Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

543 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

I had a one on one interview with two people from Microsoft. The first part was technical, the interviewer asked me to code a function which would reverse the order of words in a string, and then I had to optimize the solution and consider edge cases, etc... The second interviewer asked me about my projects, my studies, etc...

Interview Questions
  • Give me a program and what you would do to make it better?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview before current techniques implemented so not really applicable, still was asked problem solving skills rather than specific coding skills. Also MS look for people who want to work for right reasons not money.

Interview Questions
    • Different ways or sorting, going through an algorithm for combining and sorting 3 list of data.   Answer Question
    None

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Nothing fancy, standard phone interview, no weird, tricky or anything like what you usually read. We mainly talked about my interests and my projects. I was asked to describe my most challenging projects, what I learned from them and what I think my main attributes are. I was also asked a few behavioural questions, i.e how would you deal with this situation or that situation.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really weird, I had read about tricky questions, but nothing like that   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2010.

After HR screening interview, which is really nothing to worry about, was emailed a questionnaire containing a few usual sort of HR questions regarding working in a team, showing initiative etc. plus a few programming specific questions regarding project you have undertaken. It finishes with a couple of C++/C tests fr with you have to time yourself.

Phone interview with a manager was arranged with real time online programming tests.

Finally an onsite day of interviews assessments in Reading.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I had a campus interview first, which give a coding problem. I past this one. Then I got an onsite interview at Fargo. Four/Five round interviews. Every round I should do one or two coding questions, and talk about my projects, my working experiences, and so on.

Interview Questions
    • I failed one logic test problem at the first round, but did well in the rest round. I spend too much time on practicing coding problems. I didn't expect the coding problems are so easy. But I didn't do very well on talking about my working experiences.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

30 mins campus on-site interview. Like normal campus interview, interviewer first introduce what his group do in Microsoft. And then, he asked some normal behavior questions like what is the most difficult project in your resume. Then technical part is quite simple question about linkedlist

Software Development Engineer Interview

I was first asked C# questions like private and static constructors, ref/out, anonymous delegate etc. Then the algorithm question below. It is good to know your resume projects well, C# concepts and algorithms - this covers about everything for developer interview

Interview Questions
    • Find the next node in a binary tree from any node (implying successor to a node)   View Answers (3)

Software Development Engineer Interview

It was an interview on my university campus. The interviewer just asked one question, given a sentence, reverse the order of the words in the sentence. Looking back it was a pretty simple question and he was prepared to ask a couple more questions after, but at the time I was unprepared, so I stumbled a bit and only got through the one.

Interview Questions
    • Given a sentence, reverse the order of the words in the sentence.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

It was a campus interview. The interviewee asked me some general questions about me and my projects. Then, he let me do a string converting question (shift the char with a shift value, for example, 'a' with 1 will be shifted to 'b' and 'z' with 1 will be shifted to 'a'). The question was quite easy but I forgot how to turn ASCII code to char and char to ASCII code. It hurted a lot. Anyway, it was a good experience for me.

Interview Questions
    • I forgot how to turn ASCII code to char and char to ASCII code.   View Answer