New York Life

Updated 16 Jan 2015
Updated 16 Jan 2015

2.4

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in September 2014.

A staffing agency contacted me and I was scheduled to have an interview with New York Life in Waltham, MA location. The location is huge and fancy. This is a temporary position and I was interviewed by the manager, first she asked if I know anything about this position and what did the staffing agency told me about this position. The interview questions are straightforward, no surprise questions at all. At the end, she asked if I am interested to come back for 2nd interview with her team leader. They called me about 2 hours later, after the 1st interview and schedule for 2nd interview the next day. The 2nd interview is pretty much he same as the 1st interview, same questions and they will give you a hit how are chance that they will hire you.

Interview Questions

I received a better offer from another company

Financial Adviser for Insurance/Investment Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in September 2014.

Submitted my resume through my school and got a email the following day about a phone screening. Later the recruiter changed it and told me to come in for an overview of the role, etc. The first meeting was very standard. The recruiter told me about the role, what I would be doing, why they think I'd be good for the role, etc. (this is basically is a sales job!). The whole time I basically had the feeling that she was trying to sell me the job. At the end she asked me if I had any contacts that I can sell insurance and financial products to. The second part was a compensations talk which basically said you'll make what you sell but also talked about the support systems that NYL have for assisting you. They wanted me to come in for a third and fourth meeting which they would introduce the products, but I declined.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the financial products that New York Life offers?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Was contacted via email asking for an updated version of my resume in early September. About a week later, I received a request for a phone interview. The questions were geared towards general questions about academic and professional experience, and towards gauging demonstrated interest in pursuing a career as an actuary.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to convince a group of people to do things a certain way.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Apply online. Resume requested. Junior/Senior undergrad status. GPA varies. Major varies. Three phone interviews followed by internship offer. Internship total = 12 weeks. Compensated. Location varies. Overall, pleasant experience.

Developer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at New York Life.

Phone interview followed by a personal interview. The initial interview is technical but consists of questions you can find on Google (hint. hint.) The second interview you meet with everyone and see if you can get along. For full time employees they care more about personality that tech skills so laugh a lot. For contractors they are very picky technically. If your resume is over 2 pages they may just toss it out. Just include some popular buzz works and check Google.

Interview Questions
    • Google interview prep question and you will find the questions they are using. Standard canned questions. Of course this is not related to what you will be doing so keep that in mind.   Answer Question
    They will lie about what you will be doing to get you in the door.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at New York Life.

Very simple, the company is looking to sell you on the position and the benefits that can come with success. They really are looking to make sure you can hold conversation, and can represent the company in a positive way. There are four interviews but after the first, they focus more on what the company offers, more than your actual skills

Actuarial Assistant/Actuarial Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at New York Life.

I was surprised by the unprofessional manner this phone interview was handled. The interviewer is not from HR which is fine, but she did not indicate that she was actually a participant of the program at the beginning of the interview. I discovered that at the end of the interview when she referred to the program in 3rd person.

I was bombarded by a series of behavioral questions and only had 5 mins to ask questions.

I got a response two weeks later that I did not get an offer. I kindly asked for feedback regarding the interview but "Unfortunately, it is our policy to not provide feedback to candidates about their interview." Well goodbye NYL.

Intern Interview

One phone interview with a recruiter for first round of screening.
    Second interview over the phone with potential manager and mentor in a department that the company chooses.
    If that department if not what you are looking for, the whole process is repeated

No negotiation. Interns make $18 per hour

New Claims Processing Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

I received a call from HR to set up a telephone interview last week. Initial communication was friendly and inviting. The actual interview took place the following day and I was asked typical interview questions such as strengths, difficult situations, etc. It would have been helpful if the HR representative was more familiar with office locations though.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you were creative within a previous role.   Answer Question

Bilingual Insurance Sales/Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

I applied online on a Saturday and received a call from them two days later on that Monday. After going to the first interview, I decided it wasn't what I was looking for so I opted out of the other two interviews. It is a total of 3 interviews for the starting position. 100% commission based.

Interview Questions
    • - Why NY Life?
      - If I were to call your best friend, what would he/she say about you?
      - 5 words that would describe you
      - Why insurance sales?

Answer Question