Peace Corps Peace Corps Volunteer Interview Questions

Updated 8 Apr 2015

2.7

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Chapel Hill, NC (US)).

Interview

After sending my application materials through the online platform, I was contacted about an on-campus interview with the university Peace Corps recruiter. She was a returned volunteer, and she was very helpful answering my questions with stories of her own during the interview. The questions she asked me were sometimes repetitive (e.g., describe hardest situation, describe situation that frustrated me, describe situation where I didn't think I'd succeed, etc.). Having served in the Peace Corps since the interview, I understand why these questions are necessary, but sometimes they made the interview difficult because I wanted to come up with new examples for each question. After the interview, Peace Corps has to analyze all of the application materials and the interview recommendations. That part of the process takes the longest amount of time. If you've had medical procedures, it'll probably take even longer. Then, you receive a packet in the mail that has all of the information in it--where you're going, what the country is like, what volunteers there do, what kind of volunteer you'll be, what to buy, when you'll leave, how to deal with culture shock, etc. From then, you'll have about a week to decide if you're going or not. I went. Greatest decision of my life.

Interview Questions

• Has there ever been a time when you thought you should quit something?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

I went through the process with the old system and have heard that it has changed significantly since, but my experience was pretty straightforward. I applied online, an interview was requested at the regional office, I had my interview and was told i would be nominated. We looked through the openings and didn't see one that matched my skills and experiences so we waited a few weeks. Finally, something came up that felt right so my interviewer (former PCV) nominated me for that program (it was very vague at that stage- sustainable agriculture volunteer in latin america), I began the paperwork (medical clearance, background check, etc) and had to wait a few months for all of that to get processed. Finally, after 6 months (I applied July 09)I was sent an invitation (December 09) to be a Sustainable Agribusiness Volunteer in Ecuador leaving February 2010.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of "how would you react in this situation" questions. The interviewers are all Returned Peace Corps Volunteers themselves so they have first hand knowledge of the experiences and what kind of person would make a good volunteer, so most of the questions are aimed at getting to the bottom of that aspect.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted the offer and packed my bags and left for 2.5 years a couple months later.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Spokane, WA (US)).

Interview

My recruiter literally walked through the questions listed on the Peace Corps Wiki website, word for word. Since I had found the list of questions prior to my interview, I was able to prepare adequately. I highly recommend everyone checking out this website in preparation for your Peace Corps interview. Also, it's a very good list to help you mentally prepare for your service. The full list of questions can be found on the Peace Corps Wiki site under Interview Questions.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me about a time when you worked in an unstructured or ambiguous situation? How did you approach the task at hand? What did you learn about your personal strengths from that experience?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Standard interview process. However, due to the work and nature of the Peace Corps, I recommend describing your background in a way that presents you as worldly. This can be achieved through remarks about an experience in a culture different from your own, extensive traveling, or knowledge you have about another country--particularly those of the global South.

Interview Questions

• All questions are fairly straight forward. You won’t find any curveballs with PC.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

The process took about a year. After a long application, they called a couple months later to confirm that I still interested. A month later they called and requested more hands on experience. As I gained hands on experience for the next year they periodically called to see what I have been doing. 7 months after I submitted the application they requested an in-person interview.

The interview was about an hour long with questions more focused on if I was ready to make a 2 year commitment rather how could I use my skills in the field. Questions such as "Would I be alright on a very limited diet?" "How would I feel about living in harsh conditions?"

About a 1 1/2 after the interview they called and said they have a site chosen for me and that I would be sent to this country in 2 months. The would not tell me the on country, only the continent. I agreed and never looked back.

Great experience all around. The process may be long but I heard it is a lot faster and you can select your country now. Every Peace Corps employee was kind and attentive. Looking for a way to make a difference in the lives of many and experience a culture through in depth immersion? Peace Corps may be for you.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or moreinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Intense. Starts with a written application. Some applicants get phone interviews. Then an in person interview while the interviewer writes every word you say (be prepared to dictate your thoughts.) Strict health review. If you're an interesting, healthy person you have nothing to worry about during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Here's a contract. You game?

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Was very laborious when I applied in 2007, but now it is automated and waaaaaaay easier. I believe now you can select where you want to serve and what type of project you are interested in.

Interview Questions

• They ask a lot of personal questions - relationship, drug/alcohol use, etc.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Interview

Hiring is now easier than ever, you get to choose where you want to serve (it you are qualified enough). Interviewing is pretty straightforward, although they WILL ask personal questions, such as, what will you and your significant other do when you go to the Peace Corps?

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Interview

online application, interview with recruiter who nominates you, extensive medical process, after completion you will get a invitation to a country. (this process has recently changed, you also now get to chose possible countries you want to go to)

Interview Questions

• What is a cultural difference you've experienced while living in the States?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunter Interview

Interview

Submit an application and go through a long and tedious interview and placement process. Hope and pray that you pass the medical tests and 6 months to years later you may actually be sent an invitation to serve

Negotiation

Nonexistent