Norfolk Southern

Average Difficulty
89 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Conductor

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in July 2014.

Interview Details Applied for a conductor position out of Columbus, ohio. Got an email a day later saying I had been invited to a hiring session. Out of the 30 people they invited, 26 or so showed up. We took a 75 question test that involved reading, math, mechanical, and factual questions. Out of the 26 that came, 15 of us moved on to the actual interviewing process. The interview lasted no more than 15 minutes. They asked me question that they had asked previously on the application that I had filled out online. They also asked a couple questions about myself. They like people with outdoor work experience. It was an overall simple interview. The people who interviewed me were the train master and the hr lady.

Interview Questions

• Can you be at work within an hour and thirty minutes?   View Answer
  • Have you ever worked around big machinery or equipment?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Don't act cocky or overly self-confident. Just relax, talk, and be yourself. The train master may not seem interested, but they really are listening. Try and crack a joke to make them laugh and remember you.

Very Easy Interview

Management Trainee

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2013.

Interview Details Phone interview was followed by an aptitude test. I must say it was the hardesr test I've taken. Not really sure what the point of it was, as the questions had no relevance to the company or job I had applied for. Company flew me down to Atlanta for the final interview where I had to seperate interview. The first was with HR and my department supervisor. The second was with HR and a senior member of another department.

Interview Question – Interview was a breeze. They asked questions about my resume and my experience with conflict with other employees/co-workers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Set salary range for my department but I got offered more for my technical degree.

Conductor

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details Applied online, got an email saying i was invited to attend a job briefing, took a test that covered math, mechanical, reading, and personality (pretty basic stuff, most finished early.) Out of the 22 people who showed up, they posted a list afterwards of who they selected to interview, I think they hired 4 out of the 12 interviewed. Now i have my background check and medical check. I think the only reason why I got called for an interview is because my current job involves being very cautious, following the rules, and being safe. If you don't have any experience that you can easily relate to the life of a conductor...goodluck...

Interview Question – A lot of "what if" situational questions. Give specific examples of how you are safe in your current workplace, how would you deal with this conflict.. what would your boss say about you..   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – union

Marketing Management Trainee Interview

Marketing Management Trainee

Interviewed at Norfolk Southern

Interview Details The interviewing process for NS is lengthy but thorough. The fist step is a phone interview in which basic questions are asked such as previous work experience and the challenges you occurred, how you handled them, how the skills learned can be transferred to the position at NS. The phone interview lasts about 30-45 minutes normally. I was asked for an interview in person in Norfolk about a week and a half later. They flew me down to Norfolk where we had a meet-and-greet dinner the night before the day of the interviews. During this dinner we chatted with other applicants - about 30-40 there for the 10 positions available - and were able to talk with our interviewers. The next day we had 3 interviews, lasting 1/2 hour each I believe. The first interview was with 3 people, second was with 5 people and 3rd with 4 people. They asked basic interview questions that if properly prepared for, are not all too challenging. I had a great experience with all of my interviewers and felt comfortable enough to be candid on a professional level.

Interview Question – A client wants to transport material X from location A to location B, what questions would you ask the client to properly price the shipment. This one threw me for a bit of a loop because it was a total direction change in the interview. All the questions previously had been about myself so this one caught me slightly off guard.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Great company with even better benefits, but as a recent college grad I wanted to travel for a year first before settling into my career.

Interviewed at Norfolk Southern

Interview Details I submitted my resume at a college career fair and was contacted to weeks later to attend an information session. At the session, HR reps gave detailed information about the jobs they were looking to fill and administered a personality test and some sort of logic/common sense test. Lunch was provided, then each attendee was assigned a time for a one on one interview with an HR rep. Mine went great! I was contacted again by HR 2 weeks later and invited to an overnight session for a second round of interviews. NS paid for travel and hotel stay. Night one was a general Q and A and dinner with HR. The following morning were the 2nd and 3rd interviews. I was contacted two weeks later and offered a position.

Interview Question – What makes you a leader?   View Answer

Conductor

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details Attended hiring session. The morning consisted of an overview of the job to include benefits and pay. Took a test and then was selected for an interview. Basic panel style interview with hiring manager, HR representative, and training coordinator.

Interview Question – No railroad specific questions just basic interview questions.   Answer Question

Transportation Management Trainee Interview

Transportation Management Trainee

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details Phone Interview: interviewed with recruiter, basic questions such as are you open to relocation, how do you feel working all shifts?,
Face to face interview in Atlanta Georgia: 2 panel interviews with district supervisors, tell me about a time when you had to tell someone that they were doing something incorrect?

Interview Question – Are you willing to relocate anywhere?   View Answer

Norfolk, VA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in February 2013.

Interview Details The hiring process was a huge waste of time. You meet with 10-14 people in one day, and it was clear early on that they had already made a decision (i.e. did not want to hire another attorney). The labor relations group that I was interviewing with did not seem to have much input on the pool of candidates, which meant that candidates like me (attorneys) were not weeded out earlier.

Interview Question – What do you know about the railroad?   View Answer

Operations Research Co-op Interview

Operations Research Co-op

Interviewed at Norfolk Southern

Interview Details One basic technical interview, One advanced technical interview, One exam

Interview Question – The advanced technical interview is too hard, you should prepared well for Java, C++ and SQL   Answer Question

Commercial Real Estate Intern Interview

Commercial Real Estate Intern
Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2013.

Interview Details The first step in the interview process is a phone interview where they ask general questions about classes, strength of extracurricular activities, work experiences and general skills. The second round is a small group interview, mine was two managers in commercial real estate and one human resources professional. There are no technical questions, mostly theory based.

Interview Question – How experienced are you with negotiating leases? If I put you on the phone with a corporate executive right now, how prepared are you to give him the hard line?   Answer Question

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!