Northern Trust

155 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

PWC Corporate Tax Compliance Senior Associate Interview

Belfast, Northern Ireland

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in March 2014.

Interview Details Applied through PWC web portal - was invited to interview with 2 managers. The interview lasted approx 2.5 hours and consisted of a case study - provided with set of accounts and some additional info and asked to write down all my thoughts with regards to corporation tax and any additional info required.

Interview Question – All questions were competency based and around the key core values of PWC. Tell me about a time when .......leadership,difficult situation, morals, teamwork etc etc   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was below my expected salary

Human Resources Interview

London, England

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details It was a long and tiring interview. There were 3 people on the interview panel and it was 30 minutes with each person separately. Each interviewer pretty much started bombarding me with questions, and most of the questions were the same! So I had to answer the same questions several times! For instance, I had to go through my CV three times.

They didn't do a good job explaining the role. The level of trust was low, after each answer I could see the interviewer's facial expression, as if I was making up the answers or lying!!
Sometimes I felt that their mind was somewhere else, as they repeated the same question multiple times!!

Instead of setting an appropriate and relaxed tone for the interview, so I could be comfortable in order to be able to present myself, they just put pressure on me and it consequently had a negative effect on my performance (particularly one of the interviewers did it a lot, the two others were more professional and friendly).

All in all, not a good representation of Northern Trust, the recruiters/HR should know that the experience of candidates (both successful & unsuccessful) at each stage of the recruitment process is likely impact on their image of the organisation.

I was not successful but after seeing those people I am glad that I did not get the job!

HR is the company's face and they are the first people from the company that candidates meet and therefore their conduct at the interview is very important for the company's image (At least a smile would have been helpful!).

Interview Question – Open-ended questions:
1- How did you deal with an arrogant manager in your previous job?
2-What was the toughest challenge you’ve ever faced?
3 - Describe your ideal company, job and department
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Finance Interview

Chorley, England

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Northern Trust in February 2012.

Interview Details A Lovely company, people very friendly, interviewee gave a detailed account of what the company stood for. Also explained the job in detail, the amount of staff on each team, the importance of the role and a few problem areas that would needed to be kept on top off. She explained everything in great detail, leaving me no questions that I needed to ask. So hence, one stupid mistake I think I made was asking if they closed over the Xmas period, just so that I had a question to ask!!!

Interview Question – Can you use excel   View Answer

GOLD Program Interview

GOLD Program
London, England

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in April 2011.

Interview Details I applied for the Northern Trust Gold Program in early March and got a response from the recruitment team on the 28th of March. As i had no internet in my house for a week I did not realise the company had sent me an email to be interviewed in that same week. However HR was sympathetic and allowed me to reschedule.
After several attempts to book a time slot to match the HR schedule and my own (I currently work at another bank) we finally agreed for 12:30pm on a Monday. Initially i was told the interview would last 20 mins, but in the last email I exchanged she said it would be 10mins instead!

I prepared myself prior the interview pretty well! Since I was at work I had to find a quiet and discrete location for the phone interview to take place. Nonetheless, all of this was in vain as the HR recruiter called me 20 mins prior the established time (its not like she did not know I was working), so I found that quite disrespectful.
As soon as I picked up the phone she went right at it, which meant i had to run out of the office! The only thing is, where I work there is poor network connection, so she had to repeat questions tonnes of times....and we actually lost connection at one point!

I was dissapointed not so much by the fact that we lost connection but by the fact that I told her as soon as I picked up that I was at the office and she was early. Again i didnt event get a reply...she just went straight to the questions.

Is this the way you seek for talented individuals? To be honest I think she was having a bad day and wanted to go for lunch earlier...since from the second we started speaking she seemed like she wanted to hangup.
All in all not a good representation of Northern Trust, Im sure (hope) she doesnt represent the rest of the employees.

Questions asked:
1. Tell me a bit about yourself
2. What is your biggest passion
3. What do you know about the organisation (i.e. explain what they do)
4. What was your biggest achievement
5. What part of your role do you think would be most dyre?

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest passion?   View Answer
  • What do you think Will be the most dyre part of your role?   View Answer

GOLD Program Interview

London, England

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in April 2011.

