Northwestern Mutual

Updated 25 Feb 2015
Updated 25 Feb 2015

2.4

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The process is smooth and comfortable. The whole interview is very much like a conversation. If you go the next round they will give you actual homework to do before the next one. Work usually involves going out and surveying people. Be ready to actually step out of your comfort zone and your house to land this job. The job is also mainly sales based so make sure that is something you want to do before you proceed.

Interview Questions
  • The questions are mainly behavioral. Almost no technical question.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Asked me what are my ultimate goals in life, what were my acheivements, how did I learn from my previous mistakes in life, describing myself and my personality. All the questions where quite general and the interview was a good chunk of time, like 45 minutes but that was the first round and it was on the phone. Further interviews were in person and assigned us projects of who to call & your networks.

Interview Questions
    • See above, general interview questions, not really lots of surprises i'd say.   Answer Question

better off somewhere else.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Mine was three rounds and met with different branches. Not too difficult but they disguised the fact you're job is simply to sell life insurance to friends and family. The first round was behavioral and the second more just telling you what you'd be doing if you take the job.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

They came to a job fair at my college, where they gave general information about the company. Then I was later contacted by a recruiter to come to an interview, I had the interview, which went on for about an hour + . Then I was told that I would be sent an online survey to complete

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see your self in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • If there was a snow storm and a client wanted to meet, what would you do and why?   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

invited me in for an information session and explained the company and what it was about. To me it seemed like a scam exploiting my friends and family try to sell insurance to them. Didn't bother compiling a list and looked for an internship somewhere else

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any questions, just an info session   View Answer

Financial Representative Interview

3 Interviews, all in office. Process took about 3 weeks. Fairly easy questions, they pretty much wanted to see if my personality could handle the position. essentially a saleman role. I did chose not to take the job because I was not willing to contact the 100 or so friends that would be necessary.

Interview Questions
    • How did your friends react when you told them you were going on an interview with Northwestern Mutual?   Answer Question

Better offer

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2015.

The first interview is very much a behavior interview. They are looking for the personality of someone who can bring them more clients and revenue. Positive, optimistic, driven. Before the second interview they will give you some homework to do, such as a personality quiz, a one page essay, and 6 interviews to conduct (3 people you know, and 3 strangers that the first 3 refer you to) regarding their financial decisions.

*I took the interview more for the experience than my desire to work for them. I told them what they wanted to hear and they seemed very interested in me, but I told them I wasn't interested after this point.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask about your sales experience and how you feel about sales. They will also ask you about your savings, because the job doesn't pay very well for a new hire without any clients.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2015.

Took about three weeks after applying online to schedule an interview. I scheduled it at 3:00PM but they called 30 minutes in advance. I could not pick up at the moment so I gave it a wait. Never received a call again so I emailed the recruiter explaining the situation and asking for an alternative option and she just told me "we called but you did not receive it. You also didn't have a voicemail set up". I told them I am no longer interested.

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2015.

Interview was fairly easy, first round was basic behavioral questions, second was a presentation about yourself, and third was several forms you needed to fill out regarding your "social network" aka who you could sell life insurance to. The recruiters were very friendly and nice, but the job just wasn't right for me. It's a commission based position where you're essentially cold calling people you know and trying to sell them life insurance. If you're the type of person that's comfortable with this, it's a good career opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you demonstrated leadership?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2015.

Interviewed on campus for a total of 30 minutes. The lady was really nice and asked lots of questions. She told me I had a good chance of getting the job offer and that if I was really interested I should stay in touch with her (she gave me her business card).