Nordstrom

Updated 27 Jan 2015
1,192 Interview Reviews

2.5

Inventory Processor Interview

Interview was a very easy going,it was actually fun, you were able to be yourself. The questions where basic in regards of customer service and how much did i know in regards of inventory. I heard from them in about a week in a half with a job offer.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online through their website. Was e-mailed within a week inviting me for a group interview. Group interview was with about 10 other people. We got to speak with a few different department managers to see which area we wanted to work in and if we were qualified. Questions were basic-asking about previous selling experience, where you see yourself in 5 years, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time when you were part of a team and which part of the team were you?   Answer Question

I declined because I had another job offer

Retail Management Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online for the internship through Nordstrom's career section. Within a week of submitting the initial online application, they sent me an email for a video recording interview. However, the online video interview is not live, but rather a pre-set recording of a Nordstrom employee asking you basic interview questions. There's a timer that gives you about 30 seconds to think of a response to the question. The whole video recording interview only took about 15 minutes or so.

Although I do like how convenient it was to have the interview from home, it felt a bid odd because I wasn't able to read my interviewer's body language, and I had to maintain "eye contact" by looking at my laptop's webcam.

This post is only for the 1st interview I had for the company. I am currently waiting to hear back to see if I will receive a 2nd interview!

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about commission based sales? What do you think are some of the potential challenges?   Answer Question

Retail Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Nordstrom.

The phone interview was easy. They asked basic interview questions involving how you feel about working on commission and sales. After the phone interview you have an in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • During the in person interview the most difficult question they asked was to go to the rack in the room and pick out an item and then sell it to the person interviewing you.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. It is $10/hr when you are training. It is based off of commission when you are on the sales floor.

Service Desk Technician I Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Applied online. Heard from a recruiter about 3 months later. Took a 30 minute phone screen. Was asked to come in for an in person a week later. Hour long panel interview. 5 people.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really out of the blue or unusual. Questions are very standard and easy for anyone who's ever worked in any IT field.   Answer Question
    Was able to negotiate for a higher hourly wage. Took about 2 weeks of back and forth.

Sales Associate - Men Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Had a very informal but nice interview with Mens department Manager and got hired on the spot. But when I came to work the first day the manager wasn't there only his assistant was and he didn't know he hired a new person so my first day was very unwelcoming and uncomfortable.

Interview Questions
    Its commission so whatever department your in is the commission rate you get so you can't negotiate even if you have many years of selling under your belt.

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Applied online, got an email confirmation the next day asking to set up a phone interview. Ten minute phone interview the following day. Was asked about customer service experience, how I've dealt with a difficult situation, how I've dealt with a failure, how would I do in a competitive environment, why I wanted to work for Nordstrom and what locations I most wanted to work at. Was told I sounded like a great candidate and an in-person interview with a manager was set up for ten days later.
    Interview was with an assistant manager. It was very casual. We spoke in the offices. I outlined my experience with emphasis on customer service. We discussed which brands I thought I was a good fit for, how passionate I was about skin care. She brought me downstairs to meet the dept. manager. I again outlined my relevant work experience. He asked, "Why Nordstrom?" and wanted to know if I was competitive. He seemed to like my answers. The assistant manager then gave me her contact info and said she would be in touch soon. I got a call two hours later saying they wanted me to meet the vendor rep for the line they had in mind for me. In less than an hour I got a call from the rep. We set up a meeting for a few days later.
    Once again I outlined my relevant experience, she told me a bit about her brand, goals for this particular counter. She wanted me to visit a counter at another store to experience their service and call her back if I thought it was a good fit.
    I emailed her back to say I wanted to move forward with the brand. She said she would be in touch with Nordstrom. Three days later I got a call saying they didn't think my experience was adequate for the position.

Interview Questions
    • I wish I had prepped and thought of experiences to share before I was on the phone. I ran through numerous possible scenarios before my in-person interview so I wouldn't have to waste time trying to remember a specific event.   Answer Question

Personal Stylist Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom.

This is a position that is generally offered to a stores top salespeople in house. There is a one on one interview with the department manager, whom was possibly the original person to approach you about the available position.

Simple

Sales Person Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

It's been years since, so honestly I can't remember it all too well. I had a phone interview with HR, then they scheduled me a time to sit down in person. A woman from HR met me at the Nordstrom E-bar then proceeded to ask me a series of questions. It was a pretty standard interview, just remember to smile lots and really think about your responses. Don't ramble! Keep your answers short and concise. Afterwards, she asked me if I had time to meet with the dept. manager of the dept I was applying with. Of course I said yes, then I had my last face-to-face interview with the dept. manager. A few hours later I got a call from the dept. manager offering me a job on her sales team.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Nothing too crazy; I applied online and received a call to schedule a phone interview. After conducting the phone interview I received an email saying that I passed and they wanted to conduct an in-person interview. Very simple process, I went to the HR department and someone from the staff interviewed me in a tiny room. Can't remember the questions because it was so long ago but I basically got the job on the spot and they had me sign the papers and whatnot right then.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected. Just be prepared to answer questions about yourself and your experiences (challenges you've faced, instances of teamwork, etc.)   Answer Question
    Didn't negotiate much as I was a seasonal employee