Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014
Updated Sep 11, 2014

3.5

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in September 2012.

1. Online Application - CV & Cover Letter (optional but worth including to show you really want it)
    2. Online tests - numerical and situational (typical online test system)
    3. Telephone Interview (CAR format with a case study)

Interview Questions
    • Did not realise the Capacity aspect was a case study, so definitely a reason to be active on here to do your research before hand.   Answer Question

Interview Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in August 2013.

My first telephone interview ever. Was very tough. Two people were carrying out the interview. One was asking the question and the other one making notes. Around 1- 1.5 hour. They test you on the CAR framework and then asked you to discuss a topic. Then discuss about your job preference.

Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Their processing time is really fast. I received my phone interview just less than 2 weeks after I submitted my application online. However, the phone interview is really tough and took a longer time than I expected (Approx 1.5 hours). They asked so many questions in terms of my previous experiences. For future candidates, just remember to prepare as many examples as possible.

Interview Questions
    • They asked to provide so many examples for one skills.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Very friendly, first half was why I wanted to Join Shell. Second half was about competencies

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in September 2013.

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Shell Oil in September 2013.

Interview Details – Application for SRD (Shell Recruitment Day) UK graduate Programme.

Stage 1: Online application and CV submission (submitted back in August 2013). I then received an invitation to complete a competency based online assessment followed by a timed online numerical reasoning test.

Stage 2: Two days later I received an email invitation for an interview. A few days later I received a call from a scheduling coordinator to arrange an interview date.

My interview was face-to-face. The staff at Shell were friendly. They try to make you feel relaxed and welcome. The interview lasted about an hour. The first part was a series scenario-based questions where I was expected to demonstrate CAR (Capacity, Achievement, Relationships).

E.g. "Can you tell me about a time when you had to plan for XYZ?"

"Were there any challenges and how did you tackle them?"

and

"Can you give me another example of when you had to do XYZ?"

The second part of the interview was an opportunity to discuss CV, career goals, ask questions and get to know a little more about the company and the kind of roles that might be available.

After the interview I was told I would be contacted within a week or so to find out whether or not I had progressed to the next stage. I didn't hear back for a month. But eventually I received an email saying I had been invited for the SRD.

Stage 3: The SRD was a day and a half of meetings, assessments and interviews. The night before the actual assessments you meet with graduates who are already on the programme. You also receive your briefing about activities for the following day.

On the day of the final assessment there were 6 of us. All applying for different roles on the graduate programme. A mix of men and women. Throughout the day we were assessed using the Shell CAR (capacity, achievement, relationships) framework.

There was a test similar to the initial online assessments at the beginning of the application process: You're given different scenarios and expected to respond with solutions or answers that seem most appropriate for the business.

A reflection interview afterwards: to discuss your performance during the exercise.

Followed by a group exercise. After the group task, there is something similar to a case study interview where you are given a fictional scenario about the Shell business and asked to give a presentation based on the information provided.

There is another competency based interview too.

You're not competing for roles with the other graduates on the SRD with you so making friends and working together is a good way to perform well. The 'relationships' aspect of the CAR assessment framework is pretty important.

It was a long day. It started around 8am and didn't end until around 5pm.

Whether or not you pass the SRD, you receive feedback on your performance.

Stage 4: The final stage in the recruitment process where they try to find a suitable graduate opportunity for you within the Shell Group, and determine whether they will be able to make you a formal offer of employment.

Interview Questions
    • Interview Question – Stage 2: Interview questions where I was asked to give multiple examples of time when I had to do XYZ, discuss the challenges and how I tackled them were the most difficult. You're expected to go into a lot of detail and to have plenty of examples ready for the questions they throw at you. For someone with limited professional work experience this was challenging.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in February 2014.

Online application, online test (situational and numerical), face to face interview

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to accomplish something under pressure: what were the key decisions you took during this time?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

I applied online and got a call after a week. I was not able to answer the hone call so i missed my opportunity for the job interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is the best achievement did you have in your previous career ?   Answer Question

Graduate Petroleum Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

applied on SHELL website and then did the online assessments which i passed then offered a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Basically it is what i can summarized for the Shell phone interview:

a) First part
      They asked about
      - your job preferences.

(Check the info you filled in application form)

b) Second part

Criteria: Achievement
      Elaborate one of your project or one accomplishment you are proud of:
      - Position / responsibility you hold
      - Contribution in team
      - Problems / Challenges faced in achieving it?
      - How you solved the problems?
      - How other people view your accomplishments?
      - Involved in decision making?
      - Situation when you had a difference of opinion with someone else.
      - How did you resolve it?
      - A situation where you had to communicate with different types of people.

Criteria: Relationship
      - Have you ever had a situation where you had a misunderstanding with someone?
      - How did you solve it? What are your strategies?
      - Tell me a situation you have to speak to different people of different ranks.How do you speak to different types of people. What are your techniques?

c) Third part

Criteria: Capacity
      Imagine you're in a multinational corporation similar like shell. Discuss on one of the given topics so that your actions would be able to impact the organization.

Topics:
      -CO2 emission
      -R&D
      -Changing percentage of male and female students in universities
      -The use of internet in business environment
      -High quality graduate for the employment market
      -Recruiting and retaining talented individual
      -Education institutions and their role to prepare students for employment.

Questions to be asked:
      - What do you understand from the topic?
      - How, with the course that you want to take would enable you to contribute to this company through this topic?
      - What are the strength and weakness of the topic?
      ture?
      - What would be the challenges faced by the company?
        Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Aberdeen, Scotland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2013.

Experience was Quite different from normal candidate. Took the online test and was told just 4 hours after that i have a technical interview next day. Gave the interview and 1 month after that was called for an assesment centre.

Was first interview and assesment centre of my life. Was nervours and excited . excellent arrangements from thier side.

Assessed Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in December 2013.

Applied online. First step is to upload your CV and additional personal information. The second step involves completing 2 different online tests. One to determine your critical thinking, the second to determine your mathematical skills. Successfully passing this stage, you will be invited for a phone interview or face-face interview. I had a phone interview which was scheduled one month in advance. The interview lasted 1-1.5 hours. I heard the outcome of the interview 5 weeks later. This was longer than expected, as the interviewer informed me it would take only 5 working days.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation on the type of internship (junior, non assessed, assessed), location and discipline.

Worked for Royal Dutch Shell? Contribute to the Community!