Morgan Stanley Interview Questions

Updated 27 Sep 2014
1,026 Interview Reviews

3.2

Summer Analyst Interview

The process was the typical for a big IB: numerical and verbal test, telephone interview, in-person final interviews etc...
    The questions in the telephone interview were very strange and the analyst who asked them was clear about the fact that they were just given to him but he thought they were stupid.

Interview Questions
    • Question: "A car is going fast on a road. There is a man in the middle of the road. Due to a major blackout, all the lights in the street are not working. The car battery has a problem so its lights don't work either. There are no emergency battery-powered lights etc...
      However, the car avoids the man in the middle of the road. How/Why?
        View Answers (2)

Assistant Vice President Interview

1 telephone interview, 3 face to face interviews and a case study to understand how the candidate thinks in a particular situation. The process took almost two months to complete from the time i applied via a recruiter to the time when the final offer was made.

Interview Questions
    • Business case involving how to build a solution on a Business Unit request   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

fairly same. you need to complete verbal, numerical and checking error test. it was followed by a telephone interview. finally it was an assessment centre which consisted 2 competency based interviews. each was carried out by 2 managers. after that i had an group exercise with your fellow candidates.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glasgow, Scotland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Assessment centre in Glasgow - two 45 minutes competency questions interviews and group work which was a business case debate

Interview Questions
    • nothing difficult - the phone interview had an interesting one though: explain a complicated concept in simple words   Answer Question
    none

Sales and Trading Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Two 20min phone interviews with junior level employees - one a commodities trader, the other an equities trader. Started with standard competency questions - then became quite technical. Both quite informal and felt like more of a chat.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glasgow, Scotland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in March 2014.

cv, covering letter and 4 application questions followed by 3 online tests,. then a telephone interview followed by an assessment centre (2x 45 mins interview & group task)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2014.

after you apply online, give 2 online tests numerical and vrbal reasoning after a 1 month got back to me with an invitation to telephone interview quite straight forward interview mainly motivation / competency based

Investment Banking & Global Capital Markets Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

I applied online and after successfully passing the online tests I was invited to a phone interview. The phone interview was a mix of competency based questions and technical corporate finance questions. After successfully passing the phone interview process I was invited for interviews in London. There were 3 interviews back to back. I was on a group of 12 applicants and the interviews were taking place at the same time in a big working space with cubicles. The interviews were mainly with executive directors and mainly competency based. There were some technical questions and brain teasers. I am confident that the interviews went well. However after one and a half months of waiting and receiving HR emails that my application is still under consideration I got rejected. The main negative aspect of my experience was the extremely prolonged process,1,5 months for the first two rounds and another 1,5 months waiting to get rejected!

Interview Questions
    • Why would a valuation based in comparable comps analysis might be lower in value compared to a transactions comps valuation? As I am not studying finance and my theoretical knowledge in corporate finance is limited I faced difficulties in this question.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Online application form
    Telephone Interview
    Assessment centre.

The assessment centre was two days long.

It consisted of the following:
    Day 1:
    Psychometric testing (lots of diagrammatic reasoning)
    Group exercise (IIRC it was planning an office relocation from a tech POV)

Day 2:
    Interpersonal interview (2 interviewers)
    Technical Interview (2 Interviewers, different from the interpersonal interview)
    Q&A Session

The took us for dinner the evening between the two days were we got to meet with people who had already gone through the graduate training programme. Very useful. Got some interview tips from them!

Interview Questions
    • The handed me a bit of paper with some code on it. I was totally stressed out by the situation being my first proper interview. i had no idea. Tried working it out, but they eventually just took the paper off me and said "if you don't know what it is at first glance, you'll probably not work it out".   View Answer
    I did not negotiate, as they offered me more than I though possible as summer intern, and certainly more than what my peers got at typical software houses.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

I was called four weeks after submitting application and asked to come in for first round interviews the next day.
    I had two face to face interviews, each around half an hour.
    One guy was very easy going, typical fit questions with one or two mental maths questions.
    The other guy was extremely rude, on his phone the whole time, no eye contact, didn't shake hand or say thanks and bye at the end (maybe a test?) he asked pretty difficult maths and technical questions.

Interview Questions

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!