Nordstrom

326 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details First you go through a telephone interview - pretty simple questions about your work experience and why you want to work at Nordstrom. Once you go through that, they will set up a group interview after which you meet with the manager or assistant manager. You have to do a sales pitch. It's pretty basic and simple.

Interview Question – I was asked to pitch a sale of a shoe brand I was unfamiliar with, to a man.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, you get commission.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2014.

Interview Details Just let them know that you thrive off of friendly competition, you love fashion and you've always wanted to work for and make nordstrom a career. They'll love you.

Interview Question – They're all typical questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Commission only

Durham, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in September 2013.

Interview Details Applied online and got a phone call to set up an in person interview. Met with HR to interview. Met with department manager same day. Received a phone call later on from department manager for a job offer and accepted. Started new hire orientation immediately.

Interview Question – All Questions were based on retail experience. None of the questions were unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation, it is all commission unless you don't make your draw, then you receive minimum wage.

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details It was a phone interview followed by an interview with HR and then the department Manager. The questions are geared towards customer service and selling. You must be very available if you want to work full time.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to deal with an unpleasant customer? And how did you satisfy the customers needs?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Nordstrom

Interview Details Applied online. Long questionnaire. One-on-one interview a week later with HR person. Then one week training with 2 other new hires. I got Women's Shoes with best commission in the store- 10%. Probably hardest job in the store though with all of the running around for indecisive women.

Interview Question – What makes you want to leave your current job for this one?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2010.

Interview Details I applied online for a retail position, but in no particular department. I received an e-mail within a few days to set up a phone interview within the week. The phone interview was with that stores HR Manager and about 15 minutes long consisting of generic retail questions - What is good customer service?, Why Nordstrom?, What do you like about retail? At the end of the call we set up a time to interview in person. I interviewed with the HR Manager at the Nordstrom I applied to. Very relaxed interview. a lot of the same type of questions: Best/Worst customer service experience? Do you follow fashion? What is your best/worst quality., Expand on your previous experience. At the end of that interview the HR Manager excused herself to see if the department manager was available (I was still not told at this time what department), she was not so we scheduled a second interview. At the second interview I met with the department manager, a lot of the same type of questions/getting to know you, and also a few regarding specifics to her department. I had previous experience with fitting suits, and outerwear so I was placed in Studio/Narrative and Coats (in season), though I did not apply for this specifically. During the interview the department manager did a role play exercise involving me trying to help/sell her a specific blouse. I honestly did terribly, but told her that I was a quick learn and would take and apply any sales advice. I left the interview not feeling exceptionally confident, but the department manager called me within several days offering me the position.

Interview Question – Role playing exercise trying to sell specific products.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. They offered me a high (for retail) base starting hourly salary because of my experience, and was told that it was expected that I would eventually be making more per hour with commission.

If your commission for the day figures out to be higher per hour than your base salary that will be your hourly salary for that day, if it lower then they use your base hourly salary - so you will never earn lower than your base salary per hour.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details The process begins with an online application, if approved there is a phone interview and possible a second phone interview, the next step after this is an in person meeting with a Human Resources Manager, and finally an interview with the Department Manager of whom you are applying for.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult customer issue you have had and how did you handle this?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details Applied online - uploaded my resume, references, and other stuff. I got an email back the next day or two telling me to set up a phone interview online. I scheduled it, and waited for the day I'd get the call. On the day of the scheduled phone interview, the manager? interviewer? called about two hours late, so just make sure you're open two hours before and after your original time slot. The questions were pretty simple - Why Nordstrom? Give an example of good customer service? - and after that, the interviewer forwarded my information to the manager of the department I was applying to. She then set up a face to face interview, which was also pretty casual. It was one-on-one, and short (15 minutes max).

Interview Question – Selling scenario - pick an outfit for a specific occasion and sell it to the department manager. Because it was so spontaneous, it was somewhat difficult, but just stay calm and it should be good.   Answer Question

Austin, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2013.

Interview Details Very laid back, easy going and friendly. Arrived to Customer Experience and waited to be escorted to the back of Nordstrom. The manager arrived not long afterwards and led me back to a small room with a table and two chairs and we sat down and she asked me various questions about my experience.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you helped a disgruntled customer, how did you turn it around?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was very relaxed and easy.

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2014.

Interview Details Created account on the website and then applied online for a position. Got an email the next day asking me to chose a phone interview time. I scheduled the next open slot which was about a week later. I scheduled it for 4pm but they only called around 4:45, keep a two hour slot open for your phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 10-15 minutes. They asked about 5-7 questions but nothing hard. Then the lady told me she would like to schedule a in store interview with a manager and asked me what department I was interested in. The in store interview was scheduled for about 4 days later and there was a group of us waiting. Then one by one we each were taking to a different area by the manager or assistant manager of the department we wanted to work in. Then the interview lasted about a half hour.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Nordstorms?   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to work in whatever particular department you applied for?   Answer Question
  • What was a time when you experienced really high expectations and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!