Raytheon

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Systems Engineer II

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in August 2011.

Interview Details The particular position for which I was hired happened to run out of a hiring budget before I was contacted, so my one and only interview was over the phone. I spoke to the hiring manager for approximately thirty minutes, but the majority of the time was spent listening to him explain the requirements of the job. There were one or two questions about my ability to work on a team.

Interview Question – Are you willing to work rotating 12 hours shifts with built in overtime?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The salary was acceptable for the area, and minimal relocation was provided.

Tucson, AZ (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Raytheon in April 2009.

Interview Details I was recruited out of college. An interviewer came to my college and had scheduled interviews set up by the college of engineering. The interview took about 30 minutes. After this, I received an invitation for a recruiting weekend in Tucson. They flew me down, rented me a car, and put me in a very nice resort, along with over a hundred other soon-to-be college grads. We got a site tour, a few nice meals, and a morning of interviews with various departments.

Unfortunately, I was not mapped into the correct departments and had to request an interview with the department that ultimately hired me. Each interview was approximately 20 minutes, focusing on the work I had done in college and my area of expertise. Interviews as this level focused on technical expertise rather than obscure psychological questions.

It is important to note that after being hired, there is a lengthy and very in-depth application process for a DOD security clearance. This process goes into your past 5 to 7 years, depending on the level of clearance required. Applicants are required to list places they have lived, as well as individuals they have known and their contact information. It speeds the process considerably to have this information available beforehand.

Interview Question – I don't recall anything particularly difficult. However, they did ask me about non-linear control systems, a topic I had not yet studied.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As their offer was beyond what I was expecting, I did not negotiate. However, a friend of mine successfully negotiated an additional 2k by simply requesting it and emphasizing his expertise in the field.

Woburn, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in October 2009.

Interview Details I was interviewed by 3 different departments. Each dept. sent 5 or 6 people to do a 30-45 min interview. It took 2 days, and was exhausting. Being a new hire, there wasn't anything out of the ordinary or extremely difficult question-wise. Raytheon likes to hire new hires in a "college hire" event. THey will fly out/ask 10-15 people who have recently graduated or just finishing school. This is how I was hired. It was myself and 1 other person who accepted positions through this process, although I'm unsure how many were given offers.

Interview Question – Can you explain the difference between the 4 major object-oriented design ideas? Specifically, Polymorphism and Encapsulation.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was my first job, and the offer was higher than expected, so I accepted.

Systems Engineer II

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Raytheon in March 2013.

Interview Details First I did a brief phone interview of approximately 10 minutes. They asked me questions related to my resume and also about how extensive my skills were in Matlab. They were pleased with my answers and said they would contact me about a hiring event they were doing in Tucson toward the end of the month. At the event I interviewed with 3 separate departments and the interview questions were the usual personality fit questions, e.g. " tell us of a time you had several options for a project solution. What was your thought process behind it and what was the result?"

Interview Question – Tell of a time in which you had two employees who did not get along. How did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They said they wouldn't negotiate unless you had an offer from another company

Systems Engineer II

I applied through another source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon.

Interview Details I was invited out to one of Raytheon's Hiring Events in Tucson. You get an initial phone call or email probe asking whether or not you are looking for or interested in employment with Raytheon. Next, you'll get a call from a hiring manager from a department that is interested in you, who will do your screening interview, which basically consists of questions about your schoolwork or internship experience, and how it relates to their particular branch.

If you perform well, you will be invited out with about 150 other younger individuals (Age: 20 - mid 30s) at the Leows Ventana Canyon Resort in Tucson, AZ. It's a really spectacular event, where you get to meet and network with other recent grads/current students, as we all with active managers and engineers. You will be assigned 2-4 interviews (maybe more if you play your cards right), and will do them on site at the resort.

My particular interviews were entirely behavioral, I'm guessing had a dual B.S. and M.S. in Aerospace Engineering and they thought I would know my technical stuff pretty well. I did hear of other people getting some technical questions asked though, but none of them were mentioned to be mind blowingly difficult

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not try to negotiate, as the compensation was VERY reasonable.

Get the interview by being yourself. If you've been invited to the hiring fair... they. want. you. The only thing they are concerned with is your personality and desire.

Marlborough, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in November 2012.

