Northwestern Mutual

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Diego, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details I had 3 interviews each lasting 30-40 minutes. The questions were pretty straight forward about my skills, previous experience, how I handled certain business situations. Everything was going really well until the last interview. The interviewer asked me highly inappropriate questions and it made me realize I did not want to work for this organization.

Interview Question – 1. How old are you?
2. Are you married?
3. Do you want to have kids?
4. Do you plan to work full-time after having kids?
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had a bad gut feeling after being asked personal questions that have nothing to do with my skills or performance.

New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2010.

Interview Details Few interviews to go on. Need to take some assessments before you come in for a second interview. Looking for someone energetic with a strong networking background and affiliated with local groups. Looking for someone clean cut and polished. They prefer you to be referred into the company.

Interview Question – Do you feel comfortable using your own resources for referrals?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You picked a number based on your experience and they'd either match it or adjust accordingly.

Recruiter

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2013.

Interview Details They worked really hard to get the multi-stage interviews done in a timely manner. During the interview process each representative that I met with was very professional and personable as well.
The offer process seemed very rushed and not very flexible.

Interview Question – "why do you want to leave your current job"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – commission/compensation was at a good level, but salary base was low

Recruiter

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details Very laid back interview with management-asked me more about my life and views on life. Went on to meet with other managers who were similiar in their interview style.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had a difficult challenge in your life and how you came to a conclusion about the decision.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little negotiation as salary was discussed upfront. Negotiated bonus slightly.

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2011.

Interview Details Applied online. Went through a phone screen a few days later. Scheduled an interview two days later. I prepared very intensely for the interview. Studied all aspects of the company, took their sales test, prepared recruiting strategies and prepared for anticipated questions. Both the phone screen and one-on-one interview were with the head recruiter. A couple of candidates moved on to a second round. Prepping is a must for an interview! I've never prepped so much for one. Bring your A++ game. They prefer experience in recruiting for commission-only jobs.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual Recruiter interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees and interview candidates.