National Grid - UK Interview Questions

Updated 5 Mar 2015

2.8

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at National Grid - UK.

Interview

I applied through recruiters and was given an interview. I was put up in a hotel for a night. The first day, me and those also being interviewed were taken to a restaurant for a meal. The next day, the day of the interview, there was a group exercise and there were 4 assessors surrounding us and watching us as we did the assignment. Then there was another assessment where we were given a box and we had to sell it to the assessor. Lastly, the face to face interviews came - the questions were mostly competency based.

Interview Questions

• The box assessment was difficult. The box could be anything you wanted it to be but you had a really short amount of time to really think up a good story to sell.   Answer Question

Engineering- Gas Distribution, Network Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, West Midlands, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Grid - UK (Warwick, West Midlands, England) in January 2015.

Interview

My application process started by me visiting their site directly and applying online.

Once received an online test has to be taken. Make sure you take your time writing this as later on the stages, they'll be going through screening and short list candidates based on yours answers provided online.

the following stage is a video interview- was not difficult compared to other employers as you have the chance to re-record your answers. small questions, 'what is your weakness', 'How would you friends describe you' etc asked with 30 seconds to record.

Assessment centre- this is the most important part, of course, you'll be competing against other candidates. It consists, based on my experience, of a group exercise- You read on a brief assignment and discuss together the option in the group, a presentation- In my situation, I had to sell a box, could be made into anything, and finally a one to one interview- they give you the competency requirement before hand so you have time to prepare for it. Wasn't asked any technical question, more how I would behave in a team environment etc

Interview Questions

• Name me a time where you had to prioritise?   1 Answer

Summer Internship Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at National Grid - UK in January 2012.

Interview

Written application, followed by a day of assessment centre. AC was a 1.5 hr interview around competency and compnay questions. Also had to do a presentation exercise

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, West Midlands, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at National Grid - UK (Warwick, West Midlands, England) in January 2008.

Interview

Slow process and very easy interview, they'll hire everything from a supermarket cashier to a carpenter thinking they can turn them in electrical engineers after 2 week training course

Negotiation

they'll always try to offer the minimum, the interview structure is so bad that they're unable to tell between a good and bad candidate, you can get an extra 5% if you ask for

Senior Analyst Interview

Interview

Was relatively easy because I did my interview so long ago. I am just trying to see what's going on with the company and this website insists I provide information that's not relative to what I'm trying to do.

Interview Questions

• Why do you deserve this position.   1 Answer

Management Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at National Grid - UK in January 2014.

Interview

the company appears to have great benefits and the people are very friendly

Interview Questions

• What value can you add to National Grid?   1 Answer

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at National Grid - UK (Waltham, MA (US)) in April 2013.

Interview

Terrible - it took a few months just to get me into the system. And they gave VERY limited options for taking the mandatory drug test (which was told to you at the very last second).

Interview Questions

• What would make you work harder than the rest of your co-workers?   Answer Question

Mechanical/Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Grid - UK (Long Island City, NY (US)) in April 2013.

Interview

interviewed by a hiring manager and an engineer together, asked six very formal STAR questions. They took notes when I was talking. Questions including:

Most challengeable task you have ever done.

Irreasonable&/or impossible task

What if your work has been plagiarized by others?

How do you motivate others

How do you get accustomed in a new working environment?

How do you work well with others?

Interview Questions

• Describe one time when your work has been plagiarized by others.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at National Grid - UK in April 2009.

Interview

National Grid seems like a great company to work for. I was offered an interview which I was a little nervous about at first because it's not exactly what i was looking for in a job but was pleased to find out about their great open-culture, great benefits, and performance bonus'. Before the interview I did my research about the company and was pleased to find out that this company seems like a great place to work.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you had to overcome difficulty.   Answer Question

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at National Grid - UK (New York, NY (US)) in March 2009.

Interview

The actual interview was what you would expect. There were some behavioral questions and a few broad technical questions. Interview went fine and was told I would be contacted with decision in two weeks. Didn't hear back for a month and when I contacted them to inquire if a decision had been made I was told they were almost there and HR would let me know. Never heard from NG again. Not even the courtesy of a rejection email. Overall I would describe my experience as: waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had a conflict with a boss. How did you deal with it?   Answer Question