Northwestern Mutual

Average Difficulty
280 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2014.

Interview Details Reached out to them about a position and they ask you for a phone call to start off with and then proceed with a follow up interview in the office. It was pretty easy going through the process because they were mainly fit questions and they make you fill out a Project 100 and these surveys to see if you can do the job. I had to then go back in 2 other times to meet with other members in the office for essentially the same interview 3 times. Again all fit questions just to see if they like you.

Interview Question – The Project 100 and market surveys were the hardest part because it made you get a feel for what type of market you would be able to deal with and if you could perform well enough.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Financial Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details I applied online and received a phone call the next day. They asked me to come in for an interview the next day. When I went in for the interview, they asked me what I am looking for in a career. I told them that I was not looking for any sort of sales position. I didn't like the idea of selling insurance to my friends. They told me to go ahead and take the homework assignment, which is making a list of people you know who you can sell insurance to. I did not feel comfortable doing that, so I said no.

Interview Question – How many people do I know?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details I applied for an internship, had a phone interview then led up to a face to face interview in a small room. basic interview questions. what are you strength and weakness, why you, what are you highest achievements. then after asking the questions they would ask you if you know what you are in for and if you would be able to commit for the job. also asks for a submission of your class schedule too

Interview Question – will you be able to fill out a list of 100 contacts and submit it by next week for review?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – you make what you put in. commission based and weekly stipends from development meetings

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details Phone interview with an HR rep in their home office. Questions are really easy but the assessment is truly complicated. It took hours to finish all the question.

Interview Question – All questions are regular questions.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

Interview Details Met a recruiter through a college career fair, and scheduled an initial interview with that recruiter. Initially thought I was interviewing for the Fin Rep position, and it may have been intentionally unclear, but I was actually interviewing for the Graduate Program. Basic questions were asked to assess a good "fit"in first interview, then I was contacted for a second "in-depth" interview and instructed to do a brief presentation. My interviewer did not show up, so I was interviewed by someone else. Following the in-depth interview I was given a quota of 10 market surveys and 15 referrals to complete before my final interview. The employees were generally quite friendly, and the corporate culture is relaxed and fun.

Interview Questions

• How would your participation in our program benefit our team and Network Office?   View Answer
  • What was the most rewarding/challenging role in your previous work experience, and why?   Answer Question
  • What was your biggest take away from the market survey experience?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Small stipend that would barely cover transportation costs during internship, and no base salary even after going full-time. It was not the ideal market for my career goals.

Financial Representative

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in July 2014.

Interview Details I got referred to the company from a different financial representative, and had a initial interview. Four more follow it. Got a second interview. We will see where it goes from here.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   View Answer

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details Friendly interview. Commission based. Kept on about company average is 82,000 a year for their financial reps. Curious what percentage quit before calculating that number. Lot of work before a paycheck arrives. Neutral attitude regarding company. Didn't move forward with position. Culture seemed enjoyable with plenty of support surrounding the office and the advisors. I was looking for more.

Interview Question – She wasn't trying to acquire weaknesses. More of a behavioral interview gauging your interpersonal skills.   Answer Question

Financial Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details called me for an initial over the phone interview and invited me in for a 2nd interview. guy who interviewed me was real interested in my goals and was really into the hiring process unlike other places i have been to. He was also 25 which made it a little easier for me. set up a time for the third and final meeting right there on the spot.

Interview Question – What values do you value most in a person?   Answer Question

Financial Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details Very conversational. Must be able to call a lot of people on the phone. Some people just aren't cut out for the job, but if you do well at it you can be VERY successful.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. Very straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple

Schaumburg, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2013.

Interview Details I felt the in-office interview was pretty standard. I was a recent college graduate and interviewed with a college recruiter. She asked personal questions for 5-10 minutes to break the ice, ie. What kind of activities are you interested in, what the family does... etc. Then asked about my college experience, classes I took, and extracurriculars. Wanted to know how the things I experienced would help me in the job world. Asked how I deal with conflict and time management. After the first interview, they ask you to take a few on-line tests that determine your personality and decide if you would be a good fit for this position. You really must be honest to get an accurate score and see if you are really a good fit! After the test it took a couple days for the recruiter to contact me. If they decide you are NOT a good fit at this time, you may re-take the test after 6 months. If you ARE a good fit you go back in for an interview with the recruiter and a Senior Financial Representative. If you pass, the next interview is with 2 or 3 people from higher management.

Interview Question – Name an example of a time when you were overwhelmed, describe your emotions and how you dealt with the problem.   View Answer

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!