Qualcomm

Relevance Date Difficulty

Staffing Specialist Interview

Staffing Specialist
London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm.

Interview Details two onsite interviews plus three phone interviews, a little repetitive but it was good to get access to lots of different people to ask them questions. Had to speak with people in the US so those interviews were in the evening but that was fine. covered my general background, industry knowledge, most difficult hires, dealing with line managers,strengths, weaknesses

Interview Question – there were no difficult questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
London, England

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Qualcomm in July 2011.

Interview Details Telephonic-->F2F--> HR

There was some mis-communication between HR and tech manager. She passed on the wrong profile. Manager just asked me what happens when mobile is turned on.

Interview Question – What happens when mobile is switched on   View Answer

Interim Engineering Interview

Interim Engineering
Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Qualcomm in March 2010.

Interview Details Very technical interview; high emphasis on the skills required for the job; C/C++ and Assembly questions

Interview Question – Programming puzzles in C, which I was then asked to translate to assembly   Answer Question

Senior DSP Software Engineer Interview

Senior DSP Software Engineer
Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Qualcomm in November 2009.

Interview Details Applied online, called on phone interview within 2 weeks. The phone interview was from my would be manager who said the interview would take 30 minutes. Instead, we talked for 1 hour, 20 minutes.

Two weks later I get notice from some person at Qualcomm to tell me I need to have two more phone interviews with people in SAN DIEGO. WTF? I mean the job is in the UK so why do tech people in San Diego need to talk to me?

Anyway, talk to people in San Diego. First person calls a bit late, interview runs 45 mins instead of the allotted 30, which makes me late for the next call, and the next interviewer huffily blames the lateness on me. Both San Diego interviews were technical but amounted to mostly me explaining how to multiply two fixed point numbers and minor uninteresting C specific type questions. Nothing is said about the actual job..

Invited to onsite interview in the UK.
The in person interview was very technical with details not very relevant to the position. They asked me again how to multiply floating point numbers. You'd think that they'd know how to look it up by now! Then they asked me "what's a Q15 representation?" all questions that were rather too specific and irrelevant to a comms DSP position. Then I got a written test, with questions involving deciphering what a piece of code was doing. The piece of code was computing x raised to the power n but it was programmed in a very weird, obfuscated, inneficient way involving taking modulo of n to determine whether n was odd or even, etc (lots of unnecessary steps) that made me worry that that was the way they actually wrote code at Qualcomm. They also asked me what is j raised to the power j and when I answered "It is sqrt(minus one) raised to the sqrt(minus one) " they didn't like the answer.

They did not describe to me what the job entailed, nor gave me time to ask questions or look much at the real work they were doing other than a very cursory, superficial "lab tour".

Two weeks later, they said "they wanted to move forward with the offer".

Then silence. Two weeks after that I wrote to ask what was going on. They claimed they wanted to discuss the offer by phone. I asked "what offer since you haven't sent me one". They were adamant on only discussing things verbally, nothing was ever written.

After a month I finally got an informal "offer" by email, detailing salary, but being nonspecific on other benefits including stock option price and vesting period and bonuses, thus giving me no real way to seriously evaluate the offer due to lack of details.

Interview Question – Analyze a piece of code which was incredibly badly written   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Compensation level was too low. Interviewers seemed too concerned with irrelevant, obscure details of implementation as opposed to big picture, important fundamentals and DSP and communications theory. Incompetent HR also made me wary of ever working there. But especially compensation offered was WAY too low for such a supposedly successful "top 100 companies to work for" company.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Qualcomm in January 2007.

Interview Details After applying I received a reply in one week for on site interview.
Overall the interview was pretty much technical. Questions ranged from regarding university project till the actual communication theory. I will advise to study your communications related modules properly before the interview.
Also the background of the company is important but I think it depends on whom is interviewing. I was interviewed by only engineers and hence wasn't really asked as much house keeping questions as I would had normally been.

Interview Questions

Program Analyst Interview

Program Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm.

Interview Details will have the phone interview precreen first then determine on-site interviews. You will have the chance to meet up the people you are going to interact with in the future if you get hired. Very talent team members

Interview Question – how much do you know about Qualcomm and please give some example how you perform your previous job. How did you describe yourself. How do you consider yourself being a great program analyst   Answer Question

Interim Engineering Interview

Interim Engineering
Bridgewater, NJ (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Qualcomm in November 2013.

Interview Details I applied to Qualcomm, USA through the website. I got an interview call about 2 months after the application. Questions were focused on my resume and basic stochastic and probability. I got another interview call, similar set of questions. I was told the work description in San Diego office. Then 2 weeks later i had two interviews lined up with the Bridgewater office for a research intern. All four of my interviews went pretty good. After 2 weeks , I got an offer from the Bridgewater office and i accepted it. The entire process took about 3-4 months.

Interview Question – Suppose i choose two random variables uniformly distributed between [0,1]. What is the probability distribution of the maximum of the two random variables?   Answer Question

Software/Systems Test Engineer Interview

Software/Systems Test Engineer
San Diego, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Qualcomm in June 2014.

Interview Details I was contacted by email and set up a phone interview a few days later. I spoke briefly with the hiring manager about my past experience then he began to ask technical questions. The questions related to object oriented programming despite that the job description did not ask for that skill and my resume did not say I had it. I don't really understand why they contacted me and I assume there must be some miscommunication between HR and the hiring manager. I was quite disappointed by the experience as I had previously thought highly of the idea of working for Qualcomm.

Interview Question – When would you use a class in object oriented programming?   Answer Question

Senior IT/Network Engineer Interview

Senior IT/Network Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Qualcomm.

Interview Details Qualcomm has a fairly stringent interview process. Should you make it past the initial screen of being chosen from the large pool of applicants, you are then asked for a phone interview. Following this point, there are multiple on-site interviews. My interview started off with the two staff members giving an overview of the company, the actual questions were fairly brief (10-15mins) and then I was asked if I had any questions, for which I went fairly in depth and talked for another 15 mins until their conference room time ended. I felt the interview went great and received a similar feeling from the interviewers, however several days later I received a form letter from recruiting stating they were not moving forward with me as a candidate.

I was a little taken aback by this, as I felt the interview went very well and thought I would get the chance to 'prove myself' further in the in-person panels. Upon emailing the interviewers asking for feedback on what may have went wrong during our phone interview so that I could better myself for further opportunities, I received no response back....which was a little disappointing.

I feel that this is one of those companies where you really do need to know somebody on the inside to get a direct hire, or start off with their internship program, which at this point in my career is not a feasible option.

Interview Question – All of the questions were straight forward and consisted of common networking trivia.   Answer Question

Server Engineer Interview

Server Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm.

Interview Details I applied through a job portal. First Round was a Telephonic interview, then there were multiple onsite interview rounds All the rounds concentrated more on to data structures and algorithms. Compilable code was expected. Questions evolved based on the previous answers.

Interview Question – Find the number of occurances of a substring in a string   Answer Question

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!