Paychex

Updated 16 Nov 2014
Updated 16 Nov 2014

3.1

401k SALES Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Paychex.

Three interviews - Sales test it was decent process they even do a ride along to make sure you see a day in the life - what they dont show you is the stress micro management and shaddy sales training

Interview Questions
    Everyone gets 42-47 base - recruiter says you can make 100k Plus if you hit the hard to hit quota you make abouy 72-77k !

Territory Ready Representative Interview

Briefly spoke with a recruiter. At first he thought I was a man (my resume clearly shows I am a woman) this tells me he did not read my resume. During the "interview" he asked me basic questions that I answered with no problem. After these questions he informs me he has no available positions in my area. (Then why have me answer your questions for a job opening that no longer exist?) The whole process was bizzare and very misleading.

401 (K) Specialist (Entry Level) Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Paychex.

The hiring process consisted of a phone interview, one-on-one interview sessions, and a panel interview. I also had to take a short math test. I also interviewed in a few other departments before I got this offer. The departments that didn't take me passed on my resume to another department where they thought I would fit better. That was nice! Not too many companies do that.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate the salary. I took what was offered, which was about $25,000 in 2004. It was an entry level position in the 401(k) department.

Payroll Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Paychex.

There is an initial phone screening and you have to pass 2 tests that test general math skills and problem solving. After that there are 3 interviews. My first and 2nd interviews were back to back on the same day. First interview with one supervisor, second interview with 2 supervisors, and third interview scheduled for a later day with the manager. After that you have to pass a drug test/background check. Very involved, but they want good people

No salary negotiation

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paychex in November 2014.

Started off with a recruiter contacting me on LinkedIn. The first step after that was a phone interview which lasted about 15 minutes. After that I was asked to take a skills assessment. A few days later I was contacted again by the recruiter who set up an interview for me with their District Sales Manager. They were very flexible with the interview and the manager was able to meet me near my current employer's office. A few days have passed and I am currently still waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions
    • Role play with me how you currently try to sell you company's services.   Answer Question

Core Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paychex.

I was initially contacted by a Paychex recruiter, who contacted me for all of my interviews (4 total, including ride-a-long - which was also an interview). The process went something like this:

- Battery of Sales/personality testing (2 days total)
    - 1st Interview - Conducted by a Sales Rep who was being groomed for promotion (approx. 1 hour)
    - 2nd Interview - Ride-a-long with a top rep in the company (approx. 3-3 1/2 hours)
    - 3rd Interview - Conducted by District Manager and Sales Rep who conducted 1st interview (approx. 50 mins
    - 4th Interview - Regional Manager (approx. 50 mins)

Very professional - yet relaxed atmosphere. People seemed pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) Method questions

Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult customer and how you handled that situation - keeping in mind STAR responses.
        View Answer

Core Sales Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Paychex.

The process started with a quick phone call from the recruiter. It was followed by a test and then 2 separate interviews plus a field ride. The last step was one last interview with the zone manager.

No negotiation

Java Developer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paychex in October 2014.

I applied through my college's career site. I got an interview call within a week. The interview was on-campus. All the questions asked were basic. But there were a lot of questions: Java, SQL, behavioral. 1 week later I got the offer.

Interview Questions

I was waiting for offers from other companies and they did not provide me with an extension to accept the offer

Retirement Sales Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paychex.

I was emailed by a recruiter who had seen my resume on CareerBuilder. After speaking with her on the phone, she sent me a link to do an online assessment that took about 90 minutes. She then moved me along to a phone screening with a zone manager. He was about 10 minutes late in contacting me, but emailed me and said the recruiter had not provided him with my phone number. I emailed it to him and he called me. After speaking with him on the phone for about 30 minutes, he said he would like to get me set up with a district manager in my area for a face to face interview. He would have him contact me that day to set it up.

I didn't hear anything that day or the next 2 business days. I emailed the zone manager and received an out of office auto-reply. On the day he was back in the office he emailed me, apologizing the district manager had not been in touch, and said he would have him contact me ASAP. The following business day I was emailed by the zone manager's secretary to set up an interview with the zone manager (never did talk to elusive district manager).

Met the zone manager and spoke for approx 1 hour. The interview was laid back and went well. He asked a lot about my previous job. No situational questions or digging deep about my sales process or thinking skills. It was more getting to know me and what I had been doing for work. He arranged for me to do a ride along with a rep, who contacted me to set up the date/time, so I could see the job in action and make sure it was what I thought it was. I arrived and the rep had very little scheduled for the afternoon as most of his calls had cancelled, but we went on one call, and chatted about the job quite a bit, and I was even more excited about the job than previously. I asked him about the hiring process, and he said congrats for making it that far, that there would be one more interview then I would get a yay or nay.

I emailed the zone manager after the ride along... no reply. 3 days later I left him a message on his office phone. No reply. I checked the status of my application online and it said it was being reviewed. 2 business days later I emailed the recruiter who said he was in meetings the whole day, but she would be connecting with him the following day and would get back to me with feedback. I didn't hear anything the following day. Next day I checked the online status and it said a more qualified candidate was selected.

In a week and a half, no one could send me a generic "thanks for your interest, sorry we don't need ya" email? And why have me come out and ride around with someone if I wouldn't be interviewed again afterward? Seems like a lot of this was a waste of my time and effort, and the communication within the company regarding the hiring process is disjointed.

Client Service Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Paychex.

First, there was a phone interview. Second, there was an assessment. Third, there was a face to face interview. There was another assessment. Last, there was the interview with the manager. The whole process took about 2 weeks to complete.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss a time when you had to make a decision without consulting management.   Answer Question