Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

518 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

I had a one on one interview with two people from Microsoft. The first part was technical, the interviewer asked me to code a function which would reverse the order of words in a string, and then I had to optimize the solution and consider edge cases, etc... The second interviewer asked me about my projects, my studies, etc...

Interview Questions
  • Give me a program and what you would do to make it better?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview before current techniques implemented so not really applicable, still was asked problem solving skills rather than specific coding skills. Also MS look for people who want to work for right reasons not money.

Interview Questions
    • Different ways or sorting, going through an algorithm for combining and sorting 3 list of data.   Answer Question
    None

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Nothing fancy, standard phone interview, no weird, tricky or anything like what you usually read. We mainly talked about my interests and my projects. I was asked to describe my most challenging projects, what I learned from them and what I think my main attributes are. I was also asked a few behavioural questions, i.e how would you deal with this situation or that situation.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really weird, I had read about tricky questions, but nothing like that   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Reading, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2010.

After HR screening interview, which is really nothing to worry about, was emailed a questionnaire containing a few usual sort of HR questions regarding working in a team, showing initiative etc. plus a few programming specific questions regarding project you have undertaken. It finishes with a couple of C++/C tests fr with you have to time yourself.

Phone interview with a manager was arranged with real time online programming tests.

Finally an onsite day of interviews assessments in Reading.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I had a campus interview first, which give a coding problem. I past this one. Then I got an onsite interview at Fargo. Four/Five round interviews. Every round I should do one or two coding questions, and talk about my projects, my working experiences, and so on.

Interview Questions
    • I failed one logic test problem at the first round, but did well in the rest round. I spend too much time on practicing coding problems. I didn't expect the coding problems are so easy. But I didn't do very well on talking about my working experiences.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

It was a recruiting event on campus. Then an interview in Microsoft Offices, Mexico City. Then 3 rounds interviews were held on Puerto Vallarta. All microsoft recruiting staff are very nice people.

Interview Questions
    • There were not unexpected questions, the hardest part is to control your nerviousism.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft.

Talked to Microsoft at the university career fair. The day before the interview there was a little session with the interviewers which was pretty helpful. Had a 45 minute technical interview the next day on campus.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse the words in a sentence.

For example, "Have a nice day" becomes "day nice a Have"
        View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Questions on Data structures, algorithms, coding etc. some puzzles also. More than the solution the approach to solving a problem is important and talking your solution through convincingly. Answers to coding questions must have test cases, exception handling, readable code with comments, and also be able to satisfy most input sets.

Interview Questions
    • must be able to explain the thought process behind solution well.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

The process was quite simple. I had applied through college placement department. Initial round was aptitude, this was an online round.Those who cleared this round were intimated about the second round which was online coding round consisting of two questions which were quite simple. Those who cleared this were shortlisted for third round which was a written coding round,consisted of one simple question. They were not concerned if you could solve the problem but were curious to see as to what logic was a person using. Some candidates from the second round were directly sent to the fourth round. The fourth and fifth rounds were technical interview. All rounds were elimination rounds. Last was the HR round.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were quite average. Not too tough and not too simple. All demanded presence of mind and out of the box approaches.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Patiala (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Patiala (India)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

The process was conducted by our university. First there was a objective round in which questions related to all the fields were asked, but mainly were from C,C++. Then there was a coding round. Tree and graph based questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • Group fly round was the most unexpected in which all the candidates provided the same answer but without any specific reason some were short listed   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!