Pearson

2.9

Statistical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harlow, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harlow, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pearson in July 2014.

Two stage process; phone screening interview (~50 mins) followed by face to face interview, including a skills test (total ~2.5 hrs). Interviews had standard questions, CV review, giving examples of being in a team, leading a team, disputes, any problems, dealing with deadlines, etc. Technical task involved demonstrating how you would analyse a dataset using Excel only.

Very comfortable interview process, friendly environment.

No negotiation.

Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Pearson.

two face-to-face interviews, feedback was slow, deceptive job description, job was put on hold after making an offer, went through all the interview stages could have told me before, made me wait months then changed offer again. be prepared to be bounced around, salaries are also low. also make sure you understand what the role requires ask lots of questions because it might not end up being what the job description states.

none

Vice President Operations & Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pearson.

2 Interviews, some perfunctory and simple 'tests'. All in all the HR approach to this recruitment process lacked appropriate robustness and seemed to me to be very much an after-thought or low priority.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to suggest how I may react to a case-study I was provided with. The response I gave was broadly common sense, the case study test in this case could have only weeded out the most ignorant or simple minded candidates, it certainly was not taxing in the least!   Answer Question
    Again, the HR lead appeared to be preoccupied and disinterested and didn't engage very effectively at all. I felt that I was an irritant to their priority lists. This was a concern at the time as the role I was being recruited into was relatively senior.

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Pearson in March 2010.

I applied through their website and submitted a CV and a cover letter. I got an e-mail through probably a month later inviting for an interview which was scheduled in about 2 weeks. I couldn't physically attend the interview so we spoke to the hiring and the HR managers over a video conference. Both ladies were really good and were supportive throughout the interview. The interview itself was pretty long - it took roughly 1.5 hours as they asked about every single point on my CV and I had to provide evidence as we spoke. They also asked me to do some tasks like pitching the new product, etc. which they gave me some time to prepare for. The interview was pretty standard for this position and there was nothing out of the blue that I couldn't deal with. The best advice I could give is to make sure that you meet their criteria and keep calm throughout the interview as it will be long and you will have to prove that you are the best person but it's rewarding.

Interview Questions
    • Think of an activity that really interests you. How would you do to make other people interested in it?   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate as it was a set contract for a fixed term position.

Pearson Vue Marketing Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

The process took a weekinterviewed at Pearson in February 2009.

The telephonic came first. The HR person was extremely courteous. He asked me about my background, education, and work ex. Then called back in about 3 days to tell me I had qualified the telephonic and was invited to a 1 to 1. He told me the dress code, stuff I had to carry..I was a complete novice then, asked him all basic questions but he was absolutely non-judgmental.

The face to face was with 2 ppl...one was an HR girl..the other the marketing manager perhaps. They were extremely polite again, made me very comfortable, asked me in depth about my projects at college, strengths, why i wanted to join the company. Basically the typical interview questions. Unfortunately, tehy were looking for digital marketing exp..which I dint have. The HR guy called back and almost apologetically told me the results...gave feedback as well.

All in all.. a good experience, despite the fact that i didnt get the job.

Interview Questions
    • We want to install an intranet for the office. What features would you like to put in.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

The entire process seems very disorganized and takes way too long. They expect you to interview for several hours at a time, which is hard when you have a full time job.

Interview Questions

I was offered another job and accepted.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Pearson.

Process is exceedingly Slow, SLOW, S.L.O.W... unresponsive. Executives late to meetings. Executives unprepared, had not even read resume prior to video conference interview. No response to Thank You notes. Lack of follow-up.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewers asked routine, rudimentary questions, almost seemed distracted or maybe uninterested...possibly just a necessary external interview when an internal candidate was already selected?   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Pearson.

I was contacted by a recruiter who'd seen my resume floating around and she connected me with the Editor I came to work for. The interviewing process was seamless--they were both very impressed with previous editorial experience. The editor was unexpectedly enthusiastic about previous sales experience, as he felt EAs should transition into sales positions.

Interview Questions
    • The editor I interviewed with was very interested in previous sales experience, almost trying to sell me on a Sales career before I entered Editorial.   Answer Question
    There was very little wiggle room as far as compensation packages go.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pearson in January 2015.

Process was quick but disappointing in the end.

I applied online and received an email from HR within a couple days to set up an HR screening.
    He didn’t realize that we actually spoke before when I applied to a similar job several months earlier in
    which I never received an interview. He then quickly set me up this time with a phone interview with the
    Creative Director who is located in Florida.

Had a phone interview with the Creative Director two days later after talking with HR. Great conversation, easy to talk to. She explained in detailed how the organization is set up, how the team works, what the interview process would be like, and even gave a rough estimate of a start date if selected. She then mentioned the next step is to take a “test”. I was nervous at first but soon found out it was a mini project that I had to do.

I found this much more easier than answering a bunch stupid textbook quiz questions. Instead I was emailed a zip file that contained a complex Photoshop PSD file and some brief instructions that said I had to create a functional web page using only HTML, CSS, and Javascript that looks exactly like the PSD file. I had the weekend to do it. I actually had a lot of fun doing it, it was challenging and fun at the same time. I zipped my code and emailed it to HR.

I got scheduled for an in person interview with the hiring manager at their Glenview, IL office the following week, so I assumed someone reviewed and approved of my project work. The Glenview office is an eye sore. It’s under construction, portions of the building have no lights, old desks and tables folded up against the wall. He showed me where I would be sitting , it’s a big open area with a bunch of empty cubicles that planned to get filled in the near future.

The in person interview I thought went well, but apparently it went too well. The hiring manager seemed surprised to find out how much extensive programming and corporate experience I have. Although the job description was titled Web Developer and it did mentioned the typical languages like HTML, CSS, and Javascript, it also mentioned WordPress. Apparently what they are looking for is someone with 80% WordPress and only 20% actual programming. I’m just the opposite, I have about 80% programming and only 20% exposure to Content Management Systems, none with WordPress. He didn’t even mentioned the project that I done, I’m not even sure if he was even aware of it. He did however mentioned that this position has very little coding involved.

I received a personalized rejection notice two days later, which to me says they weren’t really looking for a Senior Web Developer, they were really looking for a Junior WordPress publisher.

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions, just a design project that had to be done in a short amount of time.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

First round is phone interview. The guy asked several questions about Java features and my resume. The second round is onsite. I was still asked question on my resume. Nothing too weird or difficult.