Northwestern Mutual Summer Intern Interview Questions & Reviews

9 interviews

1.4

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Summer Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

There was a phone interview first then in person interview. Average questions and easy going

Interview Questions
  • Most were average - did ask if I knew 100 people to begin my business.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Summer Intern Interview

The interview went much as expected, they sit you down in a little room, you answer typical questions and they talk up the position a lot. As far as I know it followed rather normal flows, the interviewer was very nice and as usual a current employee of the company. Maybe the only odd things was that the guy I was being interviewed by actually help the position I was applying for.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want this job, and what kind of person are you. How does that mean you should get the job.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

very easy process. they accept basically everyone.

i wanted something better

Summer Intern Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Submitted my resume to a college recruiter at a fair my school was holding. Wasn't planning on visiting the booth but the recruiter called me over. Within a week of giving him my resume, I received a call from the northwestern branch asking me if I wanted to come in for an interview. I found the whole process somewhat odd for a "top ten internship" which they had no trouble flaunting at every possible chance they got. The first interview was very simple, no difficult questions and less than ten minutes in length. They were only looking for motivated and outgoing people with some leadership experience; didnt care about major, field experience or gpa. Had to recommend three friends for the position who they promptly called within a week. In my experience, no "top ten internship" chases students like this, the students have to find the employer. I was offered a second interview but after time to think about the position and doing a little online research, I came to a few troubling conclusions detailed in the section below.

Northwestern wants to exploit your family and friends for insurance sales, using you close personal ties with them to sell them their insurance. Ask yourself this, what random adult is going to trust a student without a degree (and not even a finance degree in some cases) to plan their financial future and invest their money? The answer is your family and close friends. If you are comfortable selling insurance to your family and friends, this is the perfect internship for you. You will get great experience in financial planing and sales. If not, as was the case for me, steer clear. Your salary is commission based so make sure you are aware what your getting into. This place needs to be removed from the top 10 list, maybe it will humble them a bit. Compare them to the vault's other 10 including deloitte, google and pwc, there is no comparison.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

First got a phone interview that was really basic, the standard "tell me about yourself," why did you chose your major, tell me about a recent challenge you've faced and how you overcame it. Then they wanted me to take a test on excel, powerpoint and word, which was I guess the second round. The third round involved me having to contact a certain number of people to sell something, which I wasn't interested in doing so I turned them down.

Interview Questions
    • Probably the most difficult was: "Tell me about a time you were a leader of a project or task and something went wrong. How did you fix it?"   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2011.

Had an initial interview with basic interview questions. Was asked back for a group session where we were assigned market surveys, which consisted of surveying 10 people and getting 30 referrals.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a tough situation that you overcame in a past work experience?   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2011.

They start by doing a general interview on the phone or in person. Your second interview, if you "pass" the first interview, is to create a presentation that basically sells why you want to work for NW and why you would be a great intern. The third interview is where you bring in lots of potential contacts and go over how you would network with the campus director. Basically for the second and third interview you need to spend several hours beforehand preparing for the interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with cold-calling? Are you resilient enough to handle it? Can you handle rejection?   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Troy, MI (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2011.

Applied through school's career website, and went through 1 on 1 interview with an office employee. Was basically offered the job at the end of the interview. The interviewer gave me a sheet to list a certain number of contacts to talk to before starting the job to establish a base of people to begin selling to.

Interview Questions
    • Do you feel comfortable being rejected multiple time each day while selling?   View Answer

Other opportunities

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Cockeysville, MD (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Cockeysville, MD (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2009.

I applied through my campus recruiting. The local recruiter forwarded my resume to their office by my home. I went home and interviewed. The interview consisted of them explaining the position, asking me about myself, and then my questions. The internship consists of you writing down a list of contacts before you officially join. You then join, and contact this list of people to sell life insurance to all summer. You get paid a commission from selling them and a small stipend.

Interview Questions

I personally don't like selling to my friends and family.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!