Morgan Stanley

Updated 25 Jan 2015
1,170 Interview Reviews

3.2

Summer Analyst Markets and IB London Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

After having pased 3 rounds of compentency telephone interview each lasting c. 30 min, I was invited for a office interview split in 2x 30min. The questions were mainly CV related and I was asked to justifie every intership/ work experience and what I learned from it. Other questions were relating Extrecuricula activities where I showed a leadership role. I was called a view days after the interview and got my invite to the AC. The AC started with a numerical test, followed by a case study. The case study was about an acquisition and candidates had to chose the best fitting target. I presented the result in an individual interview to a senior banker. After that I had a group case study which was about the same company but we now had 5 potential targets (instead of 2 at the individual case study). We presented our ranking of options and justified each. After that I had 2x 30min interviews. All questions were compency based. A few technical questions came up about Multiples and DCF but nothing too difficult.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

All very pleasant and professional. I applied online and completed a numerical test before being invited for a telephone interview. This was followed by a few one-on-one interviews in person.

Operations Analyst Interview

The hiring process for Morgan Stanley Glasgow Operations Analyst is as follows. Online application, followed by online tests including a numerical test, a verbal test, and a quick 2 minute same/different test. If you score well on those, you will move on to a phone screening. During this you will be asked why the company and why the role. I was asked what my salary expectations were and after I told the lady, she immediately said that the job pays significantly less than the $75k that I was looking for. She asked if I wanted to continue and I said absolutely. She then scheduled for me a phone interview for 2 days later. That interview consisted of about 4 questions, and I was asked to use the STAR method to answer them. Appx 1 week later I was called and told that I did a very good job and impressed the operations person that I spoke to. We then scheduled an assessment center date for around 2-3 weeks later.

Summer Analyst IBD Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

I have applied online in October by uploading my cv and cover letter, I was asked to complete psychometric tests, more exactly numerical and logical. After waiting, I have been invited to a phone interview in December. I have waited for the result for more than average due to the Christmas period.

Interview Questions
    • What exactly would you do in an IBD internship? Talk about one of Morgan Stanley's clients and details about transactions made.   Answer Question

Operations Placement, Glasgow Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Application form with 4 questions. Verbal numeric reasoning which were fine. Then you also had a same/different checking test which was abit annoying and impossible to do if you are not blessed with eagle eyes.

Phone screening 2 weeks after that. Was surprised I got a call as I didn't really give the application much thought. Seems like they are desperate for people, it's been 1 month since the deadline and the application is still open.

The actull phone interview is the basic boring teamwork stuff and all. I don't know what he was trying to get out of it but when I asked him to rephrase the sentence he would do it but ask me a different question, insisting it is the same one ( leaving me even more confused ) . Wasn't intrested in what I had to say nor his job, which effected my confidence.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you showed commitment to risk management ( rephrased to : tell me about a time you didn't agree with an order). Enjoy!   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Applied in mid/late October, was invited for a phone interview in November (given about two days notice by email). This was a chat with a VP, if I remember rightly, which began with general motivation questions as to why IB, why M&A specifically, why MS over others. Moved onto asking about what I thought the job entailed/what I would do as an intern and my plans for my own future.

Then spent some time talking about technical things, essentially walking through the various parts of a DCF before a bit of questioning on the ways a company could finance their M&A endeavours.

Ended with an opportunity for me to ask him some questions. Was invited to their next round, about three weeks later, which was a strange "speed dating" style evening held at a local restaurant, where 5 MS employees of various levels came and sat with a table each of about 4 students and spent 30 minutes at each table. The questions here were mainly questioning motivation for the job/industry, as well as different things accomplished at university and a bit on the general market conditions and economy.

This night was very impersonal in my opinion...employees almost immediately took a preference to certain individuals which ended up isolating the rest of us...in addition, this meant that sometimes questions were asked to one person about, for example, the recent oil price drop, to which only they were given the opportunity to provide an answer, which would impress the interviewer. It was quite a surprise event and while I found it a good experience to grow my exposure to different banks' methods, it was quite frankly a disappointment to be their "next round" after an enjoyable first telephone interview.

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Group interview , balancing costs of project
    Individual programming interview , pseudocode and logic.
    General interview regarding problems solved and other things such as team work. Usually they are more interested in projects that were not part of school work but will accept either

Interview Questions
    • Explaining how a linux command line tool like ssh works , if you mentioned linux in the cv you might make sure you know the most common tools and utilities.
      You have to describe everything that happens from the moment the user presses enter.

Answer Question

Sales and Trading Summer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2015.

Consist of 2 parts, with 2 different interviewers:
    - ED for 30 minutes
    - MD for 30 minutes

The first interviewer was nice and made it more relaxed for me. Introduced himself, his job and what are the up and downs of working in the industry.
    Less competency and more about market awareness.
    - Whats the recent news?
    Further discuss about the news and issues. Your thoughts!

The second interviewer was a lot stricter! Kept drilling and picking points from my answers.
    Ask more competency questions,
    - Tell me a time when you work in a team on a group project, and you had a problem with one of the team members? How did you go about solving it?
    Company related questions. KNOW THE COMPANY!

Was a great experience overall!

Interview Questions
    • Dont mention what you don't know or have little knowledge about! They might dig deeper!   Answer Question

Sales & Trading Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

introduced to MS at careers fair.
    Networked with recruitment and emailed MS recruitment team.
    Telephone interview - mainly technical

Assessment Centre - 3 interviews, all about why MS, brainteasers, my background

pitch 3 investments - given a sheet of paper and asked to analyse different securities,

Middle of the day we had a networking session with current graduates for lunch

group exercise - on creating a new tech product.

Followed by kenexa numerical test

Interview Questions

Offered opportunity in buy side

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Applied through a careers fair back in October/November. They had recruiters there on the day and said they would do interviews there and then so I thought why not. Questions were fairly basic company questions and some technical ones. Nothing extremely hard but the interviewer was very grumpy and bland.