Microsoft

Updated 19 Nov 2014

3.2

589 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Attended an event at my university, handed in my CV and 2 days later I received an email inviting me to an interview.

Interview was mainly technical. In the first 15 minutes I discussed a project I had done, then I had a 30 minute technical question and the last 15 minutes were behavioural (Why Microsoft, why SDE, etc.).

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

I had a one on one interview with two people from Microsoft. The first part was technical, the interviewer asked me to code a function which would reverse the order of words in a string, and then I had to optimize the solution and consider edge cases, etc... The second interviewer asked me about my projects, my studies, etc...

Interview Questions
    • Give me a program and what you would do to make it better?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview before current techniques implemented so not really applicable, still was asked problem solving skills rather than specific coding skills. Also MS look for people who want to work for right reasons not money.

Interview Questions
    • Different ways or sorting, going through an algorithm for combining and sorting 3 list of data.   Answer Question
    None

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Nothing fancy, standard phone interview, no weird, tricky or anything like what you usually read. We mainly talked about my interests and my projects. I was asked to describe my most challenging projects, what I learned from them and what I think my main attributes are. I was also asked a few behavioural questions, i.e how would you deal with this situation or that situation.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really weird, I had read about tricky questions, but nothing like that   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2010.

After HR screening interview, which is really nothing to worry about, was emailed a questionnaire containing a few usual sort of HR questions regarding working in a team, showing initiative etc. plus a few programming specific questions regarding project you have undertaken. It finishes with a couple of C++/C tests fr with you have to time yourself.

Phone interview with a manager was arranged with real time online programming tests.

Finally an onsite day of interviews assessments in Reading.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Software Development Engineer Interview

interview process can be found everywhere in the internet. 1 on campus interview, and 4 rounds onsite interview. I've finished all questions perfectly I think. But received the rejection letter two days later. So confuse. I don't like this interview experience. Not because I didn't receive the offer. Because I don't find the way to improve myself. I really want to know where the problem is.

Interview Questions
    • all question are not very difficult, but they are interest   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

I got referred to Microsoft from a friend somewhere in August. In October, i got contacted by a recruiter inviting me to *officially* apply on their website. A couple of weeks later, i got contacted by another recruiter, telling me that they have reviewed my application and that i will be offered a 30-minutes non-technical phone-interview *to assess my background*. On the day of the interview, i got contacted by two different recruiters, one who spotted me on Linkedin and inviting me to *officially* apply on their website and another one telling me they have selected me for an on-site 30-minutes campus interview. Which was pretty confusing ... Okay, so i replied to them both, telling them i *already have an interview in like 30 minutes* and it's non-technical. The recruiter from Linkedin replied that i should be aware that *it is technical*, i will write code ! ... Which was confusing again.
    Finally, someone from the US called me and asked me a bunch of semi-technical questions, which i don't really know what tested. They varied from "when does your passport expire?" to "how would you explain recursion to a 5-year old?". I was also given the classical 9-stones-2-weighing problem and asked what is the difference between C and Java ... There were also some questions from my resume ("what did you find most challenging about ... ?") and stuff like this.

I got contacted back in 2 weeks and they rejected me ... not sure why. Maybe due to my lack of explaining recursion to a 5-year old.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied through campus job fair, heard back in around 2 months for an on-campus interview. The interview was supposed to be 30 minutes long, however mine ran around 20 minutes overtime. The actual interview was described as a mix between behavioral and technical questions, but the interviewer just asked about projects on my resume and 1 technical question. Interviewer was friendly and approachable.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Gave my resume at campus career fair and got a campus interview after one day. The interviewer asked me to manipulate a random string and asked me how to build test cases for my design.

Interview Questions
    • Not much of difficult part. Misunderstood what interviewer said but quickly got his point after more explanation.   Answer Question