Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions

Updated 15 Oct 2014
Updated 15 Oct 2014

Graduate Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Filled out an initial application form, this was then followed by an initial screening phone interview asking to clarify a few details as well as the few straight forward questions about why and how I applied for the position. This was then followed by a further more detailed phone interview taking around 30 minutes. where i was asked a few situational questions these were straightforward, finally they asked me to give details of when I followed each of the four main company ideals. After this they contacted me to attend an assessment day a month later, however i had already accepted an offer for a grad role so had to cancel my attendance.

Interview Questions
    • Give examples of a time when you followed each of RBS's four values and the eventual outcome.   Answer Question

CIB Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Assessment centre on last day of Spring Week in London, Bishopsgate. Interview plus presentation. Competency questions had already been covered when interviewing for Spring Week, so the questions this time around were more technical.

Interview Questions
    • For the case study at hand, what debt to EBITDA ratio would you advise?   Answer Question

Technology (M&IB) Graduate Programmer 2014 Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Fill out application online, attach a CV and covering letter, and complete a personality test. Different graduate programmes might have different reasoning tests. For Technology (M&IB) it was a logical reasoning test (has to be one of the most difficult tests I've ever seen, I think it was adaptive, questions got more difficult). Followed by a phone interview, which lasted about 30 mins, these are carried out by an external company. There were 3 questions and each had a few follow-up questions with it. 1. Why have you applied at RBS? (Follow up questions included 'do you think RBS are facing any challenges at the moment?') 2. Describe a time when you helped someone else achieve a goal. 3. Asked to rate self on a scale from 1-10 on doing the right thing. Which led to "describe a time when you were asked to do something you felt was wrong? Why did you feel that it was wrong? What actions did you take?"

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you helped someone else achieve a goal. (Requested not to use an example from university)   Answer Question

CFD Business Analyst Interview

Applied for the job via a recruitment agency. Process took around 3 weeks and included 3 interviews with various members of the team. Interviews were quite casual but relatively technical. RBS were very quick in setting up the interviews and HR appeared to do a good job.

Spring Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

I was contacted via email to inform me of an on campus assessment centre the following week. The assessment centre consisted of two interviews. Both had a large competency component to them with the second interview also posing some logical questions. Overall the interviews were reasonably laid back with both interviewers seeming friendly and approachable to any questions that i had afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • how can you cut a cake into 8 identical slices with only three cuts.   View Answer

Analyst Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

One stage process.
    Questions on Core Java and SQL. Written Java and SQL test. normal level nothing difficult.
    Then detailed questions on last project. In my case it was a product development, so questions like what is different in the product compared to other known products being used in the industry. questions about how it works.

Interview Questions
    • Why develop another open source product when there is already a good one available.   Answer Question

Risk Management Intern Interview

Online application, online tests, phone interview, assessment centre. For the maths make sure you practise the correct tests (not SHL) and for the assessment centre follow their instructions carefully. They don't try and catch you out, but they do expect you to read in detail the packs they give you and understand basic financial statements.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part was the presentation to a colleague, in which you had to stand your ground in a role play exercise with senior management   Answer Question

Private Banking Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

The interview was essentially split in to two parts. First off competancy based questions,followed by more job and bank specific questions. The whole process on average lasts 45-60 minutes depending on how detailed you are with your responses.

Interview Questions
    • "Name a time you had to deal with a difficult colleague and how did you overcome the situation!   View Answer
    Little to no negotiation, unless there are staff shortages or you have a very strong CV you get what you're offered. At most you may be able to haggle and extra £500 on your annual salary

Graduate Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Very efficient process.

Insurance Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

2 interviews - 1 telephone, 1 face-to-face if successful

Interview Questions
    • How have you persuaded a negative customer to purchase your products/service?   Answer Question