Publix Interview Questions

Updated 26 Mar 2015
Updated 26 Mar 2015

2.0

Bagger Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Publix.

Applied at the machine and then introduced myself to the hiring manager and let them know that I applied. Got a call back within a week and got asked to come in for an interview. Interview was very relaxed, manager was very personable. Thought I came off as an outgoing friendly person. He thanked me for my time and told me I would hear back from them in a week or so.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what you know about Publix (the company) and why you want to work here.   Answer Question

Pharmacist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Publix.

Easy. regular interview questions. Very low key. Asked about work history, ect. One on one with DM. Wanted to know about previous jobs, why you think public will be different, ect. Public is doing a lot of MTM and things like that and wanted to know if you think thats good.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Publix---A lot about the Public vision and mission   Answer Question
    None. Good offer, accepted

Warehouse Selector Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Publix.

I applied online through the Publix careers web site. A few days later I received an email inviting me to take an online test (work attitude survey). I completed the test within the time frame they gave (48 hours).

Then came the long wait. About 2 weeks went by before I heard back from Publix. They emailed me to let me know I had been selected to interview for the position. The email contained a link to a site which had multiple dates/times to choose from for the interview. I selected the earliest date and time. I thought it might show I was very interested in the position

Fast forward to the interview. I arrived 25 minutes early. It took about 10 minutes to park, clear the security gate and get to the building in which the interview was held. So I still arrived 15 minutes early like their carrers site suggests. I waited for about 5 minutes before being taken back for the interview. Side note I wore dress pants with a shirt and tie and dress shoes. I also was clean shaven. I wanted to make a good impression even though it was essentially an entry level job.

The interview was really laid back. And by laid back, I mean laid back! It was as if I just stopped by to talk with a friend. I expected a traditional formal type interview so I was thrown off guard with how relaxed it was. The interview consisted of a brief resume review (bring a copy of your resume, I did and it was very much appreciated). I was asked a little about my employment history and my current job title. Then I was told the interview consisted of 8 simple questions. Starting with the most obvious question 'why publix?'. I was asked each question and gave the best answer I could. These questions seemed to fly by and before I knew it I was asked if I had any questions. I'm glad I prepared some to ask. Asking my questions and receiving answers lasted longer than the previous part of the interview. I asked questions that I actually wanted to have answered and not one just to look good. I asked about what my top priority would be if I got the job, the attitude amongst the warehouse staff, any uniform requirements and if he could explain how the standard index pay system worked. This last question actually helped out with knowing what the pay scale was without directly asking how much will I earn.

From what I was told it seemed as if the main concern for management was to have dependable employees who would turn up everyday and didn't mind fast paced repetitive work. My almost perfect attendance at my current job of 10 years helped reassure my point and I made sure to let him know that I was interested in the position and that repetitive physical work is what I am used to.

After I finished my questions I was aked if I wanted to see the warehouse. I said yes. While in there he explained what inventory they have, what the selectors do and how they do it.

We returned back to the interview room where I was given a a timeline of when I would hear back from the employment office on whether I got the job or not. 2-3 weeks was the timeline. Then the interview was over.

I left feeling not too confident. Only for the fact that it was really laid back. 3 long weeks went by before I got a call from the employment office inviting me to come by to complete a physical agility test. I went and it was a basic strength and dexterity test. Testing pushing, pulling and squeezing on their special equipment. I was then told I passed and then given the official job offer. Took a drug test and the results will determine if I get the job or not. I don't do drugs so the job is mine.

I wrote a long review because I couldn't find any in depth reviews while searching online so I hope this is helpful or it adds some insight into the interview process

Any Available Position Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Publix.

There was no real "interview". Walked in, met with the Store Manager (he rambled on about himself and other irrelevant things), and I was hired on the spot. But then again, I earned a degree, and was looking for an entry-level job in a grocery store.

Front Service Clerk (Bagger) Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Publix.

I filled out the application on-site and got a call within 3-4 weeks. At the time, I was a teenager on summer break from school. The interview process was very efficient; it was only the second job interview I'd ever had and I was pleased with how quick, professional, and respectful it was. Whenever I had to wait in the break room to be called in, the employees were very friendly to me. I received a phonecall giving me the job offer within two days after the interview.

Interview Questions
    Since this was my first job and I was 18, I was not offered any negotiations, nor did I request any.

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Publix.

The process was really easy. I expected worse, but the questions were very easy and straightforward with no pressure from the managers there. They also had me take an oral drug test there. You have to sit there for about 5-10 minutes after your interview is over, you've been hired, and they give you their pay idea for you. Then you just have to wait for the test to be done, sealed, and put away for shipping.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Publix.

There were two interviews.
    The office manager called for a first interview.
    After a week they called for a second interview and then they told me I was hired.
    Long interviews
    Explained skills, Experience and education
    They explained to me their expectations in the second interview
    They look for team players and excellent customer service skills
    I don't remember more details

Front Service Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Publix.

Easy interview. Met with the manager, and he asked me about what I plan to do in the future. He took a call in the middle of the interview, but I didn't really mind. By the end of the interview, I was offered a position at minimum wage. They made me take a mouth swab drug test, and then they sent me to some pretty dreadful classes. After the classes though, I started working and getting trained right away. Overall, an easy experience for my first job.

Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Lakeland, FL (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Publix.

The .net programmer position advertised was really a real IT help desk role. I found that out during the interview process and they said "Yeah this is a developer position but it is good to know .net but we provide support as well. I wish these people were upfront about the position. It was a total waste of time. I Didn't hear back from them and I was glad since this was really a help desk role and not a developer role like advertised.

Interview Questions
    • If a program hangs and you want to see what processes are running, what will you open in windows? Task manager.
      No questions at all related to .net.

Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Publix.

Easy process...managers were friendly. They ask for flexibility and adaptability. If you can do this, you will get the job for sure. The company is very customer service focused, so make sure to mention how would provide premier customer service

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if face with a difficult customer ... This is a typical question   Answer Question