Nordstrom

892 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Novi, MI (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details Applied online and got a call a week or 2 later. Got a call from the manager of the department I applied for to schedule an in person interview. Had a one on one interview with the department manager and she asked simple questions about myself and all easy behavioral questions. She then took me around the department and then had to do a mock sale. Lasted about an hour. Got a call a week later and got the job.

Interview Question – All easy questions- most unexpected part of the interview was the mock sale   Answer Question

Visual Stylist Interview

Lakewood, CO (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details Interview process was comfortable and sincere. Had to create "looks" for window display.

Interview Question – What magazines do you read?
Where do you see yourself in 3 years?
Who is your fashion icon?
What is my personal style?
  Answer Question

Food Server Interview

Corte Madera, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2014.

Interview Details It was very fast. Got a call for an interview and then did orientation and paperwork .

Interview Question – It was a basic question. Nothing hard or difficult. Just questions were regarding previous job and why this one.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes . Minimum pay with benefits.

Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details I applied online. I received a call a few weeks after words to schedule a on phone interview. There is a system where you can schedule and reschedule your appointments. I received the call, the interview was very mono toned. It sounded like she was reading off a script. It was terrible.

Interview Question – How do you feel about working for commission? Describe a team leader situation.   Answer Question

Aventura, FL (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details I had to meet with the HR Manager as well as the Department Manager. Hiring was pretty straight forward and easy.

Interview Question – I don't recall any unusual questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiating wasn't possible

Retail Management Intern Interview

DFW, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2014.

Interview Details 1. Phone Interview - General interview questions
2. In-Store interview - Due to a scheduling mixup, my group interview became a one-on-one interview. HR manager was great and very easy to talk to. Took about 10 days after my in person interview to receive an offer.

Interview Question – Selling an item on the sales floor.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - I was offered the store and department I was hoping for.

Very Easy Interview

Edison, NJ (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2014.

Interview Details I applied online April 1st and did a personality survey. There are right answers so take your time and choose what you know they want in a candidate. I have open availability, which is a must. They want someone who has flexible hours. So, four days a week isn't going to cut it.

On April 2nd, I got an email from HR about a phone interview and scheduled it for April 4th. I talked to a woman and she asked very basic questions, such as: Why do you want to work at Nordstrom? (Do your research!) and explain a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer. Be interested and sound upbeat. Also, state that you have no problem with working with commissions. The whole interview lasted 15 minutes tops. She said that she really enjoyed speaking with me and set up an in person interview for April 7th.

To my knowledge, it was supposed to be a group interview, but I was the only one there. I met with the assistant manager of women's swim and active wear. She was really nice and we had a good conversation. I applied for part-time, but there was only a full-time position available. I'm not in school so I had no problem with that. I made her laugh a few times and was really bubbly and engaging. She seemed drawn to me and there was no awkward silences. I'm a shy person by nature, but if you act shy, you won't get the job. They want a people person and someone who isn't afraid of going up to strangers. She asked about my availability and it is the MOST important question that will be asked. Once again, they need someone who is reliable and can work whenever.

She took me out to the sales floor and we did a role play. I came prepared for the role play from researching online so I wasn't caught off guard like most people. She told me that I did good and would give me a call because there was one more interview, I knew I got the job. The next day, the manager (who has the final say) called me an offered me the job. I had an interview with Sephora, but they never called so I I took the job.

Interview Question – Name a time when you exceeded a sales goal and how did that happen.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It's a set commission, so no negotiation.

Direct Marketing Intern At HQ Interview

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details I submitted my application online the day before the deadline in December. The last week of January I was contacted about phone interview. The phone interview only lasted about ten minutes and essentially asked me to reiterate my resume and confirm my availability. I was asked for an in-person interview several weeks later. In March I attended an in-person interview with three marketing managers who were each hiring multiple interns. They were all friendly and talkative, so I suggest to future applicants to be chatty and friendly. I felt that the interview went fairly well, but I know there were hundreds of applicants, so I can't be sure why they chose not to select me.

Interview Question – Tell us about your favorite Nordstrom Marketing Campaign.

How would you compile a research report on our mobile competitors? How would you condense that information into one powerpoint slide?
  Answer Question

Miami, FL (US)

Interview Details Applied online. You must do the personality survey, that's how they weed people out. About a week later received an email that they were interested in hiring me, and to set up a phone screen. When I got out of the shower that same day, I received a phone call from a woman in HR named Lacey but I missed the call. I called back and we chatted on the phone. She asked me very simple questions, why nordstrom, what position are you interested in (full time or part time) and invited me for an interview for the next day.
Came in 15 minutes early and waited about 30 minutes. Never got an interview with Lacey, she just came out and asked me if I was interested in working for dresses, and I said sure.
She took me to interview with the department manager for dresses, a woman named Jenny. She was very a animated and friendly person. She explained what she expects of her prospective employee throughout the interview. I think I did good and made an impression.
What I did questionably on was the role playing skit. Right now, I currently work at Macy's and they're more focused on the amount of credits opened in a week vs how to satisfy their customers. Before our skit, she walked me through the floor, unfortunately she rushed through the whole thing so I was only able to gather bits and pieces of most of what she was saying. Once the skit commenced, it was interrupted by a customer she had to cater to. Once she was finished, she had to rush through the rest of out skit.
Once finished, she told me a few points that I missed. She said she would call me in a couple of days and the regular ending to an interview.

Interview Question – Huge tip: during your skit, ask A LOT of questions. She said that was my biggest failures. She said if I had asked more questions, I would've found out that she needed two dresses as opposed to one. Also, ask for their name. She explained that customers and employees should be on a first name basis. Nordstrom values their customers and want to make them feel welcome. When you're nearing the end, always offer other products - shoes, accessories, bras, hosiery, etc.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details When i first applied, they didnt call me after two weeks, i was the one that called them. They had a phone interview with me that was about 10 minutes and it was basically asking me if i had any experience selling in a commission driven environment, and if i had every worked in retail before. The in office interview was basically asking be about life experiences and obstacles i faced working in a team environment.

Interview Question – How wold i sell a piece of clothing? there wasn't really a difficult question   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Nordstrom

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom interview questions and advice. All 892 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees and interview candidates.