Paycom

Relevance Date Difficulty

Payroll Specialist Interview

Payroll Specialist
Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details The process was quick and seemed smooth and simple, however when it came to receiving word back about whether or not I had received the job, the recruiter that had been working with me avoided my calls and did not reply to my emails. Then, in the end, I received a rejection via automated email. This was after an online application, having my resume referred by a family friend within the company, a phone/screening interview, and two in-person interviews -- the second of which the interviewer spent the majority of the interview assuring me that they company saw me as a great asset with high test scores, good interviewing skills, and a great educational background, though they feared I might be overqualified. I was told quote,"We wouldn't want to lose you to another employer." I find it a bit disingenuous after being later rejected and told from my friend within the company that ultimately I wasn't given the job because they felt I was too quiet.

Interview Question – We believe you may be overqualified. How would you respond to that?   Answer Question

Paycom Response

Mar 18, 2014Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We will definitely review with our in-house team and agency partners the process for notifying candidates when decisions are made. We respect each of our candidates time ... More

Outside Sales Consultant Interview

Outside Sales Consultant
Troy, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in January 2014.

Interview Details The process first began with an phone screening process that was relatively basic. They went over past work experiences, education, etc. The next step was a one on one interview with the district manager. This was laid back and she asked some simple questions about where you want to be in 5 years, what you are looking for in a position, what are the three most important things in your life, etc. Then a phone canvassing session in which you needed to set up 3 appointments to move on. The first time I did not meet the requirement but they asked me to come back for another time. The second time I could not stay for the full 4 hours, unfortunately, and only set up one appointment. After that I was not asked back for the next step. Still, it was great experience, I learned a lot and it helped me land a different sales position with one of Paycom biggest competitors!

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult to answer. During the phone canvassing session try to sell yourself and not the product as best as you can. That was my ultimate downfall. I did not feel comfortable selling a product I did not know.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in February 2014.

Interview Details The most difficult part of this interview was a phone interview, then taking 3 tests online, then taking another test onsite, then having an in person interview. I was told I should hear by the end of the week. I never heard back. Not even an email.

Interview Question – The questions were simple and extremely typical of an interview.   Answer Question

Paycom Response

Mar 18, 2014Representative

I'm sorry to hear you have not heard back following your interview. Please reach out to your recruiter or staffing agency.

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details Very impressive process that revealed they make sure they have the right fit before extending an offer. Started the process with a recruiter who screened me thoroughly before setting up a phone screen with the local sales manager. After passing, I met the sales manager for an in-person interview, and afterward met the rest of the team in the office. The next interview was with the regional VP of Sales who was young but sharp as a tack. After passing that stage I was invited to a "phone canvassing" session which basically is a try-out to see if you have what it takes to cut it. This also provides you with an opportunity to determine for yourself whether or not this is the job for you. The goal is setting 3 appointments within a 5 hour period. If you pass the phone canvassing session you then meet with the CSO for a final screen. If this goes well, you'll most likely get an offer.

Interview Question – The phone canvassing session was one of the most incredible interview experiences ever. It made the job palpable in ways that talking over a resume never could be possible. It took me a while to get my first appointment, but I remained calm and was able to hit them.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in January 2014.

Interview Details I contacted a recruiter about the position and was told that I had a solid background for the position and setup an in-person interview at the office in Chicago with the Sales Manager. My first interview was straight forward, pretty basic questions. Tell me about a time... Why are you a good fit for Paycom?

Made it to the second round and had a webcam interview with the regional sales manager. Much more thorough of an interview, really checking to see why you want to sell payroll and work for them. I sold myself and was moved on to a phone canvassing session back in the Chicago office.

I showed up on a Friday morning for a 4 hour cold calling session. You are given a list of numbers to call, a brief script to practice with prior and left to your own devices. They expect you to land 3 confirmed appointments in 4 hours, which is incredibly difficult in that industry. I went on to cold call and land THREE appointments in the allotted time.

The recruiter reached out to me a few days later and told me they were going with someone else. I recommend following up and really getting to know the people in the office you visit as best you can. I feel like they have a strong influence on your hiring managers decision.

