Ross Stores

Getting the Interview

339 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Leandro, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online in February of 2014, then totally forgot that I submitted an application. They finally called me back about a full month later, and asked me to go in for an interview. I went in and waited a whole hour and twenty minutes in the front of the store next to the exit (not in the break room or anything) before I was called in. I met the manager, who apologized for the wait and explained that the computers were running slowly, and that was supposed to make up for it I guess.
Anyways, the questions were easy. Tell me about yourself, how would you handle an angry customer?, What do you do when you have a lot of work to do in a little amount of time, asked about hours. I have a few friends who work at the store so I mentioned that I'd heard good things from them about working there, and when asked about angry customers I said that I would try to talk to them calmly, and make sure they know that I'm trying to do as much as I could to understand their situation. She offered me a job on the spot, provided that my background check came thru, and explained very briefly about what to expect, such as what to wear, how I will get trained.
Now, this is the part that is difficult. It's been nearly a month since I've been hired and I haven't been called for training. I have called them every week, asking to get scheduled for training but I always get told that either the manager who hired me isn't there, or to call back later. I went into the store twice, and was finally told to come in for Orientation on a Wednesday at 11am. I showed up.. and the manager wasn't even in. I wasted a bunch of my time getting ready and getting there just to be told, i have to wait another week. I am anxious to start this job, I need the money. Other places have called me for interviews but I turned them down because I am waiting for Ross to call me back.

Interview Question – How would you handle an angry customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Ross Stores in June 2013.

Interview Details 2 days after i did an online appication I was called in for an interview. The interview included me and 5 other hirees and the hiring manager. The interview was pretty cool and fun. Teh next day after the interview I was offered the job.

Interview Question – All of the questions were easy.   Answer Question

Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Ross Stores in June 2011.

Interview Details I applied online and was called for an interview the next day. I was asked very basic interview questions such as what I find challenging about dealing with people, my strengths, etc.

Interview Question – They were all simple interview questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Lafayette, LA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in March 2012.

Interview Details general questions about availability, interview with store manager and assistant store manager independently, took background check a few weeks to come back

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – wanted to start me at $7.25 an hour but i declined due to previous experience of 5 years in customer service

Retail Associate Interview

Waco, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in January 2011.

Interview Details Applied, heard from them within a week.

Interview Question – Pretty generic interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None really.

Stock Associate Interview

Napa, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in October 2012.

Interview Details They called me over the phone and asked if I was available anytime. When I agreed they hired me

Interview Question – Nothing. They didn't even ask any questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Fresno, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in September 2013.

Interview Details It was very easy. I actually had a lot of fun being there it was fun because he was so laid back, cool, and funny. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Interview Question – They were all easy questions.   Answer Question

Retail Associate Interview

Hillsboro, OR (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Ross Stores in October 2013.

Interview Details The interview process included two interviews one with an assistant manager and a final with the store manager. The first interview included very general easy to answer questions about customer service, teamwork, dependability, and reliability. The second interview asked more probing questions and explained realistically what to expect from the position.

Interview Question – All the questions were very straight forward: Tell me about the most dependable worker you know? Why is a clean and recovered sales floor important?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Ross Stores in June 2012.

Interview Details Places my resume online. They called me. The interview consisted of my telling them I had very little experience working in retail and them asking about my availability...and that was it. Filled out the paperwork and started the next day.

Interview Question – There were no real questions asked   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't a negotiation phase. It was here is what we will pay you. When can you start

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Merced, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Ross Stores in March 2014.

Interview Details It was a group interview, about 6 people including myself. First interview included questions like why would you like to work for them, double checking availability, are you a fast learner, can you work in a fast paced environment, how do you handle customers. They also ask questions like how would you handle a situation with customers. At the end of the interview they let you know they will be giving the potential candidates a call for a second interview with the store manager. Second interview was with the store manager.

Interview Question – Unexpected question was regarding opportunity.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating, it's minimum wage.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ross Stores

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ross Stores interview questions and advice. All 339 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Ross Stores employees and interview candidates.