Northwestern Mutual

Average Difficulty
845 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details Phone interview with an HR rep in their home office. Questions are really easy but the assessment is truly complicated. It took hours to finish all the question.

Interview Question – All questions are regular questions.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details Friendly interview. Commission based. Kept on about company average is 82,000 a year for their financial reps. Curious what percentage quit before calculating that number. Lot of work before a paycheck arrives. Neutral attitude regarding company. Didn't move forward with position. Culture seemed enjoyable with plenty of support surrounding the office and the advisors. I was looking for more.

Interview Question – She wasn't trying to acquire weaknesses. More of a behavioral interview gauging your interpersonal skills.   Answer Question

Staff Interview

Staff

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details Three rounds of interviews with several people, some over the phone. Questions were not hard, people seemed nice. They interviewed and hired me for a position very different from my background, which they're in the habit of doing.

Negotiation Details – Didn't offer much, and wouldn't negotiate.

College Financial Representative Interview

College Financial Representative
Irvine, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details I applied through my university and the process took about a week. I was first called by the recruiter to set up an interview. When the it was time for the interview, the recruiter was casual and very approachable. However, I did not feel comfortable continuing to the second round of interviews since it required me to present them a list of my contacts so I can sell them insurance once I began the internship.

Interview Question – The interview was very casual and the interviewer seemed asked question about how you could sell an item.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2014.

Interview Details I first received a phone interview from a recruiter, fallowed by an in person interview with a previous top intern. They want a list of 100 to 200 names of potential clients before the intern starts. I wasn't interested.

Interview Question – Questions were basic tell me about yourself questions.   Answer Question

Financial Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details called me for an initial over the phone interview and invited me in for a 2nd interview. guy who interviewed me was real interested in my goals and was really into the hiring process unlike other places i have been to. He was also 25 which made it a little easier for me. set up a time for the third and final meeting right there on the spot.

Interview Question – What values do you value most in a person?   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative Interview

Financial Services Representative
Albany, NY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2014.

Interview Details Initial communication came from HR after I had given a presentation to local executives. One of the execs was Northwestern Mutual partner and asked for my resume. I had an initial interview with basic questions on personality and lifestyle questions. After the interview was a short survey to see if you were really cut out for the sales position that the job really is. I wasn't and didn't know nearly enough people to sell insurance to. Because of my low score on the survey we mutually agreed to end the hiring process.

Interview Question – Most questions were very similar and quite canned. What was a tough group/teamwork experience? how did you excel in the situation and how could you have done better...? so on and so forth   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Denver, CO (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

Interview Details Initial meeting followed by a lengthy online personality profile. This profile is heavily based on whether or not you have ever invested in financial services yourself, and how many people in the financial services industry you know. the second interview is to discuss your results and if you qualify you will meet with a higher up. you must be willing to gather 200-300 of your closest friends and family and be willing to sell the financial services.

Interview Question – They kept it very casual, asking simple questions about your goals and ability to go into sales and work on commission.   Answer Question

Financial Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details Very conversational. Must be able to call a lot of people on the phone. Some people just aren't cut out for the job, but if you do well at it you can be VERY successful.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. Very straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple

Schaumburg, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2013.

Interview Details I felt the in-office interview was pretty standard. I was a recent college graduate and interviewed with a college recruiter. She asked personal questions for 5-10 minutes to break the ice, ie. What kind of activities are you interested in, what the family does... etc. Then asked about my college experience, classes I took, and extracurriculars. Wanted to know how the things I experienced would help me in the job world. Asked how I deal with conflict and time management. After the first interview, they ask you to take a few on-line tests that determine your personality and decide if you would be a good fit for this position. You really must be honest to get an accurate score and see if you are really a good fit! After the test it took a couple days for the recruiter to contact me. If they decide you are NOT a good fit at this time, you may re-take the test after 6 months. If you ARE a good fit you go back in for an interview with the recruiter and a Senior Financial Representative. If you pass, the next interview is with 2 or 3 people from higher management.

Interview Question – Name an example of a time when you were overwhelmed, describe your emotions and how you dealt with the problem.   View Answer

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!