New York Life

Updated 12 Dec 2014
Updated 12 Dec 2014

2.4

Actuarial Assistant/Actuarial Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at New York Life.

I was surprised by the unprofessional manner this phone interview was handled. The interviewer is not from HR which is fine, but she did not indicate that she was actually a participant of the program at the beginning of the interview. I discovered that at the end of the interview when she referred to the program in 3rd person.

I was bombarded by a series of behavioral questions and only had 5 mins to ask questions.

I got a response two weeks later that I did not get an offer. I kindly asked for feedback regarding the interview but "Unfortunately, it is our policy to not provide feedback to candidates about their interview." Well goodbye NYL.

Intern Interview

One phone interview with a recruiter for first round of screening.
    Second interview over the phone with potential manager and mentor in a department that the company chooses.
    If that department if not what you are looking for, the whole process is repeated

No negotiation. Interns make $18 per hour

New Claims Processing Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

I received a call from HR to set up a telephone interview last week. Initial communication was friendly and inviting. The actual interview took place the following day and I was asked typical interview questions such as strengths, difficult situations, etc. It would have been helpful if the HR representative was more familiar with office locations though.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you were creative within a previous role.   Answer Question

Bilingual Insurance Sales/Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

I applied online on a Saturday and received a call from them two days later on that Monday. After going to the first interview, I decided it wasn't what I was looking for so I opted out of the other two interviews. It is a total of 3 interviews for the starting position. 100% commission based.

Interview Questions
    • - Why NY Life?
      - If I were to call your best friend, what would he/she say about you?
      - 5 words that would describe you
      - Why insurance sales?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

Directly got a interview for my position, however, when I headed to the office, they told me the internship can not be provided to international students because they want the internship to become a full time job.

Mortgage Loan Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

Standard pre-screen phone call. Next was a one on one interview with the director. Got invited for a second round interview which was also one on one.

The people are really friendly and it was quite easy speaking to them. Sadly, I did not get the position.

Career Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Within just there weeks since I posted my resume on a job-links website I was contacted via an email from the NYL recruiter for an in-person interview. The introduction interview was scheduled quickly along the later day of week. My first impression of the NYL recruiter was friendly, professional, thorough and tactful. The actual interview took about an hour. Followed by a Personality Test that NYL requires for assessing the candidate's "potential" career path within the lines of field agent or corporate management's role. It's very clear throughout the whole process that NYL recruits are well-trained and well-prepared for screening and hiring the prospects.

Interview Questions
    • What my prior career experiences can apply to the life insurance business?   Answer Question

Marketing Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

The people were genuine, but the interview process wasn't effective. As a candidate, those on the team that met with me during two interview cycles did not convey a clear picture of what the position really would entail. It seemed as if perhaps the role wasn't clearly identified before they tried filling a staffing hole or newly created position. I was offered the job, which I declined.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

First interview went well. Second interview was disappointing since hiring manager never showed up. He left me waiting for over an hour. They don't validate parking. The hiring manager called me 15 minutes after 3pm to see where I was and stated that we had an interview at 2pm. I laughed it off since I am looking for training and support. If the manager is too busy to meet with me on time, then how will the support be? I waited in the lobby for an hour before I left. Maybe that's some kind of a test to determine how much of a push over you are.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

Was referred to the company by a friend then was called by a NYL rep. Spoke to him on the phone for about 20 minutes then he asked me to come in for a meeting. We then had a 1-1 meeting. Went over bits of training and financial incentives. Seemed pretty clear cut. Incentives were great and straightforward.

Not right fit.