OHSU

Updated 27 Jan 2015
Updated 27 Jan 2015

2.8

Psychology Intern Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at OHSU.

Very structured. Communications were adequate. Interviewing with several different faculty members. Each faculty had a different approach. Each had a very distinctly different personality. There was appropriate separate area for interviewees to gather. However, a lengthy amount of time occurred for which there was no contact with interviewees and left them amongst each other allowing for unprofessional interactions, which was left unchecked.

Interview Questions
    • If you could pull any toy from your childhood into the present, what would it be   Answer Question
    Nonnegotiable

Senior Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OHSU.

I met with three people from the department. No one asked me about my experience or background. I spent an hour listening to the director pitch the department to me. It wasn't clear during the interview who the hiring manager was. It turned out it was the person seated beside me, who never asked me any questions.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any questions. I did volunteer information in response to what I was told about the position.   Answer Question
    I needed the job. I was offered the position of Research Associate, but when I received the contract, it had been downgraded to Senior Research Assistant. They were very low-ball on the salary. I was offered $58K but was able to talk them up to $60K.

Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at OHSU in October 2013.

The interview process was brutal. I was an internal applicant and went through 3 panel interviews (about 5 - 6 people per interview), plus 3 additional rounds of interviews with physicians and higher level leadership. It was a very stressful process.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think were the biggest mistakes in the history of this department?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. It was take-it-or-leave it.

Research Assistant II Interview

Contacted by email to set up a brief phone interview. Phone interview was relaxed and lasted about 15 minutes. Then I went and toured the facilities and met with the head of the lab and another member of the lab where they spent most of the time explaining the job position, but also asked me interview type questions.

Interview Questions
    • Do you want to go to grad school or any other further schooling?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at OHSU in August 2013.

I applied online and after 2 weeks I received an invite for an interview. The interview was with the PI and lasted ~1 hour. We talked mostly about my past undergrad research experience, a bit about his research, and what the job entailed. After waiting a week, I was told a more experienced candidate was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected. Be prepared to talk about your past experiences.   Answer Question

Anesthesia Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at OHSU in August 2013.

I applied online as required for the position, then they contacted me for an interview. It was to be a position for the South Operating Rooms. I met 2 senior anesthesia technicians, and they were both very friendly. I got to see some of the South OR, which was a huge area of the OHSU Hospital on the Marquam Hill Campus.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a co-worker wasn't pulling his or her own weight at the job?   Answer Question

Research Assistant II Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at OHSU.

The hiring process was smooth and quick since i initial started as a Research assistant

Interview Questions
    There was not much room for negotiation since I got a job based on a research grant and the salary was fixed.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OHSU.

These vary depending on the supervisor and the department. The online job system seemed simple to use and the results to job queries came within a week or two. It's not perfect, as HR is charged with the initial screening, but pretty good.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Basic interview; I suspect a bit of vetting came before the final interview.   Answer Question
    I was able to slightly negotiate on salary, but it was still quite lower than at my former job. It's grant supported, so I don't know they had much wiggle room. Also some departments seem to rank based on the lowest common denominator. For instance, in other departments someone with my experience would be a Senior Research Associate. In others, that person would be a Research Assistant.

Lab Technical Assistant/OHSU Blood Bank Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OHSU in February 2013.

After applying online I didn't hear anything for over 2 weeks. I e-mailed the hiring manager directly to see if they had made any decisions for the position. She e-mailed me back saying that they'd like an interview, which was scheduled for the following week. The interview itself was very straightforward, mostly a check to see if I had the required schooling and experience based on the HR-prescribed minimums. After the interview, I didn't hear anything from the hiring manager for over 2 weeks. I tracked her down and asked her in-person if they had made a decision, at which time she took me to her office and offered me the position. All-in-all, very unprofessional and disorganized.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was as standard as possible, nothing stood out as unusual.   Answer Question
    Difficult. Management didn't give opportunity to negotiate.

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OHSU in December 2012.

Initial phase of application is completely automated. Your cover letter and resume MUST match the search terms from the job description.
    Phone interview to elaborate on what you submitted.
    In-person meeting to learn more about the position and how your experience matches their needs.
    Interviewing manager was very articulate and sharp. Come prepared.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do in the first few months to be as effective as possible?   View Answer