Peace Corps

51 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Public Health Volunteer Interview

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details After attending several recruiting events, I completed an online application. I was then contacted by a regional recruiter, who I interviewed with in person. The recruiter helped me to determine what type of volunteer I should be given my education and background, and approved my application for placement. I then waited several weeks to hear from PCHQ--I received my invitation a month before I departed.

Interview Question – How will you deal with the stress of cultural challenges and the difficulty of the Peace Corps lifestyle?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details The interview lasted much longer than the recruiter had initially predicted -- over 3 hours! She would ask the same questions multiple times in slightly different ways: how you handle alone time; discuss a time you were frustrated (it was that unspecific); discuss a time when you had to teach someone something.

Interview Question – None of it was very difficult; perhaps the most personal was a question about a time when I didn't agree with a rule.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Peace Corps

Interview Details I went to a campus event at my college, got all the information I needed and filled out an application. After that was finished, I had an interview with the campus Peace Corps recruiter, which took about 2 hours. The interview wasn't very difficult, the questions were mostly focused on getting to know me and whether I was ready to spend 2+ years living in another country.

Interview Question – Don't remember: again, the interview wasn't difficult or especially probing: just be yourself.   Answer Question

Community and Business Development Volunteer Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details You basically go through a long process that really shouldn't be that long but it is because your working with a Government Organization.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult really, questions regarding where and how have you dealt with other cultures before.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteers Interview

Washington, DC (US)

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Interview Details Interview was long due to questions and placement (decision was essentially made that day). Interviewer had taken his position after returning from PC service and also participating in on campus recruiting events - made me feel comfortable and at ease. Waiting 8 months to get my invitation letter to leave just 2 months later.

Interview Question – How I would deal with feeling isolated   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Recommended for Spanish speaking country and Community Health - felt I had little flexibility to ask for Africa region.

Ithaca, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in April 2010.

Interview Details You will do the initial online application, submitting your resume, essays, and additional information, plus have to get 3 letters of recommendation submitted.

Later, you will be contacted by a regional recruiter who will do an in person interview. A lot of the questions are about your background, why you are interested in joining the Peace Corps, your thoughts on living abroad, volunteer service, etc. Pretty basic. I was asked to describe a lot about my previous abroad experience, and also a lot about my background in health (I said I wanted to be a health volunteer). They ask you several times about your commitment to serve abroad, away from family and friends, for such an extended amount of time.

If you do well on the interview, you will be nominated for a position, and then you have to pass medical and security/background clearance. Make sure you do all your appointments as quickly as possible and submit everything as soon as possible so your application can keep rolling. A lot of people get stumped here. It's easy to get done, you just need to turn everything in without errors, and follow up with the DC office often.

Interview Question – I was asked to describe a time where I didn't agree with a situation, but felt I could not do anything about it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Obviously you don't negotiate salary with Peace Corps, but sometimes you can negotiate where you go/when you leave... although I don't recommend it because they most likely won't do it and it will make you look worse.

Agriculture Volunteer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details Interview was long and had a lot of hard questions. Prepare by going over what you want to tell the interviewer.

Interview Question – Give an example of a rule that you disagreed with. What did you do about it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing is negotiable. Every volunteer in the country gets the same salary. You're given a country and if you decline, you might not get another offer.

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details After your application is submitted, you will be asked a brief health questionnaire. Then you will have an interview (phone or in person) then a background and medical check. Once everything is clear then you will be placed to a specific country. Typically it takes six months but it could take up to 2 years.

Interview Question – A lot of situational questions, describe a time when you had to teach someone something, describe a time when you didn't agree with someone, how did you handle that situation? Describe a time when you were uncomfortable/ unfamiliar with something, how did you handle it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – there is no negotiation phase, you either accept your country invitation or you don't. If you decline twice, you are no longer considered.

Interviewed at Peace Corps

Interview Details The interview was in a college recruiter's office. It took almost an hour and most of the questions were behavioral type. He then had me rank how willing I would be to adapt to certain situations I might encounter for example bucket bathing, having to walk/bike long distances to get to my job, dressing modestly even in a hot climate where the people were extremely conservative etc....

Interview Question – If you have a boyfriend/girlfriend and how they feel about you leaving?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Peace Corps in September 2009.

Interview Details You can check the website for a detailed explanation of hiring process. It is extensive and took me over a year from the submission of my application to actually getting into my assigned country. The interview seemed laid back and the questions were mostly about leadership, cross cultural experiences/sensitivity and you also have the chance to ask the recruiter any questions. They also ask you if there is any reason you would need to come home or quit before the 27 month contract is over.

Interview Question – Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   View Answer