Progressive Insurance

Updated 23 Nov 2014

3.3

54 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverview, FL (US)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverview, FL (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

To be hired as a Progressive Customer Service Representative is no easy task. You must first get through whatever screening process their HR utilizes, and I have yet to crack this riddle--I worked for Progressive for 12 years, and when I got hired I was coming from the restaurant industry. I had heard they liked restaurant people due to customer service experience, and also that they liked ex military. But during my time there I tried to refer many friends with much more valid and relevant experience than myself, but they never even got an interview.

If you DO get a phone interview, it's not too difficult. Just say the right things etc.

If your lucky enough to get an in person interview, know that it's going to be thorough, and behavioral based. Look that up. Also look up the S.T.A.R. method (Situation, Task, Action, Result). In short this means you are going to be asked specific questions regarding specific situations. Notice the word Specific. In your answers, you can't give generalities. You have to give a specific situation where you had to perform as specific task where you performed a specific task which resulted in a specific result. Also, be aware that the interview may be with between one and four interviewers (panel). If this interview is with one person, trust that you will have at least two other interviews, and again, these interviews may be panel interviews.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when you had to work unsupervised? What did you do, and what was the result?   View Answer
N/A

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2014.

I knew someone that worked for progressive, they requested an email with my contact information detailing my work experience with an emphasis on customer service and working with the customer. Pretty shortly after I sent the email I got an email from progressive hiring with instructions for applying with the referral. Within a week of filling out my profile and putting in an application I got an email requesting that I complete a test to make sure I'm a good fit. I answered honestly and after finishing was prompted for a phone interview the next day. The website provides detailed information on answering the interview questions properly so I came up with a few of the stories that I wanted to highlight during the interview which helped a lot. At the end of the phone call I was asked to schedule an on-site interview. Once we scheduled it they sent me an email reminder and directions to the building as well as a request for a background check and details on approving it.

For the on site interview, I went to the building, checked in and got a temporary badge. Another candidate appeared and we waited together, then one of the interviewers appeared and walked us to the floor where we listened in on calls for about a half hour and got to ask questions to the employee and get a taste for the customers. We found out one of the interviewers we were meeting with was out, but they had someone come in to conduct the interview. We were brought to separate conference rooms, offered waters and interviewed one on one with the first interviewer and then with the second. The same formatting for the phone interviews was used and the interviewers made extensive notes about what was said. The interviewers were extremely pleasant and enthusiastic about the company. After all the questions were answered we just made pleasant conversation and I was shown back to the desk to turn in the temporary badge. I got an email the week of the interview telling me to be expecting a call after the weekend was over, and I got the call that monday afternoon explaining the offer.

Overall, I was kept extremely informed during the process with both phone calls and emails. The hiring department was exceptionally accommodating and kind. The process was difficult and extensive, but that is reassuring to me because it shows that they are hiring for quality. I asked detailed questions about the quality of the work environment to all three interviewers and the interviewers had no problem promoting the company to me in a personal way. The background check was the most irritating part of the process. I would suggest finding paystubs, W-2's or other tax documents and confirming dates before submitting an application. Keep them handy because the company that does the background check requested scanned copies of these from me more than once.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time that there was a conflict between you and another member of the work place?"
      Was asked during the phone interview, but there were similar questions about resolving communication conflicts in the on-site interviews. Giving the answer in the form on the website you are expected to explain which job it happened in, what happened to cause the conflict, what steps you made to resolve it, and the results that came from solving the conflict.
        Answer Question
    No actual negotiation, I was offered the salary I requested. I got a phone call to explain the offer letter and all of the benefits and perks that came with the job. I was given the chance to ask any further questions and told that I could call back if any more questions came up.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

The interview process is pretty difficult. You start with a personality test. If you don't pass that, you must wait 6 months to reapply. If you get through that, there's a computer simulation. If you pass, you get a phone interview. If you pass, you get a face to face which consisted of several different people coming into a room and asking you questions based on your past experience. You must answer based on the STAR, situation, task, action, resolution.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions are really difficult if you have plenty of customer service experience to draw from. It's hard to prepare for such specific questions though.   Answer Question
    They call you and tell you how much you will be paid based on your ecperience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Applied online and received an email for me to take an online exam a few days after. Exam was roughly 40 questions long going over behavioral situations, personality inquires, and some math.a couple days after that I received another email requesting that I schedule a time slot for a phone interview. My phone interview came and was pretty basic. The questions were mostly related to my resume and some behavioral questions following the STAR form for answering. The interview lasted roughly 45 minutes. 2 days later I had received an email requesting that I come into their offices for a face to face interview. I had to schedule the interview almost 2 weeks out because of conflicting schedules with my current employer. The interview came and i met the night customer service supervisor and took a quick tour of part of the facility. They sat me down with a team member to watch them take a couple calls to see if I had any questions or concerns about the job. After that they took me into what they call Quiet Rooms where you can relax or hold private meetings and started the interview. The interview was very similar to the phone interviews just with a bit more emphasis on the behavioral questions and less about my resume. I had two interviews that day one after another and at the end they said they would contact me by the end of the week with the results.

