Peace Corps

Updated 30 Jan 2015
Updated 30 Jan 2015

2.8

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

After sending my application materials through the online platform, I was contacted about an on-campus interview with the university Peace Corps recruiter. She was a returned volunteer, and she was very helpful answering my questions with stories of her own during the interview. The questions she asked me were sometimes repetitive (e.g., describe hardest situation, describe situation that frustrated me, describe situation where I didn't think I'd succeed, etc.). Having served in the Peace Corps since the interview, I understand why these questions are necessary, but sometimes they made the interview difficult because I wanted to come up with new examples for each question. After the interview, Peace Corps has to analyze all of the application materials and the interview recommendations. That part of the process takes the longest amount of time. If you've had medical procedures, it'll probably take even longer. Then, you receive a packet in the mail that has all of the information in it--where you're going, what the country is like, what volunteers there do, what kind of volunteer you'll be, what to buy, when you'll leave, how to deal with culture shock, etc. From then, you'll have about a week to decide if you're going or not. I went. Greatest decision of my life.

Interview Questions
    • Has there ever been a time when you thought you should quit something?   View Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

I went through the process with the old system and have heard that it has changed significantly since, but my experience was pretty straightforward. I applied online, an interview was requested at the regional office, I had my interview and was told i would be nominated. We looked through the openings and didn't see one that matched my skills and experiences so we waited a few weeks. Finally, something came up that felt right so my interviewer (former PCV) nominated me for that program (it was very vague at that stage- sustainable agriculture volunteer in latin america), I began the paperwork (medical clearance, background check, etc) and had to wait a few months for all of that to get processed. Finally, after 6 months (I applied July 09)I was sent an invitation (December 09) to be a Sustainable Agribusiness Volunteer in Ecuador leaving February 2010.

Interview Questions
    • There were a lot of "how would you react in this situation" questions. The interviewers are all Returned Peace Corps Volunteers themselves so they have first hand knowledge of the experiences and what kind of person would make a good volunteer, so most of the questions are aimed at getting to the bottom of that aspect.   Answer Question
    I accepted the offer and packed my bags and left for 2.5 years a couple months later.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

My recruiter literally walked through the questions listed on the Peace Corps Wiki website, word for word. Since I had found the list of questions prior to my interview, I was able to prepare adequately. I highly recommend everyone checking out this website in preparation for your Peace Corps interview. Also, it's a very good list to help you mentally prepare for your service. The full list of questions can be found on the Peace Corps Wiki site under Interview Questions.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell me about a time when you worked in an unstructured or ambiguous situation? How did you approach the task at hand? What did you learn about your personal strengths from that experience?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Standard interview process. However, due to the work and nature of the Peace Corps, I recommend describing your background in a way that presents you as worldly. This can be achieved through remarks about an experience in a culture different from your own, extensive traveling, or knowledge you have about another country--particularly those of the global South.

Interview Questions
    • All questions are fairly straight forward. You won’t find any curveballs with PC.   Answer Question

TEFL Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Takes nine months. Several phone/ Skype interviews. Dental and medical examinations are overly thorough and tedious. If you don't want to be sent in the sector they recommend you for, stand up for yourself and lobby your case.

Interview Questions
    • All typical questions you would expect. A lot about why you want to be in Peace Corps. Its frowned upon to have a serious relationship prior to joining.   Answer Question
    N/A

Peace Corps Response Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The interview was more behavioral than skills based. Peace Corps has a number of candidates that fit their skills needs, what they need is, "Are you going to last two years?" and will you fit the "Peace Corps Corps Values?" Research behavioral questions online and practice your responses, also explain in how previous experience in the field or job matches.

Volunteer Interview

Interview process took about a year to complete, including over the phone talks and medical reviews. I would suggest working with the Peace Corps recruiter in your area to prepare as well as answer any questions you have about service and working with the Peace Corps.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The process took about a year. After a long application, they called a couple months later to confirm that I still interested. A month later they called and requested more hands on experience. As I gained hands on experience for the next year they periodically called to see what I have been doing. 7 months after I submitted the application they requested an in-person interview.

The interview was about an hour long with questions more focused on if I was ready to make a 2 year commitment rather how could I use my skills in the field. Questions such as "Would I be alright on a very limited diet?" "How would I feel about living in harsh conditions?"

About a 1 1/2 after the interview they called and said they have a site chosen for me and that I would be sent to this country in 2 months. The would not tell me the on country, only the continent. I agreed and never looked back.

Great experience all around. The process may be long but I heard it is a lot faster and you can select your country now. Every Peace Corps employee was kind and attentive. Looking for a way to make a difference in the lives of many and experience a culture through in depth immersion? Peace Corps may be for you.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took a year or moreinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Intense. Starts with a written application. Some applicants get phone interviews. Then an in person interview while the interviewer writes every word you say (be prepared to dictate your thoughts.) Strict health review. If you're an interesting, healthy person you have nothing to worry about during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   View Answer
    Here's a contract. You game?

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Was very laborious when I applied in 2007, but now it is automated and waaaaaaay easier. I believe now you can select where you want to serve and what type of project you are interested in.

Interview Questions
    • They ask a lot of personal questions - relationship, drug/alcohol use, etc.   Answer Question