Nordstrom Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 25, 2014
1,032 interviews

2.5

Nordstrom Ebar Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2013.

I was first contacted to do a phone interview, and then I had one in-person interview in the store. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes, and basic questions were asked to get a feel about my experience. I was called back later that same day to set up an in-person interview which was just a few days later. I met with the manager in the Ebar for a second interview. It was a little scary because we interviewed in the general seating area with people all around listening. Overall, it was an easy interview. He was interested in my background, and myself as a person. No difficult questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions were asked, but I found out that other employees were asked to "sell" a bag of coffee during the interview.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. He called me 10 minutes after I left with a job offer and starting pay, which I accepted.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

filled out online application. heard back a couple of days later for phone interview with HR. only had 2 questions, Why do you want to work at Nordstroms, and explain your most difficult customer. Had a sit down interview with department manager. basic questions, had to sell a piece of clothing to her.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL (US)

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Nordstrom.

There can be anywhere from one to three interviews depending on the urgency to fill the position. They look for candidates who can work well in a team but have independent personalities and individual sources for motivation. Candidates must be able to uphold a conversation with ease. Questions asked will revolve around past experience working on a team, competitive situations, and customer accommodations. Nordstrom prides itself on having great people who deliver great service. Dress to impress; this is a fashion company and you need to reflect the department you will be working in. That means before your interview check out the current staff and see what they're wearing or meet with the manager to see what he or she is wearing. In Men's departments, Shoe departments, and Lingerie you should be in business professional attire. There are trendy men's and women's departments that you can be dress business casual. That being said, you will be judged on your answers to the interview questions, not what you are wearing.

Interview Questions
    • This is a commission base position and candidates will be required to complete a selling drill. Different departments have their own take on the drill but be enthusiastic about what you're selling.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2014.

Applied online and got an email within 24 hours to schedule a phone interview. During the phone interview human resources asked why Nordstoms, tell me your experience, and questions about how I would do in a commission environment and what is my availability. The phone conversation was less than ten minutes and human resources asked for an in person interview.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Honolulu, HI (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI (US)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online and went to the store the next day to personally hand in another copy of my resume. I think this helped me a lot because I got to meet with the department manager face-to-face, which is always a leg up (not being just a piece of paper). The process took about a week in total. I was called in for an interview several days later; there was a basic question interview followed by a performance review. I was called in again the next day to talk to the store manager, which included more conversational questions.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you to come up with several outfits based on a customer profile they invent for you on the spot.   View Answer

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  The Woodlands, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2014.

Got an email for phone interview got offered to meet the department manager and a 3rd interview with the cosmetic company vendor regional manager strict dress code for the brand I'm working for and they love cleanliness at the counter and a great attitude always stay positive even if sales aren't going well fun energetic

Interview Questions
    • Why nordstrom ? Wanted to know if I had a angry customer what would I do   View Answer
    No negotiation just accept

Sales Associate Interview

Very basic retail interview system, asked about experiences and what I could bring to the store. Included many things about what would be expected of you and how you were going to be given the tools to achieve your goals.

Interview Questions
    • If you were a tree what kind of tree would you be and why?   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Phone Interview: very basic. I had one 2 years ago, applied with no experience pertaining to fashion and got a phone interview. They said they would contact me with further information if they were interested.

I recently had another phone interview two weeks ago, and at the end of the call they asked me to come in store for an interview. Which is tomorrow! Wish me luck ;)

Interview Questions
    • What was a difficult work situation, how did you resolve it.   View Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

It was a pretty standard retail interview-my interviewees were very friendly and accommodating. Sales is a plus, or any kind of retail experience. It's purely commission based, so if you're not a good salesperson, I would look elsewhere. I know that some departments are different, like cosmetics, but as far as kids clothing and basic women and men's, prepare to sell! They offered me the job within a week after my phone and in person interview. The interview itself lasted about 20-30 minutes. I was sad I couldn't work there, but it just wasn't for me. A lot my friends the entire company is a great one to work for, and they really care about their employees.

Interview Questions

Too hard to juggle two jobs without a set schedule.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2012.

The interviewing process was very detailed and thorough. They asked about teamwork, self-motivation and understanding retail math. The interviewer asked if I understood commissioned sales and whether or not I had ever been paid by commission. I was also asked to list competitors and describe how Nordstrom outshines its competitors.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!