Progressive Insurance

Updated 26 Feb 2015
Updated 26 Feb 2015

3.3

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Be prepared for a thorough interview process. I applied January 20 through indeed.com. On January 21 I got a confirmation email that they had received my application and we're going to review it. On February 3 I received an email asking me to take a 45 to 60 minute assessment test. On February 6 I got an email stating that I had passed The assessment and to wait few days to get either an email or phone call with more information about the next step. On February 11 I got an email stating that I was going to have a phone interview attached was able to schedule that I had to choose which one I would like to take the recruiter was going to be in Mountain standard time I had to convert Pacific standard time from Mountain standard time making sure that I was available during the interview hours that were available so I chose afternoon. My phone interview was scheduled for Monday, February 16 it ended up being Presidents' Day I was a little surprised somebody was working but absolutely welcome to the interview no matter what day or time it was.The recruiter called me exactly on time and we had an hour long phone interview he gave me a little background about the company he gave me information about the wages the benefits the hours and the pay training. He then proceeded to start the star interview. Study the star questions! but all went well I was really comfortableand he was really patient with me. On February 16 I received an email stating that I was going to be moving forward and they were going to be checking my background and to wait for the next coming days for an email with the confirmation and any paperwork to fill out online to confirm the background check. The background check was completed by higher right when they had a discrepancy or couldn't get a hold of something on my background they requested additional information via email and provided three new methods of getting the information to them by phone by email or by fax and you could take a picture of your documentation and have it scanned through to them by an app called TurboScan the app cost $1.99. Before my background check was complete I got a phone call on February 17 from another recruiter asking to schedule my face-to-face interview she told me it would be between 2 to 3 hours at the on-site location she was very flexible providing times and dates that would work for me. Immediately after that call took place she sent me a follow-up email with all the information where to go what day what time and who to ask for.my interview was yesterday I met with two super friendly really nice and outgoing recruiters I was terrified for my interview because it was supposed to be 2 to 3 hours long and I didn't know what that would entail but that time flew by my first interview was the longest my second interview was the shorter portion both are very friendly and I was taken to the customer service call center floor and sat with one of their reps. it was very helpful to sit in with the rep to get an idea of what I would be doing I was then I was picked back up by the second interview her she asked me how the calls went I described a couple of the calls and she walked me to the elevator and then to the front office window to return my visitor badge she asked me again if this is something I could see myself doing an absolutely it was I'm not waiting the next 3 to 5 days to hear back whether I got the job fingers crossed this sounds like an amazing opportunity and company and I would really love to join the team.

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Applied online on jan 8 2015.

Jan 10 2015 received an email to complete a pre-employment assessment.

Jan 15 2015 received an email to schedule a phone interview.

Jan 20 2015 Completed a 45 minute phone interview. 1st half I was briefed on the nature of the job, 2nd half I was asked about previous work and school experience and about 5 behavioral questions. Awaiting if i I will be moving forward or not.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Progressive?
      A time you were given constructive critisism?
      A time where your manager disagreed how you handled a particular customer?
      What would your previous manager say your strengths are? Areas of improvement?
      Reason for leaving previous job?

Other questions regarding work and school experience.

Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2015.

I applied on 12/4 through the website. About two days later they sent me an invitation to do the assessment. Completed that the same day and then the following week I got an email to set a phone interview time. (let me just say the entire process is VERY thorough and long lol) but anyway, I want to say the phone interview was the same week. I passed that. The recruiter was very nice, she even gave me tips on my resume and briefed me about how the onsite interview would go. I got an email the following Monday requesting a background check--I submitted my info for it. By Friday I was called to schedule an on-site interview which didn't take place until this month. (hence the longevity I spoke of earlier)

The onsite interview lasted about 1 1/2 hours. I met with two separate managers. The 1st one was soooo nice and interactive. Every response I gave her came with positive feedback from her. Then I went in and listened to a few calls w/a rep on the floor. Another manager came to get me. She was okay. Not mean, not too nice though. I had already asked all the questions I had to the 1st lady so the 2nd one asked and I told her I didn't have any questions so she got straight to it. I was a little intimidated since she wasn't AS social/friendly as the 1st one but again she wasn't bad either.

Alright so a week later I got a call from the hiring manager offering me the position. I had to chose a different schedule then what I originally signed for but I like the 2nd schedule even more :)

Long process, understandable though--they really try to find the best possible candidate. Out of all job interviews I've ever been on this was the hardest in sense of questioning--but definitely not something you cant accomplish if you DO YOUR RESEARCH!(Star questions, about 12 total)

Interview Questions
    • I cant think off hand, but I know I was asked at least two from the website.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate.. It is a decent offer for me so I Gladly accepted

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2015.

Progressive seems to be very thorough with the interview process. I would not consider the process to be easy or hard. I think that if you put the effort in and really want the job then you will be fine. First applied online within a couple of days I got an email about taking an online assessment. From there I was invited to an on-site interview event where there was about 20 other people there and each person had a different interviewer. After the on-site interview they took me to an office to schedule an interview with two hiring managers. The second interview took about 2 hours. The interview questions were challenging but, not impossible. If you are thorough in your answers and provide a lot of details you will be good. They mostly ask questions about past experiences. Out of my three interviews I liked all of the interviewers they did a great job and made the interview go smoothly. I think if you are super friendly and nice you will be a shoe in! The process took about 3 weeks so not too shabby.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you made a mistake?   View Answer
    Not really a negotiation phase

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa Palms, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa Palms, FL (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2015.

Went very smooth
    Loved the connection with recruiter. I also liked that she called on the requested time I asked for. It worked around my schedule. Very convienant and went very quickly.

