Qualcomm

Relevance Date Difficulty

Staffing Specialist Interview

Staffing Specialist
London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm.

Interview Details two onsite interviews plus three phone interviews, a little repetitive but it was good to get access to lots of different people to ask them questions. Had to speak with people in the US so those interviews were in the evening but that was fine. covered my general background, industry knowledge, most difficult hires, dealing with line managers,strengths, weaknesses

Interview Question – there were no difficult questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
London, England

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Qualcomm in July 2011.

Interview Details Telephonic-->F2F--> HR

There was some mis-communication between HR and tech manager. She passed on the wrong profile. Manager just asked me what happens when mobile is turned on.

Interview Question – What happens when mobile is switched on   View Answer

Interim Engineering Interview

Interim Engineering
Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Qualcomm in March 2010.

Interview Details Very technical interview; high emphasis on the skills required for the job; C/C++ and Assembly questions

Interview Question – Programming puzzles in C, which I was then asked to translate to assembly   Answer Question

Senior DSP Software Engineer Interview

Senior DSP Software Engineer
Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Qualcomm in November 2009.

Interview Details Applied online, called on phone interview within 2 weeks. The phone interview was from my would be manager who said the interview would take 30 minutes. Instead, we talked for 1 hour, 20 minutes.

Two weks later I get notice from some person at Qualcomm to tell me I need to have two more phone interviews with people in SAN DIEGO. WTF? I mean the job is in the UK so why do tech people in San Diego need to talk to me?

Anyway, talk to people in San Diego. First person calls a bit late, interview runs 45 mins instead of the allotted 30, which makes me late for the next call, and the next interviewer huffily blames the lateness on me. Both San Diego interviews were technical but amounted to mostly me explaining how to multiply two fixed point numbers and minor uninteresting C specific type questions. Nothing is said about the actual job..

Invited to onsite interview in the UK.
The in person interview was very technical with details not very relevant to the position. They asked me again how to multiply floating point numbers. You'd think that they'd know how to look it up by now! Then they asked me "what's a Q15 representation?" all questions that were rather too specific and irrelevant to a comms DSP position. Then I got a written test, with questions involving deciphering what a piece of code was doing. The piece of code was computing x raised to the power n but it was programmed in a very weird, obfuscated, inneficient way involving taking modulo of n to determine whether n was odd or even, etc (lots of unnecessary steps) that made me worry that that was the way they actually wrote code at Qualcomm. They also asked me what is j raised to the power j and when I answered "It is sqrt(minus one) raised to the sqrt(minus one) " they didn't like the answer.

They did not describe to me what the job entailed, nor gave me time to ask questions or look much at the real work they were doing other than a very cursory, superficial "lab tour".

Two weeks later, they said "they wanted to move forward with the offer".

Then silence. Two weeks after that I wrote to ask what was going on. They claimed they wanted to discuss the offer by phone. I asked "what offer since you haven't sent me one". They were adamant on only discussing things verbally, nothing was ever written.

After a month I finally got an informal "offer" by email, detailing salary, but being nonspecific on other benefits including stock option price and vesting period and bonuses, thus giving me no real way to seriously evaluate the offer due to lack of details.

Interview Question – Analyze a piece of code which was incredibly badly written   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Compensation level was too low. Interviewers seemed too concerned with irrelevant, obscure details of implementation as opposed to big picture, important fundamentals and DSP and communications theory. Incompetent HR also made me wary of ever working there. But especially compensation offered was WAY too low for such a supposedly successful "top 100 companies to work for" company.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Qualcomm in January 2007.

Interview Details After applying I received a reply in one week for on site interview.
Overall the interview was pretty much technical. Questions ranged from regarding university project till the actual communication theory. I will advise to study your communications related modules properly before the interview.
Also the background of the company is important but I think it depends on whom is interviewing. I was interviewed by only engineers and hence wasn't really asked as much house keeping questions as I would had normally been.

Interview Questions

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Qualcomm

Interview Details I find out this job by school career center's Newsletter. I apply by send my resume to the recruiter's email. It took one week to get the phone interview. This position is locate at Boston instead of San Diego.
The interview is easy and it took about one hour. Basic question about transistor and the project I did.

Interview Question – Basic question about explain what makes an transistor.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
San Diego, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Qualcomm in June 2013.

Interview Details Interview process consists of two steps - phone screening and on-site interview. Phone screen was performed by two people and each session was 30 mins long. Primary objective of phone screen was resume review and verifying whether the person knows what they claim on their resume. Phone screen was done by engineers and all their questions were pertaining to my resume only.

Onsite interview process started with the HR email asking for possible interview dates. Once the dates are finalized the travel arrangements are managed by Balboa travels and they help book accommodation, rental car and flight tickets.

The on-site interview started with HR representative. Basically discussed about my resume, salary expectations and relocation assistance. This was followed by interviews by folks from management level - Director or Senior Director. Discussion was primarily about cellular communication and the difficulties in designing software for cellular base station. This was followed by a lunch break which was handled by an engineer. He talked to me about how a day looks like in Qualcomm and explained about the various perks offered by the company. After lunch i had two intensive technical interview session. All questions were about C programming and embedded software design. Emphasis was on function pointers and writing code with minimal memory footprint.

Interview Question – Questions related to sorting - stable or unstable sorting.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The start date required by the team was well before my course completion date.

Internship Interview

Internship

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Qualcomm in August 2013.

Interview Details online test followed by tr and hr.online test consisted of questions on aptitude,C, Digital electronics on flipflops,questions like ADSL,technology used in dish tvs,.In interview round questions were asked on latch and flipflop etc.,.

Interview Question – how can u weigh an odd ball among 8 balls using 2 steps(odd ball heavy or light is not given)   View Answers (2)

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
San Diego, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm.

Interview Details The Interviews were not easy, not difficult. Some standard programming questions like DFS, BFS, etc. If you have prepared for other companies, this one will be an easy pass.

I think the most problematic part of the interview process was the salary negotiation. I had a good offer from their competitors and the team was not even close to that figure. They didn't increase a single $ after me informing them about the salary figures. I was very interested in their work, but they gave me such a bad offer which I couldn't accept in any case.

Also, I think the overall company is gone weird especially the HR. I submitted a reimbursement and 3 months later they send me a check with $50 deducted explaining no reason. The interview reimbursement was within the range that they told me and was < $200 for three days of interview. The HR has lost its way. I am sure others will face the same after they get an offer.

I would rate the entire process as very poor.

Interview Question – Nothing much.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Compensation was bad.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Diego, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm in July 2014.

Interview Details Very good process. I was supposed to work as a contractor for Qualcomm. The hiring manager from Qualcomm directly called me to set up an interview. I was a referral candidate too. @ hours telephonic interview and I was extended the offer letter

Interview Question – Very silly questions like : What are the storage classes in C ? They asked OS related stuff, and a bit about Linked lists. Rest all questions were related to C, Data Structures and projects from my resume. Make sure you know your resume well. I had taken up Wireless Communications in my 2nd semester and was asked questions on that like : What did youlearn ? Explain in brief..etc..   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I went thru a Qualcomm approved vendor. Negotiated my salary from $32/hour to $35 / hour.

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!