Morgan Stanley

Getting the Interview

913 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales and Trading Intern Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details Two 20min phone interviews with junior level employees - one a commodities trader, the other an equities trader. Started with standard competency questions - then became quite technical. Both quite informal and felt like more of a chat.

Interview Question – How would you hedge a trade on the Yen ?   Answer Question

Fund Services Summer Analyst Interview

Glasgow, Scotland

I applied online - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2013.

Interview Details Online testing, surprise short telephone interview, scheduled long telephone interview, assessment centre consisting of two interviews and a group exercise.

Interview Question – Describe a time you found a weakness in something and improved it.   Answer Question

Middle Office Analyst Interview

London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in March 2010.

Interview Details Was approached by a recruitment agency with a job spec for a role supporting the Exotics desk. The interview was quite late at night in their offices and the hiring manager looked haggard and worn. The role was to cover for maternity leave with potential of staying on after that depending on the business growth. I provided feedback to the agency the next day and was offered the role the day after.

Interview Question – They were mostly situational type questions (how would you deal with different circumstances, etc.) but one stuck out: With stock options, how does the risk of a put differ from that of a call when they are close to expiry?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I had an alternative offer from another IB the same day and they upped their offer once they knew MS's rate

Associate Interview

Glasgow, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in March 2014.

Interview Details cv, covering letter and 4 application questions followed by 3 online tests,. then a telephone interview followed by an assessment centre (2x 45 mins interview & group task)

Interview Question – who are our regulators   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Glasgow, Scotland

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in April 2013.

Interview Details Single Interview, Panel consist of 2 people- mostly Associates/Directors, lasts 45 mins- 1 hr, Standard questions- Tell me about yourself,about your previous roles, Why did you apply for this role? Why Morgan Stanley?
Competency based questions like Team work, Analysed data, influenced, communication handled complex situation, difficult person, prioritization- met deadlines, strength, weakness etc. Need to answers with examples. Some specific questions based on our examples could be asked.
Dress formally, Arrive in time, communicate clearly and effectively.

Interview Question – No difficult questions asked, standard set of competency questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No.

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst
London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2014.

Interview Details after you apply online, give 2 online tests numerical and vrbal reasoning after a 1 month got back to me with an invitation to telephone interview quite straight forward interview mainly motivation / competency based

Interview Question – A time you have had to deal with conflict in a group?   Answer Question

Graduate Technology Analyst Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2014.

Interview Details The next stage after online application, was the phone interview which i was invited after 1 month. The phone interview was simple competence base questions plus some small technical questions. After that i was invited to an assessment center. which consisted of 2 technical interview, one competence interview. and a group exercise.
The group exercise, was about servers, which they were planning to deploy, and there were different solution with their pros and cons. and we had to discusses the best solution
The technical interviews, were tailored to the CV and background, so there is no point in mentioning them, However touching on some: Database: how can we store all instance of the user's password. Indexes, Unix terminal (man), HTTPS, HTTP

Interview Question – Explain kerberos.   Answer Question

Sales and Trading I Year Placement/Placement Year Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2013.

Interview Details Initial Application. Basic- Just need a cover letter
Then 3 online tests.
Maths
Logical reasoning
and some sort of fast analysis test. basically 5 minutes and you need to spot the error in the data

1st round interveiw- was told it would be 2 x 30mins with a vp within prime brokerage and someone else within that department

Actually lasted 30mins. . the 2 people were on a conference call.
Basic competency asking many follow ups
many why morgan stanley questions

2nd round. Assessment Centre.

3 interviews with various employees. ( basically same as the questions over telephone)
1 Individual presentation
1 group presentation
Maths test

. Unfortunately i did not succeed in the final round. Was told that it was due to my confidence ...

Interview Question – Why did you pick subject X in your a levels as it seems to vary from your other subjects   Answer Question

Graduate Operations Analyst Interview

London, England

Interview Details Good experience, friendly people. I passed the telephone interview, which was entirely available online on glassdoor and similar sites. The assessment centre was half a day with a group discussion and two interviews. Interviews were mainly competency based with a few tricky questions. I received good feedback about the assessment centre,and they said that I met their requirements in each of the tasks but it felt like they only had one position left so I didn't get the job. Seemed like a very professional and friendly environment.

Interview Question – They asked me to name three regulators during telephone interview.
At the assessment centre I was asked what the bonds market was doing.
  Answer Question

Spring Insight Week Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2013.

Interview Details Online application with numerical test is the first stage undertaken by everyone, after this, if you are successful you will be contacted for a 15-30min telephone interview, which will competency based. After this step, if successful, there will be the final round interview, which consists of two 30min telephone interviews in 1hr.

Interview Question – Some tricky questions that could arise are about the market conditions. Since the ones applying are all 1st year students, this may well be that you are not so keen about the market news yet, but try and reading some recent news of what is happening in the world and focus on something you are genuinely interested in.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Morgan Stanley

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Morgan Stanley interview questions and advice. All 913 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Morgan Stanley employees and interview candidates.