New York Life

333 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Insurance Agent Interview

Insurance Agent

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details I applied online and was invited to the office for a face to face interview with the Partner's assistant. Basic questions were asked about my experience, why I wanted to work for the company. I took a personality test online and passed. I was subjected to an extensive background check which took a considerable amount of time. Once I passed my insurance test and secured my license, I was able to start producing.

Interview Question – Be prepared to talk about the company. The information is available online, so this was an easy request for me. There were no challenging questions asked of me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 100% commission

Financial Services Representative Interview

Financial Services Representative
Philadelphia, PA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in September 2011.

Interview Details There are generally three interviews. The first is your typical job interview explaining yourself and your past work experience.

Second interview is called a marketing meeting. It's a group interview where one of the managers goes over the company, the duties and the compensation (it's pretty much all BS, very few people write 100 policy's and make the $75k they tell you about)

Final interview they ask you to identify 15 ppl in your "natural market" who you could approach to set an appointment with and sell insurance or annuity products.

Interview Question – How will you identify and approach your own clients   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None. There is no salary so your are told to start setting appointments ASAP

Actuarial Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Interview Details Applied online, scheduled phone interview in about 3-4 weeks. Normal behavior questions no surprise. Got the rejection letter before thanksgiving break.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Insurance Sales Agent
Melville, NY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in February 2013.

Interview Details Giving the idea of having a great opportunity at a fortune 100 company, being a sales position the reward may be very beneficial or not. Many people are hired and more people quit, Classes of new agents come every month and teach you about financial products and services. Not many people will be turned away from this position.

Interview Question – Can you handle full commission and be rejected from thousands of people day in and day out?   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Lawton, OK (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in February 2012.

Interview Details It's a multiple-interview process to ensure candidates and NYL are a good fit for each other. Not for everybody.

Interview Question – Can't recall. Very natural conversation.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in September 2011.

Interview Details When i took the interview one manager was asking me how i would react to rude costumers? do i like fashion? why do i want to work there? why do i like this store? have i ever encountered rude people?

Interview Question – really none were difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation of anything

Associate Interview

Associate
Harrisburg, PA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Interview Details Interview process was very simple. No Stress - very informal - interview was scheduled after-hours and convenient. Interview was a 4-step process. 1st - get to know each other 2nd learn the job 3rd learn the training program 4th learn the compensation plan. The manager who I met with was very nice and easy to discuss the job with.

Interview Question – none - the interview wasn't a typical interview.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – wrong job for now

Summer Accounting/Finance Intern Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New York Life in January 2013.

Interview Details About 2 months

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you had to persuade a group of people to do something and how you did it.   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Agent
Edina, MN (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life in August 2013.

Interview Details 4 interviews with projects (homework) to prepare for the next. Your work must be satisfactory just to advance to the next interview. This involves interviewing family, friends, neighbors, and other acquaintances to prepare. They also test your skills to identify places or businesses as sales opportunities. One of the most challenging processes I've been through but the opportunity is great if it is a good fit for you. It turned out to not be for me.

Interview Question – Do you see yourself as "Culturally Mobile"?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, you start part time with no base salary, only commission.

Actuarial Intern Interview

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details I only got to the phone interview. Interviewer was very nice and professional. For the first part you are totally in control, as they ask you to "tell me about yourself" and you should prepare good things to say. Then he asks typical interview questions, with emphasis on insurance related topics. Then you ask questions, so make sure to prepare some good questions to ask as well.

Interview Question – Something to the effect of - What natural or political occurrence could jeopardize a life insurance company's solvency?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Life