Northern Trust

Updated 11 Jan 2015

2.8

Client Reporting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northern Trust.

Really easy interview as it was for temp position. They only had few technical questions but mainly they where focusing on my personality. So the interview was one of the most pleasant this far.

Interview Questions
    • Do you understand what happens if company decides to split their stock.   Answer Question

PWC Corporate Tax Compliance Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust in March 2014.

Applied through PWC web portal - was invited to interview with 2 managers. The interview lasted approx 2.5 hours and consisted of a case study - provided with set of accounts and some additional info and asked to write down all my thoughts with regards to corporation tax and any additional info required.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were competency based and around the key core values of PWC. Tell me about a time when .......leadership,difficult situation, morals, teamwork etc etc   Answer Question

Offer was below my expected salary

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

It was a long and tiring interview. There were 3 people on the interview panel and it was 30 minutes with each person separately. Each interviewer pretty much started bombarding me with questions, and most of the questions were the same! So I had to answer the same questions several times! For instance, I had to go through my CV three times.

They didn't do a good job explaining the role. The level of trust was low, after each answer I could see the interviewer's facial expression, as if I was making up the answers or lying!!
    Sometimes I felt that their mind was somewhere else, as they repeated the same question multiple times!!

Instead of setting an appropriate and relaxed tone for the interview, so I could be comfortable in order to be able to present myself, they just put pressure on me and it consequently had a negative effect on my performance (particularly one of the interviewers did it a lot, the two others were more professional and friendly).

All in all, not a good representation of Northern Trust, the recruiters/HR should know that the experience of candidates (both successful & unsuccessful) at each stage of the recruitment process is likely impact on their image of the organisation.

I was not successful but after seeing those people I am glad that I did not get the job!

HR is the company's face and they are the first people from the company that candidates meet and therefore their conduct at the interview is very important for the company's image (At least a smile would have been helpful!).

Interview Questions
    • Open-ended questions:
      1- How did you deal with an arrogant manager in your previous job?
      2-What was the toughest challenge you’ve ever faced?
      3 - Describe your ideal company, job and department

Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chorley, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chorley, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Northern Trust in February 2012.

A Lovely company, people very friendly, interviewee gave a detailed account of what the company stood for. Also explained the job in detail, the amount of staff on each team, the importance of the role and a few problem areas that would needed to be kept on top off. She explained everything in great detail, leaving me no questions that I needed to ask. So hence, one stupid mistake I think I made was asking if they closed over the Xmas period, just so that I had a question to ask!!!

GOLD Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust in April 2011.

I applied for the Northern Trust Gold Program in early March and got a response from the recruitment team on the 28th of March. As i had no internet in my house for a week I did not realise the company had sent me an email to be interviewed in that same week. However HR was sympathetic and allowed me to reschedule.
    After several attempts to book a time slot to match the HR schedule and my own (I currently work at another bank) we finally agreed for 12:30pm on a Monday. Initially i was told the interview would last 20 mins, but in the last email I exchanged she said it would be 10mins instead!

I prepared myself prior the interview pretty well! Since I was at work I had to find a quiet and discrete location for the phone interview to take place. Nonetheless, all of this was in vain as the HR recruiter called me 20 mins prior the established time (its not like she did not know I was working), so I found that quite disrespectful.
    As soon as I picked up the phone she went right at it, which meant i had to run out of the office! The only thing is, where I work there is poor network connection, so she had to repeat questions tonnes of times....and we actually lost connection at one point!

I was dissapointed not so much by the fact that we lost connection but by the fact that I told her as soon as I picked up that I was at the office and she was early. Again i didnt event get a reply...she just went straight to the questions.

Is this the way you seek for talented individuals? To be honest I think she was having a bad day and wanted to go for lunch earlier...since from the second we started speaking she seemed like she wanted to hangup.
    All in all not a good representation of Northern Trust, Im sure (hope) she doesnt represent the rest of the employees.

Questions asked:
    1. Tell me a bit about yourself
    2. What is your biggest passion
    3. What do you know about the organisation (i.e. explain what they do)
    4. What was your biggest achievement
    5. What part of your role do you think would be most dyre?

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest passion?   View Answer
    • What do you think Will be the most dyre part of your role?   View Answer

GOLD Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust in April 2011.

Phone interview: Called at the right time, no problems, interviewer was friendly and asked competency based questions.

Biggest achievements? Working out a problem as part of a team? Someone who screwed up the team and how you got around it? Why do you want to join Northern Trust? Tell me about yourself?

Passed that and was invited to numerical and verbal reasoning test (Talent Q).

Numerical test: definitely the most difficult out of the ones I'd done already, wasn't in the right frame of mind for it so I screwed it up, would recommend really reading all the information given, you're not given any help with the answers like the other multiple choice tests (you're given about a 20 options here).

Verbal Reasoning: same old same old, read the information and make conclusions from there.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you'd be good for us?   View Answer

Investment Support Services Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

the interview process is pretty straight forward. However the hr response time is some what slot. if you are lucky enough to get an offer they don't budge in terms of negotiations. In terms of advice on how to interview it is pretty standard just be sure to use alot of the key words from the requirement sections of the search criteria

Interview Questions
    no room for negotiations. flat rate offer

Senior Consultant - Credit Risk Modeling Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northern Trust.

There were 1 screening phone interview with HR, 1 phone interview with a team member (not the hiring manager) and 1 on-site interview with 6 people. All that happened within 1 week.

Interview Questions
    • When the data do not have enough number of defaults, how would you build a default model?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

The interview process was pretty standard. First, I was contacted via phone for a 15-minute pre-screening interview. The recruiter was direct and courteous. Then a second interview (in-person) was scheduled. On the day of the interview, I met with the recruiter prior to meeting with the manager in charge. The manager was nice and very knowledgeable. Overall, the process was smooth and easy. The manager explained about the position and the duties of the position, as it was not clear in the job post. I was asked some behavioral questions and technical skills (nothing complex).

Interview Questions
    • How knowledgeable are you in Excel? Have you used VBA, Macros, etc?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Northern Trust in January 2015.

Applied through personal contact and through campus recruiting. Attended a pre-night session then had an on campus interview the next day with a woman from HR. After a few months I had a phone interview with the person I will now be working for. No technical questions, they just wanted to make sure I had an interest in finance and northern.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to use your communication skills to explain a complex topic.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. $17/hour