Microsoft

Updated 25 Feb 2015
Updated 25 Feb 2015

3.2

Software Development Engineer Interview

The process was very well streamlined. After a phone interview I got invited to the Dublin office with all expenses paid for several rounds of interviews during a single morning. Interviews were almost only purely technical questions.

Interview Questions
  • What aspects should you consider when designing a website?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Attended an event at my university, handed in my CV and 2 days later I received an email inviting me to an interview.

Interview was mainly technical. In the first 15 minutes I discussed a project I had done, then I had a 30 minute technical question and the last 15 minutes were behavioural (Why Microsoft, why SDE, etc.).

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

I had a one on one interview with two people from Microsoft. The first part was technical, the interviewer asked me to code a function which would reverse the order of words in a string, and then I had to optimize the solution and consider edge cases, etc... The second interviewer asked me about my projects, my studies, etc...

Interview Questions
    • Give me a program and what you would do to make it better?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview before current techniques implemented so not really applicable, still was asked problem solving skills rather than specific coding skills. Also MS look for people who want to work for right reasons not money.

Interview Questions
    • Different ways or sorting, going through an algorithm for combining and sorting 3 list of data.   Answer Question
    None

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Nothing fancy, standard phone interview, no weird, tricky or anything like what you usually read. We mainly talked about my interests and my projects. I was asked to describe my most challenging projects, what I learned from them and what I think my main attributes are. I was also asked a few behavioural questions, i.e how would you deal with this situation or that situation.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really weird, I had read about tricky questions, but nothing like that   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England
    Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2010.

After HR screening interview, which is really nothing to worry about, was emailed a questionnaire containing a few usual sort of HR questions regarding working in a team, showing initiative etc. plus a few programming specific questions regarding project you have undertaken. It finishes with a couple of C++/C tests fr with you have to time yourself.

Phone interview with a manager was arranged with real time online programming tests.

Finally an onsite day of interviews assessments in Reading.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Software Development Engineer Interview

On Campus Interview, one on one with a senior developer. He told me a bit about him self let me ask questions about his work. Asked me about my experience at one of my jobs on my resume asked both technical questions like what I had done as well as soft questions about problems in the workplace. then asked one technical question.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program to count the number of instances of a string inside another string   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

A applied online through their website and after 2 weeks they contacted me for Skype interview. The interview was very enjoy and took about 15 minutes. This was HR interview. We talked about resume and my background. In the end of the interview, she asked me a simple quiz question about marbles.

Interview Questions
    • You have 9 balls, equally big, equally heavy - except for one, which is a little heavier. You have a pair of balance scales and how you identify the heavier ball?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

Very good Interview, few basic algorithms and questions from strings. Got call after career fair, and had interview the next day. Was mostly a technical round. The interviewer really helped solving the questions