Qualcomm Interview Questions & Reviews

3.1

Staffing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm.

two onsite interviews plus three phone interviews, a little repetitive but it was good to get access to lots of different people to ask them questions. Had to speak with people in the US so those interviews were in the evening but that was fine. covered my general background, industry knowledge, most difficult hires, dealing with line managers,strengths, weaknesses

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Qualcomm in July 2011.

Telephonic-->F2F--> HR

There was some mis-communication between HR and tech manager. She passed on the wrong profile. Manager just asked me what happens when mobile is turned on.

Interview Questions
    • What happens when mobile is switched on   View Answer

Interim Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Qualcomm in March 2010.

Very technical interview; high emphasis on the skills required for the job; C/C++ and Assembly questions

Interview Questions
    • Programming puzzles in C, which I was then asked to translate to assembly   Answer Question

Senior DSP Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England
    Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Qualcomm in November 2009.

Applied online, called on phone interview within 2 weeks. The phone interview was from my would be manager who said the interview would take 30 minutes. Instead, we talked for 1 hour, 20 minutes.

Two weks later I get notice from some person at Qualcomm to tell me I need to have two more phone interviews with people in SAN DIEGO. WTF? I mean the job is in the UK so why do tech people in San Diego need to talk to me?

Anyway, talk to people in San Diego. First person calls a bit late, interview runs 45 mins instead of the allotted 30, which makes me late for the next call, and the next interviewer huffily blames the lateness on me. Both San Diego interviews were technical but amounted to mostly me explaining how to multiply two fixed point numbers and minor uninteresting C specific type questions. Nothing is said about the actual job..

Invited to onsite interview in the UK.
    The in person interview was very technical with details not very relevant to the position. They asked me again how to multiply floating point numbers. You'd think that they'd know how to look it up by now! Then they asked me "what's a Q15 representation?" all questions that were rather too specific and irrelevant to a comms DSP position. Then I got a written test, with questions involving deciphering what a piece of code was doing. The piece of code was computing x raised to the power n but it was programmed in a very weird, obfuscated, inneficient way involving taking modulo of n to determine whether n was odd or even, etc (lots of unnecessary steps) that made me worry that that was the way they actually wrote code at Qualcomm. They also asked me what is j raised to the power j and when I answered "It is sqrt(minus one) raised to the sqrt(minus one) " they didn't like the answer.

They did not describe to me what the job entailed, nor gave me time to ask questions or look much at the real work they were doing other than a very cursory, superficial "lab tour".

Two weeks later, they said "they wanted to move forward with the offer".

Then silence. Two weeks after that I wrote to ask what was going on. They claimed they wanted to discuss the offer by phone. I asked "what offer since you haven't sent me one". They were adamant on only discussing things verbally, nothing was ever written.

After a month I finally got an informal "offer" by email, detailing salary, but being nonspecific on other benefits including stock option price and vesting period and bonuses, thus giving me no real way to seriously evaluate the offer due to lack of details.

Interview Questions
    • Analyze a piece of code which was incredibly badly written   View Answer

Compensation level was too low. Interviewers seemed too concerned with irrelevant, obscure details of implementation as opposed to big picture, important fundamentals and DSP and communications theory. Incompetent HR also made me wary of ever working there. But especially compensation offered was WAY too low for such a supposedly successful "top 100 companies to work for" company.

Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Qualcomm in January 2007.

After applying I received a reply in one week for on site interview.
    Overall the interview was pretty much technical. Questions ranged from regarding university project till the actual communication theory. I will advise to study your communications related modules properly before the interview.
    Also the background of the company is important but I think it depends on whom is interviewing. I was interviewed by only engineers and hence wasn't really asked as much house keeping questions as I would had normally been.

Communication Engineer Interview

first round was aptitude + basic programming +hardware/software
    all MCQs... first two sections are compulsory, and there is choice between hardware and software in 3rd section. (hardware questions are really tough). few students are shortlisted for interview. all the shortlisted students go through two technical interviews focused mainly on your resume and basics from your core discipline courses. then selected candidates are sent to HR.

Interview Questions
    • technical questions are not that difficult. HR may surprise you..   Answer Question

Staff Software Engineer II Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Qualcomm in August 2014.

Telephone Interview - Applied on linkedin - sent connection request to recruiter and team members. Got an interview invite after 2 weeks. 45mins interview. I didn't perform very well. they asked my projects and then gave some programming questions and on probability.

Interview Questions
    • Probability questions : Consider a triangle with 3 vertices and 3 edges with a person standing on the midpoint of each edge. Now if these 3 persons start moving towards a nearest vertex, find the probability of their collision   Answer Question

Systems Hardware Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Qualcomm.

First, go to qualcomm website and upload all the resume + personal info. Search which job you would apply for and wait till they contact you. I receive my email from them within 1 week and had 1 Hour Phone Interview

Interview Questions
    • Be prepare to answer very technical question. Review your EE knowledge otherwise you will be burned!   Answer Question

Software Engineer/Compiler Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm.

I had phone interviews with two different managers, both lasted about an hour. Phone interview was based on my PhD thesis, basic compiler theory and basic C++. Then I was called for an on-site interview at San Diego. I had to give a talk in front of the interview panel. Then I met 5 managers, including 1 lunch interview. Finally met the HR which was just about overall experience, expected salary etc.

The 1:1 interviews were mixed. They did not look very prepared or organized. I had to switch between rooms for one 1:1. One interviewer seemed bored and uninterested, working on other stuff while I was answering questions. He/she also assumed I am from a specific country which I am not. This interviewer looked very unprofessional to me. The lunch interviews are awkward and IMHO a bad idea. My final two went exceptionally well. The director was nice and encouraging. But I got no offer at the end, which was expected given the majority of my interviews were not great.

Intern Interview

I find out this job by school career center's Newsletter. I apply by send my resume to the recruiter's email. It took one week to get the phone interview. This position is locate at Boston instead of San Diego.
    The interview is easy and it took about one hour. Basic question about transistor and the project I did.

Interview Questions
    • Basic question about explain what makes an transistor.   Answer Question

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!