Interview Details Phone interview: Called at the right time, no problems, interviewer was friendly and asked competency based questions.

Biggest achievements? Working out a problem as part of a team? Someone who screwed up the team and how you got around it? Why do you want to join Northern Trust? Tell me about yourself?

Passed that and was invited to numerical and verbal reasoning test (Talent Q).

Numerical test: definitely the most difficult out of the ones I'd done already, wasn't in the right frame of mind for it so I screwed it up, would recommend really reading all the information given, you're not given any help with the answers like the other multiple choice tests (you're given about a 20 options here).

Verbal Reasoning: same old same old, read the information and make conclusions from there.

Interview Question – Why do you think you'd be good for us?   View Answer

Drone Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details Minimal compared to other places.
No hard questions.
Mostly can you get along

Interview Question – never had a difficult or unexpected question the who time ive been there   View Answer

Technology Internship Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in February 2013.

Interview Details Had applied online, submitted all documents and contact the HR recruiter directly. The first recruiter was very respectful and kind, leading me to the one which was in charge of the specific position.

After holding a general interview with an HR rep who was clearly contracted and new to the NT team, I received many personality, management and experience questions.

HR rep set up an interview with the head of the department for this position, who canceled an appointment, and rescheduled. From the beginning of the interview, this upper manager (VP) made it clear that someone dropped my resume on his desk, and he had not even skimmed it. I walked him through, answered his generic questions, and I tried to keep the conversation interesting as he monotonously lead.

It is understandable that the manager was busy, but holding the interview for a moment to speak with a colleague was unprofessional and rude, along with his inattentiveness.

The questions were generic, nothing technical as I had expected, but the VP was kind enough to elaborate specifics about the company that only an insider could reveal. It sounds like improvements are being made in the IS/IT departments, even though reviews say the corporation is resistant to change.

I'm sure my interviewer would have been a kind, engaged, charismatic person if I had met them face-to-face, but I am not sure if I would have accepted the position if offered on the next call.

Pay is also standardized, not based on experience for internships.

Interview Question – What are some courses that you've taken in regards to this position? How do you deal with a coworker which does not follow direction?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details It was over 7 years ago, so don't remember much

Very Easy Interview

Second Vice President Interview

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details Interview was easy right out of college. They were looking for naive pickings

Interview Question – Why NTRS   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Back in 2007, 40K was the standard right out of school with a BS.

Account Associate Interview

Naples, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details Contacted by HR representative and spoke with them for about 30 minutes. The HR rep asked general behavioral questions and also asked about my resume, experience, and previous jobs. I was then contacted two days later to schedule an face to face interview with two managers the next week. The 2:1 interview with the two managers was not very difficult as I was asked only behavioral type questions, nothing technical. One of the managers was extremely rude and arrogant, purposely trying to make me uncomfortable, however the other interviewer was very pleasant. Not sure if they were trying to play good cop bad cop to see how I reacted, but it was completely unwarranted to be as rude as the one manager was. The two managers grilled me on my resume, schooling, and past work experience. Given that most of my work experience was unrelated to the position I thought it was a little excessive to go into such great detail about my summer landscaping jobs in early undergraduate school, but they kept asking unnecessary and unrelated questions for the job I was applying to. Overall, the interview was relatively easy, but I did not get a good feeling about working at that office as the one manager was just so unpleasant and rude. I would not have wanted to work with him if I got the job offer and I got the feeling that the other manager who does work with him did not like him much either because of his arrogance. It has been 3 weeks and I have not heard a word from the company, even after sending follow up emails and thank you emails to the HR rep and both managers. I am pretty sure I will never hear from anyone in the company about not getting the job, which is inexplicably rude to not even send an email, let alone a phone call, to inform candidates of their status or that the company has decided to move on with other candidates.

Interview Question – No difficult or technical questions, asked only basic behavioral questions.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Have you ever had conflicts with co-workers?
Have you ever had a conflict with a customer?
Tell me about yourself?
What do you know about Northern Trust?
  Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northern Trust

Worked for Northern Trust? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northern Trust interview questions and advice. All 155 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Northern Trust employees and interview candidates.