Microsoft

Getting the Interview

479 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Interview before current techniques implemented so not really applicable, still was asked problem solving skills rather than specific coding skills. Also MS look for people who want to work for right reasons not money.

Interview Question – Different ways or sorting, going through an algorithm for combining and sorting 3 list of data.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Software Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Nothing fancy, standard phone interview, no weird, tricky or anything like what you usually read. We mainly talked about my interests and my projects. I was asked to describe my most challenging projects, what I learned from them and what I think my main attributes are. I was also asked a few behavioural questions, i.e how would you deal with this situation or that situation.

Interview Question – Nothing really weird, I had read about tricky questions, but nothing like that   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Reading, England

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2010.

Interview Details After HR screening interview, which is really nothing to worry about, was emailed a questionnaire containing a few usual sort of HR questions regarding working in a team, showing initiative etc. plus a few programming specific questions regarding project you have undertaken. It finishes with a couple of C++/C tests fr with you have to time yourself.

Phone interview with a manager was arranged with real time online programming tests.

Finally an onsite day of interviews assessments in Reading.

Interview Question – Appetude test   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I applied the software engineer position online, and get the on-campus interview after few days. Interview had two parts, the general and the technical parts. The general part is about the questions like why did you choose to be a software engineer and why did you choose MS. And the past projects/jobs you have done & what did you learn from that. The technical part is quite easy, which is just a simple coding question.

Interview Question – Find the number of '0' bits in an integer.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2013.

Interview Details Interview was fairly technical, There were five rounds of interviews. Each interview was an hour. There was a lunch interview which lasted 90 mins.

Interview Question – Permutations of a words in a sentence.   Answer Question

Interview Details Interview Question:
1. Why do you want to come to Microsoft
2. Among all the projects you have done, what is the most difficult one or the one that you are most proud of?
What problems did you solve?
3. Given an array of random real numbers, find the sum of the subset with the maximum sum.

Interview Question – All of them are not very hard   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

Interview Details 4 rounds of interviews. First to find a solution to a Sudoku. Second round is to give you a word and a 4 * 4 grid with each square is an character, you can go up, down, left, and right, to judge whether the word can be found in this grid. Third round is to design an online shopping system. Final Round is to find all prime numbers from 1 to 1000.

Interview Question – The second round, give you a word and a 4 * 4 grid with each square is an character, you can go up, down, left, and right, to judge whether the word can be found in this grid.   View Answer

Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2014.

Interview Details The interview was on campus. The interviewer was nice and easy. He asked a few really short behavioral questions and then went to the programming question. There was only one programming question which was to write a simple fizz buzz program, in any programming language. I chose C. He then asked where in the code could go wrong.

Interview Question – where in a C program could go wrong   View Answer

Software Development Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2011.

Interview Details couple of phone interviews. After I cleared them, they scheduled the main interview. Had five rounds in the main interview. All of them involved algorithms, data structures and coding. I did four of them pretty well and one not so good.

Interview Question – You have an existing set of words. You are then given two words (word1 and word2) as input. Can you provide and algorithm to transform word1 to word2 in several steps such that the intermediate word generated in each step belongs to the existing set of words. At each step, you are allowed to only modifying one character, or add one character or delete one character. If you feel such an algorithm can exist, can you also provide me an algorithm which can transform word1 into word2 in minimum number of steps.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Questions were not asked clearly. He didn't care at all to clarify questions and even sounded rude on that, when I asked for further clarification, he just repeated the question, never tried to even rephrase it!

Interview Question – Memory allocation   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Software Development Engineer interview questions and advice. All 479 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.