Morgan Stanley

1,116 Interview Reviews

3.2

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2014.

Applied through their careers platform for a Summer Internship in Technology in London. Got a phone interview two weeks later. The interview lasted for 40 minutes, but was mostly technical. You might get asked why technology and that's it, the interviewer will jump right into technical questions. The monotone interviewer felt slightly hostile. Be prepared to be asked detailed questions about a programming language you mentioned on the CV and eventually some concepts you might not be familiar with, so make sure you do some reading beforehand and take a look at some of the questions below.

Interview Questions
    • Advantages of OOP, what is it and how does it work?
      What is encapsulation?
      How does error handling works?
      Do you know what is exception handling?
      How does an hash table works?
      What is bubble sort? What is its complexity?
      What is quick sort? Do you now less complex sorting algorithms?
      What about merge sort?
      How does multithreading works? Advantages and Disadvantages? What is the race condition?
      Walk me through the several SQL commands? How to add and delete information in a DB?

Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Applied Online, numerical tests and got an invite for phone interview 3 weeks later. The phone interview was about 30 minutes and the interviewer was indeed aggressive and challenged everything I said.

Interview Questions
    • How did the recent financial crisis start? What is your opinion about the recent regulations?   Answer Question

Operations Placement Interview

Online application - telephone interview.

Was all competency based, fairly standard questions:

- Why us?
    - Why ops?
    - Client service
    - Leadership
    - Team work

Got back to me two weeks after the interview with a rejection email.

Operations Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2014.

Apply online. First round was telephone interview. The lady was really nice. I got quite relax and started chatting with her about her job etc. She asked me very basic competency questions. My suggestion is have someone to practise with you, make sure he/she can take notes and the key points are the ones you want to be remembered with. Second round was assessment centre which had two interviews and one group exercise. In the two interviews, each interviewer asked 4 competency questions and builded up from my answers. The group exercise was easy. Make sure you read the instructions clearly and watch out for the time. Morgan Stanley people were all so nice! Just relax and be yourself!

Interview Questions
    • Explain a complex concept with simple words.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you mad wrong decision and what did you do to fix it?   Answer Question
    No negotiation at entry level

Treasury Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2014.

It's a Telephone Interview. Interviewer introduced herself first. She's a senior manager in the liquidity function based in London. Then she wanted me to talk about myself a little bit.

Business Services Interview

Telephone interview with two people followed up by a face to face with the same two people at their HQ in London. Both didn't seem to understand the actual objective goals of the person that they were trying to hire, that is to say, they didn't really know what the person would be doing to help them progress with their programme of work and they didn't understand the knowledge and experience that was required for that person to do the job that they were being hired to do. After the second interview, it took nearly a month for them to complete their hiring process, doing credit checks and CRB checks, etc and verifying work history for the previous FIVE years. All for a THREE MONTH contract!

No negotiation possible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Invited to do phone interview after applying online and completing numerical reasoning test. First phone interview was fairly standard and actually quite enjoyable - it was done with a more junior employee who was more interested in what I knew rather than what I didn't know. Second phone interview was with a Vice President - much more difficult. Always probing for follow up questions and gave little in the way of feedback. Always make sure to have your follow up answers prepared!

Interview Questions
    • No stand-out questions that were particularly difficult - all technical questions were standard DCF and WACC questions. The most difficult aspect of the interview was being asked to go into further and further detail. Lesson learned is that if you're planning on bringing something up, make sure you know it inside out.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2014.

Divided into 3 phases following tests. 1st round two phone interviews with analysts in IBD team, 2nd roundone phone interview and one face-to-face. Last roundassessment centre. Only made it to the 2nd round and all my interviews were conducted by people with the same nationality as me, even though I was applying to London Office.

Interview Questions
    • How will the financial statements be affected if I do an adjustment in the company's depreciation. Walk through it.
      Why isnt interest payments included in FCF calculation.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2014.

Submitted online, waited for 2 weeks before phone interview with analyst. During the interview it was a mix of technicals and fit questions about my background. Interviewer was really friendly and really nice. Ask me my interest in the division I was applying to and asked me to walk through my CV. Also had a brain teaser at the end. Waited for 2 more weeks before getting invited to face to face interviews in London

Summer Analyst (Technology) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2014.

Online CV form, followed by a numerical reasoning test. Then a phone interview, mine was with a vice president of technology. Contained general IT questions (how does an OS work? what does a HDD do? etc).

Invited to an assessment centre about a week later. 6 people there, 1 going for the year placement the rest for the summer programme. A group project about implementing a new system first. Followed by two technical interviews, one is sat in on by a managing director. Seems that one is on networks etc and one is on advanced programming.

Interpersonal interview after that was fairly standard, when have you had deadlines etc. When have you worked with other cultures.

About a week after this I got my offer.

Interview Questions
    • Something about threading in Java (or your best language), a system to store desktop statistics on a server from 40,000 desktops.   Answer Question