Red Hat

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Raleigh, NC (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Red Hat in May 2014.

Interview Details I found the job description on local java meetup group. A recruiter post it. Then I got connected with her. She introduced me to the position. Then I had a screen technical interview with her. After a day, she told me I passed it. After that, she told me that she would talk with a software manager and schedule a phone interview.
I waited for about 10 days before they gave me the call. The interview was very technical. Then the recruiter called me after 3 hrs to tell me I was denied.

Interview Question – thread

final

pass by reference/value
private/public/protected/default
constructor/method/class

linked list and array list
hash table

final
abstract class

E-R model
  Answer Question

Brno (Czech Republic)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Red Hat in January 2014.

Interview Details I applied to the job via their jobs site. I got an email in about two weeks and set up a phone interview with a recruiter. Once we spoke, he said a hiring manager will be in touch with me by the end of the week. Two months and a few reminders (which he suggested I should send periodically) later, I got a copy-pasted response that the position had been filled. It's pretty disappointing that I did not even get a technical interview.

Interview Question – No technical questions were asked.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Neuchâtel (Switzerland)

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview Details I mailed a contact I knew 2x. The first time they had no need, the 2nd time the had an open position. Since I was was commiter in a opensource project they were interested and made me meet them. We had a quick talk about my experience, no detailled technical discussions. I was then ask to point them to source code I wrote and to some references in my opensource project. They got asked and since all this seemed positive to them, the deal was perfect, I got hired! Awesome!

Interview Question – None, my opensource source-code and references were proof enough.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – by phone, very easy, my requested salary was immediately accepted since it was matching their grid and budget.

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview Details Usually you need to have a interview only one time. The interview is a kind of casual and you don't need to wear suites. Usually interviewer don't care about formality.

Interview Question – Not in particular.   Answer Question

Thiruvananthapuram (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Red Hat in July 2013.

Interview Details The first round contained aptitude and programming questions based on C .From it , half of the candidates were eliminated . It was followed by two technical interviews in which they mostly ask questions on your project(very important) ,data structures , operating systems and on your choice of programming language (c/java) . The HR round is just for formality and they give you the offer

Interview Question – You are given a binary tree as input , find whether the tree is a BST or not .   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Red Hat in November 2011.

Interview Details It took a while. First of all, I submited my resume using web form on redhat.com page. I had no response from HR or anything. I was waiting indefinitely. Only contract with team members I wanted to work with keept my hope.

I had few interviews with team leader and second team member. Then I've got short talk with my manager.

The most unexpected part was the contract with recruiter. I was accepted by team members and manager in November. The recruiter come back to me in February. So after more than three months HR team was able to proceed whole process.

After negotiations things went smoothly, but waiting was a nightmare.

Interview Question – Since I was recommended by other person I had no tests. Questions was more about overall experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since I was accepted to be an contractor only one thing I was able to negotiate was salary. The strange thing is that salary is negotiated in local currency but payment was made in foreign currency.

Remote, OR (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Red Hat in August 2009.

Interview Details Initially contacted by recruiter, then manager. Talked with manager several times before moving forward with an individual screening, then a team interview. Lots of questions about what I do and what I've done and just an overall feel for how I might potentially fit into the team. Seemed like - and still seems like a good fit.

Interview Question – I got quizzed on a few python intricacies but I can't recall them anymore since that was over 2 years ago.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't really any negotiation. I think Red Hat thinks that they have really great compensation because it was kind of take it or leave it. I still wish I tried harder.

Interviewed at Red Hat

Interview Details 1. Aptitude + Tech objective type totally consisting of 60 questions
2. Short listed candidates had a 1.5 hour C program implementation round, There were 3 questions. Two on dynamic allocation. The other one was a simple program to test your logical skills.
3. Short listed candidates had 1:1 tech interview. Questions were mostly on OS and C.
4. Short listed candidates had a panel tech interview. Questions were on Unix System programming, OS, C, Data Structures.
5. Short listed candidates had a 1;! HR interview.

Interview Question – I was asked about signaling in Unix system programming. As I was answering, the topic changed into Microprocessor and HW, Was not prepared for that.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through another source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview Details Whole process was pretty smooth and has been handled pretty well.

Interview Question – Brush up on algorithms, Object Oriented Concepts.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Red Hat in July 2011.

Interview Details The entire process was very easy and friendly. Red Hat puts quite a bit of weight into employee referrals. My initial contacts were with the same person in HR who was very responsive over email and phone. Since I don't live near the main headquarters, I was able to do all of my interviews over the phone. One of which, I went into one of their sales offices to use a conference room. I had 3 or 4 interviews with engineers and direct managers on the team (nobody from HR). They asked a few stock scenario type questions ("Tell me about a time you ..."). Then the rest of the time was technical discussions (didn't really feel like an interview, just like chatting over coffee). The interviewers had obviously read my resume and dug into some projects and were curious about details.

Interview Question – Describe how SSH private key authentication works   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They were pretty set on the salary for the position, which was slightly lower than I was hoping for, but more than my previous salary, so I didn't have much room for negotiation. The stock bonus was very generous. The ability to work fully remotely was not even the slightest problem despite the fact that the job posting was technically for an on-site position at one of their engineering offices.

Worked for Red Hat? Contribute to the Community!