Morgan Stanley Interview Questions

Updated 13 Apr 2015
1,263 Interview Reviews

3.2

Spring Insight Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (London, England).

Interview

Online test + 2 round phone interviews. The first round was with only one representative, the second one was with 2 people from 2 different business lines. Applied in late September, interviewed between December and January.

Interview Questions

• Competency based questions, tell me about one time when you failed.   Answer Question

Graduate Technology Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

First stage is CV screening until they invited me to a phone interview. Phone interview consists of questions about your career motivation and some basic technical questions. Then passed the interview they invited me to the assessment centre. Assessment centre consists of 2 technical interviews, 1 group assessment, 1 competency based interview, 40 minutes for each and you get 5 minutes break in between. The assessment centre was very well structured.

Technology Spring Insight Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (London, England) in March 2015.

Interview

Application with cover letter and competency questions, Telephone interview (30 mins), Assessment centre (Group exercise, 1hr individual interview).
    There was no psychometric tests which was good, however the application questions can be quite specific.
    I really enjoyed my telephone interview as I spoke to an employee there and he really worked me up and made me think on the spot, also we nearly started an economic debate (despite being an technology role interview). The whole telephone interview took roughly an hour which is unusual as normally it only lasts 30 minutes.
    The assessment centre is quite rare for a spring programme, however it was not very challenging, everyone is very friendly, you have time to talk to your teammates before the group exercise to 'break the ice'. The individual interview was 2:1, 30 mins on motivational questions, 30 mins on technical - they don't ask you too much about programming skills but more of an Oxbridge-style interview: they go through and work with you to solve a analytical problems.
    I think I did very well on the group exercises and the HR lady confirmed that on the phone when giving me the offer, I could have done better in the Oxbridge-style questions since I didn't fully understand the problem in the first place - but the interviewers were extremely friendly and guide you through, and they gave you extra time just to ask questions about the role that you may have.
    Overall Morgan Stanley gave me a extremely good impression and I can see myself applying again for their Summer Internship / Placement role.

Interview Questions

• They briefly asked about your knowledge of investment banking to show that you have done your research on the company and the industry despite applying for a technology role.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

1st round was a mixture of standard behavioural & technical questions - why Morgan Stanley, various valuation techniques. Generally friendly
    2nd round was much more aggressive. The interviewer asked me about recent deals that I have followed & was digging into detail for which I wasn't that prepared. After that the interviewer asked me about a couple of valuation technique questions and ended the interview abruptly.

Interview Questions

• Which of the three valuations gives the highest estimate and why?   Answer Question

First Year SummerOperations Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley (London, England) in February 2015.

Interview

First of all, I submitted an application online through the career office of my university in November.
    Then, I received an email inviting me in a telephone interview in last days of January. I had it four days later.
    If you were successful, then, the next and final stage was during the same week. This one was composed of assessment centre, where you had to solve some problems cooperating in a group, and two interviews, where they assessed further your skills and personality.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to apply for a role in Operations with us?   Answer Question
    • How would you work in a international team?   Answer Question
    • Do you have experience when dealing with clients?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your qualifications and what you know about operations. How would you match your skills/strenghts with a role in this department?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a past experience when you found yourself in tackling a problem in a condition of pressure.   Answer Question

UK Technology Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

Applied online after speaking to a recruiter at university recruitment fair.
    Had an hour long telephone interview 3 weeks later which had questions on my interest in technology, finance and Morgan Stanley. Also covered principles of OOP, some Java features and SQL database questions. Interviewer was nice and helpful.
    Invited to an assessment centre, later that day, for the next day which would have included a group exercise, two 40 minute technical interviews and one 40 minute interpersonal interview, however I was unable to attend.

Interview Questions

• What are the 3 fundamental concepts in OOP?   1 Answer

Analyst - Technology Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

After online application, they responded within 2 weeks. A technical phone interview was scheduled where they mainly discuss things related to your CV and from there it escalates quickly.
    Its usually a 30-40 minutes interview.
    They start with asking about the programming language you are comfortable with and then the questions are based on that and depending on how you answer the difficulty level increases.
    In the end you are given few minutes to ask any questions about the company, role, etc.

Technical Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

4 hour Assessment centre with 2 technical interviews, 1 interpersonal and 1 group. They asked about everything on my CV, was generally very well planned out and pleasant. There was 30 mins break inbetween each interview and a meeting with the CEOs of the company

Interview Questions

• Please explain to me how the hardware of the PC translates to your program   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

All very pleasant and professional. I applied online and completed a numerical test before being invited for a telephone interview. This was followed by a few one-on-one interviews in person.

Summer Analyst Markets and IB London Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

After having pased 3 rounds of compentency telephone interview each lasting c. 30 min, I was invited for a office interview split in 2x 30min. The questions were mainly CV related and I was asked to justifie every intership/ work experience and what I learned from it. Other questions were relating Extrecuricula activities where I showed a leadership role. I was called a view days after the interview and got my invite to the AC. The AC started with a numerical test, followed by a case study. The case study was about an acquisition and candidates had to chose the best fitting target. I presented the result in an individual interview to a senior banker. After that I had a group case study which was about the same company but we now had 5 potential targets (instead of 2 at the individual case study). We presented our ranking of options and justified each. After that I had 2x 30min interviews. All questions were compency based. A few technical questions came up about Multiples and DCF but nothing too difficult.