OHSU

Relevance Date Difficulty

Systems Analyst Engineer Interview

Systems Analyst Engineer
Portland, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at OHSU in June 2011.

Interview Details It seems with OHSU that they don't have any "standard" interview process. Mine was conducted almost solely by my manager and it was his own unique questions that I doubt anyone else would receive. I had a 30 minute phone call, 30 minutes in person with my manager, 30 minutes in person with upper management, 15 minutes in person with my manager. Nothing technical but I think that was because my manager didn't know anything technical.

Interview Question – They asked some questions regarding HIPPAA and PHI.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me a good salary and it was higher then the other company I had received an offer with at the time. I didn't negotiate because I was coming into a union spot and my vacation days and everything were already set up for me. Not very good vacation day amounts though.

Psychology Intern Interview

Psychology Intern

I applied through another source and interviewed at OHSU.

Interview Details Very structured. Communications were adequate. Interviewing with several different faculty members. Each faculty had a different approach. Each had a very distinctly different personality. There was appropriate separate area for interviewees to gather. However, a lengthy amount of time occurred for which there was no contact with interviewees and left them amongst each other allowing for unprofessional interactions, which was left unchecked.

Interview Question – If you could pull any toy from your childhood into the present, what would it be   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nonnegotiable

Very Easy Interview

Senior Research Assistant Interview

Senior Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OHSU.

Interview Details I met with three people from the department. No one asked me about my experience or background. I spent an hour listening to the director pitch the department to me. It wasn't clear during the interview who the hiring manager was. It turned out it was the person seated beside me, who never asked me any questions.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any questions. I did volunteer information in response to what I was told about the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I needed the job. I was offered the position of Research Associate, but when I received the contract, it had been downgraded to Senior Research Assistant. They were very low-ball on the salary. I was offered $58K but was able to talk them up to $60K.

Portland, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at OHSU in August 2013.

Interview Details I applied online and after 2 weeks I received an invite for an interview. The interview was with the PI and lasted ~1 hour. We talked mostly about my past undergrad research experience, a bit about his research, and what the job entailed. After waiting a week, I was told a more experienced candidate was offered the position.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected. Be prepared to talk about your past experiences.   Answer Question

Interviewed at OHSU

Interview Details Contacted by email to set up a brief phone interview. Phone interview was relaxed and lasted about 15 minutes. Then I went and toured the facilities and met with the head of the lab and another member of the lab where they spent most of the time explaining the job position, but also asked me interview type questions.

Interview Question – Do you want to go to grad school or any other further schooling?   View Answer

Cytogenetics Technologist Interview

Cytogenetics Technologist
Portland, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OHSU in August 2011.

Interview Details Very fast process in my case. It took them less than two weeks to offer me the job. I was basically hired based on a phone interview!!

Interview Question – None! Do your STAR technique and you will be fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Back and forth for $1.5 more hourly wage!!!

PAS Specialist Interview

PAS Specialist
Portland, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at OHSU in January 2011.

Interview Details Took them almost 2 months to get back to me. They schedule you for a phone interview first then if selected they bring you in to do a group panel style interview. On a hiring note, they usually only select OHSU employees for 1st 7days of an opening and have to have a good reason to hire externally. They asked the typical interview questions, team oriented kind. They will try to often you 1 step up from what you're currently making but they're usually no drug test to take unless its for a specific position. The background check it done through a 3rd party service they verifies your wages, dates of employment, etc. Benefits are good...kinda like a HMO because you get the best coverage by using their facilities. High co-pays though $25 each OV, $200 yearly deductible is good.

Interview Question – How do you deal with drama and gossip?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I told the supervisor I was making more than I actually was, so she gave me more than my previous job. But when I did the background check to verify the information I put the correct amounts so when HR got the results it would match up.

Research Assistant II

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at OHSU.

Interview Details The hiring process was smooth and quick since i initial started as a Research assistant

Interview Question – There were not difficult questions. The   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not much room for negotiation since I got a job based on a research grant and the salary was fixed.

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Portland, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at OHSU in August 2011.

Interview Details cant remember too much detail. applied online while working at OHSU. 1 phone call to set up interview with both potential supervisors. short interview.

Negotiation Details – they asked what i would like to make...

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OHSU.

Interview Details These vary depending on the supervisor and the department. The online job system seemed simple to use and the results to job queries came within a week or two. It's not perfect, as HR is charged with the initial screening, but pretty good.

Interview Question – None really. Basic interview; I suspect a bit of vetting came before the final interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to slightly negotiate on salary, but it was still quite lower than at my former job. It's grant supported, so I don't know they had much wiggle room. Also some departments seem to rank based on the lowest common denominator. For instance, in other departments someone with my experience would be a Senior Research Associate. In others, that person would be a Research Assistant.