Paycom

Updated 14 Dec 2014
Updated 14 Dec 2014

3.3

Corporate Recruiter Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Paycom.

Submitted my application online and received a phone call within 2 days asking me to come in for an interview. Interview went well but I didn't get a second interview. Nice people though!

Interview Questions
    • Typical interview questions. Nothing too difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

B2B Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Although I was very prepared with research going into the interview process, understanding that the interview process was very intensive and had multiple rounds, I unfortunately did not make it out of the first round. The interview was very pleasant and was just about getting to know me and why I wanted to go into sales, but ultimately they didn't move forward with me because I didn't have any sales experience. Whatever their loss.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Very standard as to why I wanted to work for Paycom.   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in September 2014.

I interviewed with this company three times within a two week period for three different jobs. Each time the recruiter called to follow up, she told me I did well and would be a good fit for the company, but they didn't know where to put me. After the third interview, I expected another call back. After a few days, I e-mailed the recruiter only to receive a generic e-mail response from a completely different account telling me I didn't get the job. I'm disappointed that not only was I falsely told I was a good fit, but that the recruiter didn't even bother to call or e-mail me after the third interview. It's better to at least know you didn't get a job than to sit around wondering what happened.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parsippany, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parsippany, NJ (US)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Paycom in September 2014.

Recruiters walk you through the process as do the managers. It is easy to get hired if you have half a brain and you can convince people you are willing to work ridiculous hours and hit quotas no matter what it takes.

Interview Questions

Ignore the recruiters and the managers because they are the ones that stand to make money if you get hired. Here is the deal. If you have a fluid life, and are willing to relocate thousands of miles away, feel free to work here. All reviews about crazy hours, no time off, but incredible compensation is true. However, do not plan to stay put in your current location. Once succeed for a few years you will be asked to relocate to manage an office. If you decline, your next option will be to travel for weeks/months on end to territories outside of your current state for sales work. If you refuse that, good luck keeping your job. People that do not move up to manager, and refuse to travel, will definately be let go. Don't believe me? Go on Linkedin and try to find sales reps or exec reps that remained employed in their original location for more than 5 years. 870 employees and you may find 1 or 2 existing exec reps that were not let go or did not move on. Why do they do this? Well to start, you make 50k. In a few years? 120k! Why pay someone triple the pay for cold calling and canvassing when you can use your world renowned training to get young employees up to speed quickly and pay 50k for similar results. It's all about profit margins people. If you are looking for job security, longevity in your current location, look elsewhere.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom.

Interviewing with Paycom was timely and efficient. I spoke to a recruiter by phone, and sent her my resume. She had me apply online, and then I was scheduled to interview with the Sales Manager the next week. From there I interviewed with the Regional Manager. The last step in the interview is the phone canvass session. I think it's great that phone-canvassing is apart of the interview, it gives people a sneak peak at what a job with Paycom would be like.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was probably phone canvass session just because it was not something I had ever done before. But they prep you, and it's more of a mental test seeing how you are able to adapt and roll with it.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in August 2014.

