Qualcomm Interview Questions

1,046 Interview Reviews

3.1

Staffing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm.

two onsite interviews plus three phone interviews, a little repetitive but it was good to get access to lots of different people to ask them questions. Had to speak with people in the US so those interviews were in the evening but that was fine. covered my general background, industry knowledge, most difficult hires, dealing with line managers,strengths, weaknesses

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Qualcomm in July 2011.

Telephonic-->F2F--> HR

There was some mis-communication between HR and tech manager. She passed on the wrong profile. Manager just asked me what happens when mobile is turned on.

Interview Questions
    • What happens when mobile is switched on   View Answer

Interim Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Qualcomm in March 2010.

Very technical interview; high emphasis on the skills required for the job; C/C++ and Assembly questions

Interview Questions
    • Programming puzzles in C, which I was then asked to translate to assembly   Answer Question

Senior DSP Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Qualcomm in November 2009.

Applied online, called on phone interview within 2 weeks. The phone interview was from my would be manager who said the interview would take 30 minutes. Instead, we talked for 1 hour, 20 minutes.

Two weks later I get notice from some person at Qualcomm to tell me I need to have two more phone interviews with people in SAN DIEGO. WTF? I mean the job is in the UK so why do tech people in San Diego need to talk to me?

Anyway, talk to people in San Diego. First person calls a bit late, interview runs 45 mins instead of the allotted 30, which makes me late for the next call, and the next interviewer huffily blames the lateness on me. Both San Diego interviews were technical but amounted to mostly me explaining how to multiply two fixed point numbers and minor uninteresting C specific type questions. Nothing is said about the actual job..

Invited to onsite interview in the UK.
    The in person interview was very technical with details not very relevant to the position. They asked me again how to multiply floating point numbers. You'd think that they'd know how to look it up by now! Then they asked me "what's a Q15 representation?" all questions that were rather too specific and irrelevant to a comms DSP position. Then I got a written test, with questions involving deciphering what a piece of code was doing. The piece of code was computing x raised to the power n but it was programmed in a very weird, obfuscated, inneficient way involving taking modulo of n to determine whether n was odd or even, etc (lots of unnecessary steps) that made me worry that that was the way they actually wrote code at Qualcomm. They also asked me what is j raised to the power j and when I answered "It is sqrt(minus one) raised to the sqrt(minus one) " they didn't like the answer.

They did not describe to me what the job entailed, nor gave me time to ask questions or look much at the real work they were doing other than a very cursory, superficial "lab tour".

Two weeks later, they said "they wanted to move forward with the offer".

Then silence. Two weeks after that I wrote to ask what was going on. They claimed they wanted to discuss the offer by phone. I asked "what offer since you haven't sent me one". They were adamant on only discussing things verbally, nothing was ever written.

After a month I finally got an informal "offer" by email, detailing salary, but being nonspecific on other benefits including stock option price and vesting period and bonuses, thus giving me no real way to seriously evaluate the offer due to lack of details.

Interview Questions
    • Analyze a piece of code which was incredibly badly written   View Answer

Compensation level was too low. Interviewers seemed too concerned with irrelevant, obscure details of implementation as opposed to big picture, important fundamentals and DSP and communications theory. Incompetent HR also made me wary of ever working there. But especially compensation offered was WAY too low for such a supposedly successful "top 100 companies to work for" company.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Qualcomm in January 2007.

After applying I received a reply in one week for on site interview.
    Overall the interview was pretty much technical. Questions ranged from regarding university project till the actual communication theory. I will advise to study your communications related modules properly before the interview.
    Also the background of the company is important but I think it depends on whom is interviewing. I was interviewed by only engineers and hence wasn't really asked as much house keeping questions as I would had normally been.

Interim Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm.

I applied online through Qualcomm's website. The recruiter first contacted me about 2 weeks after I applied, and my interview was scheduled for the following week.

The interview process was very friendly and conducted very efficiently. It consisted of two phone interviews, one HR interview and one technical interview. The HR interview was you very standard interview - i.e. Why Qualcomm? Why Computer Science? etc. The technical interview was also very standard, consisting of one coding problem, two brain teasers, and two conceptual questions.