Interview Questions
    • Why did I want to leave the current company I work for.   Answer Question
    Havent yet discussed

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Hiring & Interview process is very detailed. I believe I remember three interviews total here. Actually behavioral interviewing for those results. Be prepared to think about your answers thoroughly. Be prepared for "self paced" training that you may choose to do by the requirements, or cheat like half the class did, and breeze through the training. After training you will go to Progressives "learning bay", and you may, or may not pass on to the actual job with Progressive. If you pass, you get treated like an Progressive employee-until then you are nothing in the department that is continuously given constructive criticism from "coaches" that will tell one way to do a situation, and the other coach will tell you differently. Look forward to not passing, unless you contribute to their favoritism in the workplace.

Interview Questions
    Reconsider unless you want to spend at least a possible 6 months in total in their training program.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield, OH (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in December 2014.

Start off saying that I applied 9 time over a period of time. Finally I received an online assessment. That took me about a half hour to complete. After that I then received an email requesting a phone interview. The phone took about an hour. I then received an email about a background check. Shortly after a woman called to set up a face to face interview. The face to face interview lasted a little longer than three hours. I had two separate interviews as well as shadowed a call center rep. I then received a phone call about a week later to inform me I was being offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Customers don't always know what they want or are looking for, name a time you helped a customer find exactly what they were looking for.   Answer Question
    I didn't try to negotiate anything. Everything I was offered was exactly what I was looking for.

Progressive Insurance Response

Jan 28, 2015Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We appreciate the details and hope it helps others coming through our hiring process. -KH, Recruiting

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverview, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverview, FL (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

To be hired as a Progressive Customer Service Representative is no easy task. You must first get through whatever screening process their HR utilizes, and I have yet to crack this riddle--I worked for Progressive for 12 years, and when I got hired I was coming from the restaurant industry. I had heard they liked restaurant people due to customer service experience, and also that they liked ex military. But during my time there I tried to refer many friends with much more valid and relevant experience than myself, but they never even got an interview.

If you DO get a phone interview, it's not too difficult. Just say the right things etc.

If your lucky enough to get an in person interview, know that it's going to be thorough, and behavioral based. Look that up. Also look up the S.T.A.R. method (Situation, Task, Action, Result). In short this means you are going to be asked specific questions regarding specific situations. Notice the word Specific. In your answers, you can't give generalities. You have to give a specific situation where you had to perform as specific task where you performed a specific task which resulted in a specific result. Also, be aware that the interview may be with between one and four interviewers (panel). If this interview is with one person, trust that you will have at least two other interviews, and again, these interviews may be panel interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work unsupervised? What did you do, and what was the result?   View Answer
    N/A

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2014.

I knew someone that worked for progressive, they requested an email with my contact information detailing my work experience with an emphasis on customer service and working with the customer. Pretty shortly after I sent the email I got an email from progressive hiring with instructions for applying with the referral. Within a week of filling out my profile and putting in an application I got an email requesting that I complete a test to make sure I'm a good fit. I answered honestly and after finishing was prompted for a phone interview the next day. The website provides detailed information on answering the interview questions properly so I came up with a few of the stories that I wanted to highlight during the interview which helped a lot. At the end of the phone call I was asked to schedule an on-site interview. Once we scheduled it they sent me an email reminder and directions to the building as well as a request for a background check and details on approving it.

For the on site interview, I went to the building, checked in and got a temporary badge. Another candidate appeared and we waited together, then one of the interviewers appeared and walked us to the floor where we listened in on calls for about a half hour and got to ask questions to the employee and get a taste for the customers. We found out one of the interviewers we were meeting with was out, but they had someone come in to conduct the interview. We were brought to separate conference rooms, offered waters and interviewed one on one with the first interviewer and then with the second. The same formatting for the phone interviews was used and the interviewers made extensive notes about what was said. The interviewers were extremely pleasant and enthusiastic about the company. After all the questions were answered we just made pleasant conversation and I was shown back to the desk to turn in the temporary badge. I got an email the week of the interview telling me to be expecting a call after the weekend was over, and I got the call that monday afternoon explaining the offer.

Overall, I was kept extremely informed during the process with both phone calls and emails. The hiring department was exceptionally accommodating and kind. The process was difficult and extensive, but that is reassuring to me because it shows that they are hiring for quality. I asked detailed questions about the quality of the work environment to all three interviewers and the interviewers had no problem promoting the company to me in a personal way. The background check was the most irritating part of the process. I would suggest finding paystubs, W-2's or other tax documents and confirming dates before submitting an application. Keep them handy because the company that does the background check requested scanned copies of these from me more than once.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time that there was a conflict between you and another member of the work place?"
      Was asked during the phone interview, but there were similar questions about resolving communication conflicts in the on-site interviews. Giving the answer in the form on the website you are expected to explain which job it happened in, what happened to cause the conflict, what steps you made to resolve it, and the results that came from solving the conflict.

Answer Question
    No actual negotiation, I was offered the salary I requested. I got a phone call to explain the offer letter and all of the benefits and perks that came with the job. I was given the chance to ask any further questions and told that I could call back if any more questions came up.

Progressive Insurance Response

Dec 17, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We especially appreciate the details you provided around the type of interview questions we ask. We include information on our website ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

The interview process is pretty difficult. You start with a personality test. If you don't pass that, you must wait 6 months to reapply. If you get through that, there's a computer simulation. If you pass, you get a phone interview. If you pass, you get a face to face which consisted of several different people coming into a room and asking you questions based on your past experience. You must answer based on the STAR, situation, task, action, resolution.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions are really difficult if you have plenty of customer service experience to draw from. It's hard to prepare for such specific questions though.   Answer Question
    They call you and tell you how much you will be paid based on your ecperience.