Royal Bank of Scotland

Getting the Interview

207 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Spring Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview Details I was contacted via email to inform me of an on campus assessment centre the following week. The assessment centre consisted of two interviews. Both had a large competency component to them with the second interview also posing some logical questions. Overall the interviews were reasonably laid back with both interviewers seeming friendly and approachable to any questions that i had afterwards.

Interview Question – how can you cut a cake into 8 identical slices with only three cuts.   View Answer

Graduate Trainee Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in November 2013.

Interview Details After completing online application through RBS, I had to do 3 separate tests online. First one was logical reasoning, second was quantitative and third was business scenario questions. Never had to do the third one before with other applications. It was mainly questions like what would you do if you had an argument with another co-worker. After passing the tests, they will invite you to arrange a time for phone interview. It was someone on the other end reading questions off a list and typing out your responses. The interview was awkward and they don't ask you more than 4-5 questions. There's no follow up and they expect you to talk for 30-45 minutes.

Interview Question – Questions were very standard. Mostly competency based, nothing to catch you out. I think the most important thing they look for is if you understand the details their grad program offers.   Answer Question

Analyst Developer Interview

London, England

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview Details One stage process.
Questions on Core Java and SQL. Written Java and SQL test. normal level nothing difficult.
Then detailed questions on last project. In my case it was a product development, so questions like what is different in the product compared to other known products being used in the industry. questions about how it works.

Interview Question – Why develop another open source product when there is already a good one available.   Answer Question

Spring Intern Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in January 2014.

Interview Details Applied online, then had to take many online tests including a situational judgement, maths and logical test. Invited to a long telephone interview (45mins-1hour) containing questions relating to my interests in the company itself, the challenges it faced and then general situational questions. Called to confirm the placement within a week.

Interview Question – What challenges are RBS facing in the present and in the future?   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

London, England

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in August 2011.

Interview Details Interviews are competency based as well as technical. Competency questions are generally situational, such as "Describe a situation where you encountered conflict in the workplace - what did you do to overcome?" Answers expected in the standard format Situation/Problem Encountered/Actions Taken.
I was moving from contract to a permanent role but still had to undergo this formal competency process.

Interview Question – Also had to prepare a 15 min technical presentation on any topic of my choosing followed by Q&A.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was a contractor moving to permanent so was able to negotiate my desired salary ahead of starting.

Risk Management Intern Interview

Interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland

Interview Details Online application, online tests, phone interview, assessment centre. For the maths make sure you practise the correct tests (not SHL) and for the assessment centre follow their instructions carefully. They don't try and catch you out, but they do expect you to read in detail the packs they give you and understand basic financial statements.

Interview Question – Most difficult part was the presentation to a colleague, in which you had to stand your ground in a role play exercise with senior management   Answer Question

Private Banking Officer Interview

Reading, England

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview Details The interview was essentially split in to two parts. First off competancy based questions,followed by more job and bank specific questions. The whole process on average lasts 45-60 minutes depending on how detailed you are with your responses.

Interview Question – "Name a time you had to deal with a difficult colleague and how did you overcome the situation!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Little to no negotiation, unless there are staff shortages or you have a very strong CV you get what you're offered. At most you may be able to haggle and extra £500 on your annual salary

FInance Trader Analyst Interview

London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in October 2011.

Interview Details 4 interviews consisting of competency based questions. Name a time you dealt with a difficult person. Solved a problem.

Interview Question – What is a CDS?   Answer Question

Graduate Analyst Interview

Graduate Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview Details Very efficient process.

Interview Question – role play exercise was very good   Answer Question

Insurance Officer Interview

London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview Details 2 interviews - 1 telephone, 1 face-to-face if successful

Interview Question – How have you persuaded a negative customer to purchase your products/service?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Royal Bank of Scotland

Worked for Royal Bank of Scotland? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Royal Bank of Scotland interview questions and advice. All 207 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Royal Bank of Scotland employees and interview candidates.