Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated 19 Sep 2014
Updated 19 Sep 2014

2.7

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

The application can be a very lengthy and tiring process. It included several pages of information, ranging from detailed health information to personal information to work and education details. You will have a several hour interview if your application is up to par, where they will discuss possible placement areas and your willingness to accept these areas. You will then have to get detailed(and very annoying) health check-ups and dental check-ups before being cleared for a position.

Interview Questions
    • They mostly concentrate on your cross-cultural skills, asking about situations where you were exposed to different cultures and how you responded.   Answer Question

Public Health Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

After attending several recruiting events, I completed an online application. I was then contacted by a regional recruiter, who I interviewed with in person. The recruiter helped me to determine what type of volunteer I should be given my education and background, and approved my application for placement. I then waited several weeks to hear from PCHQ--I received my invitation a month before I departed.

Interview Questions
    • How will you deal with the stress of cultural challenges and the difficulty of the Peace Corps lifestyle?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Peace Corps.

The interview lasted much longer than the recruiter had initially predicted -- over 3 hours! She would ask the same questions multiple times in slightly different ways: how you handle alone time; discuss a time you were frustrated (it was that unspecific); discuss a time when you had to teach someone something.

Interview Questions
    • None of it was very difficult; perhaps the most personal was a question about a time when I didn't agree with a rule.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I went to a campus event at my college, got all the information I needed and filled out an application. After that was finished, I had an interview with the campus Peace Corps recruiter, which took about 2 hours. The interview wasn't very difficult, the questions were mostly focused on getting to know me and whether I was ready to spend 2+ years living in another country.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember: again, the interview wasn't difficult or especially probing: just be yourself.   Answer Question

Community and Business Development Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

You basically go through a long process that really shouldn't be that long but it is because your working with a Government Organization.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult really, questions regarding where and how have you dealt with other cultures before.   Answer Question

Agriculture Volunteer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview was long and had a lot of hard questions. Prepare by going over what you want to tell the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a rule that you disagreed with. What did you do about it?   Answer Question
    Nothing is negotiable. Every volunteer in the country gets the same salary. You're given a country and if you decline, you might not get another offer.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

After your application is submitted, you will be asked a brief health questionnaire. Then you will have an interview (phone or in person) then a background and medical check. Once everything is clear then you will be placed to a specific country. Typically it takes six months but it could take up to 2 years.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of situational questions, describe a time when you had to teach someone something, describe a time when you didn't agree with someone, how did you handle that situation? Describe a time when you were uncomfortable/ unfamiliar with something, how did you handle it?   View Answer
    there is no negotiation phase, you either accept your country invitation or you don't. If you decline twice, you are no longer considered.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

The interview was in a college recruiter's office. It took almost an hour and most of the questions were behavioral type. He then had me rank how willing I would be to adapt to certain situations I might encounter for example bucket bathing, having to walk/bike long distances to get to my job, dressing modestly even in a hot climate where the people were extremely conservative etc....

Interview Questions
    • If you have a boyfriend/girlfriend and how they feel about you leaving?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 10 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in February 2013.

You apply to PC online and then receive multiple phone interviews/medical clearances. After about 6 months, you are offered a site (country)/position and you can either decline or accept. If you accept, it will be about another 4-5 months before departure.

Interview Questions
    • In the interview, they want to make sure you're cut out for living (and succeeding) in a new culture and communicating in a different language for two years. Have specific examples prepared to prove you have what it takes.   Answer Question

Department: Director of Programming and Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Apply on line - process takes 2-6 months. Security background check takes av. 6 weeks additional.

Interview Questions
    • Hiring is often done by the Country Director of the post in question - they may involve some members of their staff in the telephone interview. There tend to be many "scenario" questions - usually about three.   Answer Question