NIH Interview Questions in Maryland

2.6

29 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD (US)

The process took a day - interviewed at NIH in July 2012.

contacted the OI directly and interviewed directly with the PI and his lab members
    gave a 30-45 minute talk followed by questions and answers
    flew in in the morning, spend 4-5 hours at NIH and flew out in the evening

there is no negotiating. starting salary for a 1st year postdoc is set

Postdoctoral Visiting Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at NIH in January 2012.

I contacted the PI I was interested in directly. This appears to be a good strategy and have since advised others to do so as well, with success. I found that it really helped that I had made contacts within NIH and had a reference from one of them. The interview process was pretty informal and conversational, fit/personality seemed very important as did general clear and logical thinking, specific skill sets were emphasized but not crucial, though some positions may be very focused on technical skills.General questions included the usual experience questions and "where do you see yourself in 5 years", "whats the ultimate dream" etc. Had to do a presentation of my doctoral research.

Interview Questions
    standard visiting fellow package..not much room for negotiation

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rockville, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NIH.

Contacted by an NIH recruiter inviting me to apply to the Pathways Recent Graduate program. Quick screening interview over the phone and an in-person interview a few days later. The interview was a panel with 9 or 10 managers at once who all had openings to fill. Given job offer shortly after.

Interview Questions
    • I did not find the questions too difficult. Most difficult thing was juggling separate questions from so many interviewers but still try to make answers relevant to anyone since they were looking to fill multiple positions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. This is government so there are policies and legislation on how agencies set pay.

Facilities Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at NIH in May 2013.

The hire process is the typical goverment hiring process. The Interview was a panel of three personnel with situational questions. The personnel on the hiring panel did not have the same level of education as I do and were not aware of some of the information that I was giving them upon answering thier questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was, Why I felt I was the best person for the job?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD (US)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at NIH.

Just a one on one interview with two separate staff members. Interviewing process is definitely different depending on the position in which you are applying for. My interviewer asked several questions regarding previous employment positions and asked for me to elaborate about my role and tasks performed during my employment with that company.

No negotiations.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at NIH in October 2010.

The hiring and Interview Process is Completely depend upon the area of specialization of the candidate and the prospective principal investigator at NIH. The interview generally happens with resume review, then a telephone (sometimes Skype) interview, next is on campus interview. International candidates may not have onsite interview. Generally straight forward; Hardly any behavioral questions. The candidates are asked to give a presentation and meet other section chiefs. Process may go unto 3-4 months

Interview Questions
    • Generally straight forward; Hardly any behavioral questions   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Branch Chief Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rockville, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at NIH in March 2011.

The entire process took a very long time from start to finish. I was contacted after submitting an online application and attached my resume. I received 3 separate phone calls for 3 separate interviews. I was interviewed by a small team, separate individual people and then a large team and finally the Head of the Department.

Interview Questions
    • What type of culture do you think we have here at NIH?   Answer Question

Accepted another offer from another company which was willing to pay me a higher salary.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD (US)

The process took 3 months - interviewed at NIH in November 2011.

Invitation to the laboratory to recieve a tour, meet the current lab, and give a 40 minute seminar on current research.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. The salary is "as is."

Hsa Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at NIH.

Global application. Many interviews via phone, email and in person. Slow process, with many steps, so prepare well. Write detail resume and cover letter. Took several weeks to move on. Hiring process is long.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you changing jobs. What do you think this job is about.   Answer Question
    Little room for negotiation in the federal government. At least for me. But got more vacation time that most.

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at NIH.

I was already a contractor and I got switched to an full time employee.

Worked for NIH? Contribute to the Community!