New York Life

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Services Representative Interview

Financial Services Representative
New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Selling pitch--endless growth possibility, selling insurance, commission based (solely), family & friends are your network. Call from recruiter, then one on one interview. Research company functions, products, services. Prepare to sell the products to family and friends

Interview Question – How will you expand your network to reach new customer base?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Commissioned based salary

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details Fairly simple. Met and discussed with a licensed agent as well as a partner of the company. In total there were three interviews. All of the interviews/meetings lasted no longer then thirty minutes. Interviews were in a relaxed environment. I was nervous going into it but felt comfortable once things got started.

Interview Question – Questions were relatively general. How to deal with rejection, what are your world concerns, your greatest skill to attribute to the company. They threw a curve ball by asking what my favorite animal was and why.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Fairly strung out. Not completely clear as to what compensation would be.

Agent Interview

Agent
Stockton, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in June 2014.

Interview Details Interview1: Introductions, just getting to one another.
 Interview2: Introduction to Products and how they are marketed.
 Interview3: Compensation Conversation

Be sincere, genuine, and a go-getter.

My recruiter was knowledgeable, professional, and easy to talk to. Does his job well.

Interview Question – "Tell me about yourself."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Stiff. No Negotiation.

Management Position Interview

Management Position
Sleepy Hollow, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

Interview Details The phone and in-person interviews went well but never heard back from them. I understand not being the right fit for a role or possibly they are re-thinking the position but after a few months, it's unprofessional not to follow-up with people who take the time to come in for an interview.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions, primarily wanted to understand how my background and experiences applied to the needs of the position. There were a few situational questions about different ways I've managed people in the past but this is also expected for a management position.   Answer Question

CVP Interview

CVP
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life in February 2013.

Interview Details The meetings were very disorganized and really uncomfortable. I met with 10 people individually and had the same conversation separately with each of them. What a colossal waste of time. It was very obvious that none of them had ever hired or fired anyone. It was also apparent that they were uncomfortable because they didn't know how to conduct an interview.

Interview Question – Name your favorite person in history.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Oddly enough after talking to them I was the one that didn't want the job.

Financial Representative Interview

Financial Representative
Melville, NY (US)

I applied through another source - interviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

Interview Details Received email to come in for interview. Asked to wait in lobby. Asked to take personality online survey. Rated on answers. Called in to an interview. Interviewer was great. There is a sub contract where goals have to be met before they offer a perm contract. Training offered as well as a mentor. Sales position.

Interview Question – Did I consider myself a good sales person?   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Insurance Sales Agent
Manchester, NH (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New York Life in January 2013.

Interview Details Extensive interview process 3 meetings so that you understand fully what you are going to be doing and how you will achieve success, you must also get licensed. I recommend you find a managing partner you enjoy working for it makes the best out of the experience.

Interview Question – There was no difficult or unexpected questions asked, just fully read everything and if you have questions ask.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing is really negotiable.

Very Easy Interview

Agency Manager Interview

Agency Manager
Okemos, MI (US)

I interviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

Interview Details Received phone call on Tuesday, 5/20/14 after they found my resume on line. When she said she was calling from NY LIfe, I told her I've tried selling life policies before (Prudential, MassMutual) and was not successful. She said something like, "Oh, no, this is for sales, this is a position for an agency manager. You won't have to sell, you'll have people under you selling." This caught my attention as I have a management degree. An interview was scheduled for Friday, 5/23/14.

Met the lady and AS SOON as we sat down she confessed that what she told me over the phone wasn't entirely accurate, that I would have to start out in the field selling as an agent for the first year or so and THEN move into management. I should have left right then. To me, this is a deceitful hiring practice and should be reported to someone.

She talked about the job a little and then the office manager came into the interview who turned out to be her husband. He talked about the income potential (sell 50 policies your first year and make about $80k-$110k. When I worked for the other 2 companies I sold maybe 5 policies total, 3 to me, my ex-wife and my son. It's not easy selling life insurance.) He said they expect you to make 15 contacts per day in hopes of setting 2 appointments per day. I asked him how many others he's interviewing and he mentioned some large number (100+) and that he has to interview so many per month or quarter to hit his numbers for a bonus or to maintain his pay by HQ. THIS explains the lying about the job to get you in front of them for the interview. They had me take an assessment questionnaire on a computer in the office. They said they'd let me know about coming back in for a second interview by yesterday or today, 5/28/14. I never heard from them.

I've been licensed since 2000 and don't actively market that I am an agent/broker, but I keep my licenses going. When i do talk to people in general conversations about life insurance, I tell them to buy term, it's a lot cheaper even though I wouldn't make as much in commissions. Everyone always appreciates me telling them that. What I DO try to do is get them to buy more in coverage/face amount (pay off debts, replace a spouse's income for X number of years, college funds for kids, leaving a legacy, etc.) and then round up to the next quarter million mark for the price breaks. (ie: it's cheaper to buy a $500,000 policy than a $490,000 policy.) I'm also able to shop premiums around through a brokerage house (being an independent agent/broker) rather than being a captured agent and only able to sell for one company. Consider that when being recruited. Most captured agents will receive a gradually-decreasing "salary" from their company over the first year as you're 'supposedly' selling policies.

The lure of a very high income is intriguing, but there are too many cons to consider accepting this position, if offered.

Interview Question – The only question asked of me was what I want this job to entail.   View Answer

Financial Services Professional Interview

Financial Services Professional
Fairfax, VA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

Interview Details I applied to this position through my school's hiring program. I was scheduled for an interview a few days later. The interview was a little under an hour long. Interviewer was very friendly and helpful. They mostly just wanted to get to know me both personally and professionally. He explained the three step interview process to me and a little about the services they offer and the compensation and the company structure. I filled out an online survey after, and was given materials to read/ fill out in order to move to the next stage of interviewing.

Interview Question – They interview was just about getting to know me. One question was asking what is the first thing I do when I walk into a party. The whole interview was just questions about me, nothing technical.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I basically got offered to move to the next stage of interviewing, but I declined because the job is 100% commission and I am not wiling to take the risk, especially selling life insurance.

Financial Services Intern Interview

Financial Services Intern
Wall, NJ (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life in December 2012.

Interview Details There were a total of three rounds for my interview. Each one requiring a certain amount of work to be done and brought back to the next interview. Last round included calling ten people and receiving referrals from them while asking them questions. It was fairly simple. Most questions were personality based. They want to see that you are a go-getter and that you take initiative.

Interview Question – Tell me something about yourself thats not on your resume.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was commission based.