Northwestern Mutual

Updated Sep 17, 2014

2.5

289 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mishawaka, IN (US)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mishawaka, IN (US)

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Was contacted via email by the local recruiting agent. Have gone through two interviews. First interview was just asked a few behavioral questions and then got a chance to ask some questions about the position. After that they sent me an easy 15 minute online assessment (pick the words that describe you best, etc.) and once I submitted that they invited me back for a second interview. This one was more behavioral and personal questions. At the end the interviewer gave me a packet of mini-cases to do and said that if I like these then this job will be a good fit for me and we can discuss getting you the position. If you hate the cases then this will be a very bad fit for you. She was very friendly and made sure to emphasize that I should be honest with myself because this is the type of position where if you try to force yourself into it when you don't fit there you will certainly fail. Overall a very relaxed interview process. You can definitely tell from the way the interviewer talked though that the financial representatives need to be very driven.

Interview Questions
  • What was your parent's parenting style like and how do you think that affected your development and who you are today.   Answer Question

I don't think this position will affect my personality very well. Additionally, I do not think I will be in the area very long and all the work I'd do in my first year or two would then be wasted.

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2013.

Three interviews in total. Your given some homework to complete but its very simple. You are required to submit a background check which is understandable considering its the financial services industry. One phone interview and several one on one interviews with your hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    Was no negotiation phase.

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Provo, UT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2013.

It is a three step process. They met with me with my resume in hand and asked me questions about myself. No difficult questions since they were all about my personality. Based on what I have seen, they do not turn down many people if you are willing to put in the hard work as a financial representative.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2013.

Phone call, complete test, 2 in person interviews. Seems like they'll take anyone. The internship seems more like a scam in which they want to exploit interns for their contacts (aka family and friends).

Not worth the trouble

Financial Representative Interview

first stage for interview was behavioral questions. the hiring recruiter just wanted to make sure i had interpersonal skills. entire interview took 30 mins and was very straightforward. the first stage is just to set you up for the next interview where they give you an assignment to complete by next interview.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

A recruiter came to the college I was attending. The head of the insurance department gave my name to the recruiter. I interviewed mainly to get some interview experience. The job was a full commission job and they were going to rely on me to sell insurance to my friends and family to start "my business".

Interview Questions
    • Please provide a list of 100 people you would contact about selling insurance.   View Answer

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

Your selling insurance. If you want the job your going to get it. I uploaded my resume online and got a call a few days later. Since I was eager for a job I agreed for an interview. Really my first interview was more like an Q&A section. After I shot off a few questions I had about the company and the industry the interview was over and I was asked to come back next week. Since I really didn't have anything lined up I agreed. Met with them the following week where they showed me how much money I could expect to make my first year (heads up to anyone actually thinking about working on straight commission only. The numbers they show you are EXTREMELY unrealistic). I knew the numbers they were showing me was a load of BS since I knew financial advisers are broke their first few years in the industry but i shrugged it off and straight asked for the job after the interview was over. We shook hands and he gave me some papers to sign and BOOM I was a financial representative in a blink of an eye.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you could be good at this job?   View Answer
    This is a straight commission only job. There is no negotiation on pay.

Financial Representative Interview

Typically 3 interviews and the second is usually a group interview with a few others to bounce questions and thoughts around and determine if it is a fit. Final interview is where you get the offer.

Financial Representative Interview

There are 3 rounds of interviews. On the first interview, you are asked basic questions about your resume. It's fairly easy. It's just to get to know more about you and your personality. In the second round interview you are given market surveys that you must complete. The goal of the market surveys is to see if you are actually fit for a sales position. You have to call up all your friends and family and ask them some questions and ask them for referrals. In the last round you present your findings and prepare a PowerPoint presentation based on questions they ask you.

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2014.

Reached out to them about a position and they ask you for a phone call to start off with and then proceed with a follow up interview in the office. It was pretty easy going through the process because they were mainly fit questions and they make you fill out a Project 100 and these surveys to see if you can do the job. I had to then go back in 2 other times to meet with other members in the office for essentially the same interview 3 times. Again all fit questions just to see if they like you.

Interview Questions
    • The Project 100 and market surveys were the hardest part because it made you get a feel for what type of market you would be able to deal with and if you could perform well enough.   Answer Question

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!