Paychex

Getting the Interview

39 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Payroll Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details The interview process was one of the most thorough I have been through. Numerous phone screenings, two logic tests, and a number of in person interviews was a bit overwhelming. Be prepared for the possibility that you may have more than one interview in a day.

Interview Question – How do you handle stress?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. You will have to work to increase your pay and its not something that happens overnight.

Buffalo, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in November 2011.

Interview Details Initial interview was via phone with a member at the corporate office with very general questions. Follow up interview was about a week later with more job scenario questions and asking for details regarding my work history. From there I can in to the local office for face to face interviews. Stayed in one room and had a 4 managers come in one-by-one to ask questions. The first was an overview of my work history and each round got more job focused. The last of the four managers was the branch manager who offered me a position at the end of the interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you faced a conflict and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Rates are set.

Payroll Specialist

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details First I received an email from the recruiter, which I was skeptical about, but we set up a phone interview that week. She asked a few basic questions and set up an interview with my branch. This was the beginning of several interviews.
Everyone at the office was pleasant. They took me to a conference room where I was interviewed by two people. Then, they brought me a personality test to take, which was actually pretty lengthy. THEN, they brought in two more people, and I went through the whole thing again.

I received a call a day later to come back in and interview with two MORE people, the branch manager and assistant branch manager. I came in again, and met with them in another conference room. They asked some pretty tough questions- "Where do I see myself in 5 years", and "What am I expecting from this position" but nothing too out of the ordinary.

Interview Question – Between all 6 people there were some pretty difficult questions. They seemed to ask a lot of similar questions, and I kept feeling like I was repeating myself, answering the same question several different ways. I remember, they asked me to rank my past jobs from favorite to least favorite, which I was not expecting. They asked a lot of situational questions, how to handle escalated situations, how did you solve the problem, etc., so be prepared with stories.   Answer Question

Naperville, IL (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details I applied online and about 1 week later I received an email asking if I was interested in the position still. I replied that I was and was sent a Math test. The test is basic math and only took about 15min. After I completed the test I received another email asking if I would be interested in a phone interview. I respond and just completed that portion of the hiring process. The next step is a face to face interview with the local office. From there I was told there is going to be training for 2-3 weeks and the a "classroom" like training in Rochester, New York.

Interview Question – Be prepared to answer behavioral based questions. Remember when you answer these questions to give a specific example. Who was the person, what was the problem, how did you solve the problem? That is what they are looking for as an answer. Do not give a general answerm   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details I got lucky. When I applied they were desperate to fill the position before the last training session of the year, and they only had 3 weeks left. So instead of months of interviews and waiting, I did all my interviews in one day and was technically offered the job on the spot. (Interviews were on Friday, they don't do offers on Fridays because you only have 24 hours to do your drug test once you've received an offer, so they called me Monday morning.)

Usually it's the initial interview, then an interview with all or most of the supervisors. You are then placed with some one in the role you are applying for to watch them work and ask them questions for 15-30 mins. Then an interview with the manager of that department and lastly an interview with the branch manager.

Once hired most positions require you to go to Rochester, NY for a week or two for training.

Interview Question – Can't recall specific questions, but mostly for me the ones that ask you to point out your flaws and such.   Answer Question

San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in October 2013.

Interview Details I applied online and within a week, I received an email to take an online assessment which consisted of a math section than a verbal, I scored 95% so I got a call the next day. It was simple math, shouldn't be too hard for anyone who went to high school. I than proceeded to have a phone interview, which was basically just a run through of my resume, then a run through dog the job. After that phone interview I was invited to a face to face interview which was suppose to be with two supervisors but instead it was with the branch manager. It was a standard interview some behavioral questions, scenario questions, more info on the company and position. After this interview I was invited back to interview with the supervisors and to shadow a current employee. After shadowing the company employee I had a mini wrap up with the supervisors and the branch manager. I got a call within a few hours with a job offer.

Interview Question – Where do I see myself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told at the beginning what the range of pay was for this position, when offered the job I received the highest amount on the range so I was happy and didn't negotiate.

Brookfield, WI (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details I applied for the position online. I was contacted for a phone interview that was a bit in-depth. The interviewer was very impressed and set me up for a the skills test and face-to-face interview right away. I passed the testing and was interviewed by 2 managers, then taken on a tour of the office which included me meeting the two members of upper management. The process was pretty quick. There was about a month between me applying and my first day of work.

Interview Question – I honestly can't remember the questions. They were the standard most difficult customer, how would you handle this situation, etc..   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. the position had a set starting salary.

Stamford, CT (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details On-line skills assesment test, followed by a phone pre-screening interview where they may test you by being rude, then 3 person to person interviews (typically over a span of 3 visits) they will give you a personality test. They have a great deal of turn-over

Interview Question – Questions are typical: What to you know about us?, What is your greatest strength/weakness?, Discribe a problem you resolved., Tell us of a recent accomplishment with your current or last employer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They flat out tell you it is an entry-level position that pays $15.00 Hourly to start, with potential for growth. However, you will bleed for every additional penny.

Boston, MA (US)

Interview Details Series of 3 interviews in a week span. After my last interview I literally waited a month to hear back from them. But HR kept me in the loop the whole time with phone calls and emails in the interim.
If you research the company a bit and know how to answer basic interview questions you will be fine. It seems like they have a very long process for a $12/hour job.

Interview Question – Honestly there wasn't any. Go online and research "interview questions" and I guarantee they will ask you most of them in your interview. Very predictable. One thing they like to hear is that you work well independently and as a team.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They offered me the position and said these are the guidelines. Please let us know if you accept or decline.

Payroll Specialist

I applied online - interviewed at Paychex in June 2013.

Interview Details I applied online. Maybe 2 days later (Wednesday), I received an email from the recruiter for the western states. He asked if I was still interested, and then sent me links to 2 times tests. (Math and reasoning) After I completed the tests, he forwarded my resume to my local branch. (Tigard, OR). On Thursday, I set up an interview for Monday with the manager that called me. I went to the branch, filled out an application and had an interview with a supervisor from one of the teams. It was super laid back and not nerve racking at all. I was told I will know about the 2nd interview with a branch manager by this Thursday.

Interview Question – 'Do you have any questions for me?" As the first question.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Paychex

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!

Paychex Videos

Paychex – Why Work for Us?

Paychex, Inc. is a leading provider of payroll, human resource, and benefits outsourcing solutions for small- to medium-sized businesses. The company offers comprehensive payroll services, including payroll processing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Paychex Payroll Specialist interview questions and advice. All 39 interview reviews posted anonymously by Paychex employees and interview candidates.