Microsoft

Updated 23 Nov 2014

3.2

596 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Attended an event at my university, handed in my CV and 2 days later I received an email inviting me to an interview.

Interview was mainly technical. In the first 15 minutes I discussed a project I had done, then I had a 30 minute technical question and the last 15 minutes were behavioural (Why Microsoft, why SDE, etc.).

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

I had a one on one interview with two people from Microsoft. The first part was technical, the interviewer asked me to code a function which would reverse the order of words in a string, and then I had to optimize the solution and consider edge cases, etc... The second interviewer asked me about my projects, my studies, etc...

Interview Questions
    • Give me a program and what you would do to make it better?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview before current techniques implemented so not really applicable, still was asked problem solving skills rather than specific coding skills. Also MS look for people who want to work for right reasons not money.

Interview Questions
    • Different ways or sorting, going through an algorithm for combining and sorting 3 list of data.   Answer Question
    None

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Nothing fancy, standard phone interview, no weird, tricky or anything like what you usually read. We mainly talked about my interests and my projects. I was asked to describe my most challenging projects, what I learned from them and what I think my main attributes are. I was also asked a few behavioural questions, i.e how would you deal with this situation or that situation.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really weird, I had read about tricky questions, but nothing like that   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2010.

After HR screening interview, which is really nothing to worry about, was emailed a questionnaire containing a few usual sort of HR questions regarding working in a team, showing initiative etc. plus a few programming specific questions regarding project you have undertaken. It finishes with a couple of C++/C tests fr with you have to time yourself.

Phone interview with a manager was arranged with real time online programming tests.

Finally an onsite day of interviews assessments in Reading.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Software Development Engineer Interview

interview process can be found everywhere in the internet. 1 on campus interview, and 4 rounds onsite interview. I've finished all questions perfectly I think. But received the rejection letter two days later. So confuse. I don't like this interview experience. Not because I didn't receive the offer. Because I don't find the way to improve myself. I really want to know where the problem is.

Interview Questions
    • all question are not very difficult, but they are interest   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Applied through Campus career fair, got email from HR to schedule on campus interview in a few weeks, first round interview on campus/I had a fair negative experience interviewing at Microsoft, the first time the interviewer didn't show up and missed all the candidate interviews in the morning ( There were about 8 of us) and the second time since I got another offer I emailed the HR asking if I could get my feedback from the interview and they simply informed me that there was no record of my interview feedback. This is pretty disappointing and I don't think it leaves me a very good impression about Microsoft.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer works in the big data team, when I described my past experiences he asked some big data related questions to my work   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I had my first interview on campus. The interviewer was great and friendly, and asked me whether I wanted to interview for software dev or product manager, but when I was unsure he interviewed me for both. I got a return interview and we'll see how that goes, but the on-campus was really manageable.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to implement a stack and design a clock.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Contacted by a recruiter. Quick phone screen then on-site interviews with 4+ people. Overall an efficient and good experience. Technical questions didn't really have much of a basis for the actual role though.