Interview Questions
    • Its kind of hard to come up with the situations to the questions they ask about right on the spot.   View Answer
    I didn't bother to negotiate. The pay rate was better than where i was at and a nice set schedule. Which they are changing the way they do schedules in 2015. So we'll see how that goes as a new person.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in October 2014.

I applied online. After that, I received a confirmation email. After that, an online assessment which I passed with ease. Another email prompting me to schedule my phone interview. Scheduled it for the week. Phone interview went well. The recruiter is as sweet as can be, and really wants to help you succeed. The interview questions here are STAR based, and are behavior questions which can be difficult if you haven't prepared at least 5 generic answers to work with (A difficult customer, co-worker, a time when you had a change in policy, strengths and weaknesses, etc) After I passed the phone interview, I was scheduled for a face-to-face the week after. At the facility, you go to the security desk and check in. You wait in the lobby until a supervisor comes out to get you. At this point, you either interview with the supervisor or they take you to the CSR floor where you sit with a rep and listen to half an hour of calls. I found this interesting and informative, as it helped me answer questions the way I thought they should be answered in our interview later. After the first supervisor interviews you (before or after your observing), another supervisor will come in and ask you similar behavior questions about your work history. My advice is to dress to impress, smile, stay upbeat, and be as honest as you can with those behavior answers. Articulate well and MAKE SURE it's ALL ABOUT the customer. That's what they are looking for, someone who cares about their customers and has a willingness to learn and grow with the company. It has been two days since the face-to-face and I got a job offer this morning. I used this site for a most of my interview prep so I wanted to contribute.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you made a bad decision. What did you do?   View Answer
    Did not attempt to negotiate. Pay is good and hours are decent, but they are changing schedules based on performance next year (2015) which I am a little concerned with because I'm a new.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance.

I went through a phone interview then got a call a few days later to come in for an interview. The first date scheduled I had to miss due to an emergency and they were very accomodating and allowed me to come in at a later date. I had to interview with 2 people separately, the overall interview took about 2 1/2 hours. They asked all STAR questions. First person asked me about 8 or 9, and the second person asked me around 6. They had me sit with a rep between the 2 interviews to see how the job was. They called me about 2 days later and said the interview went great and I was hired. Offer accepted. Love it here, even though the training is very long.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty much all the STAR questions. It's hard to pick a specific situation under pressure.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Customer Service Representative Interview

The interview was direct and to the point. It was very detailed and they ask a lot of questions. I like how thorough they are at their selection process and I understand the need for attention to detail.

Progressive Insurance Response

Nov 6, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your experience, that’s great feedback. –KH, Recruiting

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in October 2014.

On-line assessment, phone interview, in person interview with 2 people and job shadow for 30 minutes. The reps navigate 5-6 applications. There is a large monitor that hangs from the ceiling that shows how many calls are in the queue (75-80) during my visit and how many seconds they have been waiting 240 seconds (3 minutes). The calls never end. No breathing room the cubicals are very small and the walls are short - no privacy and you can hear the loud CSR's talking over you.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't make any effort to sell me on the company or the position. They just need to fill "slots".   Answer Question
    • The recruiter said they had 25 positions to fill. I received 3 different start times for the training schedule....no one really knew the correct schedule "yet". The start date was a week later. They didn't make any effort to make me want to work there.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in September 2014.

It took me 5 weeks process. I did the assessment in early August. Three days later I was told I passed and to look forward to a phone interview. I did the phone interview in mid September and at the end of September I went in for face ti face. The next day I was offered the job.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online and after a week i was asked to complete the assessment test and right away i was notified that i pass the assessment test and to wait for an email or phone call to make phone interview appointment. after a week i was schedule for an phone interview. after 2 days i was notify for the face to face interview.