National Bank of Canada

Updated 13 Jan 2015
Updated 13 Jan 2015

2.8

Senior Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Bank of Canada.

2 interviews, an HR screening interview and then, if you pass that, the real interview: with a director.
    He or she will probably ask the usual stuff, financial knowledge, technical acumen. The more you know, the better, obviously. Depends on your background: if you are financial study technology a bit. If your technical, try to improve your knowledge of financial markets. There's a million books. Pick a few, read them. Learn the stuff. People depend on you.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about our line of business?   View Answer
    Pretty normal, he wrote down a number and I accepted it.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Bank of Canada in December 2014.

Got a phone interview
    Then a one-on-one interview
    Then a one-on-one with the branch manager.

The interviews were very easy but the last interview with the branch manager was something else... He was SO incredibly rude, did not make me feel comfortable AT ALL and after interviewing me, he said he was looking for someone who knows how to build client relations and since ive only worked in big companies he didnt think i could get the job done. I got a call a few days later asking me to come in to sign a job offer and i refused it. If this branch didnt want me in the first place, i wasnt about to accept the positon. Maybe it was my single experience but national bank needs to train their employees on how to give interviews. The people at the branch were also very rude to me, i felt unwelcomed. Glad i dodged a bullet! Never settle for a job, keep searching til you find the right one for yourself where you are treated with respect :)

Interview Questions
    • Sell me this pen

Tell me about a time when you didnt finish a task

Answer Question

Rude manager, unwelcoming employees

Personal Banker Interview

Very smooth and clear of what the expections where. People are very nice

Applications Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Bank of Canada in July 2013.

HR phone interview, Hiring manager interview, Hiring team director interview

Recruitment Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at National Bank of Canada.

Apply online.

Begins with a phone interview usually.

Then one-on-one interview with HR..basic behavioral questions.

2nd interview usually with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had many priorities to manage, how did you handle this situation?   Answer Question

Teller Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at National Bank of Canada.

Open house interview about 10 min

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Bank of Canada in December 2012.

So the hiring manager calls me, we setup an interview date. Come interview day, the meeting goes really well and the manager gives me positive feedback.

Then after many unreturned phone calls and emails, the trail goes cold. One week passes, then two, then three. What is up National Bank

I'm very disappointed to say the least. Speaking with friends that work at National Bank, not answering the phone and not returning repeated contacts appears to be standard operating procedure for letting a candidate know they are not accepted.

Obviously, I would not apply to work at National Bank again.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any particularly difficult questions, it was a standard difficulty interview.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

A 3 steps process usually: phone interview with HR, then first interview with HR and management, and a third interview with management and upper-management. Classic questions related to the position: sales experience, client relationship abilities, closing abilities, credit risk knowledge, corporate finance and accounting knowledge is an asset. Personal questions were asked regarding past experiences, strengths and weaknesses. They conclude the interview by asking me salaries expectations.

Finance Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at National Bank of Canada in October 2012.

We arrange an interview with the previous intern as well as the manager. We look over the resume, ask what I am capable of. The intern went over the works he's doing and we discusses about some possible role I would have to learn and do.

Commercial Banking Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at National Bank of Canada in September 2011.

They want to see if you can sell anything to anyone. Cross-selling is really important. All the financial analysis thing is not important. Learn the basic of financials and you will learn it on when you get hired.

No negotiation