Pearson

178 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Developer Interview

Developer

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Pearson.

Interview Details two face-to-face interviews, feedback was slow, deceptive job description, job was put on hold after making an offer, went through all the interview stages could have told me before, made me wait months then changed offer again. be prepared to be bounced around, salaries are also low. also make sure you understand what the role requires ask lots of questions because it might not end up being what the job description states.

Negotiation Details – none

Marketing Assistant Interview

Marketing Assistant
London, England

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Pearson in March 2010.

Interview Details I applied through their website and submitted a CV and a cover letter. I got an e-mail through probably a month later inviting for an interview which was scheduled in about 2 weeks. I couldn't physically attend the interview so we spoke to the hiring and the HR managers over a video conference. Both ladies were really good and were supportive throughout the interview. The interview itself was pretty long - it took roughly 1.5 hours as they asked about every single point on my CV and I had to provide evidence as we spoke. They also asked me to do some tasks like pitching the new product, etc. which they gave me some time to prepare for. The interview was pretty standard for this position and there was nothing out of the blue that I couldn't deal with. The best advice I could give is to make sure that you meet their criteria and keep calm throughout the interview as it will be long and you will have to prove that you are the best person but it's rewarding.

Interview Question – Think of an activity that really interests you. How would you do to make other people interested in it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate as it was a set contract for a fixed term position.

Vice President Operations & Technology Interview

Vice President Operations & Technology
London, England

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pearson.

Interview Details 2 Interviews, some perfunctory and simple 'tests'. All in all the HR approach to this recruitment process lacked appropriate robustness and seemed to me to be very much an after-thought or low priority.

Interview Question – I was asked to suggest how I may react to a case-study I was provided with. The response I gave was broadly common sense, the case study test in this case could have only weeded out the most ignorant or simple minded candidates, it certainly was not taxing in the least!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Again, the HR lead appeared to be preoccupied and disinterested and didn't engage very effectively at all. I felt that I was an irritant to their priority lists. This was a concern at the time as the role I was being recruited into was relatively senior.

Pearson Vue Marketing Internship Interview

Pearson Vue Marketing Internship
Manchester, England

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Pearson in February 2009.

Interview Details The telephonic came first. The HR person was extremely courteous. He asked me about my background, education, and work ex. Then called back in about 3 days to tell me I had qualified the telephonic and was invited to a 1 to 1. He told me the dress code, stuff I had to carry..I was a complete novice then, asked him all basic questions but he was absolutely non-judgmental.

The face to face was with 2 ppl...one was an HR girl..the other the marketing manager perhaps. They were extremely polite again, made me very comfortable, asked me in depth about my projects at college, strengths, why i wanted to join the company. Basically the typical interview questions. Unfortunately, tehy were looking for digital marketing exp..which I dint have. The HR guy called back and almost apologetically told me the results...gave feedback as well.

All in all.. a good experience, despite the fact that i didnt get the job.

Interview Question – We want to install an intranet for the office. What features would you like to put in.   Answer Question

Scrum Master Interview

Scrum Master
New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pearson in June 2014.

Interview Details I interviewed with Pearson over the span of two months (April - June 2014). I'm unsure whether the ball was dropped by Pearson or the recruiter who I worked with, but, spoiler alert, I never heard back from anyone.

My first phone screen was immediately after speaking with the recruiter on a Friday afternoon about the position at Pearson. I spoke with a Program Manager (PM) about my general experience and the project I would be joining. The PM seemed less than enthusiastic about the current situation at Pearson, as they have recently gone through a re-org and some key team roles were missing. The PM was great to talk to and I was eager to hear more.

The next phone screen took place the following Tuesday with a Hiring Manager (HM). The HM asked a lot of technical questions, which were fine and I was able to answer. The HM did not leave me with the best impression and seemed like he was uninterested in speaking with me in the first place. The phone call lasted about twenty minutes and while I did not get the best feeling from the HM, I was excited about the project I could be joining.

Over the next month, my in-person interview was rescheduled five times. That is not an exaggeration. Without going into explicit details, most of which I am still unsure of, I eventually was able to secure an in-person interview with Pearson.

The office is very nice and modern, located downtown in NYC. I spoke with three people, individually, of varying roles (Project Manager, QA, Sr. VP) and all left me with a good impression of the project and Pearson. I felt really good about the interviews and spoke with the recruiter immediately when I was finished and expressed interest in the position.

After following up twice weekly with the recruiter for three weeks, I was left with no decision and no feedback from Pearson. To me, this is unacceptable after two months and being rescheduled five times. Again, I'm unsure where the disconnect happened, but this is very unprofessional. I was very excited about the project and I'm sorry things turned out they way they did.

Note to contractors: You will need to provide your own laptop if hired.

Interview Question – Describe how you dealt with a difficult situation where there was disagreement about a feature or functionality   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Tech Support Specialist Interview

Tech Support Specialist
Sandy, UT (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Pearson in June 2014.

Interview Details A company called Signature Consultants out of Boston, MA called me they did a phone interview. I then was asked to fill out paperwork with my SSN for a background check, which I feel is not necessary, unless offered a position first. And in my opinion should be illegal as per to avoid scams. But then I was pestered by the recruiter the day of, and right before the interview. She told me that the interviewer would ask me the following questions. 1. How to make a PB& J sandwich 2. What are two strengths and weaknesses? 3. How to find an IP address, or explain it to someone who doesn't know. She then said that they are looking for people with alot of "personality". But when I got there, the interviewer did not ask me any of those questions. He just said "Oh it looks like you have a alot of technical experience based on your resume." What hours can you work? "This job is more customer service orientated, rather than technical". " I have a good feeling". "Do you have any questions for me?" And I said that's it?. I was expecting more questions, and a tech test. He then said no. "We are looking to hire pretty quick'. And I added that I was available anytime for training. He then walked me out the front door. And told the recruiter that they filled the position.

Interview Question – I feel like if the position was more customer service related he could have asked me some customer service scenario and/or have me do a mock customer service phone call. I feel like he honestly took one look at me,and discriminated against the way I look and decided not to hire me!   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Community Manager
Indianapolis, IN (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pearson.

Interview Details 5 interviews with teammates and Director. Individual meetings with each. Overall basic questions for each team outing their responsibility and how they would work with the PR/Community Manager. Nothing out of the order. Would ask to pitch a specific product or give examples of past media/community work. Successes/ challenges of past work.

Interview Question – Very standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Able to go back and negotiate to an even better offer than initially offered.

Very Difficult Interview

Associate Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Associate Software Quality Assurance Engineer
San Francisco, CA (US)

Interview Details Received an email a few days after applying online and set up a Skype interview. It was a 30 minute technical interview with the senior engineer. I was asked to solve two Java related problems in regards to QA.

Interview Question – I have college experience with Java and do not memorize specific Java tools and I was asked to solve questions using these standards. Although I knew how to solve the problems, I was unable to answer them due to specific Java related knowledge.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

People Development Interview

People Development
Upper Saddle River, NJ (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pearson in January 2010.

Interview Details Very easy and laid back interview. Was able to totally be myself and was relaxed. I felt an instant connection and knew I was going to be offered the job.

Interview Question – Honestly, nothing.   Answer Question

Temporary Project Manager Interview

Temporary Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Pearson.

Interview Details Two interviews, one was an initial phone interview, asking basic questions such as my name and how serious I was about the position. In the second interview, I was asked several behavioral questions.

Negotiation Details – They ended up giving more then originally planned.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!