Interview Details I applied online, and a week later, I received an email from an engineering fellow about a phone screening. He asked me what type of work I was interested in, and explained their work. He liked my responses, so arranged to fly me out for an on-site interview. HR arranged all the travel and stuff for me, and I arrived in Marlborough the afternoon before. The directions to the site were a bit trickier than I thought, so I arrived a few minutes late.

I had four interviews with four managers. First one just talked at me, but the second guy was pretty excited about technical questions, which covered a whole range (waveforms, networks, coding, filters), and third guy was kind of behavioral. Fourth interview was also just chatting, mainly about life in Massachusetts. I had lunch with one of the junior engineers, officially not an interview, and then had a follow up with the recruiter, who said she'd be in touch with me within a week. This was a Wednesday. I received a call from her on Monday, and the offer package arrived on Tuesday.

Interview Question – Why does the DVBS-2 standard use 16APSK instead 16PSK constellation? Also some questions about filtering, since I usually would have separated that from communications subjects (more towards signal processing)   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I think that relocation assistance was insufficient. HR was not willing to budge on it. I took another offer with another company that was local (same salary and everything)

Tucson, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in April 2012.

Interview Details The hiring process for me was a huge hiring event. Raytheon brought about one hundred or so potential employees (candidates) for a two day hiring event that felt like a Raytheon only career fair. They booked the Lowes Ventana Canyon hotel, so candidates feel nicely wined and dined. The first day is all information presentations such as benefits presentations, site tour, company history and performance presentation, local home purchasing information, information about local attractions, and apartment hunter point of contacts.

The evening before the interviews, candidates have the opportunity to meet department managers and arrange additional interviews. So candidates are brought in for a specific interview (the job you applied for and got in the door with), but then candidates spend a cocktail hour and half meeting the other department managers talking with employees in that section (present with the manager) and line up additional interview around the specific interview candidates were brought to the event for.

The interview takes about an hour. Nothing out of the norm for technical interviews, such as; asking about thesis, projects, skills, and minor technical challenges to verify technical competence.

One thing to note that bachelor’s will feel slightly out matched at Raytheon. I thought I would be above the mean going to the event with an MS, but there were mostly MS candidates at the event. There are even a lot of Ph.Ds at the event, but few candidates with a BS. I applied to Raytheon without an MS for years with nothing and the minute I applied as an MS I got the invite right away.

Well I hope this was helpful and good luck.

Interview Question – There was no really challenging question. I had to explain my thesis to people who did not know much about the nitch I was explaining.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – A little back and forth with my current employer, squeezed a signing bonus, and a better moving package (which has tens of thousands of dollars worth of support including house hold goods movement, temporary housing funds, daily per diem, lease break, house hunting trips paid for, milage, airfare, and a several thousand dollar misc fund) out of Raytheon. They were fairly immovable on salary, but the salary is very competitive.

Woburn, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in October 2012.

Interview Details I was called on a Tuesday to be scheduled for a group interview on Thursday. Prior to accepting, I had to fill out a more formal application form and I had to submit my SSN.

When I arrived, there was food served and a presentation was shown. There was a small group of 5 people with different experience levels. The presentation shows what they do and what benefits come with working for Raytheon. After a half hour presentation the group was split up to go to their individual interviews.

I had 3 interviews which lasted 2.5 hours. I realized now that these guys were the people I will be reporting to. In my offer letter it stated which person I will be reporting to and it was one of the 3 people that interviewed me.

After the interview, I was told by HR that they will be making their decision soon. The next day, I was contacted and told that Raytheon will be extending an offer. Approximately 10 business days after the verbal offer, I received my formal offer in the mail.

Interview Question – I fully prepared myself by seeing my career specialist and having a full mock interview with fake questions. Be prepared to bring questions to be interactive with the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I personally did not negotiate, because I thought the offer was more than fair.

Systems Engineer II

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in January 2008.

Interview Details Personality test; Past experience; Programming skills;

Interview Question – Explain the difference between a lossy and lossless compression. Give an example of each.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Got a better one

Marlborough, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Raytheon in August 2009.

Interview Details Had 6 interviews - know your resume well. Questions tend to build off of your resume. They may ask what if you did you project this way? Is it possible? What potential problems do you forsee?

Surprisingly, I didn't get any behavioral questions. I would be prepared with them just in case.

Interview Question – What if you did your project this way? What potential problems do you forsee?   View Answer

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!