Red Hat

Red Hat Software Engineer Interview Questions

2.8

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC (US)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC (US)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in May 2014.

I found the job description on local java meetup group. A recruiter post it. Then I got connected with her. She introduced me to the position. Then I had a screen technical interview with her. After a day, she told me I passed it. After that, she told me that she would talk with a software manager and schedule a phone interview.
I waited for about 10 days before they gave me the call. The interview was very technical. Then the recruiter called me after 3 hrs to tell me I was denied.

Interview Questions
  • thread
    multi thread
    hash map/map/hash table

iterator
    static
    final

pass by reference/value
    private/public/protected/default
    constructor/method/class

linked list and array list
    hash table

final
    abstract class

E-R model
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Red Hat

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Neuchâtel (Switzerland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Neuchâtel (Switzerland)

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Red Hat.

I mailed a contact I knew 2x. The first time they had no need, the 2nd time the had an open position. Since I was was commiter in a opensource project they were interested and made me meet them. We had a quick talk about my experience, no detailled technical discussions. I was then ask to point them to source code I wrote and to some references in my opensource project. They got asked and since all this seemed positive to them, the deal was perfect, I got hired! Awesome!

Interview Questions
    • None, my opensource source-code and references were proof enough.   Answer Question
    by phone, very easy, my requested salary was immediately accepted since it was matching their grid and budget.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat.

Usually you need to have a interview only one time. The interview is a kind of casual and you don't need to wear suites. Usually interviewer don't care about formality.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brno (Czech Republic)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brno (Czech Republic)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat in January 2014.

I applied to the job via their jobs site. I got an email in about two weeks and set up a phone interview with a recruiter. Once we spoke, he said a hiring manager will be in touch with me by the end of the week. Two months and a few reminders (which he suggested I should send periodically) later, I got a copy-pasted response that the position had been filled. It's pretty disappointing that I did not even get a technical interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thiruvananthapuram (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thiruvananthapuram (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Red Hat in July 2013.

The first round contained aptitude and programming questions based on C .From it , half of the candidates were eliminated . It was followed by two technical interviews in which they mostly ask questions on your project(very important) ,data structures , operating systems and on your choice of programming language (c/java) . The HR round is just for formality and they give you the offer

Interview Questions
    • You are given a binary tree as input , find whether the tree is a BST or not .   View Answer

1. Aptitude + Tech objective type totally consisting of 60 questions
    2. Short listed candidates had a 1.5 hour C program implementation round, There were 3 questions. Two on dynamic allocation. The other one was a simple program to test your logical skills.
    3. Short listed candidates had 1:1 tech interview. Questions were mostly on OS and C.
    4. Short listed candidates had a panel tech interview. Questions were on Unix System programming, OS, C, Data Structures.
    5. Short listed candidates had a 1;! HR interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about signaling in Unix system programming. As I was answering, the topic changed into Microprocessor and HW, Was not prepared for that.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Red Hat.

Whole process was pretty smooth and has been handled pretty well.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Red Hat in November 2011.

It took a while. First of all, I submited my resume using web form on redhat.com page. I had no response from HR or anything. I was waiting indefinitely. Only contract with team members I wanted to work with keept my hope.

I had few interviews with team leader and second team member. Then I've got short talk with my manager.

The most unexpected part was the contract with recruiter. I was accepted by team members and manager in November. The recruiter come back to me in February. So after more than three months HR team was able to proceed whole process.

After negotiations things went smoothly, but waiting was a nightmare.

Interview Questions
    • Since I was recommended by other person I had no tests. Questions was more about overall experience.   Answer Question
    Since I was accepted to be an contractor only one thing I was able to negotiate was salary. The strange thing is that salary is negotiated in local currency but payment was made in foreign currency.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Red Hat in July 2011.

The entire process was very easy and friendly. Red Hat puts quite a bit of weight into employee referrals. My initial contacts were with the same person in HR who was very responsive over email and phone. Since I don't live near the main headquarters, I was able to do all of my interviews over the phone. One of which, I went into one of their sales offices to use a conference room. I had 3 or 4 interviews with engineers and direct managers on the team (nobody from HR). They asked a few stock scenario type questions ("Tell me about a time you ..."). Then the rest of the time was technical discussions (didn't really feel like an interview, just like chatting over coffee). The interviewers had obviously read my resume and dug into some projects and were curious about details.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how SSH private key authentication works   View Answer
    They were pretty set on the salary for the position, which was slightly lower than I was hoping for, but more than my previous salary, so I didn't have much room for negotiation. The stock bonus was very generous. The ability to work fully remotely was not even the slightest problem despite the fact that the job posting was technically for an on-site position at one of their engineering offices.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Red Hat in August 2009.

Initially contacted by recruiter, then manager. Talked with manager several times before moving forward with an individual screening, then a team interview. Lots of questions about what I do and what I've done and just an overall feel for how I might potentially fit into the team. Seemed like - and still seems like a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • I got quizzed on a few python intricacies but I can't recall them anymore since that was over 2 years ago.   Answer Question
    There wasn't really any negotiation. I think Red Hat thinks that they have really great compensation because it was kind of take it or leave it. I still wish I tried harder.