Royal Bank of Scotland

Updated 8 Dec 2014
Updated 8 Dec 2014

Graduate - Risk Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Phone interview followed very closely the provided description. First ~15-20 mins were dedicated to motivational questions: why RBS, why this programme, how do you see yourself with the company in 5 years, etc. Then there were 2 competency-based questions: describe a time you helped somebody to use their potential to reach a challenging goal; describe a time when you stood up for what you believe was right. For each question they asked follow up questions, so overall each situation was discussed for ~10-15 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • None, the give a very good explanation of what to expect.   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Had to complete online tests - one situational and 2 psychometric tests. Quite difficult

Followed by a telephone interview which I passed. I am now waiting to see if I have got on to the assessment centre

Interview Questions
    • Competency questions involving leadership and doing the right thing   View Answer

Markets Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in November 2014.

Applied online and completed online testing (early November), invited to assessment centre exactly a week after. 12 people attended the assessment centre in late November and we were told this was the first one. The assessment centre consisted of a group trading game (teams act as both market makers and traders, where the closing value is the sum of nine die rolls... know how a spread works), presentation about a mobile banking business case and two interviews (one competency, one logic and competency). No technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • How many people cycle to work in the UK?   Answer Question
    • There are two planes, one travelling at 500mph and another that leaves half an hour later at 600mph. How long until the second plane catches up with the first?   View Answer
    • Three printing companies can respectively produce 1000, 2000 and 3000 copies every six hours. If they are all printing at the same time, how long until they produce 1000 copies?   View Answer
    • Describe to me a news story that you have been following?   Answer Question
    • When have you helped someone achieve their goal?
      Why RBS when there is negative press?
      Why only a fixed income and FX trading floor?
      What division do you see yourself working in?
      When have you made an impact that's improved a business?
      What role do you usually play within a team?

Answer Question

Graduate Analyst- Services- Transformation and Change Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in November 2014.

Had my phone interview last week. About 25 mins long. The questions were quite predictable, but required a lot of examples from university and previous employment. Before the interview had to do a logical, numerical and situational tests.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation when you challenged something that was not compatible with your principles.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

1st stage:
    why RBS, why this division, and all the fit questions

2nd stage:
    Relationship b/w bond price and interest rate
    Briefly describe the I/S from top to bottom
    Tell me the outlook of Korean economy in 2010
    Are you investing now?

Interview Questions
    • 1. Define a volatility based on Statistics
      2. Define a price of bond

Answer Question

Graduate Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Filled out an initial application form, this was then followed by an initial screening phone interview asking to clarify a few details as well as the few straight forward questions about why and how I applied for the position. This was then followed by a further more detailed phone interview taking around 30 minutes. where i was asked a few situational questions these were straightforward, finally they asked me to give details of when I followed each of the four main company ideals. After this they contacted me to attend an assessment day a month later, however i had already accepted an offer for a grad role so had to cancel my attendance.

Interview Questions
    • Give examples of a time when you followed each of RBS's four values and the eventual outcome.   Answer Question

CIB Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Assessment centre on last day of Spring Week in London, Bishopsgate. Interview plus presentation. Competency questions had already been covered when interviewing for Spring Week, so the questions this time around were more technical.

Interview Questions
    • For the case study at hand, what debt to EBITDA ratio would you advise?   Answer Question

Trade Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in August 2014.

Through RBS partners Allegis Group Services.
    Very simple process. Sent CV off. Allegis forwarded to hiring manager at RBS. Invited for interview. Simple half hour interview. A bit about myself and back ground. (What i had done in work and university). A few (3/4) competency based question. What i knew about the products (derivatives) (technical aspect).

Interview Questions
    • Why did i want to join considering the equities side was being sold off.   Answer Question
    6 month initial contract through AGS to start.

Technology (M&IB) Graduate Programmer 2014 Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Fill out application online, attach a CV and covering letter, and complete a personality test. Different graduate programmes might have different reasoning tests. For Technology (M&IB) it was a logical reasoning test (has to be one of the most difficult tests I've ever seen, I think it was adaptive, questions got more difficult). Followed by a phone interview, which lasted about 30 mins, these are carried out by an external company. There were 3 questions and each had a few follow-up questions with it. 1. Why have you applied at RBS? (Follow up questions included 'do you think RBS are facing any challenges at the moment?') 2. Describe a time when you helped someone else achieve a goal. 3. Asked to rate self on a scale from 1-10 on doing the right thing. Which led to "describe a time when you were asked to do something you felt was wrong? Why did you feel that it was wrong? What actions did you take?"

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you helped someone else achieve a goal. (Requested not to use an example from university)   Answer Question

CFD Business Analyst Interview

Applied for the job via a recruitment agency. Process took around 3 weeks and included 3 interviews with various members of the team. Interviews were quite casual but relatively technical. RBS were very quick in setting up the interviews and HR appeared to do a good job.