Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 23 Apr 2015

3.2

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

1) Resume screening.
2) Online assessment.
3) Pre recorded interview.
4) Technical Telephone interview.
5) Assessment center.

Sent my resume with a bunch of questions. Frame answers well. The online assessment involves - situational questions etc, Pre recorded interview consists of 8 questions with about 20 secs to think of an answer.

Interview Questions

• Why Microsoft? What value would you bring as an intern ?
    Any additional projects apart from academics?
    Describe a time when...?
    Other situational questions?

Hexadecimal of 20, Max value in 6 bits, Code to find the value of the fourth bit in a byte? OOP etc..

Invited to the assessment center.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

The process was very well streamlined. After a phone interview I got invited to the Dublin office with all expenses paid for several rounds of interviews during a single morning. Interviews were almost only purely technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What aspects should you consider when designing a website?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (London, England) in October 2014.

Interview

Attended an event at my university, handed in my CV and 2 days later I received an email inviting me to an interview.

Interview was mainly technical. In the first 15 minutes I discussed a project I had done, then I had a 30 minute technical question and the last 15 minutes were behavioural (Why Microsoft, why SDE, etc.).

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (London, England).

Interview

I had a one on one interview with two people from Microsoft. The first part was technical, the interviewer asked me to code a function which would reverse the order of words in a string, and then I had to optimize the solution and consider edge cases, etc... The second interviewer asked me about my projects, my studies, etc...

Interview Questions

• Give me a program and what you would do to make it better?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Interview before current techniques implemented so not really applicable, still was asked problem solving skills rather than specific coding skills. Also MS look for people who want to work for right reasons not money.

Interview Questions

• Different ways or sorting, going through an algorithm for combining and sorting 3 list of data.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Nothing fancy, standard phone interview, no weird, tricky or anything like what you usually read. We mainly talked about my interests and my projects. I was asked to describe my most challenging projects, what I learned from them and what I think my main attributes are. I was also asked a few behavioural questions, i.e how would you deal with this situation or that situation.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really weird, I had read about tricky questions, but nothing like that   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England) in August 2010.

Interview

After HR screening interview, which is really nothing to worry about, was emailed a questionnaire containing a few usual sort of HR questions regarding working in a team, showing initiative etc. plus a few programming specific questions regarding project you have undertaken. It finishes with a couple of C++/C tests fr with you have to time yourself.

Phone interview with a manager was arranged with real time online programming tests.

Finally an onsite day of interviews assessments in Reading.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)).

Interview

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I have been asked to describe past projects i had.
    Had to write the fibonacci algorithm.
    Had to design a monopol game,and its api.
    I have been interviewed 1:1, recommend people to get prepared well before,and review algorithms and ds models.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Recruiter came to campus at a career fair. Had a 30 minute interview roughly 2 weeks after submitting survey. I was applying for a position that goes to 4th years normally so it was tougher than expected. 1 behavioral question.