Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated 20 Oct 2014
Updated 20 Oct 2014

3.5

Graduate Programmer In Finance Interview

As other people have commented here regarding the online testing but I also wanted to add that, with regard to the first online assessment where you are required to rate actions you would take and then rate the most and least effective solution - DO NOT choose the most ideal ones every time as it presents an unrealistic viewpoint and only shows that you are trying to give what they want.

With the second online assessment you have 18 mins to complete 18 questions that involve analysing charts/graphs and interpreting and calculating information from them. I personally found it very time pressured although the questions weren't particularly difficult. The tests are by Cubiks and there may be practice tests available online or hints and tips on video channels.

Overall, with the first one you should really try to visualise yourself in the scenarios given and think logically about how all stakeholders/people involved are affected rather than just trying to give the model answer. For the second, timed assessment do try and find practice tests available and do them. Even if you can't find cubiks ones try and find a generic test online where you have to analyse and interpret charts and perform calculations AND THEN DO THESE UNDER TIME RESTRICTION. The reason I say this is that it will give your brain a reference point for working under pressure so hopefully you won't be too overwhelmed when you come to this part of the test.

Having said all of that, I completed 10 out of 18 and still got called for an interview so don't lose too much sleep over it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

I initially applied for the Summer internship position in March and got the interview invitation three weeks later. After successfully passing this stage in May, I was invited for the Shell Recruitment Day, which is the last stage of hiring for the internship position. After two months of waiting for the date I was told that I could no longer do the internship with them and that they would invite me for the SRD for the full-time employment later that year. I ended up going for the SRD 11 months after my initial application with them. After what seemed to me as the perfect day at their HQ, I was 99% sure I was gonna get an offer for employment, which didn't happen, because I wasn't the right match.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed their perceptiveness to the applicants and wouldn't mind going through the SRD again just for the fun of it.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do, if local population didn't want the Green technology in their area, because the solar panels are ugly?!   View Answer

Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Their processing time is really fast. I received my phone interview just less than 2 weeks after I submitted my application online. However, the phone interview is really tough and took a longer time than I expected (Approx 1.5 hours). They asked so many questions in terms of my previous experiences. For future candidates, just remember to prepare as many examples as possible.

Interview Questions
    • They asked to provide so many examples for one skills.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Very friendly, first half was why I wanted to Join Shell. Second half was about competencies

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

I applied online and got a call after a week. I was not able to answer the hone call so i missed my opportunity for the job interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is the best achievement did you have in your previous career ?   Answer Question

Graduate Petroleum Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

applied on SHELL website and then did the online assessments which i passed then offered a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Basically it is what i can summarized for the Shell phone interview:

a) First part
      They asked about
      - your job preferences.

(Check the info you filled in application form)

b) Second part

Criteria: Achievement
      Elaborate one of your project or one accomplishment you are proud of:
      - Position / responsibility you hold
      - Contribution in team
      - Problems / Challenges faced in achieving it?
      - How you solved the problems?
      - How other people view your accomplishments?
      - Involved in decision making?
      - Situation when you had a difference of opinion with someone else.
      - How did you resolve it?
      - A situation where you had to communicate with different types of people.

Criteria: Relationship
      - Have you ever had a situation where you had a misunderstanding with someone?
      - How did you solve it? What are your strategies?
      - Tell me a situation you have to speak to different people of different ranks.How do you speak to different types of people. What are your techniques?

c) Third part

Criteria: Capacity
      Imagine you're in a multinational corporation similar like shell. Discuss on one of the given topics so that your actions would be able to impact the organization.

Topics:
      -CO2 emission
      -R&D
      -Changing percentage of male and female students in universities
      -The use of internet in business environment
      -High quality graduate for the employment market
      -Recruiting and retaining talented individual
      -Education institutions and their role to prepare students for employment.

Questions to be asked:
      - What do you understand from the topic?
      - How, with the course that you want to take would enable you to contribute to this company through this topic?
      - What are the strength and weakness of the topic?
      ture?
      - What would be the challenges faced by the company?
        Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in February 2014.

Online application, online test (situational and numerical), face to face interview

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to accomplish something under pressure: what were the key decisions you took during this time?   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

The online reasoning test was straight forward. Make sure you can justify your decisions. There is no time limit, so take your time and consider what would be the most logical response.
    The numerical test is not particularly hard, but the time constraint adds pressure. The obvious thing to do is practice the widely available online examples first, and be confident you can work out the typical solutions quickly.
    For the telephone interview, emphasis was on working relationships and other common competencies. My advice is to put some time in and think about your experiences and how these demonstrate core competencies. In my case, I was interviewed by an experienced technical member of staff. The interviewer was vey friendly and I enjoyed the process. In some ways, there is unlimited prep one can do, for a good interview (as i had) takes examples you've given and really pulls them apart, for example picking on particular parts of your answer and investigate this further. With that said, another piece of very obvious advice is do not lie. No knowledge of the company was required in my case, but I think referring to the company (current/past projects etc) was appreciated. Haven't done the next stage yet... good luck.

Interview Questions
    • "You mentioned a particular relationship. What problems did you encounter with this?"   View Answer
    n/a - haven't finished yet

Intern Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

I was sponsored by Shell for my Masters course. I took part in an assessed internship over three months. Nailed the technical work, getting 77% on my thesis. Final employment decision is carried out by HR which includes a 15 minute presentation to HR followed by an hour of capacity questions. I guess they didn't think I was Shell enough.

Interview Questions
    • A time when you dealt with a conflict.   View Answer

Assessed Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in December 2013.

Applied online. First step is to upload your CV and additional personal information. The second step involves completing 2 different online tests. One to determine your critical thinking, the second to determine your mathematical skills. Successfully passing this stage, you will be invited for a phone interview or face-face interview. I had a phone interview which was scheduled one month in advance. The interview lasted 1-1.5 hours. I heard the outcome of the interview 5 weeks later. This was longer than expected, as the interviewer informed me it would take only 5 working days.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation on the type of internship (junior, non assessed, assessed), location and discipline.