Interview Question – Why do you want to sell payroll?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Sales Executive Interview

Sales Executive

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in December 2013.

Interview Details Initially you will be contacted by a recruiter or you can do what I did and call the recruiter directly. They look over your resume and they have you apply online. Based on your answers online you will be classified into how interested they are in you. If you are what they are looking for they will have you interview with a local office manager. If that goes well you will interview with a regional. If you pass that they will bring you in for a phone canvassing trial. They give you 4 hours to set 3 appointments cold calling. Just keep calm and don't get stressed or anxious, if you are decent on the phone you shouldn't have any issues. If you pass this phase you will interview with the Chief Sales Officer and he will give his recommendation. If all of this goes well you have to pass a background check that includes DMV driving record, drug screening, felony check and don't lie on your resume because they will check all of that. It's a pretty in depth process but if you get the job you know you a qualified employee and they want to invest in you and watch you unleash your potential.

Interview Question – Are you excited about earning a 50,000 salary fresh out of college? Would you be happy earning 50,000 your first year? A lot of our reps here at Paycom make over 100,000 their first year and the following years they make 300,000 and above. If you're content making 50,000 a year how do we know you will have the ambition and drive to work hard enough to make 100,00 and beyond?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The salary was already stated so i didn't negotiate salary.

Very Difficult Interview

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Paycom in April 2013.

Interview Details Interview process is extremely thorough, but well worth it for the caliber of job duties and people you'll be working around. Paycom hires some outstanding individuals and they have the ability to do so because the rewards are great. There were approximately 6 steps in the process: An initial phone screen with a recruiter, an interview with the hiring manager, a second interview with a regional manager, a ride-along with your potential team, a phone-canvassing session in which you must demonstrate that you can successfully set three appointments, and then a final interview with a C-Level exec.

The process is very intense, and you may move forward in the process to the next level in the same day if you do well. Overall the process moves very quickly. The recruiter I had, Kathryn, was amazing, and did an excellent job of preparing me for each and every step.

Overall this was a great interview process!

Interview Question – I came in under an unusual career change for this position, so my most difficult questions came out of how I might have prepared myself for the position, having not come from a sales background. Be ready for this. They want to make sure you have prepared well in your time leading up to the possibility of stepping into a very challenging position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Outside Sales Consultant Interview

Outside Sales Consultant
Philadelphia, PA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Paycom in February 2014.

Interview Details Interview went pretty well, I had thought. The interviewer did seem to rush through the questions a little bit, and maybe that was because she made her mind up pretty hastily. I mentioned that I wanted to work in order to make money and be able to do things, and I think she took my use of the phrase "work/life balance" to mean that I wanted a ton of vacation time. If I were to guess, that misunderstanding would be why I didn't get a second interview.

Interview Question – Probably when she asked me if I was prepared to work more than forty hours a week, just because I would have thought that my previous answers made it clear that I was.   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details Submitted resume and application in response to an advertisement for job opening. I then received a phone call to come in for an open interview/job fair type hiring process. I was interviewed by a H.R. person in an informal, casual atmosphere where they just kind of go over the basics with you and determine your interest level and qualification level. At that time I was advised that they would be narrowing down the group for final selection and that I would receive a call within a week if I was chosen for the next round of interviews but I did not hear from them again. I assume it was because I lacked enough experience.

However the experience was very nice and professional and casual so there was no feeling of pressure or nervousness.

Interview Question – I did not think any of the questions were difficult or unexpected. At this level of interview, the questions were very generalized.   Answer Question

B2B Sales Representative Interview

B2B Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paycom in October 2013.

Interview Details First of all you get a dedicated recruiter who truly cares about you and getting you to the next step; Kelsey was a rock star! Once you passed the recruiters initial questions there were 3 additional interviews, along with a phone canvassing session. Kelsey called me between each phase, answered all the questions I could possibly think of and would prepare me in any way possible. The 3 interviews were broken down by Manager, Regional and Chief Sales Officer. Each interviewer had their own style of questioning but answered all the questions I had, honestly! Also during this process it is a two way street, they are interviewing you but you are also interviewing them. Every person I met with did a fantastic job of being open and honest about the position and what to expect.

Interview Question – Why can't you fail?   Answer Question