Progressive Insurance

www.progressive.com

Progressive Insurance Customer Service Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 14, 2014

Average Difficulty
41 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Representative

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details I got hired through innosource. I had an online assesment and then a call back the next day for my interview 2 days later i scheduled for an interview with progressive and 2 days from that i was givin a position which i accepted. The background check was extremly extensive but no drug test. Confidence and willingness to learn is a PLUS you will work 2 weeks in the hole

Interview Questions

• When was a time you went above and beyond your job tittle   Answer Question
  • When was a rime you had misjudgment in the work place abd how did you correct it   Answer Question

Rancho Cordova, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in May 2014.

Interview Details So I went through all the steps,took and passed online assesment after 1 week I found out results next step was phone interview, the interviewer was great and said normally she didnt tell people right away but I had made it through to the face to face interview. I received a link to have my background checked and received a phone assesment for my Spanish. I was sure I had the job, the face to face interview gves no room to talk about yourself AT ALL only STAR questions.( I have been in the call center/CSR field over 10 years the last 6 I was management in the call center actually monitored the calls for accuracy and quality). The recruiter called me on the 3rd day to inform me I was not selected because they are looking for someone more "customer service oriented" From other comments I have seen it appears that if you have management experience you are not likely to get hired, in fact the person that I sat with to fill me in on the job details indicate she didnt have much experience before working there. I still would like to apply I feel it is a great company but not sure what they are looking for as it seems they want experience but not "too much"

Interview Question – Have you applied anywhere else?   Answer Question

Riverview, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2011.

Interview Details Progressive's hiring process is one of the most rigorous I have encountered. Submit application, complete phone interview, background check (intensive) and two face to face interviews. They use the STAR method for interviewing... so prepare prepare prepare.

Interview Question – Tell me of a time when you made a mistake and what you did.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Riverview, FL (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in December 2011.

Interview Details applied online, received an email to take an assessment test, received a reply with in days about setting up a phone interview. I was also sent an email letting me know the questions that might be asked. After my phone interview I received another email with in a couple days about my face to face interview. The face to face interview was a 2 hour process interviewing with 2 managers. They use the STAR format for interviewing, asking about time management, mutli-tasking, problem solving and many more

Interview Question – Tell me about questions can be hard   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't know you could negotiate the salary, but what the offered was what I wanted so it worked out great.

Austin, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in February 2014.

Interview Details 1) Fill out Application, 2) Pass Assessment Test, 3) Accept and Complete Phone Interview, 4) Complete HireRight Employment Verification Check, 5) Complete Progressive's Criminal Background Check, 6)Accept and Complete a Satisfactory 1-day On-Site Interview with 2 Separate Supervisors Expect to answer questions related to 1 specific call, 7) If Offered a Position, ACCEPT THE JOB!!!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were assisting a customer on a situation that changed the way you thought about the company.   View Answer
  • Tell me about a time when you failed to provide the correct solution for a customer. What did you did to correct the issue?   View Answer
  • How do you handle calls from customers that seem to be unsatisfied with everything offered?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – We negotiated on a schedule that would still work for me.

Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2014.

Interview Details I am currently a supervisor with another call center but decided to apply as a customer service representative with Progressive thinking it was a great way to get my foot into the door.

I had two phone interviews with a recruiter and discussed the fact I was currently a supervisor and the reason I was looking at this customer service rep role. I asked if it was a concern for their company that I am currently in a leadership role and was assured it was not a problem for them. So I set up an in-person interview.

The in-person interview took 2 hours total. Two days later the recruiter called me to say that the leaders I interviewed with are not comfortable taking someone who is currently a supervisor and hiring them for a customer service rep role. I asked the recruiter if they were aware that I was currently a supervisor before I ever agreed to meet with them in person and the recruiter said yes, they were aware of this beforehand as they had and reviewed my resume.

I asked that since their leadership"s standard stance is to not hire someone in a leadership role for a customer service rep role, then why would they ask me to come down there (20 miles one way from my home) to interview for 2 hours if no matter what I said or how well I did in that interview, there was no chance they would offer me this position. The recruiters response was "well, they still wanted to talk with you".

I am perfectly fine with not getting a job offer as I am currently employed (at a higher salary), but this was a complete waste of my time, gas, mileage (and two hours of lost pay at work) to go interview when they all knew that no matter what I said they had no intention of offering me this position even before I arrived for the interview. Very sad that this company does not value peoples time.

As a long term customer of Progressive, I have cancelled all policies and went to another company for insurance. I will also do my best to steer anyone away because of their complete lack of respect for peoples time.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions that follow the STAR format. You will however sit with a rep for about 30 minutes in between the two interviews so you can see what the reps do. Kind of scary you have that much access to customers personal information and you do not even work there.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview Details One of the hardest interviews I've had. In fact, I was told of the thousands of applicants, only 1% are hired. I submitted my application online, got a call to schedule a phone interview. Then did a face to face with two supervisors in the room, then one on one with each supervisor. I was given a tour and did an hour side by side listening to calls with another employee. Got a call about a week later with the employment offer, contingent on backround check. They will check ALL references, ALL previous employers, and ALL education. Whole process took about 5 weeks.

Interview Question – Progressive uses the STAR interview method. Look it up and familiarize yourself with it- you'll be asked from 15-45 of these types of questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Fair pay, GREAT benefits and AMAZING bonus

Customer Service Representative
Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2013.

Interview Details Went through all interviews start Monday. I am interested in how the test is after the 6 weeks training. I was told if you don't pass the first time you are out. Can someone tell me how difficult the test is.

Interview Question – What was the biggest mistake you have made in previous positions   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in June 2011.

Interview Details Completed online application and received an email shortly thereafter to take on online assessment test. Basic questions such as "what would you do" or "how did you handle" a particular situation. They will provide you a link to their job website that will provide you with questions to expect beforehand. I received a call a couple of days later saying that I did not qualify for that position but other positions were available that I did qualify for. I agreed to proceed with it and was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. Recruiter very nice, and laid back and provided great feedback. She forwarded my info on to be scheduled for and on-site interview and this was the worst part of the entire experience. After playing phone tag for about a week, I finally spoke to someone and told the training class was full! What? Honestly, this was a red flag but I have since learned that this happens all the time and my experience is not unique. At any rate, I was interviewed by 2 supervisors (separately) with completely different interviewing styles. However, I was contacted within the week and offered the position. The time the process takes will depend on many variables (number of applicants, training start date, etc). Please research STAR questions because that is all that is used and the "R" is the most important in my opinion.

Interview Question – Please explain a time when you were required to use multiple systems.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much room left to negotiate because the salary is set based on the title. Although there is a range it's just not that wide. I was offered in on the higher side and did no negotiating.

Customer Service Representative
Highland Heights, OH (US)

I applied through another source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Progressive Insurance in May 2009.

Interview Details After a phone screening I was asked to complete an in office online test to gauge my customer service skills. Following that was another in person interview by three different people. A week later I was notified by phone that I was selected to be hired. Overall the questions were pretty common sense, it was more or less just the elaborate process itself that was lengthy.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job and where do you want to be in two years from now?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate as the job level is non-negotiable and it is a corporation. I would recommend this job for anyone looking for entry level. As long as you can do well the first year and avoid any 'performance management' you'll have a decent shot at getting promoted.

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!