Party City

Average Difficulty
17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied in-person - interviewed at Party City in September 2012.

Interview Details I went in and filled out an application. They called me a week or so later, and set up an interview for the following day. I came in early, the assistant manager asked me a few basic questions. Was told to come in the next day to talk to the manager, he told me to come in the next day to start training.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Kissimmee, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Party City in August 2014.

Interview Details I applied online on their website and got a call back about three or four weeks after.When the manager called back we set a date and time for the actual interview and, and when i went i showed up maybe a few minutes early, which was a big pointer for her, and the interview lasted only about 5 minutes tops. I was nervous in the beginning but she was kind and helpful knowing it was my first interview.

Interview Question – none, the manager pretty much guided me through the whole interview, they were all basic and easy to answer.   Answer Question

Hurst, TX (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Party City in June 2011.

Interview Details The first manager I worked under was Chris. He was quick with the interview due to it being busy when I arrived, but he asked me great questions that I knew would benefit him in hiring me. I knew how to upsell and have wonderful customer service. I learned within just that interview what he was looking for. I grew to be have perfect customer service skills/

Interview Question – None unless you count that the first time I heard the term "upsell" was during this interview.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations necessary aside from only being able to work afternoons and he started me at $8.00/hour

Matteson, IL (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Party City in July 2013.

Interview Details I walked in and applied. I was told to come back in a few days for an interview. This was my first interview, so I was really nervous. The lady had to try to get answers out of me because I didn't know what I was doing. I didn't prep the night before.

Interview Question – If a customer is looking at birthday balloon, what do you do?   View Answer

Monrovia, CA (US)

I interviewed at Party City in September 2013.

Interview Details Submitted resume online, got a call to set up an interview. Got the job. The interview was like any other retail.

Interview Question – How would you handle a difficult customer who wanted you to do something out of store policy?   Answer Question

Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Party City in September 2013.

Interview Details The interview was very easy general questions, nothing complex.

Mays Landing, NJ (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Party City in September 2013.

Interview Details Very laid back interview with manager and assistant manager. We ended up joking around about random stuff that had nothing to do with the interview. They hired me on the spot and i started orientation a week later.

Interview Question – Mostly questions about your background. Asked if i hosted alot of parties, if i liked Halloween, how i dealt with stress and a busy store.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, $8.00 an hour

Pensacola, FL (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Party City in September 2011.

Interview Details Interviews are rarely done during a time that is not Halloween. You come in and fill out an application during this time and 90% of anyone who can spell their name correct is called back for an interview. Hiring is done based on first come first serve. As long as you aren't a full time criminal you'll get the job as a Halloween temp and count on being let go the day after Halloween.

Interview Question – The questions in the interview are simple ones such as " can you lift a box of 30-35 lbs", or, " do you have a problem working on ladders?" Nothing technical is asked of you at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, you either want the job or you dont.

Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Party City in July 2008.

Interview Details The Hiring process was easy. If you came in with a good attitude and had the ability to show that you were friendly and helpful you got hired. This was my first 'real' job and I was hired on the spot. They did not check my references or do a background check and I was put into the system right away. From what I could tell it seemed like a pretty fun environment. We talked about parties and what makes a good party.

Interview Question – They were all very basic questions. "Why do you want to work at Party City?" "tell me a time when you had to work together as a team to accomplish a goal." I was never asked this question but I know if you are hired as a temp during Halloween you might be asked if you are ok with using ladders.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This was my first job so I didn't try to negotiate my pay. I knew I was making more than minimum wage and that's all I cared about.

Royal Oak, MI (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Party City in June 2012.

Interview Details I met with two managers, the first of which conducted the bulk of the interview, asked me the usual interview questions (sorta unscripted), and conversed with me a bit on the subject of each one after I gave my answers, and then read off a list of scripted, obligitory questions like could I physically do the job, etc. Then the other Mgr. came in, read from the list, to which I answered the same as before, then he left and several min. later came back to say they wanted me for the job.

Interview Question – There really weren't any. I was expecting worse, and came prepared.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none. I was careful to inform them of my desire to attain a full-time, 40hr/wk work schedule, through multiple part-time jobs if necessary, & they seemed to understand and accept what I was telling them. It really should not have come as a suprise when I eventually did just that, and informed them of my more limited availability, yet somehow they acted offended and unfairly burdened by the news, like my actions were in breach of some unspoken implicit contract wherein I would work <20 hrs a week but keep my availability each week entirely free and open to make their scheduling duties as convenient as possible, despite my informing them explicitly at the outset to the contrary. :-/

Worked for Party City? Contribute to the Community!