Raytheon

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in September 2012.

Interview Details The interview could have been conducted better. Initially, they were 20 minutes late due to being held up at meetings, and they couldn't get in touch with the other person who was meant to be conducting the interview to my particular role. The technical manager was off sick (I had spoke to him on the phone the day before, and a week before also), so the "technical" aspect of the interview was then carried out by someone who would answer directly to me if I were to get the job (strange process) Some of the questions were pre-written from a sheet that you could tell were generic and not job role specific. They must use these for everyone Not ideal, and by the manner in which some of them were asked I could tell that the engineer asking them really didn't know a lot of the questionable content and that he was out of his comfort zone and felt that he knew I knew. However, he was expecting me to answer (which I did) and when I did, I could tell that he wouldn't have been able to tell whether or not my answers were correct or not, so both of us were glad once that was over. The job role however sounded more like program management and supervision and engineering all rolled into one.

Another individual came in, to give a company run down, and what to expect, what programs they've secured and what the future holds. It was a "PR script" and to be honest it sounded really really good. They appeared to be making a lot of moves, and I was very impressed until I asked what kind of time restraints I could expect for scheduling training and overseeing trainee work and what processes are in place to cover project work when trainee's are at uni or college, and there was a pause before answering that there isn't really any trainee's within the company, just a couple of apprentises... By then alarm bells were ringing. You judge a companies growth, and success expectation by the number of new young recruits required to be trained up. Any large industry with annual growth have dedicated "trainee" programs every year. This company had nothing and because of the abscenses, the unrealistic expectations of my role, put me off

Interview Question – "Can you multitask and do 2 different roles at the same time".... I was applying for the position of senior engineer, not senior engineer, plus manager, plus program manager!!   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The salary was very poor and lower than my previous work place despite expected to do the role of THREE people. They would have been better dropping it even further to put me on the 20% tax rate. I got a second offer but declined (salary was still less than previous work place)

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Dulles, VA (US)

I applied through another source and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in June 2014.

Interview Details I was first contacted by HR on June 5th and interviewed on June 11. I received a Letter of Intent on June 20, an offer on July 3 and was supposed to start on July 14, but a last minute glitch would have delayed that a week. A rather long process.

It could have been even longer as I pushed for a response from Raytheon after I received another job offer. Also, the day before I was supposed to start work their nurse contacted me and wanted a physician report before she would clear me for work. I had broken my wrist eight months earlier and hurt my knee in the fall, so the nurse wanted to confirm I could walk and type! Raytheon's medical group had taken a week to process my medical form, so by the time I could arrange to meet with a doctor and have Raytheon process the doctor's response it might have added a week delay to my start date.

When you accept an offer from Raytheon, you're given many different forms to fill out. You're also directed to more than 16 internal documents to read that describes work policies. One document listed another document that you were to bring with you on the first day, but didn't provide a link to the document. However, I found it in their online document library. I carefully read this document but could not agree to signing it. Here's the clause in their "Employee Agreement - Proprietary Information, Inventions and Other Intellectual Property" document that concerned me:

"2.10 Employee hereby grants Raytheon the right to use, reproduce and to authorize others to use and reproduce his/her name, picture, likeness, voice, biographical information and the like as Raytheon may deem appropriate."

There doesn't appear to be a time limit as to when they can use your name and other information. Also, they don't have to ask your permission or inform you when they use that information. I assume they're requiring this because they want to use your personal/professional information to market any ideas/patents/copyrights you develop as an employee. I'm a nobody, but I'm a somebody and I don't want my name and other information used without my consent or knowledge.

The other issue/concern I had related to the medical information they require before you start. They require completion of a 4-page medical form that asks about your visual, hearing and speech abilities, physical impairments, blood pressure, chest problems, allergies, chemical intolerances, occupational injuries, immune system deficiencies, medications and vaccines. They want the dates you had illnesses such as Measles, Mumps, Small Pox, Typhoid, BCG, tuberculosis skin test, etc. The last time I supplied that much information was for an insurance application.

They take the answers on this form seriously, and as I mentioned earlier, a broken wrist 8 months earlier concerned them. If I needed to use a cane or was old and had bad knees, I'm not sure I would have qualified for the job. If they're willing to hire people who are not able-bodied, they must be defining disabilities pretty narrowly.

