Peace Corps

Updated 25 Nov 2014
Updated 25 Nov 2014

2.8

Regional Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Situational interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you respond to someone who asks if Peace Corps is dangerous?   Answer Question
    Federal salaries are nonn-negotiable unless you've previously held a federal position at a higher pay rate.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

I applied online, received a packet of info to fill out. Completed this over a long time frame (medical evaluations). Called in for interview and told I was in before it was over

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2013.

After submitting my application with references, I was contacted by a regional recruiter to set up an interview time. The office was tucked away into the side of a really upscale building complete with security guard, fountain, and glass doors. The clerk at the front desk and the recruiter were an absolute pleasure to talk to, and I didn't feel uncomfortable about any part of the process. The only thing to prepare for is an interview that can last upwards of 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an ambiguous or unstructured situation you've been in. How did you work through it?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The hiring process was rigorous. There was an extensive essay process, in person interview, and a lengthy medical and legal check.

Interview Questions
    • Being asked about gender issues and how I'd feel living in countries with differing gender roles.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The application can be a very lengthy and tiring process. It included several pages of information, ranging from detailed health information to personal information to work and education details. You will have a several hour interview if your application is up to par, where they will discuss possible placement areas and your willingness to accept these areas. You will then have to get detailed(and very annoying) health check-ups and dental check-ups before being cleared for a position.

Interview Questions
    • They mostly concentrate on your cross-cultural skills, asking about situations where you were exposed to different cultures and how you responded.   Answer Question

Public Health Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

After attending several recruiting events, I completed an online application. I was then contacted by a regional recruiter, who I interviewed with in person. The recruiter helped me to determine what type of volunteer I should be given my education and background, and approved my application for placement. I then waited several weeks to hear from PCHQ--I received my invitation a month before I departed.

Interview Questions
    • How will you deal with the stress of cultural challenges and the difficulty of the Peace Corps lifestyle?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The interview lasted much longer than the recruiter had initially predicted -- over 3 hours! She would ask the same questions multiple times in slightly different ways: how you handle alone time; discuss a time you were frustrated (it was that unspecific); discuss a time when you had to teach someone something.

Interview Questions
    • None of it was very difficult; perhaps the most personal was a question about a time when I didn't agree with a rule.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I went to a campus event at my college, got all the information I needed and filled out an application. After that was finished, I had an interview with the campus Peace Corps recruiter, which took about 2 hours. The interview wasn't very difficult, the questions were mostly focused on getting to know me and whether I was ready to spend 2+ years living in another country.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember: again, the interview wasn't difficult or especially probing: just be yourself.   Answer Question

Community and Business Development Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

You basically go through a long process that really shouldn't be that long but it is because your working with a Government Organization.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult really, questions regarding where and how have you dealt with other cultures before.   Answer Question

Agriculture Volunteer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview was long and had a lot of hard questions. Prepare by going over what you want to tell the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a rule that you disagreed with. What did you do about it?   Answer Question
    Nothing is negotiable. Every volunteer in the country gets the same salary. You're given a country and if you decline, you might not get another offer.