Northern Trust

Relevance Date Difficulty

Client Reporting Analyst Interview

Client Reporting Analyst
London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details Really easy interview as it was for temp position. They only had few technical questions but mainly they where focusing on my personality. So the interview was one of the most pleasant this far.

Interview Question – Do you understand what happens if company decides to split their stock.   Answer Question

PWC Corporate Tax Compliance Senior Associate Interview

PWC Corporate Tax Compliance Senior Associate
Belfast, Northern Ireland

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in March 2014.

Interview Details Applied through PWC web portal - was invited to interview with 2 managers. The interview lasted approx 2.5 hours and consisted of a case study - provided with set of accounts and some additional info and asked to write down all my thoughts with regards to corporation tax and any additional info required.

Interview Question – All questions were competency based and around the key core values of PWC. Tell me about a time when .......leadership,difficult situation, morals, teamwork etc etc   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was below my expected salary

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
London, England

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details It was a long and tiring interview. There were 3 people on the interview panel and it was 30 minutes with each person separately. Each interviewer pretty much started bombarding me with questions, and most of the questions were the same! So I had to answer the same questions several times! For instance, I had to go through my CV three times.

They didn't do a good job explaining the role. The level of trust was low, after each answer I could see the interviewer's facial expression, as if I was making up the answers or lying!!
Sometimes I felt that their mind was somewhere else, as they repeated the same question multiple times!!

Instead of setting an appropriate and relaxed tone for the interview, so I could be comfortable in order to be able to present myself, they just put pressure on me and it consequently had a negative effect on my performance (particularly one of the interviewers did it a lot, the two others were more professional and friendly).

All in all, not a good representation of Northern Trust, the recruiters/HR should know that the experience of candidates (both successful & unsuccessful) at each stage of the recruitment process is likely impact on their image of the organisation.

I was not successful but after seeing those people I am glad that I did not get the job!

HR is the company's face and they are the first people from the company that candidates meet and therefore their conduct at the interview is very important for the company's image (At least a smile would have been helpful!).

Interview Question – Open-ended questions:
1- How did you deal with an arrogant manager in your previous job?
2-What was the toughest challenge you’ve ever faced?
3 - Describe your ideal company, job and department
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Finance Interview

Finance
Chorley, England

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Northern Trust in February 2012.

Interview Details A Lovely company, people very friendly, interviewee gave a detailed account of what the company stood for. Also explained the job in detail, the amount of staff on each team, the importance of the role and a few problem areas that would needed to be kept on top off. She explained everything in great detail, leaving me no questions that I needed to ask. So hence, one stupid mistake I think I made was asking if they closed over the Xmas period, just so that I had a question to ask!!!

Interview Question – Can you use excel   View Answer

GOLD Program Interview

GOLD Program
London, England

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in April 2011.

Interview Details I applied for the Northern Trust Gold Program in early March and got a response from the recruitment team on the 28th of March. As i had no internet in my house for a week I did not realise the company had sent me an email to be interviewed in that same week. However HR was sympathetic and allowed me to reschedule.
After several attempts to book a time slot to match the HR schedule and my own (I currently work at another bank) we finally agreed for 12:30pm on a Monday. Initially i was told the interview would last 20 mins, but in the last email I exchanged she said it would be 10mins instead!

I prepared myself prior the interview pretty well! Since I was at work I had to find a quiet and discrete location for the phone interview to take place. Nonetheless, all of this was in vain as the HR recruiter called me 20 mins prior the established time (its not like she did not know I was working), so I found that quite disrespectful.
As soon as I picked up the phone she went right at it, which meant i had to run out of the office! The only thing is, where I work there is poor network connection, so she had to repeat questions tonnes of times....and we actually lost connection at one point!

I was dissapointed not so much by the fact that we lost connection but by the fact that I told her as soon as I picked up that I was at the office and she was early. Again i didnt event get a reply...she just went straight to the questions.

Is this the way you seek for talented individuals? To be honest I think she was having a bad day and wanted to go for lunch earlier...since from the second we started speaking she seemed like she wanted to hangup.
All in all not a good representation of Northern Trust, Im sure (hope) she doesnt represent the rest of the employees.

Questions asked:
1. Tell me a bit about yourself
2. What is your biggest passion
3. What do you know about the organisation (i.e. explain what they do)
4. What was your biggest achievement
5. What part of your role do you think would be most dyre?

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest passion?   View Answer
  • What do you think Will be the most dyre part of your role?   View Answer

GOLD Program Interview

GOLD Program
London, England

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in April 2011.

Interview Details Phone interview: Called at the right time, no problems, interviewer was friendly and asked competency based questions.

Biggest achievements? Working out a problem as part of a team? Someone who screwed up the team and how you got around it? Why do you want to join Northern Trust? Tell me about yourself?

Passed that and was invited to numerical and verbal reasoning test (Talent Q).

Numerical test: definitely the most difficult out of the ones I'd done already, wasn't in the right frame of mind for it so I screwed it up, would recommend really reading all the information given, you're not given any help with the answers like the other multiple choice tests (you're given about a 20 options here).

Verbal Reasoning: same old same old, read the information and make conclusions from there.

Interview Question – Why do you think you'd be good for us?   View Answer

Fund Analyst Interview

Fund Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details went through a refferal. it has taken the whole day but with the result. there were 5 rounds of interview process. it includes one GD round, one written aptitude test, two technical rounds and one HR round.

Interview Question – nothing as such unexpected   Answer Question

US Securities Transaction Analyst Interview

US Securities Transaction Analyst
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Northern Trust in June 2014.

Interview Details Brief phone interview about salary expectations and schedule F2F interview. 2nd Interview with 2 team leaders. Standard interview, behavioral questions, nothing too difficult. Why you want to work for Northern Trust, why are you moving from your current job? Etc.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Fund Analyst Interview

Fund Analyst
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northern Trust in March 2013.

Interview Details This was an off-cycle hiring, they started a new team and needed somebody on board immediately. First phone interview involved standard questions: Salary expectations and work type expectations. Second interview involved speaking with two senior members of the team. Very behavioral-based. The company is very courteous and fit-oriented.

Interview Question – Nothing technical, mostly behavioral and very standard.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Makati City (Philippines)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in April 2014.

Interview Details There would be 2 interviews, 2 exams, and a simple activity.
1. Initial Interview - common interview questions are asked. Like stuffs about yourself, things you know about the company and the position you're applying for so you'd better be ready with your research here.
2. Group Activity - I was asked to pic a topic and write an essay about it. Then we read it out loud one by one.
3. Aptitude and Excel Exams - I accomplished this in a day. The aptitude test is easy but tricky and is time pressured, while the excel exam just comprises of some basic commands you can do on a spreadsheet.
4. Final Interview - This one is a bit challenging because you'll be interviewed by managers or heads about the technical stuffs that you know. They asked me to define around 20 finance and accounting terms.

Interview Question – What are the types of derivatives.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at all. It's like take it or leave it. But for fresh grads, their offer is tempting since the salary is really high compared to other companies that hire fresh graduates.

Worked for Northern Trust? Contribute to the Community!