I had been looking forward to working with the people I met during my interview. But Raytheon's paperwork and policies raised red flags. I feel it has a lot to say about how Raytheon treats it's people.

Interview Question – They did ask me examples where I lead teams and it wasn't something that was mentioned in the job description. So it was unexpected, but a good thing.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Unwilling to sign a document that stated: "Employee hereby grants Raytheon the right to use, reproduce and to authorize others to use and reproduce his/her name, picture, likeness, voice, biographical information and the like as Raytheon may deem appropriate." Also, Raytheon required me to get doctor's ok that I could type and walk given that I had fell 8 months prior and broke my wrist and hurt my knee. I can type - I had produced and publicly published code during that time and had no problem walking during the interview, but I would have had to pay a doctor to confirm it and not get paid while I waited for the Raytheon nurse to review the doctors notes. It took a week for the initial review of my medical record, so I'm assuming that would be another week without pay.

I liked the people I met and was looking forward to the work and working with them. But I would have been a Raytheon employee and subject to their policies and the way they treat people.

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II

I applied online - interviewed at Raytheon in January 2013.

Interview Details After clearing your aptitude round (which is conducted by AMCAT), you will face 3 other rounds. 1st one is data interpretation round in which you will be given test paper which you have to solve in 45 minutes. 1st interview will be completely based upon that. In 2nd interview you will be asked about your projects, some puzzles & guesstimates type of questions. Final round is HR.
Thats it. Clear these rounds and get selected.

Interview Question – i find data interpretation round the most difficult.

Interview Question – i find data interpretation round the most difficult   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Engineer I Interview

Quality Assurance Engineer I
El Paso, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Raytheon in March 2011.

Interview Details First an application is filled out on line, you also upload a copy of your resume. You then do a job search to see what is available. When you find a job you like you submit your application to the job.It can take sometime for you to get a call to set up an interview. It is required that a minimum number of interviews be conducted be for someone is selected. After being selected it can take about a week to get a letter of offer.

Interview Question – What made you decide you wanted to work here?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer II Interview

Senior Software Engineer II
Aurora, CO (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Raytheon in January 2012.

Interview Details You will submit to 500 jobs to get 1 interview. Then it is a one-on-one with engineers or managers for departments you may not even be interviewing for. Standard for defense contractors.

Interview Question – What are your strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Basic - same for all defense contractors

Very Easy Interview

Systems Engineer II Interview

Systems Engineer II

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in August 2011.

Interview Details The particular position for which I was hired happened to run out of a hiring budget before I was contacted, so my one and only interview was over the phone. I spoke to the hiring manager for approximately thirty minutes, but the majority of the time was spent listening to him explain the requirements of the job. There were one or two questions about my ability to work on a team.

Interview Question – Are you willing to work rotating 12 hours shifts with built in overtime?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The salary was acceptable for the area, and minimal relocation was provided.

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I interviewed at Raytheon in January 2010.

Interview Details it was short, they seemed interested, but they did not engage me. I felt like they did not have knowledge that relates to the position. After a couple of weeks, I received an email and it was with very little relocation for the distance of the move. They did not offer a teleworking position, even thought the job could be preformed remotely.

Interview Question – How would you eat a pie?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – location

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in November 2010.

Interview Details Talent acquisition group called me and set up an appointment to come into the office for an interview. I interviewed one at a time with the hiring manager and two colleagues. The interview process took a couple of hours. Talent acquisitions group sent me an offer packet.

Interview Question – How would you handle being given two tasks both with high priority?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Mechanical Engineer I
El Segundo, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Raytheon in March 2014.

Interview Details HR department was really responsive to emails and questions. The company paid for all travel expenses during the interview process and interviewers were very friendly while keeping me on my toes at the same time. Interviews were draining however, lasting more than an hour each with three back-to-back-to-back in very small offices with no windows.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Physics Engineer I Interview

Physics Engineer I
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Raytheon in November 2013.

Interview Details Hiring manager initially reached out to me and encouraged me to apply online. Weeks later the HR department called to schedule a in-person interview and arranged the travel details. I interviewed with 3 people and each of them were laid back and just wanting to hear about previous work experiences.

Interview Question – Tell us about yourself.   Answer Question

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!