Microsoft

Average Difficulty
499 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I had a one on one interview with two people from Microsoft. The first part was technical, the interviewer asked me to code a function which would reverse the order of words in a string, and then I had to optimize the solution and consider edge cases, etc... The second interviewer asked me about my projects, my studies, etc...

Interview Question – Give me a program and what you would do to make it better?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Interview before current techniques implemented so not really applicable, still was asked problem solving skills rather than specific coding skills. Also MS look for people who want to work for right reasons not money.

Interview Question – Different ways or sorting, going through an algorithm for combining and sorting 3 list of data.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Software Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Nothing fancy, standard phone interview, no weird, tricky or anything like what you usually read. We mainly talked about my interests and my projects. I was asked to describe my most challenging projects, what I learned from them and what I think my main attributes are. I was also asked a few behavioural questions, i.e how would you deal with this situation or that situation.

Interview Question – Nothing really weird, I had read about tricky questions, but nothing like that   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Reading, England

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2010.

Interview Details After HR screening interview, which is really nothing to worry about, was emailed a questionnaire containing a few usual sort of HR questions regarding working in a team, showing initiative etc. plus a few programming specific questions regarding project you have undertaken. It finishes with a couple of C++/C tests fr with you have to time yourself.

Phone interview with a manager was arranged with real time online programming tests.

Finally an onsite day of interviews assessments in Reading.

Interview Question – Appetude test   Answer Question

Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and passed a online coding test, just questions normal coding interview questions. Then a online personality test which called SLA. After that I got a onsite interview on Microsoft Shanghai Campus. There are 3 technical interviews. The last two interviewer are very nice, while the first interviewer is anxious and arrogant. I did badly at the first, but did well for the next two.

Interview Question – There are 3 onsite technical interviews. All of them start with a 5 minutes self introduction and most favorite project as warm up. Technical questions for each round:
1. How to detect whether two given linked list have common parts;
2.Anagram and extended to deal with large scale case;
3. Search for words in a random character matrix like a Gluttonous Snake game, given a dictionary of legal words for match, and required to analysis the time complexity.
  Answer Question

Software Development Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2010.

Interview Details standard questions about 5 hours. The interview process is not painful and some whiteboard coding and algorithm discussions. The hiring manager is very nice and discussed a lot about the team.

Interview Question – something about image processing which i have no experience   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details This is a phone interview, and It is about 30 minutes long.
There are some technical questions and basic data structure questions.Then there is a question about the course project I have done and some extended topics.

Interview Question – I applied online and set me a 30 min on phone interview. There are two data structure questions and some other questions about course projects I have done.   View Answer

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Phone interview followed by one day site visit. Site visit consisted of one-on-one conversations with multiple people, who were potential peers or managers of target and other groups. Interviews with the junior people covered technical questions only, typically tied to challenges they themselves saw at work, while those with managers covered mostly behavioral and situational questions.

Interview Question – Questions about very particular situations arising in their work context.   Answer Question

Allahabad (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2012.

Interview Details it was a campus hiring event. 2 written test and after that 4 technical interviews.
The Interviewer ware very cool guys and helped me during interview as well. they even give you hints if you stuck.

Interview Question – 1. Data structure and Algorithmic questions.(mostly you find on GFG )
2. OS concepts, DBMS
3. no question on networking
4. few design questions

i) find the no. of connected components in a undirected graph.
ii) generate all valid parenthesis using n open and close braces
iii) Question on prime no. generation and processing.
iv) process in OS ( full details)
v) a design question on college student management system and few queries on them.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, since it was a campus recruitment.

Software Development Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I applied from college and set me a 30 min on campus interview. It is a one to one person interview. Asked me to talk a database project. He gave me a pen and some scratch papers to tell the detail and asked me some basic SQL questions.

Interview Question – Just some basic questions nothing expected   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!