duplicate numbers in the array.
    2. Test the login system of a website and the password security.
    3. talk about some of my projects in college.

Interview Questions
    • The first question is the most difficult question in this round.   View Answers (2)

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!