Paycom

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

3.4

Outside Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Troy, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in January 2014.

The process first began with an phone screening process that was relatively basic. They went over past work experiences, education, etc. The next step was a one on one interview with the district manager. This was laid back and she asked some simple questions about where you want to be in 5 years, what you are looking for in a position, what are the three most important things in your life, etc. Then a phone canvassing session in which you needed to set up 3 appointments to move on. The first time I did not meet the requirement but they asked me to come back for another time. The second time I could not stay for the full 4 hours, unfortunately, and only set up one appointment. After that I was not asked back for the next step. Still, it was great experience, I learned a lot and it helped me land a different sales position with one of Paycom biggest competitors!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult to answer. During the phone canvassing session try to sell yourself and not the product as best as you can. That was my ultimate downfall. I did not feel comfortable selling a product I did not know.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in February 2014.

The most difficult part of this interview was a phone interview, then taking 3 tests online, then taking another test onsite, then having an in person interview. I was told I should hear by the end of the week. I never heard back. Not even an email.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were simple and extremely typical of an interview.   Answer Question

Paycom Response

Mar 18, 2014Representative

I'm sorry to hear you have not heard back following your interview. Please reach out to your recruiter or staffing agency.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paycom.

Very impressive process that revealed they make sure they have the right fit before extending an offer. Started the process with a recruiter who screened me thoroughly before setting up a phone screen with the local sales manager. After passing, I met the sales manager for an in-person interview, and afterward met the rest of the team in the office. The next interview was with the regional VP of Sales who was young but sharp as a tack. After passing that stage I was invited to a "phone canvassing" session which basically is a try-out to see if you have what it takes to cut it. This also provides you with an opportunity to determine for yourself whether or not this is the job for you. The goal is setting 3 appointments within a 5 hour period. If you pass the phone canvassing session you then meet with the CSO for a final screen. If this goes well, you'll most likely get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The phone canvassing session was one of the most incredible interview experiences ever. It made the job palpable in ways that talking over a resume never could be possible. It took me a while to get my first appointment, but I remained calm and was able to hit them.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in January 2014.

I contacted a recruiter about the position and was told that I had a solid background for the position and setup an in-person interview at the office in Chicago with the Sales Manager. My first interview was straight forward, pretty basic questions. Tell me about a time... Why are you a good fit for Paycom?

Made it to the second round and had a webcam interview with the regional sales manager. Much more thorough of an interview, really checking to see why you want to sell payroll and work for them. I sold myself and was moved on to a phone canvassing session back in the Chicago office.

I showed up on a Friday morning for a 4 hour cold calling session. You are given a list of numbers to call, a brief script to practice with prior and left to your own devices. They expect you to land 3 confirmed appointments in 4 hours, which is incredibly difficult in that industry. I went on to cold call and land THREE appointments in the allotted time.

The recruiter reached out to me a few days later and told me they were going with someone else. I recommend following up and really getting to know the people in the office you visit as best you can. I feel like they have a strong influence on your hiring managers decision.

Sales Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in December 2013.

Initially you will be contacted by a recruiter or you can do what I did and call the recruiter directly. They look over your resume and they have you apply online. Based on your answers online you will be classified into how interested they are in you. If you are what they are looking for they will have you interview with a local office manager. If that goes well you will interview with a regional. If you pass that they will bring you in for a phone canvassing trial. They give you 4 hours to set 3 appointments cold calling. Just keep calm and don't get stressed or anxious, if you are decent on the phone you shouldn't have any issues. If you pass this phase you will interview with the Chief Sales Officer and he will give his recommendation. If all of this goes well you have to pass a background check that includes DMV driving record, drug screening, felony check and don't lie on your resume because they will check all of that. It's a pretty in depth process but if you get the job you know you a qualified employee and they want to invest in you and watch you unleash your potential.

Interview Questions
    • Are you excited about earning a 50,000 salary fresh out of college? Would you be happy earning 50,000 your first year? A lot of our reps here at Paycom make over 100,000 their first year and the following years they make 300,000 and above. If you're content making 50,000 a year how do we know you will have the ambition and drive to work hard enough to make 100,00 and beyond?   View Answer
    The salary was already stated so i didn't negotiate salary.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Paycom in April 2013.

Interview process is extremely thorough, but well worth it for the caliber of job duties and people you'll be working around. Paycom hires some outstanding individuals and they have the ability to do so because the rewards are great. There were approximately 6 steps in the process: An initial phone screen with a recruiter, an interview with the hiring manager, a second interview with a regional manager, a ride-along with your potential team, a phone-canvassing session in which you must demonstrate that you can successfully set three appointments, and then a final interview with a C-Level exec.

The process is very intense, and you may move forward in the process to the next level in the same day if you do well. Overall the process moves very quickly. The recruiter I had, Kathryn, was amazing, and did an excellent job of preparing me for each and every step.

Overall this was a great interview process!

Interview Questions
    • I came in under an unusual career change for this position, so my most difficult questions came out of how I might have prepared myself for the position, having not come from a sales background. Be ready for this. They want to make sure you have prepared well in your time leading up to the possibility of stepping into a very challenging position.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Outside Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Paycom in February 2014.

Interview went pretty well, I had thought. The interviewer did seem to rush through the questions a little bit, and maybe that was because she made her mind up pretty hastily. I mentioned that I wanted to work in order to make money and be able to do things, and I think she took my use of the phrase "work/life balance" to mean that I wanted a ton of vacation time. If I were to guess, that misunderstanding would be why I didn't get a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Probably when she asked me if I was prepared to work more than forty hours a week, just because I would have thought that my previous answers made it clear that I was.   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom.

Submitted resume and application in response to an advertisement for job opening. I then received a phone call to come in for an open interview/job fair type hiring process. I was interviewed by a H.R. person in an informal, casual atmosphere where they just kind of go over the basics with you and determine your interest level and qualification level. At that time I was advised that they would be narrowing down the group for final selection and that I would receive a call within a week if I was chosen for the next round of interviews but I did not hear from them again. I assume it was because I lacked enough experience.

However the experience was very nice and professional and casual so there was no feeling of pressure or nervousness.

Interview Questions
    • I did not think any of the questions were difficult or unexpected. At this level of interview, the questions were very generalized.   Answer Question

B2B Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paycom in October 2013.

First of all you get a dedicated recruiter who truly cares about you and getting you to the next step; Kelsey was a rock star! Once you passed the recruiters initial questions there were 3 additional interviews, along with a phone canvassing session. Kelsey called me between each phase, answered all the questions I could possibly think of and would prepare me in any way possible. The 3 interviews were broken down by Manager, Regional and Chief Sales Officer. Each interviewer had their own style of questioning but answered all the questions I had, honestly! Also during this process it is a two way street, they are interviewing you but you are also interviewing them. Every person I met with did a fantastic job of being open and honest about the position and what to expect.

Human Resources Generalist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Paycom.

The hiring and interview process was seamless and a great insight to company culture and expectations. The process was difficult only leaving the best of the best.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the process was the multiple in-depth interviews. All questions in general were more difficult that other interviews.   Answer Question