Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

520 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

I had a one on one interview with two people from Microsoft. The first part was technical, the interviewer asked me to code a function which would reverse the order of words in a string, and then I had to optimize the solution and consider edge cases, etc... The second interviewer asked me about my projects, my studies, etc...

Interview Questions
  • Give me a program and what you would do to make it better?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview before current techniques implemented so not really applicable, still was asked problem solving skills rather than specific coding skills. Also MS look for people who want to work for right reasons not money.

Interview Questions
    • Different ways or sorting, going through an algorithm for combining and sorting 3 list of data.   Answer Question
    None

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Nothing fancy, standard phone interview, no weird, tricky or anything like what you usually read. We mainly talked about my interests and my projects. I was asked to describe my most challenging projects, what I learned from them and what I think my main attributes are. I was also asked a few behavioural questions, i.e how would you deal with this situation or that situation.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really weird, I had read about tricky questions, but nothing like that   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Reading, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2010.

After HR screening interview, which is really nothing to worry about, was emailed a questionnaire containing a few usual sort of HR questions regarding working in a team, showing initiative etc. plus a few programming specific questions regarding project you have undertaken. It finishes with a couple of C++/C tests fr with you have to time yourself.

Phone interview with a manager was arranged with real time online programming tests.

Finally an onsite day of interviews assessments in Reading.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I had a campus interview first, which give a coding problem. I past this one. Then I got an onsite interview at Fargo. Four/Five round interviews. Every round I should do one or two coding questions, and talk about my projects, my working experiences, and so on.

Interview Questions
    • I failed one logic test problem at the first round, but did well in the rest round. I spend too much time on practicing coding problems. I didn't expect the coding problems are so easy. But I didn't do very well on talking about my working experiences.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft.

Talked to Microsoft at the university career fair. The day before the interview there was a little session with the interviewers which was pretty helpful. Had a 45 minute technical interview the next day on campus.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse the words in a sentence.

For example, "Have a nice day" becomes "day nice a Have"
        View Answers (5)

Software Development Engineer Interview

Questions on Data structures, algorithms, coding etc. some puzzles also. More than the solution the approach to solving a problem is important and talking your solution through convincingly. Answers to coding questions must have test cases, exception handling, readable code with comments, and also be able to satisfy most input sets.

Interview Questions
    • must be able to explain the thought process behind solution well.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

All day interview, even during the lunch. So be ready to answer questions while hungry. The day consist of four one on one interviews. The accent for some interviewers can be difficult to understand so be sure to ask questions to get clarification.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Applies through university.First, there was a written coding test- where there were two easy coding questions- one was if u have a rotated sorted array, write the function to find a given key in o(logn).
    In the interviews they asked questions on DS and many OS questions.
    There was:
    1) coding round
    2) write a code on paper for the given problem
    3) Technical interview 1
    4) Technical interview 2
    5) HR

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

I got these questions in my first round of onsite interview.

1. delete all the duplicate numbers in the array.
    2. Test the login system of a website and the password security.
    3. talk about some of my projects in college.

Interview Questions
    • The first question is the most difficult question in this round.   View Answers (2)

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!