Northrop Grumman

Updated 23 Feb 2015
Updated 23 Feb 2015

2.6

Physicist III Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Phone Screening. Series of questions about my skill set involving yes or no answers. Very straightforward, almost blunt. Told me that I was 30% of what they wanted and they hoped they could find a better match.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

After applying online, I checked periodically on my job page to see if my application status had changed. After 2 months, the status changed from "under consideration by recruiter" to "under consideration by hiring manager", but I never received a phone screen or email. And about a month later, my status changed to "Interview". Several days after seeing the update, I was sent an email by my recruiter with instructions for a phone interview.

The hour-long interview was relaxed and not very demanding, but I was asked a bevy of typical interview questions. I recommend others study their answers to those questions, and to make sure they convey to the interviewers why they'd be a good fit with Northrop Grumman. I was given lots of good feedback during the interview because they could tell how prepared I was.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which your coworkers or classmates rejected an idea you had, or job you did.   Answer Question
    • Let's go over your resume.   Answer Question

Logistics Area Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Talked to both mechanical managers, was told that another job was coming up closer to the end of last year and they would send me an e mail when they wanted me to apply.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you apply for the job, what makes you think you are a good fit for this job?   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

I applied online and got a random call one day about 5 weeks after I applied. The recruiter called me and asked me if he could ask me a few technical questions. This was a almost like a pop quiz because I was not expecting an interview. After telling him I wasn't expecting it, he just told me he was just gauging my knowledge without interview preparation. Overall, it was a pretty easy interview, more about experiences and conceptual questions instead of having to write code.

Interview Questions
    • C++ questions regarding object oriented programming, asked basic conceptual questions about stacks, queues, STL. did not have to write code, talked about past experience, interests in software, basically gauged knowledge of code and software   Answer Question

Lead Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in February 2015.

Standard Process - Applied online, contacted several weeks later by email stating the hiring manager would like to conduct an in person interview. Flew to job site and met with hiring manager, a program manager and two other employees in a group/panel interview.

The manager spoke for several minutes about the company and what position I was interviewing for. He then asked me to talk about my experiences relating to the position. After a few minutes I hit a couple of buzz words and the manager asked pointed questions about that topic. After answering those, I was asked about requirements specific to the product. A few more questions and answers and I was shaking hands.

It was very short and directed. (It was scheduled to be short.) No time to get comfortable or ramble.

Posted this too soon after the interview to be notified...checking online status for an update.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about your experiences relating to <fill in from requisition/job description>   Answer Question

Systems Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Met the recruiters at a campus career fair and left a good impression, making sure to pick up a business card after meeting. Within a week I received a call about setting up an interview. The interviewer was friendly and asked about everything on my resume. For some of the projects he asked a little bit more about some of the technical details.

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

It was all very professional and polished. Even though I literally knew I had the job, the HR recruiter, hiring manager, team lead, program manager and a couple of others still interviewed me and actually gave me a small written test on my Linux skills during the interview. They never gave away that I was a shoe-in for the job during any formal communications, and were very professional during the salary negotiation. I had one phone interview, then they flew me out for an in-person 4-hour interview with lunch at the location where I would be working.
    The first interview was the HR part, so he asked questions to see how I viewed my strengths and weaknesses and other questions related to working as a member of a team.
    The second interview was the technical part including the pop-quiz they told me I didn't have to take. I got the few pages done in 15 minutes and moved on.
    The third interview included a team lead from a different area whose sole stated purpose was to figure if my personality would fit with the other teams and team members. Then lunch. The interviewers met up later that day to review as a group and then shot an offer to me within a couple of days.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a personal conflict you had with another employee and how you resolved it.   View Answer
    Short, not a lot of wiggle room, I was able to get a small sign-on bonus that they did not initially offer.

College Technical Interview

I lived within driving distance to the location at which I would be interning so I had an in person interview there with 3 engineers. They had a list of about 10 questions that they had to ask and they took notes. They were very easy to talk to and very helpful.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't ask any technical questions, just mostly things like "Have you ever worked in a group where you had disagreements with a member of the group or you had different ideas, and how did you deal with it?"   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Initial phone screen with basic technical questions followed by a group interview. Large amount of technical questions with some questions on patterns. Interview was based around knowledge or .NET and C#.

Interview Questions
    • Detail questions on patterns. Honesty was greatly appreciate when answers were not known.   Answer Question

Industrial Security Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

The interviews were strange because I felt over-prepared. They were incredibly easy to talk to and were very relaxed on question asking. I had a phone interview and in-person interview happening simultaneously, therefore, it was a bit different than average.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to insert information about who you are and how you work because you will need to add input.   Answer Question
    Recent grad. Therefore, they were non-negotiable about the position.