After 2 weeks or so, I got a verbal offer over the phone, and a week later received the formal offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • Given 9 coins with one counterfeit, heavier coin, and a balance, what is the fewest number of comparisons that you need to find the counterfeit coin.   Answer Question

Staff Hardware Engineer Yield Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Qualcomm.

Applied through referral, called for on-site interview.
    Total - 8 rounds , Overall NONE of the interviewer is prepared, NONE of them are on-time.
    HR was the first one to interview me, she came after 10 mins of scheduled time and asked my present salary, other benefits and relocation etc. hardly 10 mins talk and then gave me a list of interviewer and schedules. Then she came to lobby and gave another list with some adjustments in schedules.
    I was waiting in the lobby for another 35 mins, first technical interviewer came (15 mins late) and took me to his office, he told that "I don't know why the hiring manager asked to interview you anyway tell me about yourself" and 30mins of white board interview.
    He dropped me in the lobby then next interviewer came 20 mins late, then the same set of questions, and took me to lunch in the cafeteria for lunch.
    Headed to another building, Third was the most important person, "Hiring manager", he came late by 10 mins and talked to me for a 5 mins then told me that he got another very important appointment so he rescheduled my interview to end of the day.
    Waiting in the lobby for another 40 mins.

Fourth person is somewhat OK, because he is NOT very late and then he asked for a resume from me. Same set of questions from "tell me about yourself to work experience etc."

Back to lobby, next person came to lobby 10 mins late. He told that he is late because he tried to print my resume, then he asked some very basics from electronics engineering, i did not do well on this round because i did not revise the basic circuit theory. He looked to be very disappointed nad asked me "what do you know in electronics?" and that round ends somehow,

He took me to the next interviewer's office, we were waiting in his office 10 mins, the interviewer came and looked to be shocked by seeing us in his office, He started asking some basic physics laws, i don't know if we use it anywhere in the Yield engineer job, managed to give some reasonable explanation.
    Back to lobby, wait there for another 1 hr, receptionist told me that the interview round cancelled as the next person is OUT due to some urgent work.The hiring manager asked me to wait for hte hiring manager.
    The hiring manager came back to me after office hour, took me to a conference room and he explained the job roles and responsibilities, team hierarchy etc. then some questions about my work experience and the paper i published recently etc. Finally he asked the usual question, "Do you have any question?" I took this time to ask him, I was completely gone mad by previous interviewer time management and questions. I asked him that, do we need to use any physics law in job? is there any problem with watches in QUALCOMM because NO one is ON time. He simply smiled and said "we are very busy, you know how busy we are in meetings bla bla"
    Then he told he will email me within 2 weeks. It's already 3 weeks, i sent a reminder as formality, he replied with the same sentences what he told me in the interview. Should i expect anything more from this team

Interview Questions
    • Can you describe the model of a beaker of "Sea water" in to electrical network or lumped element?   View Answer

Interim Engineering Interview

I sent in my resume. A few weeks later they got back to me telling me they would like to interview me. The interviews tested my knowledge of how C++ worked but, even though they were all coding questions, mostly tested my ability to think. I had a competing offer at the time with a strict time limit and they did a good job of getting back to me before my other offer expired.

Interview Questions
    • I don't feel like any question was particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm.

Career Fair at my University, gave my resume and called for an in-person 45 minute technical interview. Asked a lot of questions on C++. Asked if I knew about sorting algorithms and then asked me to sort 10 random numbers using mergesort. Also gave me a sheet of paper with a C++ function on it and asked me to point out the mistakes.

Interview Questions
    • The counterfeit coin problem with 12 coins   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Qualcomm.

Applied online for a college graduate job. It had multiple streams ranging from TCP/IP to Graphics drivers. I got an email from technical lead to schedule phone interview.
    Questions weren't hard.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what happens when you press a key in the keyboard. Explain Thrashing, Paging, floating point vs integer arithmetic.   Answer Question