New York Public Library

18 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Library Information Assistant Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview Details Interviewed with HR. Average questions. HR rep seemed inexperienced and rushed in interviewing process.

Interview Question – Typical behavioral questions - open ended scenarios.   Answer Question

Librarian, Young Adult Services Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview Details You will be interviewing with an HR staff member to see if you meet the basic requirements of the job. Previous work experience, degree, comfort level working with a diverse public, technical aptitude, etc. You should realize that once hired for a specific position, you may be moved to another location.

Interview Question – None. Just be and act professional.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is none. There is no wiggle room for entry level librarians.

Senior Library Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview Details Straightforward experience. Referred. Two tiered process.

Interview Question – A scenario based question about what to do with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Straightforward. Rather fixed terms and I was okay with it for that time.

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in June 2010.

Interview Details Online application, got called by HR within a week for an interview where they just ask you to organize material alphabetically and numerically. Got called for a second interview onsite by the hiring department and interviewed followed by the job offer later in the day.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a problem with a supervisor?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Library Page

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in December 2013.

Interview Details I applied for this job online and recieved a call within two weeks. It didnt feel like an interview it felt more like having a conversation with someone. The interviewer explained the job description and also gave me a tour since this was a new branch that did not open yet. She asked if I was familiar with the Dewey system which is how the library organizes books.

Interview Question – Are you familiar with the Dewey system?   Answer Question

Library Page

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in September 2008.

Interview Details Sent my resume and cover letter in to the main branch, received a call within about a month. I came in for an interview, they gave me an assessment of my organizational abilities and then I was hired, held a meeting shortly after giving me documentation etc.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at NYPL?   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Public Library in April 2012.

Interview Details I was contacted by recruiter if I am interested in this position. I've sent my resume and hiring manager was also interested in me. I had an interview in agency prior actual job interview because it was contracted position billed through agency. After I completed all paperwork I went to interview with hiring manager. Interview was 45-50 minutes, first questions as usual, than few curve balls. Hiring manager was hard to approach and even thou she answered all my questions I thought that she was not in total control of project I would be assigned to. Also for me she was a doppelganger of my ex girlfriend.

Interview Question – Which risk management tools have you used in your career?   Answer Question

Information Services Assistant Interview

Information Services Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in February 2012.

Interview Details I went on two interviews also had a drug test as well as a background test. It took forever to get to the next step. Process took about a month and a half just to hear back from someone. Since it too so long I get a different job which only took 3days to get hired.

Interview Question – What type of community service have to done?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Public Library in August 2010.

Interview Details I dropped by the HR department to apply for the Library Page position. I was called back about 3 days later for an interview. The interview was scheduled for the following week. It was a 1:1 interview with HR, which was very simple and straightforward. They asked why I wanted to work in NYPL, favorite books/authors, previous jobs, customer service experience. All in all, easy general questions. After the interview, I received a call with an offer and directions to where I was going to be working. That was pretty much it.

Interview Question – Why would you like to work at NYPL?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They let you know your pay rate for the position.

Page Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at New York Public Library in May 2009.

Interview Details This was a one on one interview followed by test of skills on a second day.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for New York Public Library? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Public Library interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews are posted anonymously by New York Public Library employees and interview candidates.