I want to start off by saying this is an excellent opportunity, if you can get through the interview process. I initially applied to the position but did not hear back right away. I was called about a month afterwards, and the voicemail was their HR Recruiter asking me to call them back. When I did, they pretty much immediately started an interview, asking a few basic questions. They then informed me they were going to schedule me to meet with the Sales Manager. They provided me with the information via phone and email, along with tips and information about the company as well as videos explaining their product. I came in one morning for the interview, about fifteen minutes early, and waited until about fifteen minutes after the original scheduled time. I expected this, as I had already read that they had their sales meeting that morning. The manager, after the meeting, immediately approached me and brought me into the office for the interview, which was about a half hour to fourty five minutes long. Typical interview, hardest question asked why I think I'm different than all of the other people that come in. After closing the interview asking what I needed to do next, and what the next step was, I was granted the chance to come in for a phone canvassing session. I was contacted by the HR Recruiter again, and he gave me the details, and also asked how the interview went. This time around, the email he provided had considerably less information. When I came in for the phone canvassing session, I sat down with all of the current sales reps and they shared information about themselves. Everyone there was very friendly. They also did some role-playing, and had me join in to warm up. They sat me down at a desk and gave me basic instructions, and let me get to it. I was asked to schedule 3 appointments within about a four hour period of time. They provided me with a list of leads to call, and a computer to use if necessary. I was not able to schedule all three appointments, but the Sales Manager indicated that they would look into the potential for me to continue. I was informed via email a few days later that they were moving on without me. POSITIVES: Everyone in the process was very friendly, helpful, and were genuinely interested in providing me with the best opportunity. The opportunity itself is there, as the product they are selling is ACTUALLY something beneficial, and can legitimately help the customers. NEGATIVES: The phone canvassing session may be a test of skill on the phone and ability to adapt, but no one is sitting with you when you're doing the calls, so how can they see if you are adapting, learning, and changing what you're doing? Also, when you only get to voicemails, it isn't possible to meet the goal. There is no point in wasting time leaving voicemails, because you don't know if you're coming back. The other issue is that they provide you with tons of information on Paycom earlier in the process, as well as some basic scripts to help during the phone session, BUT it doesn't help with objections you end up getting. Sales is obviously alot of "No's" before you get a "Maybe" or a "Yes". During the phone cavassing session, I noticed that only one person who worked there (and was trained) scheduled three or more appointments. Everyone else had two, one, or even none and they had already been trained and made knowledgable of the products. Having someone come in for a phone canvassing session MAY show you their potential, but testing someone on phones like that creates some very uncontrollable factors, and isn't a fair measurable test when the ONLY thing observied is the appointments set. That being said, I would like to mention, again, that I enjoyed myself during the process, and while it's unfortunate I did not continue through the process, I was treated very fairly, and very openly. Thank you for the opportunity, Paycom; I appreciate it!

Interview Questions
    • It was not a question, but the situation with the phone canvassing. Be prepared as much as you possibly can.   Answer Question

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Paycom.

I was contacted by a Paycom recruiter and after speaking with him on the phone, I was set up with a first round interview. This was a webinar with the office manager for my specific location. Very simple and straightforward interview. The second interview was with the regional VP, which was a bit more difficult than the first. After being approved by the VP, I was invited into their office for a 4 hour prospecting session (cold calling and booking appointments). I ended up declining the offer to go in for the prospecting session.

Interview Questions
    • What experiences have set you up for a successful career at Paycom?   Answer Question
    • What have you been doing in the past few months to help you succeed in this role?   Answer Question

I didn't formally get an offer letter, but I ended up declining an offer to go in for the prospecting session. I did this because I received an offer from a different company.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom.

The interview process is very in depth. It involved being contacted for an initial meet and greet. Then from they might ask for another meeting and ask more in depth about the job. At another point you have to come in a take a typing test and a math type quiz.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paycom.

Phone interview, manger interview, regional manager interview, executive interview. Manager canceled my first interview the day of about an hour before the interview because they had to go on a sales call. I was not happy about that since I lived an hour and a half away from the interview site and felt it was extremely unprofessional that someone from corporate called me to cancel with only an hour of lead time. The manager didn't even call to cancel and reschedule and apologize. Second interview was via webcam, final was in person. Standard interview questions and process.

Interview Questions
    They will not negotiate anything - not even vacation time or a signing bonus.

Paycom Response

Jul 22, 2014Representative

Thank you for the feedback. We value your time and are very sorry to hear of your experience. We will use your feedback as a means to improve the recruiting process.

Outside Sales Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in July 2014.

The interviewer was nice, but seemed to be very tense. She didn't ask me any difficult questions. We spent about 45 minutes talking. Paycom wants to see that you are really into sales and have a background of customer service or sales. It wasn't stressful. I saw many young people working in the office. I had impression that the company is not hiring people older than 30.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were easy. For example: "Where do you want to be in five years?" or "Why do you want to work for us?".   View Answer