Raytheon

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Aurora, CO (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in February 2009.

Interview Details I had applied for YEARS to Raytheon in Aurora, CO but never got so much as a phone call or email back from them. I applied through an employee referral and got an interview and phone call. I interviewed and then they made me a great offer that I accepted.
After I got hired it became apparent why I had never been interviewed before: they were only looking for women and minorities. I lucked out by interviewing at a time when they urgently needed qualified people for a project and were willing to hire a white male. However, when the company lost continuing contracts, the WHITE MALES where the first to get laid off with about 2 hours notice to be out of their desks. One guy (WHITE MALE) was only a year or two away from retirement when they laid him off. They females and minorities got moved off to other projects despite having worse work performance. They gave me 1 month severance without strings.
I have never been treated so unprofessional in my career. The company seeks for ETHNIC MINORITY AND GENDER DIVERSITY at the expense of other higher performing employees and their customers and industry will suffer as a result of gettting lower quality goods and services. They also actively promote the GLBT agenda through their corporate profits (Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual, Transgender). They tell employees NOT to discuss salary (in direct violation of Federal law), and encourage employees NOT to seek job interviews with competitors when they are in danger of losing their contracts. Then, if they win the contracts, they go back to the existing employees, make them RE-BID for their existing jobs with resumes and then PAY THEM LOWER WAGES to keep their existing jobs. Lots of corporate double-speak and smoke and mirrors to improve their bottom line: corporate profits.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Garland, TX (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Raytheon.

Interview Details smooth process.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – back and forth ... several times

Aurora, CO (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Raytheon in October 2009.

Interview Details I met with several different teams over a four hour period, with a lunch break in between. The process was fairly technical, along with behavioral questions. We also compared what I thought of Denver, in comparison to where I was currently living. The intensity of the interviews was fairly moderate.

Interview Question – Discuss a situation in which you missed a deadline and how you handled it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Was not able to negotiate. That is a skill I need to work on.

Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in September 2012.

Interview Details My most recent experience isn't typical as I worked here before and now have come back as a contractor. However, when I worked here a year ago I did many interviews so I have some knowledge of the typical scenario.

Expect a phone interview from a screener who is likely not technical.
Expect a phone interview from a developer who is technical.
Expect either a half day or full day panel interview
This is primarily a C++ shop with a smattering of other languages and scripting languages, so expect questions along those lines.
They are not big into random IQ and personality questions though this will vary depending on who gets assigned to your interview panel.

Interview Question – You will be expected to solve several design and coding problems on a white board.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – As a contract employee, I was able to negotiate my hourly rate.

El Segundo, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in July 2008.

Interview Details Initial interview took place on campus. 30 minute interview with current employee. Pretty straightforward, not technical. More behavioral. After a few weeks was called for on-site interview with 3 current employees. All were very nice. Mostly asked questions about previous job experience. Low pressure. Interviewers also spent time talking about themselves. After leaving the on-site interview, was emailed by one of the interviewers who said I did well and that things looked good.

Interview Question – Nothing really unexpected. Pretty easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Called by HR and given offer. Had multiple offers so asked them to match which they did and I accepted.

Tewksbury, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Raytheon in October 2009.

Interview Details The interview was scheduled over the phone through HR. The questions were rather technical and detailed in nature, and many areas concentrated on my ability to get security clearance.

At times, there were many situational questions, behavioral questions were not the main subject of the interview. Very technical interview, focusing on a variety of engineering concepts rather than software development. When the technology based questions did come, they were sporadic and really meant to gaudge the level of flexibility of working with varying development enviroments and technologies while adhering to pre-existing standards and protocols. There was also an emphasis on quality and testing and dealing with deadlines as well as how to prioritize work.

There were three seperate people interviewing, one was the hiring manager, and the other two seemed to be senior engineers who had years of experience with the company.

Interview Questions

• A very mind numbing question about memory allocation and writing straight to the OS/registers - I haven't done this in a while, but apparently it was important.   Answer Question
  • How would you work with pre-established guidelines if you feel they are not the most efficient or unnecessary?   View Answers (2)

Garland, TX (US)

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in February 2008.

Interview Details Initial contact was a phone call from the hiring manager expressing interest to conduct initial interview over the phone. During the initial phone interview, the hiring manager provided overview of the team and some of the products/services the team supported. Hiring manager then focused on my past experience, wanting to know what are my perceived strengths and weaknesses. After the initial phone interview, we've exchange few more emails and than I received contact from company HR (talent acquisition) representative to schedule onsite interview.
The onsite interview consists of taking you into a conference room and meeting with a panel of interviewers. In my case I had a panel interview consisted of the manager and the team leads. The onsite panel interview had more emphasis on skills and scenario based problem solving questions. Another aspect of the interview was how motivated I am regarding to the position. My enthusiasm and response to questions like "why do you want to leave your current job" to "what do you see yourself in 5 years" hinted to me that they wanted to see if someone can readily adjust to the unique working culture at this business site.

Interview Question – What do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Received offer package and I did negotiate on base salary which resulted in an updated offer with higher pay. No relocation which would have been nice. I would recommend that people consider the first offer as an opportunity to follow up. It seems to me that HR is aiming just right below the industrial average and by following up with the hiring manager on why you think the salary should be higher will allow the hiring manager to justify to HR and rework the offer package.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Raytheon

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!

Raytheon Videos

Raytheon – Why Work for Us?

Raytheon: Aspiring to be the most admired defense and aerospace systems company through our world-class people and technology Raytheon is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, homeland security… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Raytheon Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Raytheon employees and interview candidates.