New York Life Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct 2014
Updated 16 Oct 2014

2.4

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at New York Life.

They found my resume on the wed, contacted by phone, set up an interview. Basically they were not interviewing me, but advertising this position, trying to convince me to work for them. Since it was 100% commission based position, i decided not to proceed.

Agent Interview

Hiring process was simple and straightforward-met hiring manager at a networking event, and spoke to him a few times. Took a quick computer test and was given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult--they only care about who you know so they can use you to get more business   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Applied online, followed up with recruiter, phone screening and onsite interview. met with the team while onsite and had 3 rounds of interview with panel members. Took a tour of the office premises. People were helpful.

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

There was an initial interview that last about 20 minutes if they like you and it's just to get an initial feel for you. Then, they have a much more detailed interview where they try to scare you about the harsh realities of a completely commission based salary. Next, they tell you exactly what to expect out of the internship and what tests you need to pass to obtain certifications. The one thing I didn't like was that they don't provide anyways to help you sell. They pretty much tell you to figure out your own unique way and hopes some of the older guys will help you out a bit.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Went through three rounds of interviews with progressively more senior management. Interview questions were very typical - what is your least/most favorite job activity, what do you to to manage stress, decision making examples etc. Interviewers were very respectful and made the interview enjoyable. Second interview involved an aptitude test - wasn't difficult to anticipate the answers they were looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to sell our services to your friends and family?   View Answer

I was interviewing with several other companies at the time and was offered a more competitive position.

Agency Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Okemos, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Okemos, MI (US)

interviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

Received phone call on Tuesday, 5/20/14 after they found my resume on line. When she said she was calling from NY LIfe, I told her I've tried selling life policies before (Prudential, MassMutual) and was not successful. She said something like, "Oh, no, this is for sales, this is a position for an agency manager. You won't have to sell, you'll have people under you selling." This caught my attention as I have a management degree. An interview was scheduled for Friday, 5/23/14.

Met the lady and AS SOON as we sat down she confessed that what she told me over the phone wasn't entirely accurate, that I would have to start out in the field selling as an agent for the first year or so and THEN move into management. I should have left right then. To me, this is a deceitful hiring practice and should be reported to someone.

She talked about the job a little and then the office manager came into the interview who turned out to be her husband. He talked about the income potential (sell 50 policies your first year and make about $80k-$110k. When I worked for the other 2 companies I sold maybe 5 policies total, 3 to me, my ex-wife and my son. It's not easy selling life insurance.) He said they expect you to make 15 contacts per day in hopes of setting 2 appointments per day. I asked him how many others he's interviewing and he mentioned some large number (100+) and that he has to interview so many per month or quarter to hit his numbers for a bonus or to maintain his pay by HQ. THIS explains the lying about the job to get you in front of them for the interview. They had me take an assessment questionnaire on a computer in the office. They said they'd let me know about coming back in for a second interview by yesterday or today, 5/28/14. I never heard from them.

I've been licensed since 2000 and don't actively market that I am an agent/broker, but I keep my licenses going. When i do talk to people in general conversations about life insurance, I tell them to buy term, it's a lot cheaper even though I wouldn't make as much in commissions. Everyone always appreciates me telling them that. What I DO try to do is get them to buy more in coverage/face amount (pay off debts, replace a spouse's income for X number of years, college funds for kids, leaving a legacy, etc.) and then round up to the next quarter million mark for the price breaks. (ie: it's cheaper to buy a $500,000 policy than a $490,000 policy.) I'm also able to shop premiums around through a brokerage house (being an independent agent/broker) rather than being a captured agent and only able to sell for one company. Consider that when being recruited. Most captured agents will receive a gradually-decreasing "salary" from their company over the first year as you're 'supposedly' selling policies.

The lure of a very high income is intriguing, but there are too many cons to consider accepting this position, if offered.

Interview Questions
    • The only question asked of me was what I want this job to entail.   View Answer

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY (US)

I applied through other source – interviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

Received email to come in for interview. Asked to wait in lobby. Asked to take personality online survey. Rated on answers. Called in to an interview. Interviewer was great. There is a sub contract where goals have to be met before they offer a perm contract. Training offered as well as a mentor. Sales position.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

It feels like they are trying to sell the position to me and makes me believe that there are a lot of potentials to make a lot of money.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

The interview process took a couple of weeks. There were 3 interviews total, all with the same person - a partner. The first interview consisted of asking me questions about myself. Then, there was a personality test. The 2nd interview was to tell me about the company, followed by a class about the compensation package, benefits, etc. The final interview was to offer me the job.

Interview Questions

Wasn't interested in a job with no base salary.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

I applied to this position through my school's hiring program. I was scheduled for an interview a few days later. The interview was a little under an hour long. Interviewer was very friendly and helpful. They mostly just wanted to get to know me both personally and professionally. He explained the three step interview process to me and a little about the services they offer and the compensation and the company structure. I filled out an online survey after, and was given materials to read/ fill out in order to move to the next stage of interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • They interview was just about getting to know me. One question was asking what is the first thing I do when I walk into a party. The whole interview was just questions about me, nothing technical.   Answer Question

I basically got offered to move to the next stage of interviewing, but I declined because the job is 100% commission and I am not wiling to take the risk, especially selling life insurance.