Qualcomm Interview Questions

1,033 Interview Reviews

3.1

Staffing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm.

two onsite interviews plus three phone interviews, a little repetitive but it was good to get access to lots of different people to ask them questions. Had to speak with people in the US so those interviews were in the evening but that was fine. covered my general background, industry knowledge, most difficult hires, dealing with line managers,strengths, weaknesses

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Qualcomm in July 2011.

Telephonic-->F2F--> HR

There was some mis-communication between HR and tech manager. She passed on the wrong profile. Manager just asked me what happens when mobile is turned on.

Interview Questions
    • What happens when mobile is switched on   View Answer

Interim Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Qualcomm in March 2010.

Very technical interview; high emphasis on the skills required for the job; C/C++ and Assembly questions

Interview Questions
    • Programming puzzles in C, which I was then asked to translate to assembly   Answer Question

Senior DSP Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Qualcomm in November 2009.

Applied online, called on phone interview within 2 weeks. The phone interview was from my would be manager who said the interview would take 30 minutes. Instead, we talked for 1 hour, 20 minutes.

Two weks later I get notice from some person at Qualcomm to tell me I need to have two more phone interviews with people in SAN DIEGO. WTF? I mean the job is in the UK so why do tech people in San Diego need to talk to me?

Anyway, talk to people in San Diego. First person calls a bit late, interview runs 45 mins instead of the allotted 30, which makes me late for the next call, and the next interviewer huffily blames the lateness on me. Both San Diego interviews were technical but amounted to mostly me explaining how to multiply two fixed point numbers and minor uninteresting C specific type questions. Nothing is said about the actual job..

Invited to onsite interview in the UK.
    The in person interview was very technical with details not very relevant to the position. They asked me again how to multiply floating point numbers. You'd think that they'd know how to look it up by now! Then they asked me "what's a Q15 representation?" all questions that were rather too specific and irrelevant to a comms DSP position. Then I got a written test, with questions involving deciphering what a piece of code was doing. The piece of code was computing x raised to the power n but it was programmed in a very weird, obfuscated, inneficient way involving taking modulo of n to determine whether n was odd or even, etc (lots of unnecessary steps) that made me worry that that was the way they actually wrote code at Qualcomm. They also asked me what is j raised to the power j and when I answered "It is sqrt(minus one) raised to the sqrt(minus one) " they didn't like the answer.

They did not describe to me what the job entailed, nor gave me time to ask questions or look much at the real work they were doing other than a very cursory, superficial "lab tour".

Two weeks later, they said "they wanted to move forward with the offer".

Then silence. Two weeks after that I wrote to ask what was going on. They claimed they wanted to discuss the offer by phone. I asked "what offer since you haven't sent me one". They were adamant on only discussing things verbally, nothing was ever written.

After a month I finally got an informal "offer" by email, detailing salary, but being nonspecific on other benefits including stock option price and vesting period and bonuses, thus giving me no real way to seriously evaluate the offer due to lack of details.

Interview Questions
    • Analyze a piece of code which was incredibly badly written   View Answer

Compensation level was too low. Interviewers seemed too concerned with irrelevant, obscure details of implementation as opposed to big picture, important fundamentals and DSP and communications theory. Incompetent HR also made me wary of ever working there. But especially compensation offered was WAY too low for such a supposedly successful "top 100 companies to work for" company.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Qualcomm in January 2007.

After applying I received a reply in one week for on site interview.
    Overall the interview was pretty much technical. Questions ranged from regarding university project till the actual communication theory. I will advise to study your communications related modules properly before the interview.
    Also the background of the company is important but I think it depends on whom is interviewing. I was interviewed by only engineers and hence wasn't really asked as much house keeping questions as I would had normally been.

Software Engineer Interview

Went to a career fair, got contacted to do an interview about a week later. They took all the people who they interviewed out to dinner, which was nice. They also gave everyone nice hoodies too. After I interviewed they said they would get back to me in about a week maybe two. Great interviewing experience.

Interview Questions
    • Return the index of the first unique character in a string.   Answer Question
    Didn't negotiate, offer was really good.

Software Engineer Interview

Give resume on career fair -> Online application -> Get contacted for on campus interview -> On campus interview -> Offer
    The interviewer had no expression during the interview. But he didn't ask me very hard questions. "Cold" but nice I would say.

Product Security Team Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Qualcomm.

One phone interview first. Mainly focus on the hash function and the buffer overflow. After that, another phone interview to match the project. Got a lot of questions in the second round.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the details of SHA3 and how to choose parameters for it.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Put my application in through the qualcomm careers website. Got a quick response within a week. HR emailed me to give them suitable dates and times. I sent them my preferred slots for a phone interview, then next day HR replied with a selected time. The HR seemed very responsive and the interview was setup for the earliest possible date.

The interviewer called me and started off with some basic review of my CV. I am in R&D, so a lot of questions and details about my projects, research. Then interview shifted to technical questions related to programming. One question was on software design, he asked me how I would go about developing a basic operating system/file system. I responded that you first define the objectives, get user/customer inputs. Define the structure, for example, you need a file system management module, display, user input, file editing etc. How would you tie these together (implement abstract classes to define API) etc. The interviewer basically wanted to see my thought process and how I approach this problem. Then I was asked to rate myself at C++, what were my weakness when it came the language etc. After about 45 minutes, the interviewer started talking about their projects and work. Gave me a chance to ask questions and possible start dates.

Got a call for second interview, waiting on that.

Interview Questions
    • The best way to sort a 1000 byte array (least complexity)   View Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm.

One phone interview followed by an on-site interview. Five rounds. Expert from different fields asked me regarding my previous work. What kind of candidate they are looking for. Some technical questions regarding statics and dynamics. MEMS technology