Microsoft

Updated 15 Dec 2014

3.2

607 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Attended an event at my university, handed in my CV and 2 days later I received an email inviting me to an interview.

Interview was mainly technical. In the first 15 minutes I discussed a project I had done, then I had a 30 minute technical question and the last 15 minutes were behavioural (Why Microsoft, why SDE, etc.).

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

I had a one on one interview with two people from Microsoft. The first part was technical, the interviewer asked me to code a function which would reverse the order of words in a string, and then I had to optimize the solution and consider edge cases, etc... The second interviewer asked me about my projects, my studies, etc...

Interview Questions
    • Give me a program and what you would do to make it better?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview before current techniques implemented so not really applicable, still was asked problem solving skills rather than specific coding skills. Also MS look for people who want to work for right reasons not money.

Interview Questions
    • Different ways or sorting, going through an algorithm for combining and sorting 3 list of data.   Answer Question
    None

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Nothing fancy, standard phone interview, no weird, tricky or anything like what you usually read. We mainly talked about my interests and my projects. I was asked to describe my most challenging projects, what I learned from them and what I think my main attributes are. I was also asked a few behavioural questions, i.e how would you deal with this situation or that situation.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really weird, I had read about tricky questions, but nothing like that   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2010.

After HR screening interview, which is really nothing to worry about, was emailed a questionnaire containing a few usual sort of HR questions regarding working in a team, showing initiative etc. plus a few programming specific questions regarding project you have undertaken. It finishes with a couple of C++/C tests fr with you have to time yourself.

Phone interview with a manager was arranged with real time online programming tests.

Finally an onsite day of interviews assessments in Reading.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Software Development Engineer Interview

I reached out to them via a campus recruiter. Heard back quickly. Scheduled a quick phone call interview, which was mostly behavioral. Asked a few basic questions such as heap vs stack and java vs C++. Then heard back a month later that they were not interested.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked how many bits needed to represent 100,000 in binary   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

1 written test multiple choice questions not very difficult mostly based on input output databases and concurrency also had 2 coding questions which were also not very difficult, 3 personal interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

The onsite interview was amazing, you first get there and sit in the main lobby for about an hour. Here they want you to play with some of the stuff such as playing video games on their xbox one. They give you free coffee and drinks while you wait. They do this to help your relax. After this you talk to a recruiter for a while and he explains what team you'll be interviewing for and how each interview will happen.

The interviews were pretty nice, they were semi-difficult questions. Most of them were based on strings with a couple of graph theory questions. Some of the questions are based on your resume experience. If you get walked out after lunch the process is over, at the last interview you'll talk to your future potential manager.

Interview Questions
    • Develop a parallel file reader/writer between multiple threads.   Answer Question

Had an offer from Google for a full time position.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Was contacted by campus recruiter, did in person interview which was followed up with an invitation for an on campus interview. That interview consisted of five one hour meetings with various team members within the team I was applying for. The interviewers were polite and offered helpful feedback throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was being asked how to conduct a testing suite efficiently using x number of machines. However, this turned out to be a disguise for a bin packing problem.   View Answer