Party City

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Monrovia, CA (US)

I interviewed at Party City in September 2013.

Interview Details Submitted resume online, got a call to set up an interview. Got the job. The interview was like any other retail.

Interview Question – How would you handle a difficult customer who wanted you to do something out of store policy?   Answer Question

Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Party City in September 2013.

Interview Details The interview was very easy general questions, nothing complex.

Mays Landing, NJ (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Party City in September 2013.

Interview Details Very laid back interview with manager and assistant manager. We ended up joking around about random stuff that had nothing to do with the interview. They hired me on the spot and i started orientation a week later.

Interview Question – Mostly questions about your background. Asked if i hosted alot of parties, if i liked Halloween, how i dealt with stress and a busy store.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, $8.00 an hour

Pensacola, FL (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Party City in September 2011.

Interview Details Interviews are rarely done during a time that is not Halloween. You come in and fill out an application during this time and 90% of anyone who can spell their name correct is called back for an interview. Hiring is done based on first come first serve. As long as you aren't a full time criminal you'll get the job as a Halloween temp and count on being let go the day after Halloween.

Interview Question – The questions in the interview are simple ones such as " can you lift a box of 30-35 lbs", or, " do you have a problem working on ladders?" Nothing technical is asked of you at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, you either want the job or you dont.

Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Party City in July 2008.

Interview Details The Hiring process was easy. If you came in with a good attitude and had the ability to show that you were friendly and helpful you got hired. This was my first 'real' job and I was hired on the spot. They did not check my references or do a background check and I was put into the system right away. From what I could tell it seemed like a pretty fun environment. We talked about parties and what makes a good party.

Interview Question – They were all very basic questions. "Why do you want to work at Party City?" "tell me a time when you had to work together as a team to accomplish a goal." I was never asked this question but I know if you are hired as a temp during Halloween you might be asked if you are ok with using ladders.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This was my first job so I didn't try to negotiate my pay. I knew I was making more than minimum wage and that's all I cared about.

Royal Oak, MI (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Party City in June 2012.

Interview Details I met with two managers, the first of which conducted the bulk of the interview, asked me the usual interview questions (sorta unscripted), and conversed with me a bit on the subject of each one after I gave my answers, and then read off a list of scripted, obligitory questions like could I physically do the job, etc. Then the other Mgr. came in, read from the list, to which I answered the same as before, then he left and several min. later came back to say they wanted me for the job.

Interview Question – There really weren't any. I was expecting worse, and came prepared.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none. I was careful to inform them of my desire to attain a full-time, 40hr/wk work schedule, through multiple part-time jobs if necessary, & they seemed to understand and accept what I was telling them. It really should not have come as a suprise when I eventually did just that, and informed them of my more limited availability, yet somehow they acted offended and unfairly burdened by the news, like my actions were in breach of some unspoken implicit contract wherein I would work <20 hrs a week but keep my availability each week entirely free and open to make their scheduling duties as convenient as possible, despite my informing them explicitly at the outset to the contrary. :-/

Conyers, GA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Party City in June 2008.

Interview Details I was called into a intervies with 2 managers and they played good cop bad cop and asked me a few questions and they told me they would call me back. Later that day I was called with a job offer. I thought the employees were nice and the store looked like a fun place to work.

Interview Question – Can you read?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Ask for what your worth and don't take less than what you deserve but remember to be smart and flexiable at the same time.

Eagan, MN (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Party City in August 2011.

Interview Details There is an in person application sheet that you fill out in order to be considered to work at Party City. The sheet is double sided, and asks pretty basic questions. Then they call you for a 1:1 interview, if you meet the criteria for which they are hiring.

Interview Question – How versed are you in little kids t.v. programming?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation available.

Beavercreek, OH (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Party City in May 2012.

Interview Details My interview was with the General manager. He was very polite once I actually got to see him. The cashier called for him on their radio, and the cashier continued to check out people and told me to have a seat in Inscribe area. I sat their watching the customers and listening to the cashier. She glanced over at me and asked if anyone had come up to me in which I replied, "no." She got on the radio again, much louder, told them I was waiting for the past ten minutes. The general manager then came up and greeted me, the ushered me to the back, that was when I declined to do so because he did not apologize for keeping me waiting.

Interview Question – He asked if it was raining out   View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – The manager was not very courteous, I could not imagine working for a man like that, and can not imagine what the employees have to endure.

East Lansing, MI (US)

The process took a day - interviewed at Party City in August 2009.

Interview Details I was interviewed along side another potential sales associate. The interview process lasted about 45 minutes and was fairly relaxed. Questions were pretty straight forward and related to behavioral strategies and retail experience. Schedule availability was key, and willing-ness to pick up shifts and help out by working extra hours during holiday season.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience with customer service?   View Answer
  • How would you deal with an angry customer?   View Answer
Interviews for Top Jobs at Party City

Worked for Party City? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Party City Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Party City employees and interview candidates.