Northern Trust

Updated 8 Dec 2014

2.8

Client Reporting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northern Trust.

Really easy interview as it was for temp position. They only had few technical questions but mainly they where focusing on my personality. So the interview was one of the most pleasant this far.

Interview Questions
    • Do you understand what happens if company decides to split their stock.   Answer Question

PWC Corporate Tax Compliance Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust in March 2014.

Applied through PWC web portal - was invited to interview with 2 managers. The interview lasted approx 2.5 hours and consisted of a case study - provided with set of accounts and some additional info and asked to write down all my thoughts with regards to corporation tax and any additional info required.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were competency based and around the key core values of PWC. Tell me about a time when .......leadership,difficult situation, morals, teamwork etc etc   Answer Question

Offer was below my expected salary

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

It was a long and tiring interview. There were 3 people on the interview panel and it was 30 minutes with each person separately. Each interviewer pretty much started bombarding me with questions, and most of the questions were the same! So I had to answer the same questions several times! For instance, I had to go through my CV three times.

They didn't do a good job explaining the role. The level of trust was low, after each answer I could see the interviewer's facial expression, as if I was making up the answers or lying!!
    Sometimes I felt that their mind was somewhere else, as they repeated the same question multiple times!!

Instead of setting an appropriate and relaxed tone for the interview, so I could be comfortable in order to be able to present myself, they just put pressure on me and it consequently had a negative effect on my performance (particularly one of the interviewers did it a lot, the two others were more professional and friendly).

All in all, not a good representation of Northern Trust, the recruiters/HR should know that the experience of candidates (both successful & unsuccessful) at each stage of the recruitment process is likely impact on their image of the organisation.

I was not successful but after seeing those people I am glad that I did not get the job!

HR is the company's face and they are the first people from the company that candidates meet and therefore their conduct at the interview is very important for the company's image (At least a smile would have been helpful!).

Interview Questions
    • Open-ended questions:
      1- How did you deal with an arrogant manager in your previous job?
      2-What was the toughest challenge you’ve ever faced?
      3 - Describe your ideal company, job and department

Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chorley, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chorley, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Northern Trust in February 2012.

A Lovely company, people very friendly, interviewee gave a detailed account of what the company stood for. Also explained the job in detail, the amount of staff on each team, the importance of the role and a few problem areas that would needed to be kept on top off. She explained everything in great detail, leaving me no questions that I needed to ask. So hence, one stupid mistake I think I made was asking if they closed over the Xmas period, just so that I had a question to ask!!!

GOLD Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust in April 2011.

I applied for the Northern Trust Gold Program in early March and got a response from the recruitment team on the 28th of March. As i had no internet in my house for a week I did not realise the company had sent me an email to be interviewed in that same week. However HR was sympathetic and allowed me to reschedule.
    After several attempts to book a time slot to match the HR schedule and my own (I currently work at another bank) we finally agreed for 12:30pm on a Monday. Initially i was told the interview would last 20 mins, but in the last email I exchanged she said it would be 10mins instead!

I prepared myself prior the interview pretty well! Since I was at work I had to find a quiet and discrete location for the phone interview to take place. Nonetheless, all of this was in vain as the HR recruiter called me 20 mins prior the established time (its not like she did not know I was working), so I found that quite disrespectful.
    As soon as I picked up the phone she went right at it, which meant i had to run out of the office! The only thing is, where I work there is poor network connection, so she had to repeat questions tonnes of times....and we actually lost connection at one point!

I was dissapointed not so much by the fact that we lost connection but by the fact that I told her as soon as I picked up that I was at the office and she was early. Again i didnt event get a reply...she just went straight to the questions.

Is this the way you seek for talented individuals? To be honest I think she was having a bad day and wanted to go for lunch earlier...since from the second we started speaking she seemed like she wanted to hangup.
    All in all not a good representation of Northern Trust, Im sure (hope) she doesnt represent the rest of the employees.

Questions asked:
    1. Tell me a bit about yourself
    2. What is your biggest passion
    3. What do you know about the organisation (i.e. explain what they do)
    4. What was your biggest achievement
    5. What part of your role do you think would be most dyre?

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest passion?   View Answer
    • What do you think Will be the most dyre part of your role?   View Answer

GOLD Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust in April 2011.

Phone interview: Called at the right time, no problems, interviewer was friendly and asked competency based questions.

Biggest achievements? Working out a problem as part of a team? Someone who screwed up the team and how you got around it? Why do you want to join Northern Trust? Tell me about yourself?

Passed that and was invited to numerical and verbal reasoning test (Talent Q).

Numerical test: definitely the most difficult out of the ones I'd done already, wasn't in the right frame of mind for it so I screwed it up, would recommend really reading all the information given, you're not given any help with the answers like the other multiple choice tests (you're given about a 20 options here).

Verbal Reasoning: same old same old, read the information and make conclusions from there.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you'd be good for us?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Phone Interview - fairly standard behavioural questions, nothing too unexpected. It was an easy process, as the HR lady was extremely helpful and told me what to prepare before the interview. process took less than a month.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time in which you had to use your communication skills in order to solve a difficult problem?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

1st round gd of my own topic..i spoke about FDI..all u need to show here is not much confidence.. Say in a simple way and even u do mistakes not a issue..
    2. Aptitude.. 60 ques n 60 min..all normall only..(maths.logical reasoning,grammar,passage writing.)
    3.Manager round..25 min..cleared n they said u r selected on d same day..
    Saturday was my interview nd monday was cald fr documentation.. Got call after a month for offer letter n joining.. Now completed 13 months..

Interview Questions
    • Mutal funds
      Shares
      All briefing of my resume..
      Little tricky questions on wat u say..

Answer Question
    Very good..

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Northern Trust.

Very fun interview process. I met with two managers and two team leaders, which really gave me a good sense of who I would be working with on a daily basis.

Analyst - Transfer Agency Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northern Trust in November 2014.

Interview Date : 22nd Nov 2014

No GD

First Round : Aptitude Test (Basic Quant, Verbal & Reasoning)(60 questions in 60 min)
    Need to know basics, then you can clear it easily.

Second Round : Technical Aptitude Test (Logical Reasoning, 1 essay (topic was bonded labour)) 30 min.
    If you keep presence of mind and thoroughly understands the questions, its a cake walk for you.

Third Round : Managerial Round
    Interviewer : 2 persons
    They will go through your CV. As i have 1 yr of experience, they ask me about my current job profile, how do I deal with my team, whts my strength, why they should hire me,. (Note: they will see your body language, your way of communication)

Fourth Round : Operational Round
    Interviewer : 2 persons
    They will ask you about handling stress, previous work related experience. Salary expectation. They will ask whether you can work in any shifts.

Last round was HR
    She just asked me about my current CTC and asked me send documents.

Note : As i am having work experience, they asked me only about my work. For freshers, i heard they asked abt company profile, some questions related to Derivatives.

Be confident, dont be nervous. Before going to interview, have breakfast.
    Interview timing for me: 9.00 to 3.30 pm (for 5 rounds)

Waiting for their call.

anyone has taken interview on the same date, let me know through comment section.

Interview Questions
    THEY ASKED ME TO SEND DOCUMENTS RELATED TO MY CURRENT JOB. STILL WAITING FOR THE CALL.