New York Public Library Interview Questions

Updated 29 Aug 2014
Updated 29 Aug 2014

2.6

Pre-Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Public Library.

I was called in for an interview by the woman who would become by manager and then a few days later I received a call from HR saying that I was hired.

The Interview process was fairly laid-back. I didn't feel as if the interviewer was trying to trip me up. She presented the requirements and description of the position with good detail and answered any questions I had. It was a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Library Information Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at New York Public Library in July 2014.

They have an initial HR interview for the position, and if you pass it, they submit your materials to the branch managers, who call you as they wish. The branches with openings do not necessarily sync up with the openings posted online. They prefer to call with interview offers, and then when you set a date, they will typically email you a confirmation. Then they'll either call you with an offer or mail you a rejection letter. Physical mail. Which takes forever to receive.

Interview Questions
    • Not so much unexpected, as difficult to answer--I was asked about what I thought about the programming of the NYPL. I had researched what I thought was the specific branch I was applying to, but it turned out she meant the NYPL as a whole, and their library-wide programs.   Answer Question

Library Information Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at New York Public Library.

Interviewed with HR. Average questions. HR rep seemed inexperienced and rushed in interviewing process.

Librarian, Young Adult Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online – interviewed at New York Public Library.

You will be interviewing with an HR staff member to see if you meet the basic requirements of the job. Previous work experience, degree, comfort level working with a diverse public, technical aptitude, etc. You should realize that once hired for a specific position, you may be moved to another location.

Interview Questions
    There is none. There is no wiggle room for entry level librarians.

Senior Library Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library.

Straightforward experience. Referred. Two tiered process.

Interview Questions
    • A scenario based question about what to do with a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    Straightforward. Rather fixed terms and I was okay with it for that time.

Library Page Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in December 2013.

I applied for this job online and recieved a call within two weeks. It didnt feel like an interview it felt more like having a conversation with someone. The interviewer explained the job description and also gave me a tour since this was a new branch that did not open yet. She asked if I was familiar with the Dewey system which is how the library organizes books.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Public Library in April 2012.

I was contacted by recruiter if I am interested in this position. I've sent my resume and hiring manager was also interested in me. I had an interview in agency prior actual job interview because it was contracted position billed through agency. After I completed all paperwork I went to interview with hiring manager. Interview was 45-50 minutes, first questions as usual, than few curve balls. Hiring manager was hard to approach and even thou she answered all my questions I thought that she was not in total control of project I would be assigned to. Also for me she was a doppelganger of my ex girlfriend.

Interview Questions
    • Which risk management tools have you used in your career?   Answer Question

Information Services Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in February 2012.

I went on two interviews also had a drug test as well as a background test. It took forever to get to the next step. Process took about a month and a half just to hear back from someone. Since it too so long I get a different job which only took 3days to get hired.

Copyright Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Public Library in November 2010.

I met with two people. One was in the legal department and the other was on the business management side. I thought both interviews were conducted very professionally. I didn't feel like the questions they asked were "gotcha" questions or like they put me on the spot, and I felt like they took care to educate me as much about the position as they did to see if I met their needs. I didn't end up getting the job, but I had a good enough experience with the interview process that it makes me remain interested in working there in the future.

Interview Questions
    • Let's pretend that a donor wants to donate to the NYPLE pictures that his father took of a famous gay pride parade in New York City. The pictures show people in various outfits, with their faces clearly shown, but does not identify the individuals by name. You'd like to be able to include the pictures in an exhibit that the museum is putting up. What copyright considerations are you confronted with here? How would you handle them?   View Answer
    • Why does the NYPL interest you as a place to work?   Answer Question

Library Page Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Public Library in August 2010.

I dropped by the HR department to apply for the Library Page position. I was called back about 3 days later for an interview. The interview was scheduled for the following week. It was a 1:1 interview with HR, which was very simple and straightforward. They asked why I wanted to work in NYPL, favorite books/authors, previous jobs, customer service experience. All in all, easy general questions. After the interview, I received a call with an offer and directions to where I was going to be working. That was pretty much it.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They let you know your pay rate for the position.