OHSU Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2014
Updated Aug 28, 2014

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at OHSU in January 2014.

I had an initial phone interview and was invited to have one on one interviews with each of the Physicians that I would be working closely with as their Research Assistant. The process was much more relaxed than I anticipated. Both of the physicians were warm and friendly and actually seemed genuinely interested in my responses. I've had less positive experiences where the interviewer seemed bored or I got grilled with technical questions. This process was more like seeing if our goals met.

Interview Questions
    • There were a couple questions that could be difficult if you aren't a person that thinks long term. "Where do you see yourself in five years?" "What are your career goals?" "If x doesn't work out, what will you do?"   Answer Question
    I'm still a student and was pretty thrilled with the offer of a salaried position, so I didn't feel comfortable negotiating. However, I felt that the offer was strong and I'm honestly really happy to be working at OHSU.

Lab Technical Assistant/OHSU Blood Bank Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OHSU in February 2013.

After applying online I didn't hear anything for over 2 weeks. I e-mailed the hiring manager directly to see if they had made any decisions for the position. She e-mailed me back saying that they'd like an interview, which was scheduled for the following week. The interview itself was very straightforward, mostly a check to see if I had the required schooling and experience based on the HR-prescribed minimums. After the interview, I didn't hear anything from the hiring manager for over 2 weeks. I tracked her down and asked her in-person if they had made a decision, at which time she took me to her office and offered me the position. All-in-all, very unprofessional and disorganized.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was as standard as possible, nothing stood out as unusual.   Answer Question
    Difficult. Management didn't give opportunity to negotiate.

Systems Analyst Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at OHSU in June 2011.

It seems with OHSU that they don't have any "standard" interview process. Mine was conducted almost solely by my manager and it was his own unique questions that I doubt anyone else would receive. I had a 30 minute phone call, 30 minutes in person with my manager, 30 minutes in person with upper management, 15 minutes in person with my manager. Nothing technical but I think that was because my manager didn't know anything technical.

Interview Questions
    • They asked some questions regarding HIPPAA and PHI.   View Answer
    They offered me a good salary and it was higher then the other company I had received an offer with at the time. I didn't negotiate because I was coming into a union spot and my vacation days and everything were already set up for me. Not very good vacation day amounts though.

Psychology Intern Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at OHSU.

Very structured. Communications were adequate. Interviewing with several different faculty members. Each faculty had a different approach. Each had a very distinctly different personality. There was appropriate separate area for interviewees to gather. However, a lengthy amount of time occurred for which there was no contact with interviewees and left them amongst each other allowing for unprofessional interactions, which was left unchecked.

Interview Questions
    • If you could pull any toy from your childhood into the present, what would it be   Answer Question
    Nonnegotiable

Senior Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OHSU.

I met with three people from the department. No one asked me about my experience or background. I spent an hour listening to the director pitch the department to me. It wasn't clear during the interview who the hiring manager was. It turned out it was the person seated beside me, who never asked me any questions.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any questions. I did volunteer information in response to what I was told about the position.   Answer Question
    I needed the job. I was offered the position of Research Associate, but when I received the contract, it had been downgraded to Senior Research Assistant. They were very low-ball on the salary. I was offered $58K but was able to talk them up to $60K.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at OHSU in August 2013.

I applied online and after 2 weeks I received an invite for an interview. The interview was with the PI and lasted ~1 hour. We talked mostly about my past undergrad research experience, a bit about his research, and what the job entailed. After waiting a week, I was told a more experienced candidate was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected. Be prepared to talk about your past experiences.   Answer Question

Research Assistant II Interview

Contacted by email to set up a brief phone interview. Phone interview was relaxed and lasted about 15 minutes. Then I went and toured the facilities and met with the head of the lab and another member of the lab where they spent most of the time explaining the job position, but also asked me interview type questions.

Interview Questions
    • Do you want to go to grad school or any other further schooling?   View Answer

Cytogenetics Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OHSU in August 2011.

Very fast process in my case. It took them less than two weeks to offer me the job. I was basically hired based on a phone interview!!

Interview Questions
    Back and forth for $1.5 more hourly wage!!!

PAS Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at OHSU in January 2011.

Took them almost 2 months to get back to me. They schedule you for a phone interview first then if selected they bring you in to do a group panel style interview. On a hiring note, they usually only select OHSU employees for 1st 7days of an opening and have to have a good reason to hire externally. They asked the typical interview questions, team oriented kind. They will try to often you 1 step up from what you're currently making but they're usually no drug test to take unless its for a specific position. The background check it done through a 3rd party service they verifies your wages, dates of employment, etc. Benefits are good...kinda like a HMO because you get the best coverage by using their facilities. High co-pays though $25 each OV, $200 yearly deductible is good.

Interview Questions
    I told the supervisor I was making more than I actually was, so she gave me more than my previous job. But when I did the background check to verify the information I put the correct amounts so when HR got the results it would match up.

Research Assistant II Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at OHSU.

The hiring process was smooth and quick since i initial started as a Research assistant

Interview Questions
    There was not much room for negotiation since I got a job based on a research grant and the salary was fixed.